Police Records Check For A Retirement Visa

The money must not go below 800K for two months before application date.

I've nothing definitive to base this on -- just a very hazy recollection of something along these lines discussed here a year or so ago.........

.....but it may be possible to not have the two month seasoning when you submit your form TM86 to convert your TR visa to a Non Imm O (since seasoning requirements seem to be for extensions, not in-country visa conversions). Instead, just showing that you have 800k in the bank *may* be enough -- since in most reported circumstances they tell you to come back 60+ days later to apply for your one-year extension. And, of course, '60+' days later will then give you the necessary 'two months' in the bank.

The other side of this coin is...if you do have all the requisite requirements, including a two month seasoning, some Immigration offices/officers will do same day service, giving both a Non Imm O visa conversion -- and a one-year extension at the same time.

Certainly worth a try -- particularly if you don't already have an 800k account established when you enter Thailand for 60 days on your TR visa. Otherwise, you'll need to leave and re-enter Thailand -- or flop down 1900 baht for a 30-day extension -- in order to have two months seasoning for your Non Imm O application. Shame to actually go through this -- if it turns out you didn't have to.

Because This Page suggests police clearance and health clearance are required for any application for this kind of visa.

No wonder for the confusion. The link is a direct quote from the MFA website -- and is full of errors. That it's repeated on Thaivisa as kosher is additional travesty.

(Sorry for the following repetition. But maybe by explaining it one more way will prevent some newbies from getting tripped-up -- especially when they're getting mislead by seemingly valid websites......)

For some reason, MFA believes that "long stays" received within Thailand are exactly the same as those issued by MFA in their consulates abroad, namely: Non Imm O-A visas. So, by extension, MFA assumes police and medical requirements are also needed, just as with their O-A visas. All the above premises are wrong.

MFA is completely out of the loop in their assumptions on how "long stays" are issued within Thailand. As this function is not handled by MFA, but by the Immigration Police, it's possible (albeit minutely) to see their confusion.

The Immigration Police don't issue Non Imm O-A visas as the vehicle for allowing "long stays." Instead, they grant 'one-year extensions of stay." And the initial "one-year extension of stay is obtained by having a current "permission to stay" obtained while having a valid Non Immigrant visa. Subsequent renewals of 'one-year extensions of stay' can be obtained indefinitely, as long as the particular monetary, marriage, etc. requirements are still met -- and if accomplished before the previous 'one-year extension of stay' has expired. This procedure does not require that one has a valid Non Immigrant visa. In fact, if the chain of annual extension renewals has not been broken, one's original Non Imm visa could have expired decades ago. It's validity is no longer required.

The Non Immigrant visas that eventually lead to initial "one-year extensions of stay" are, for the most part, obtained abroad from MFA at a Thai embassy or consulate (or by an MFA-chartered Honorary Consulate).

But a few years back, for whatever reason, Immigration began issuing Non Immigrant visas in-country to those who could qualify for one-year extensions of stay. These are not "long stay" O-A visas, but are of the variety that allow a '90-day permission of stay,' during which you apply for your one-year extension of stay. As such, you're in the same position as one who enters Thailand on a Non Immigrant visa obtained abroad that affords a 90-day permission to stay period. This also means that the methodology leading to a one-year stay in Thailand is governed by Immigration criteria, not MFA. Thus, no need for a medical or police report.

Two ways to obtain an in-country Non Immigrant visa: Form TM86 to convert a Tourist Visa to a Non Immigrant visa; Form TM87 to convert a 30-day entry stamp to a Non Immigrant visa.

Both methods require 21-days remaining on your permission to stay period. So with the TM87 method, you've only got 9 days to get your requirements in order -- and visit Immigration.

Per usual, consistency among the Immigration offices is -- inconsistent. Some, if you arrive with all your requirements needed for the one-year extension, will issue you both your Non Imm visa -- and your one-year extension -- the same day. In another example -- maybe isolated, I don't recall -- the applicant had the income affidavit from his Embassy, they issued the Non Imm visa (good for 90 days), kept the affidavit, and said, 'come back during the last 30 days for your extension -- with a new affidavit from your Embassy.' Ouch.

Anyway, strange things can happen. (Some offices, we've heard, won't even entertain the TM87 route.)

And, per a post above, there's the chance that some Immigration offices/officers won't require the two month bank account seasoning just to obtain the Non Imm visa (only for the subsequent extension). That would be nice. But, for the bloke who goes the TM87 route, and who gets the 'come back when the money's aged' routine -- that could be inconvenient, to say the least.

So, beware potential minefields. And don't believe everything your read on Thaivisa -- even if it looks official. (Jeez, if you can't believe Thaivisa....... :) )

I must be missing something here.

a) If I decide to extend my (90-day) stay in Thailand with 'retirement status' because I am over 50, I don't need a police check; but

:D If I go home to apply for a retirement Visa I do need a police check?

:)

Correct, you need a national "criminal record" when applaying to the Thai Embassy in your homecountry

<<You need a bank letter obtained just before you go to immigration (verifying your balance). You need a copy of your bank book.>>

Personal experience, but maybe it depends on the official you happen to get. The letter OR the bank book should show the 800,000 baht, or increments totaling the 800K, as received at the bank in a wire from a foreign bank. They don't like cash deposits for this procedure.....or so I am told. The Immigration agent I spoke with asked me to return to the bank to obtain this information. I had to return to the exact bank at which I set up the account, in my case, it was Bangkok Bank at the Emporium. I was back in one hour and was done.

I came in on a tourist visa, then converted to a Type O non-immigrant, (that's when the bank info was needed), then applied for a one year extension.

This whole procedure is so painless that I am amazed about all the complaints. Example: I opened my BB savings account with $1,000 usd and received an ATM/card immediately. Perhaps that I decided to forego ragged shorts and flip flops made a difference. Who knows? I certainly did not wear a suit to the bank or immigration, but put on a pair of pants and a clean shirt and you will be received in a better manner.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by jwisland

This was an Immigration Officer (agent would be someone helping you) in Bangkok? Recently? I have not seen that request being made for several years; although it used to be common to ask if not shown clearly in bank passbook (usually it is) and in Bangkok Bank always is.

This was an Immigration Officer (agent would be someone helping you) in Bangkok? Recently? I have not seen that request being made for several years; although it used to be common to ask if not shown clearly in bank passbook (usually it is) and in Bangkok Bank always is.

You are correct. I have heard from other friends that they did not need to show this. Again, this was Bangkok Bank, although I'm mystified why the agent (immigration, not anyone helping) would pick up on "Bangkok Bank". This was two months ago. Regardless, I was asked and I provided. It took only time, which we all have. All in all, I have received only courtesy requests from Immigration. Whether I needed to grant their requests was a moot point. TIT. I was happy to oblige. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I am in a foreign country and if asked to walk 3 times around the block, have two cups of coffee, and bring back an expresso for the agent.....I would. hel_l......legal or not.....it's fun. Always more stories to tell to my grandchildren.

Cheers,

jeff

and what about if u have a police record that is not exactly squeekyclean?

just get a single non im in ur homecountry and then when you get here put 800,000 in the bank right away as first timers only need show 2 months.

AS to having to show money coming in, for phuket they dont care. I always deposit the money myself in country. If ur american just go up to the embassy in bangkok and tell them (swear to it) that you have an income of 65,000/month and that satisgys the money ion the bank.

Edited by phuketrichard

My understanding is that you don't need that anymore, it was dropped from the requirements a couple of years ago.

I moved to Thailand a couple of years ago. On an retirement 0. I did get a letter from UK police. But it wasn't asked for at Immigration.

jb1

The police record check is required only for an OA visa issue - that is done in your home country prior to arrival thus the need for a local police check from your home country authorities. It has never been required for retirement extension of stay inside Thailand.