Thai Residency? Can I Change To Be A Thai National?

My question is, can i change my nationality to be thai.? or get Residency..?

I am 28 years old, i have lived here since i was 9 years old...( Thats 19 years..)

My Entire Family lives here, Father, 8 brothers and Sisters (all mixed Thai/Eng) - i am the odd one out.

I am British.

I Speak, Read, Write Thai, as an Educated Thai does...

I have my own family, wife & child, we own 2 of our own homes.

I have a good job that i have been in for many years, with a suitable income that lets us lead the life we wish.

Now, to be honist - if i got off my arse and talked to a legal team, i am sure i would get the answer, but gonna see what i can get from here.

Maybe some good advise will come, and even maybe some contacts.

Idealy i would like to change my British Passport to Thai ID Card, and Be Thai.. (i mean lets be honist i have been here most of my life, with no reason to ever leave (i dont actually know anyone abroad)..

So, if anyone knows, has any advise, or any thaughts...please share..

You say you have a mixed family, so you might already have it. You already have Thai nationality if one of your parents has Thai nationality.

Othewise you might qualify for permanent residence and after that for Thai nationality. Read the pinned topic here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Camerata-s-G...ide-t74654.html

It is a long topic but gives a lot of information, the procedure is also a very long one.

He's the odd one out, He's British - I thought he made it pretty clear in his post.

I'd guess you have to go through residency etc... and on from that to Citizenship.

Edited by Benjie

if one of your parents is Thai, and you were born outside of Thailand....then you need to go to the Thai embassy in that country where you were born.

they can isssue you with a Thai birth certificate, and you can apply for a Thai passport at the same time, returning to Thailand on that passport. You can then get on the tabieen baan, and then get the ID card.

If neither of your parent are a Thai citizen, then you need to go through the process to get PR. What visa have you been living on in thailand to date?

Maintain dual-citizenship if the U.K. or Thailand allows it. Heaps of advantages.

SUCH AS?

Can travel back and forth without having to apply for Visas.

Can live in either Country without the hassle of satisfying Immigration regulations.

That's 2 for a start. And they do allow it.

Maintain dual-citizenship if the U.K. or Thailand allows it. Heaps of advantages.

SUCH AS?

land ownership, business ownership, real freedom of movement, hassel free existence in Thailand for a myriad of things.

I've got two passports (Thai/Australian), my children three.....lucky little ones they are.

Yes, i am British, My Mother is British and so is my father, All my other brothers and sister are from my Step Mother, Thai.

Sorry i thought i was clear, but maybe not...

When i was younger i was on a visa done by my father, not sure what it was, should ask... when i got older, my father just got me a Non-O Multiple Entry though one of his companies.. and had that renewed untill my later years, in the job i am in now, and have held a Workpermit for the last 6yrs.

Hope thats helps..

Yes, i am British, My Mother is British and so is my father, All my other brothers and sister are from my Step Mother, Thai.

When i was younger i was on a visa done by my father, not sure what it was, should ask... when i got older, my father just got me a Non-O Multiple Entry though one of his companies.. and had that renewed untill my later years, in the job i am in now, and have held a Workpermit for the last 6yrs.

Hope thats helps..

then you'll need to go for PR.

Start here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Camerata-s-G...ide-t74654.html

Applications open for 2 weeks each year in December...you should look at starting to get the paperwork together. So long as you have 3 years of tax returns, you'll be fine.

Hope thats helps..

then you'll need to go for PR.

Start here:

Applications open for 2 weeks each year in December...you should look at starting to get the paperwork together. So long as you have 3 years of tax returns, you'll be fine.

Ok that sounds Great i will get on to that....

Tax returns, my Accounts Department at work sort that out, every year i sign and get a refund. is that the right paper work?

thanx for your advice,

I suggest you wander down to immigration and explain your situation to them. There is a specific office which handles PR applications and from all accounts are pretty helpful, and will usually be able to guide you on which category you should apply under.

Given you basically are a genuine long termer, who speak the language fluently, they'll likely be very co-operative.

28 years is OK.

For younger readings this topic you must consider that you can be drafted into the military.

They don't want an old geezer like you. :)

I thought you were still in the "lottery pool" until the age of 30?

naturalised Thai men aren't eligble to be drafted.

....... Heaps of advantages.

SUCH AS?

Thailand still likes to kill from time to time thai prisoners! :) But as i know, they do not kill europeans.

=> if you become thai, never give up the british passport.

SUCH AS?

Try touring the world on a Thai passport.

Try touring the world on a UK passport.

Now feel and see the difference.

Having economic trouble, try to survive in Thailand.

Now try to do the same in the UK, or anywhere in the EU.

See the difference.

Now you can get a job somewhere in the EU.

Try to do that on a Thai passport.

And do the same on a UK passport.

Enjoy the difference.

Need I go on?

I assure you, having dual nationality is a very good thing to have.

If one of the nationalities is a European one, enjoy the benefits of the EU.

Edited by hansnl

....... Heaps of advantages.

SUCH AS?

Thailand still likes to kill from time to time thai prisoners! :) But as i know, they do not kill europeans.

=> if you become thai, never give up the british passport.

I'll keep that in mind should I decide to go on a murdering rampage or decide to get into the drug industry... :D

I suggest you wander down to immigration and explain your situation to them. There is a specific office which handles PR applications and from all accounts are pretty helpful, and will usually be able to guide you on which category you should apply under.

Given you basically are a genuine long termer, who speak the language fluently, they'll likely be very co-operative.

Yes, i may do this... sounds right..

Immigration moved from what i know, did this office move also?..

do u know what office it is? i can just ask there i supose..

Thanx for the advice.!

Yes head to the new immigration center on Chaeng Wattana road (entrance is by soi 7 just after CAT telecom).

Once you turn into the soi go all the way to the end of the soi.... you will pass a bunch of buildings on your right (all government agency's I believe). The new building where immigration was moved to is the last building on your right.

Once you go inside follow the signs for "immigration". Once you get inside you can get a que number. All sections are now color coded, you will want "white color". Once you get your card, the are you want to be in is in the back right hand corner.

There are not a lot of people waiting in line, so you will need to poke your head in and politely ask if they can help you or if you should sit down and wait to be called. More than likely no one else is waiting and she will tell you to go ahead and sit down.

Explain your situation and she will give you a sheet with all of the requirements (one side in English, the other in Thai). Take a quick look to ensure that you understand everything required and ask her when the window for submitting an application is this year (should be next month or in Dec).

Then go and get everything and come back and submit within the deadline...

(I spoke with them a couple of weeks ago and they were very helpful, but I still have a couple more years of taxes to pay before I qualify :) )

Edited by CWMcMurray

I don't think its actually difficult... it seems to just be a seriously long term waiting game with no known end at site.

From what I have heard, while they have continued to accept applications every year, they haven't actually given anyone PR since 2006.

• 10 months later...

I don't think you mentioned if your wife is Thai or not. If she is, you can apply for Thai nationality by naturalisation without having permanent residence first under the 2008 Nationality Act. If your Thai step mother had adopted you as a child, that might have been an easier route but I don't think it works for adults. Go to Special Branch at Building 24 National Police HQ to find out about latest requirements for citizenship.