Taking Big Bags Of A Fine (protein) Powder Through Foriegn Airports

RoastLamb

Reading the thread titled 'Protein' a little down the page it appears that protein powder is very expensive in Thailand. I know I could adjust my diet to take in lots of protein without any whey (eggs, fish, very cheap), but i'm thinking of bringing a 5kg bag with me anyway, since I will be travelling light.

So is there any reason to be slightly afraid of putting this powder in my checked luggage and sending it through Mumbai and onto Bangkok? I dread to think of the consequences if any customs official suspected for even one minute that it was something illegal. I'd definitely end up out of pocket in one way or another.

I don't think you'd end up out of pocket. Worse case scenario would be questioning and a (possibly considerable esp. in India) delay.

Dress very respectably and if this arises, smile a lot, explain what it is, offer them a taste it so as to see that it is in fact a food item. Would further help to have something labeled, or label from the bag, just in case.

I once encountered similiar issue entering the US with large quantity of green Thai curry paste, it was Honolulu which is apparently one of the tougher customs entry point and of course I was coming from Thailand, which was enough to have them search my luggage and then when they saw the green goop they were all over it sure it was some form of dope. I just explained and ultimately got them to taste it.

of course odds are you won't be checked at all but wise to be prepared for the eventuality.

Its fine mate. I travel all the time with protein powder, creatien, various herbal teas and a load of other supplements and they are all in zip lock bags to save space. You are not doing anyingthing wrong or illegal, so whats the issue??

In theory there shouldn't be any issue. If I was travelling through Europe or the US I wouldn't be worried at all. However, I only have a two hour stopover in India so if something like the below happens and i end up getting questioned, what would happen? Would they just put me on another flight? Or would I have to pay for it myself? This is what I mean about being out of pocket.

I don't think you'd end up out of pocket. Worse case scenario would be questioning and a (possibly considerable esp. in India) delay.

Dress very respectably and if this arises, smile a lot, explain what it is, offer them a taste it so as to see that it is in fact a food item. Would further help to have something labeled, or label from the bag, just in case.

I once encountered similiar issue entering the US with large quantity of green Thai curry paste, it was Honolulu which is apparently one of the tougher customs entry point and of course I was coming from Thailand, which was enough to have them search my luggage and then when they saw the green goop they were all over it sure it was some form of dope. I just explained and ultimately got them to taste it.

of course odds are you won't be checked at all but wise to be prepared for the eventuality.

Thanks for the responses. Although now i'm more unsure than ever :)

So is there any reason to be slightly afraid of putting this powder in my checked luggage and sending it through Mumbai and onto Bangkok? I dread to think of the consequences if any customs official suspected for even one minute that it was something illegal. I'd definitely end up out of pocket in one way or another.

Wouldn't this protein be in the orginial bag or container jar?

It's only protein.

Actually the Indian supplement market is MASSIVE and customs are now used to people carrying these products into he country for personal consumption.

Sealed containers are best as they clearly state constitution.

Ziplock bags with coloured powders will surely result in some drama if you have been stopped and asked to display contents of bags.

Stuff like creatine etc is best dumped in a container of multivitamins.

Try taking protein into Australia..sheesh! The nigerians probably have it easier taking in the talcum powder :)

Actually the Indian supplement market is MASSIVE and customs are now used to people carrying these products into he country for personal consumption.

Sealed containers are best as they clearly state constitution.

Ziplock bags with coloured powders will surely result in some drama if you have been stopped and asked to display contents of bags.

Stuff like creatine etc is best dumped in a container of multivitamins.

Try taking protein into Australia..sheesh! The nigerians probably have it easier taking in the talcum powder :)

The Australian's Xray all baggage and it shows 'em whether it is animal, vegetable or mineral.

I always stock up when i return to the UK: I take a picture of the front cover of the protein tub - if i get stopped I just show them the picture and say taste it if you want. They chuckle and we part company.

Thanks for that mate. Do you put it in your checked luggage or hand luggage? Checked I assume. How often do you get stopped? My protein is chocolate smooth flavour and very nice, so i'll try the taste test should i get stopped :)

I always stock up when i return to the UK: I take a picture of the front cover of the protein tub - if i get stopped I just show them the picture and say taste it if you want. They chuckle and we part company.

Thanks for that mate. Do you put it in your checked luggage or hand luggage? Checked I assume. How often do you get stopped? My protein is chocolate smooth flavour and very nice, so i'll try the taste test should i get stopped :)

I too have been bringing it from the States in zip locks, no one has asked. But a point to consider, especially if you don't want to shlep around extra weight, one can buy on Sukhmvit in local pharmacy (near Soi 15), Merikan high quality proteen powder for about 2300 for a 5 lb container. not much more than it costs in the west. prices are bound to drop further, if you find the importer...

I have brought in 3 tubs of protein in zip-lock bags into BKK. I chose to bring it in bags instead of the big plastic tubs since it would save weight and space. I place the labels on the bags so it would explain what it was. One time, on my carry on luggage, I had to check my bag into the xray machine at the Singapore airport and the numerous pill I had (creatine; fat burners and such) were questioned by the authorities, but no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Reading the thread titled 'Protein' a little down the page it appears that protein powder is very expensive in Thailand. I know I could adjust my diet to take in lots of protein without any whey (eggs, fish, very cheap), but i'm thinking of bringing a 5kg bag with me anyway, since I will be travelling light.

couple weeks late but...

a lot of the protein companies (here in the US, anyway) now sell refill bags in addition to the plastic tubs- at a reduced price as well. for my trip, that is the route i am going- figure a sealed bag with company info on it is easier to explain than a ziplock bag full of powder. example would be allthewhey. here's a link to show you what the bags look like (as an aside, their direct prices are much higher than buying from a reseller- the reseller i use just doesn't have a picture to link to. also, since the default in the link is peanut butter flavour, i feel compelled to interject that that is a horrible tasting flavour! the chocolate is awesome): http://www.allthewhey.com/awpi05rf.html no affiliation, i just happen to like their whey powder and their refill bags are great for travel.

Edited by idiot farang

• 3 months later...

Im in the US now and I calculated that in Thailand, protein powder costs FOUR times as much for an inferior brand, and creatine 3x as much.

Im bringing in 2 ten pound bags of protein, 2kg container creatine, and 3 to 6 bottles of vitamins.

but, it won't last forever.

why can't someone sell quality stuff for a decent price in Thailand?

why can't a company set up a distributor in SE asia?

Oh well.