Buell Motorcycles------> R.i.p.

submaniac

That's a real shame as it was the only "Harley" I would ever have considered riding.

I liked the sports style and the innovation they introduced to their bikes, it's was a shame that whilst living in the UK they were too expensive to consider next to Japanese competitors.

Guess the recession has finished them off.

I agree with Peaceblondie. I always thought that Erik Buell was a good engineer, and could have come up with some cool stuff if he wasn't tethered to the Sportster engine. I mean the Sportster engine is a good engine for a Harley, but not a sportbike. It was the only large displacement sportbike left that only had a 5 speed transmission when the Japanese went to 6 speeds in the 1980's (6 speeds are readily available on low cost 250 cc bikes as well).

Compared to a Japanese 4 cylinder...forget about it. Compared to the twins of Ducati, Honda (RC51) or Suzuki (TL1000), not alot of people could justify it (the Buells--aside from the entry level 'Blast' model--were not cheap). On the Buell website under FAQ's it talks about how Harley was not making as much money off the Buells as it was off its regular Harley Davidson branded bikes. It totally makes sense. Someone who wants to buy a "Harley" wants a traditional Harley... and I'm sure those big 'ol Harleys have a good profit margin. If they want sportbikes, they go Japanese and save some $$$. I don't like the idea of another MC manufacturer biting the dust (the more the merrier I say) BUT it makes sense.

I always thought it was a strange bike, aimed at harley riders wanting to go a bit faster, :) .i have ridden one and for me it felt agricultural,and weird handling. i dont understand for the life of me why they didnt offer a jap engined alternative, ala bimota,...oh well..

Harleys are junk, slow and heavy

I was driving in my car behind this loud Harley, it sounded loud and fast, so i am behind him and he goes thru first gear, second gear,

third gear, i am still behind him and i look down at my spedometer and he is doing 30mph lol

all show, no go

I'll stick to GSXr / R1

Harleys are junk, slow and heavy

I was driving in my car behind this loud Harley, it sounded loud and fast, so i am behind him and he goes thru first gear, second gear,

third gear, i am still behind him and i look down at my spedometer and he is doing 30mph lol

all show, no go

I'll stick to GSXr / R1

Are you a bike rider? :) You are comparing a HD with bikes like GXXr and R1 or whatever these racing bikes are called. It is like comparing an Elephant with a Cheetah, he-he :D

I never loved ANY bike as much as I love my Road King. I love to look at it, I love to go touring on it as it is very comfortable and not to forget it got soul (which probably many don't understand and never will)

I am 47 years old and don't want to die yet which I probably would if I was riding a racing bike (give me a Ducati please, engine sounds soo cool), so I am very happy on my HD, cruising along between 100-140 km/hour enjoying the sound of my engine and the scenery as well.

If this HD you were riding behind were only doing 30mph flat out in 3rd gear you mush have confused it with a Honda Phantom with open pipe(s) so buy some new glasses or clean the windshield on your car.

If I passed your car flat out in third gear on my HD your false teeth would rattle out of your mouth :D

Yes sad about Buell, never tried one myself but would like to, just for a short trip. :D

Dunno.. I am kinda divided on the buells.. I liked the look, I liked the blunt streetfighter design.. but they always looked heavy and strange, but then I told myself maybe the heavy equalled tough which appeals too..

Have never ridden one.. an XB9 or XB12 was always on my "I wonder" kind of list.. Could never decide if it would fit what I like, after all I dont see the need for modern sportbike speeds here, but I do like the raw wall of torque feeling from a big bore engine (why I always hanker for a 1050 triple) and have to assume they would have some of that.

Shame to see them go..

I just made up my mind about buying a Buell as they are so cheap in CA.

This is very sad indeed! They are excellent though odd looking bikes.

Check out Youtube, they have some awesome videos with great sound & accelleration.

Chris

Didn't the big Rotax solve the power shortage? Did they go into production?

Yes, I think they did. I think it is the "helicon" engine that you are referring to, and apparently it made it into 1125CR:

2009-Buell-1125CRb-small.jpg

and the 1125R:

2009-Buell-1125Ra-small.jpg

which, by the way, I think are actually cool looking bikes (though the 1125R looks like they may have ripped off some Ducati styling).

According to the specs (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Buell-1125R.htm) it is an 1125cc, liquid cooled 72 degree v-twin, producing 146 horsepower. That puts it into the league of the Japanese superbikes (though still underpowered in comparison).

Too bad it was too little too late. If you look at the specs for the sportster engine based Buell's, they're rather pathetic:

The XB12 "lightning" (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Buell-Lightning-XB12Ss.htm) it has a 1203cc air cooled (Harley sportster) engine making a max power of 103 peak hp) and the XB12 'firebolt' (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Buell-Firebolt-XB12R.htm) has the same specs for engine.

Ummm...103 horsepower, and only 5 speed transmission? Whereas a 2009 CBR1000RR makes 178hp has a 6 speed and is $500 less.

According to the specs (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Buell-1125R.htm) it is an 1125cc, liquid cooled 72 degree v-twin, producing 146 horsepower. That puts it into the league of the Japanese superbikes (though still underpowered in comparison).

However whats the weight difference ?? I always thought they were kinda 'heavy' looking but that might be just appearance.

Ummm...103 horsepower, and only 5 speed transmission? Whereas a 2009 CBR1000RR makes 178hp has a 6 speed and is $500 less.

But again its all about 'feel' not specs.. A 100 hp out of a huge twin is going to be big wall of torque v revvy higher end hp.. Not claiming one is right or wrong, I have never ridden one.. But its going to be a feeling that people love or hate I think.

Personally here in Thailand these rockets that can do 180mph and handle track conditions like any super sport 600 750 or 1000 are wasted, sure you can enjoy the extreme power but can you trust the next corner not to have a patch of sand or somchai coming the wrong way up the road, so that riding on the ragged edge high performance is not for me. So then the discomfort factor that you have to suffer to have those advantages dont make sense. With that line of thinking I can see how a more upright, torque'y, powerful but tough blaster would make a good Thailand feel.. Tho my money would still be on a Triumph speed 1050 every time :)

However whats the weight difference ?? I always thought they were kinda 'heavy' looking but that might be just appearance.

But again its all about 'feel' not specs.. A 100 hp out of a huge twin is going to be big wall of torque v revvy higher end hp.. Not claiming one is right or wrong, I have never ridden one.. But its going to be a feeling that people love or hate I think.

Personally here in Thailand these rockets that can do 180mph and handle track conditions like any super sport 600 750 or 1000 are wasted, sure you can enjoy the extreme power but can you trust the next corner not to have a patch of sand or somchai coming the wrong way up the road, so that riding on the ragged edge high performance is not for me. So then the discomfort factor that you have to suffer to have those advantages dont make sense. With that line of thinking I can see how a more upright, torque'y, powerful but tough blaster would make a good Thailand feel.. Tho my money would still be on a Triumph speed 1050 every time :)

My VTX 1800 v-twin had just over 100 hp in a very heavy bike, but the fantastic tourque made acceleration wonderfull. Not as whiplash as a sportsbike, but strong and torquey :D

Yeah seen people love those big twin tourers too..

I just have an open mind to them and all kinda of bikes, people seem to get all spec concious and people chase the hot bikes of the moment but often are totally not ready for them or dont have the right terrain to use them (case in point, the idiots renting super sports from the beach Rd in Patong, can often be outraced all over town by a honda wave in traffic as they simply cant ride the dam_n thing anyway.. Why did they want a 1000CC RR sportbike ?? image and idiocy combined) I also think the bike press (uk anyway) is very much focused on only 'fast bikes' and pushes new riders to jump from learners straight to superports, as though everyone should want a supersport and that is the pinnacle of what a good bike / rider should be, thats what everyone should want to be. I understand super sports are often the tech heavy and push the engineering envelope but how many of us, if we really honest with ourselves, can get the most out of a 'old' sportbike ?? For how many of us would that 20 hp difference between a 150 and a 170 hp bike make much day to day difference ?? I know I cant, and it doesnt bother me one bit to admit it, and I dont think Thailand is the place to try and get that last 10% either.

I love bikes, theres some strange sense of freedom and isolation that riding gives, its both relaxing and demands concentration, its got something that makes you feel alive (my brother says the exact same thing about surfing, you concentrate to the point where all else is excluded from your mind) the whole zen and the art of motorcycle etc.. But for me, its much less the machine and more that feeling I get than I think it might be to many others. Thats the beauty of them, we all love them in slightly different ways.

hel_l some of my favourite rides, have just been through tropical warm night air, on a honda wave, GF holding on, just cruising around under the stars, down to the beach or similar around the island. To many thats not a ride or even a 'bike' but its still one of my favourite things about Thailand, image be damned.

Anyway.. Going way off topic on Beull closing, sorry.

Yeah seen people love those big twin tourers too..

I just have an open mind to them and all kinda of bikes, people seem to get all spec concious and people chase the hot bikes of the moment but often are totally not ready for them or dont have the right terrain to use them (case in point, the idiots renting super sports from the beach Rd in Patong, can often be outraced all over town by a honda wave in traffic as they simply cant ride the dam_n thing anyway.. Why did they want a 1000CC RR sportbike ?? image and idiocy combined) I also think the bike press (uk anyway) is very much focused on only 'fast bikes' and pushes new riders to jump from learners straight to superports, as though everyone should want a supersport and that is the pinnacle of what a good bike / rider should be, thats what everyone should want to be. I understand super sports are often the tech heavy and push the engineering envelope but how many of us, if we really honest with ourselves, can get the most out of a 'old' sportbike ?? For how many of us would that 20 hp difference between a 150 and a 170 hp bike make much day to day difference ?? I know I cant, and it doesnt bother me one bit to admit it, and I dont think Thailand is the place to try and get that last 10% either.

I love bikes, theres some strange sense of freedom and isolation that riding gives, its both relaxing and demands concentration, its got something that makes you feel alive (my brother says the exact same thing about surfing, you concentrate to the point where all else is excluded from your mind) the whole zen and the art of motorcycle etc.. But for me, its much less the machine and more that feeling I get than I think it might be to many others. Thats the beauty of them, we all love them in slightly different ways.

hel_l some of my favourite rides, have just been through tropical warm night air, on a honda wave, GF holding on, just cruising around under the stars, down to the beach or similar around the island. To many thats not a ride or even a 'bike' but its still one of my favourite things about Thailand, image be damned.

Anyway.. Going way off topic on Beull closing, sorry.

great post from a true biker