Fungal Infection In The Ear

femi fan

Seems ear infections are a common problem here. I had constant itching in both ears for some time. Went to local Pharmacy and they gave me Lymarin cream. It worked pretty much straight away ( I carried on using it for a week or so to be sure) and the problem has not recurred.

I know fungi are stubborn and resistant, but i also know my liver can't be enjoying all these pills. I do also wonder if i just forget about it whether the body will do its own healing and evict the fungal invader.

If its not a particularly bad infection you can treat it simply by keeping your ear dry. You can use something like Aqua Ear which is just a mix of alcohol and acetic acid to dry out the moisture several times a day. This will usually get rid of a mild or persistent infection without need for pills (its actually sold as a preventative for swimmers).

Unfortunately you can't use this stuff if your ear is badly inflamed (painful on broken skin). But if you start nocking it down with the pills first you will still have a lot more success finishing it off if you use the alcohol solution towards the end.

Edited by Crushdepth

• 1 year later...
Five days of appalling antibiotics. Recovered from the side-effects, but the infection was made worse.

Three weeks of anti-fungal pills, now finished. Still got the infection.

Six thousand baht lighter, no progress!!

That's doctors and pills. Although i've been given one or two recommendations for other doctors, i'd rather not go back to them.

What else can i do? I have located a homeopathy centre in chiang mai where i live, but yet to make any appointment. Anybody recommend them as an alternative to mainstream medicine?

I know fungi are stubborn and resistant, but i also know my liver can't be enjoying all these pills. I do also wonder if i just forget about it whether the body will do its own healing and evict the fungal invader.

You might want to try Hydrogen Peroxide.Use a 3% solution and allow it to stay in the ear for 10 mins....also very good for cleaning out any ear wax.

Homeopathy won't work as it doesn't work on anything - it is based on erroneous prmises and to use it would simply be a waste of money or worse still dangerous as it will not have any beneficial effect on the infection.