Mitsubishi Triton Tyre Size

bluechipit

It's time for some new tyres for the truck, just in time for the rainy season...

The standard tyre size is 245 x 16 x 70's.

However the shop has some bigger ones, 265 x 16 x 70's - should I go for these, or stick with the standard size?

The bigger ones are BF Goodrich. Are these a decent brand? Do I spend a few hundred baht more, or save my money?

Any advice is appreciated!

Matt.

It's time for some new tyres for the truck, just in time for the rainy season...

The standard tyre size is 245 x 16 x 70's.

However the shop has some bigger ones, 265 x 16 x 70's - should I go for these, or stick with the standard size?

The bigger ones are BF Goodrich. Are these a decent brand? Do I spend a few hundred baht more, or save my money?

Any advice is appreciated!

Matt.

Matt, here is my advice based on 35 years in the auto business, sales, service tba. plus size will accomplish zero results in the positive.

The negatives are: speedometer gear will be incorrect giving you a plus 6% or so error. larger diameter., possible turning interference in the well. 1-2 degree offset in the wheel camber that will cause uneven tire wear and shorten tire life if not realigned. Additional cost of replacement with no benefits.

All suspension is pre-selected to match a specific tire size.

russ

As mentioned by a man who worked in the auto sector there is no positive to changing tire size for normal driving. I like to note to the people who do recommend this that the auto industry employee 1000's of engineers who design autos, including the tire size for maximum benefit to the purchaser. With the lack of California style modification to vehicles here I am amazed at the tire shops who peddle over sized rims and tires. I just replaced a set of tires which I rotated and balanced every 15,000 kilometer. they went 115,000 kilometer.

Is there much difference between 245 x 16 x 70 and 265 x 16 x 70?

I thought the 245 bit is just the width, making the 265 a bit wider... ?

Thats true, the higher number is the width, the next 2 the profile, but going wider on the same profile ( height ) wil also increase the height slightly,.

He is only going wider.

To the 35 years in the field expert. Does not effect diameter. Only width. Even then it is marginal.

What you will get is improved grip. Thanks to a wider footprint.

However you will have increased risk of aquaplaning in the wet. But then again rain is seasonal and not too much of a worry.

The other effect is tramlining. Following ruts and tracks of the road. Still no biggie.

As for the manufacturer. It is a compromise on size. Due to costs, availability, etc.

Don't be a pussy and pass up a sexy upgrade to your ride. Nice tires and rims make a world of difference IMHO the smile on your face from a great looking ride is worth the very minor negatives that's why many people spend money pimping their rides.

Sweet ride Imaneggspurt.

He is only going wider.

To the 35 years in the field expert. Does not effect diameter. Only width. Even then it is marginal.

What you will get is improved grip. Thanks to a wider footprint.

However you will have increased risk of aquaplaning in the wet. But then again rain is seasonal and not too much of a worry.

The other effect is tramlining. Following ruts and tracks of the road. Still no biggie.

As for the manufacturer. It is a compromise on size. Due to costs, availability, etc.

lll have a 50.000 baht bet with you that a tyre with a wider size and the same size profile is also taller than the narrower tyre,...

Don't be a pussy and pass up a sexy upgrade to your ride. Nice tires and rims make a world of difference IMHO the smile on your face from a great looking ride is worth the very minor negatives that's why many people spend money pimping their rides.

Sweet ride Imaneggspurt.

Thanks, i used to live in Calgary ! ,.......