Things You No Longer Do

Tarqin

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 years and I have yet to give up go-gos, street food, motorbikes etc . . . guess there's no hope for me now.

Well guess you are lost in LOS he-he, not the worst place in the world to get lost in. :)

Well I also still do those 3 but the first very seldom.

It is quite funny to sit SOBER in walking street and watch the world pass by, so many strange people find their way here (they properly think the same about me, lol)

I don't dress like a tourist anymore, but wear jeans/proper shoes and a shirt (clean), Thais notice these things and will respect you more if dressed nicely.

Once saw a farang at immigration with a beard/hair cut that haven't been done for app. 4-6 month, flip/flops- armless t shirt (with pit smell), don't think he got his visa or they should at least have told him to go home and get sorted and then try again, but they are many times to polite to do that.

I don't dress like a tourist anymore, but wear jeans/proper shoes and a shirt (clean), Thais notice these things and will respect you more if dressed nicely.

Jeans and a clean shirt - what a paragon of virtue. Do the Thais kneel down in the street when they see you?

Jeans and a clean shirt - what a paragon of virtue. Do the Thais kneel down in the street when they see you?

Yes they do and kiss my feet :)

LOL!

Like Thais in Pattaya actually care about what foreigners wear! Pattaya is a beach town. Wanna dress up, go to Bangkok.

No longer do my own laundry :D

No longer clean my own Apartment. Once a week maid.

No longer drive a car. Motorcycle only for 4 years.

No longer do the bar/club scene, have 6 numbers on call.

No longer fly back to homeland, they want to see me they come here.

No longer worry about going to Thai Immigration, know the ropes now.

No longer wear shorts and sandles, not good on MC, learned the hard way.

No longer cool on MC, always wear helmet.

No longer up front friendly with other expats and tourists.

No longer afraid of Thai cops. They are no worse than where I came from.

No longer worry about anything.

No longer care about the other guys problems, mai pen rai.

No longer care about Bin Laden, Al QUIDA, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan or Pakistan.

I think I am becoming Thai :)

I no longer believe, not even a little, the information a Thai gives me about what to do to get an official document. So many times I have been told by my wife, her family, the police, or others "no problem... all you do is..! You don't need to go to BKK! "

EVERY time so far the person has been wrong. They don't have a clue what we farang need to do to comply, the hoops we need to jump through and the technicalities we face for everything.

I just once again today found out they were wrong, yes I DO need to go to BKK again regarding my driver's license renewal. And everybody thought I was an idiot when I told them yesterday what needed to be done.

Trust ThaiVisa. The mods make sure important info is correct. Don't trust anybody else.

Edited by ThailandLovr

I no longer believe, not even a little, the information a Thai gives me about what to do to get an official document. So many times I have been told by my wife, her family, the police, or others "no problem... all you do is..! You don't need to go to BKK! "

EVERY time so far the person has been wrong. They don't have a clue what we farang need to do to comply, the hoops we need to jump through and the technicalities we face for everything.

I just once again today found out they were wrong, yes I DO need to go to BKK again regarding my driver's license renewal. And everybody thought I was an idiot when I told them yesterday what needed to be done.

Trust ThaiVisa. The mods make sure important info is correct. Don't trust anybody else.

Might be that is because you only hear what you like to hear as you DON"T need to go bangkok for a driver license renewal.You can get your certificate of residence at immigration jomtien by simply showing proof of residence e.g. an uttility bill or rental contract,2 photo's and 200 baht.

Edited by basjke

Might be that is because you only hear what you like to hear as you DON"T need to go bangkok for a driver license renewal.You can get your certificate of residence at immigration jomtien by simply showing proof of residence e.g. an uttility bill or rental contract,2 photo's and 200 baht.

You actually think this is something I wanted to hear? Never mind the details, but I am way ahead of you. Spent most of the day working on this problem, which, yes, included visiting an immigration office. What you stated does not fit everybody's situation. Thanks just the same.

Edited by ThailandLovr

I no longer smoke - and i am plenty happy about that, dont know how or why i stopped, i just woke up one morning and decided not to smoke anymore, and that was it, 28 months now and counting!!!! :)

I no longer wear a watch either, but thats been since i got here some 7 years ago, again no particular reason - i just dont?? :D

You actually think this is something I wanted to hear? Never mind the details, but I am way ahead of you. Spent most of the day working on this problem, which, yes, included visiting an immigration office. What you stated does not fit everybody's situation. Thanks just the same.

I'm sure you are way ahead of everyone,but at least yesterday you were still convinced that you had to make a trip to bangkok.

Anyway to me it takes maybe 30 minutes at the local immigration office instead of spending most of the day on it.But yeah some people don't appreciate advice. :)

I'm sure you are way ahead of everyone,but at least yesterday you were still convinced that you had to make a trip to bangkok.

Anyway to me it takes maybe 30 minutes at the local immigration office instead of spending most of the day on it.But yeah some people don't appreciate advice. :)

I apologize Basjke, I know you were just trying to be helpful. Yesterday was such a bad hair day. I was at a licensing office, an immigration office, police office, and on the phone with two other immigration offices and a different licensing office. Constantly being told conflicting information which was driving me nuts. Without going into the gory details, suffice to say my situation was complicated by my now living in a different city from where my first DL was obtained, and my original immigration office telling me to go to a new immigration office (which is not yet fully operational), inoperative phone numbers, on and on. I finally gave up on anything involving immigration because I was being pointed in circles and decided I will just go to my embassy and get my proof of residency from them. Unfortunately from where I live now a trip to BKK is a one day affair but at least I know I’ll be running around in no more circles. Regards.

Edited by ThailandLovr

I apologize Basjke, I know you were just trying to be helpful. Yesterday was such a bad hair day. I was at a licensing office, an immigration office, police office, and on the phone with two other immigration offices and a different licensing office. Constantly being told conflicting information which was driving me nuts. Without going into the gory details, suffice to say my situation was complicated by my now living in a different city from where my first DL was obtained, and my original immigration office telling me to go to a new immigration office (which is not yet fully operational), inoperative phone numbers, on and on. I finally gave up on anything involving immigration because I was being pointed in circles and decided I will just go to my embassy and get my proof of residency from them. Unfortunately from where I live now a trip to BKK is a one day affair but at least I know I’ll be running around in no more circles. Regards.

My experience is that it most of the time turns out the way you want it with government offices.Just do some talking and make them believe you as they don't know the rules themselves.

One example,but I have several similar over the past 15 years.When I went to apply for a yellow housebook at the local amphur I was told that I needed a thai name registered in the bluebook first.Then I had to go to my embassy for a certificate of residence which had to be translated in thai and stamped by the thai ministry of interior.When I applied I had to take the local village head with me and 2 witnesses registered in the area where my house was build.This was all told to me on tuesday.The next day I went to the same amphur again on my own and with a certificate of residence provided by the local immigration a few weeks earlier,no stamp from the thai interior ministry or any witnesses or village head.One week later I picked up the yellow tabien baan. :D

So I have stopped listening to advise given by any governement offices.

Edited by basjke

• 2 weeks later...

As someone took the Nirum thread out of the deep freeze I thought I might revive this one with two more things I have decided not to do anymore.

1. Attempt to give advice to people who clearly don't want it and are just looking for their opinion to be confirmed and get really arsey when you disagree. So yes Nirums a great place to live.

2. Be amazed that punters are STILL being ripped off with the most obvious scam. And no 20% A WEEK is not an achievable return.

No longer care what anyone thinks about me

Agree Eagle.

Some good answers above.

No longer beleive a word most people say....I know not all are bad but magority ahhhh :)

Take things for granted...people pissed riding bikes TAKE note...lifes too short

Get pissed off.....most of the time.

Think about home much

Not care about what tomorrow brings

On a side note we are all lucky we can enjoy to live here.....remember that.

THere is a place like home....without clicking two red slippers :D