How Does One Become A Moderator For Thai Visa?

cognos

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And are there any incentives to being a moderator?

I got a free T Shirt. :)

Ok, now I see, preferential treatment. Was it one of George's Singha Lite T Shirts he got for free?

didnt u get that cos all the other footie forum members are terrible and have no clue? :D

<I can say this outside the footie forum, but they would kill me if they see it> :D

Some are nice and helpful and have interesting things to say. A very few are petty and angry and seem to be almost looking for a fight.

Are there any moderators who are not left wing liberals? That is the main similarity that I can see. :)

Wouldn't have a clue, I'm a Roman Catholic :D

didnt u get that cos all the other footie forum members are terrible and have no clue? :D

<I can say this outside the footie forum, but they would kill me if they see it> :D

No. For that I got 12 jars of Pasta Sauce. :D

Ok, now I see, preferential treatment. Was it one of George's Singha Lite T Shirts he got for free?

One of the ones left over from the Thai Visa shop that he could not sell :D

This topic reminds me of a time while visiting Turkey. We had just watched a demonstration by some members of the Sufi Mevlevi Order (a.k.a. "whirling dervishes"). The performance was definitely intended for tourists, and all of the people watching were visiting foreigners. After the performance there was a question and answer session, and one of the tourists, a backpacker from America, asked a performer how one becomes a Sufi.

He answered, "you do not find Sufism; Sufism finds you." I thought that was a great answer.

Memory however does not appear to be a prereqisite from my limited experience with the mods on here. After requesting why a recent post was pulled i eventually got the feedback over a week later only to be informed that the mod. couldn't remember why they pulled it!

Luang - every MOD tries our best to provide explanation as to why a post is deleted or modified, why a thread is closed, why warnings are given.

however, there will be occasions when any of us fail to do so

this could be due to any number of reasons. some that I can think of may go something like:

- deleted post, while looking at various threads at once. overlook sending PM to poster whose post was deleted, or overlooking to leave a reason on the thread

- deleted post, then lose internet connection, or connection to thaivisa page

and others that I cant think of at the moment.

but as others have pointed out - while we try our best to MOD in the utmost professional way, MODding is not a 'job' for us, and often other things in life take over. there will be instances when right after taking a certain action (such as deleting a comment), we are called away to something and didnt get to do what is needed. not an excuse, but I thought I would at least make some attempt to explain that we do pay attention to and appreciate the contributions members make to the forum, and that we do try to treat every post and every member keeping that in mind

I hope this will at least give you some insight into what we try to do, and that you will bear with us if at times we do not deliver up to 100% - but its certainly not cos we dont try.

cheers :)

So tell us in the 'life' of a Moderator - how many hours..... let us say - in a week would you be providing your service to Thai visa?

Edit :Sorry Rooo missed your 16 hours a day.......perhaps more people might appreciate the moderators efforts and not be so quick to criticise

Edited by 473geo

So tell us in the 'life' of a Moderator - how many hours..... let us say - in a week would you be providing your service to Thai visa?

Edit :Sorry Rooo missed your 16 hours a day.......perhaps more people might appreciate the moderators efforts and not be so quick to criticise

I did not do the 16 hours :D maybe once, but I know another Mod on here that touches that # on regular basis.

I suppose it varies, again depending on the frequency, sensitivity & number of topics , it can be up to 4 to 5 hours a day.Not solid sessions, but in & out. Some days 2 hours , once or twice 6+. Mind that scenario is only applicable to myself.

But you also have Mods from different time zones, that a lot of members here are unaware of or don't pay much attention too.They tend to look after PUI's :) , poor buggers.

A better question is who would WANT to be a moderator? There is no pay and very little thanks. And, you always look like the bad guy.

Let the posters decide who are to be the moderators not the ivory tower wallahs! :)

Never works when the rats run the ship..... :D

...with the original beer stains?

...with the original beer stains?

Beer does not stain :D Oh no, not that T Shirt :D

Don't forget the death threats.

You don't have to be a Mod to get them :)

That's not as silly as it sounds, I was once involved in another forum where some people were involved in threats that we took seriously enough to fold our tent and ride into the sunset.

You don't have to be a Mod to get them :D

That's not as silly as it sounds, I was once involved in another forum where some people were involved in threats that we took seriously enough to fold our tent and ride into the sunset.

What? Are there other forums besides ThaiVisa? :)

Surely a site such as TV relies on high quality content to maintain it's membership, I agree the site also needs good quality administration to maintain law and order and avoid the courts and closure. But it cannot be in the best interests of its membership to convert good content producers into administrative overhead. Personally I thing Jingthing is an excellent poster and therefore represents great content - turning a Jingthing for example into a Moderator would be a negative move overall since it would reduce content volume and quality Just a thought.

You don't have to be a Mod to get them :D

What? Are there other forums besides ThaiVisa? :)

So YOU were the one who knocked on my door and ran away! :D