How Does One Become A Moderator For Thai Visa?

cognos

First of all, I would NOT qualify, as I have WAY too many faults, and would not covet the position in any case, however I am pondering the question ..how does one become a Moderator or a SUPER Moderator? I assume you have to be a friend of George's, but assuming (makes an ass of U and me) anything on Thai Visa would be a large mistake. From what I can gather, intelligence and a rational perspective at all times seems to be one possible attribute necessary to join this "exclusive" club, as would being a LOS expat I would think. If the Mods are looking for more prospective Mods, I would nominate someone like "Ian", but I am quite certain he would not be interested, as he is too busy spending his time writing thoughtful and insightful posts, in between consorting with blissful members of the opposite sex. The only trolling I am interested in,btw, is trolling for the coho(salmon) that are congregating around Vancouver as we speak, waiting for the rains to enable them to "moderate" their way to their spawning grounds.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And, you always look like the bad guy.

dont they say women loveeeeeeee bad boys? :D

might be worth doing a poll to ask the MODs if they get a lot of attention from gals :)

might be worth doing a poll to ask the MODs if they get a lot of attention from gals :)

"Hey handsome. Talk dirty to me"

"Err...OK......Holidays will be handed out....err......please keep on topic....err....one reference to the monarchy has been deleted.....err...keep it civil please....err..."

"Ooh daddy! That's what I like!" :D

Edited by mca

Any figure in authority is bound to have an unenviable job, as someone has to be right and someone wrong! But I too have wondered about the selection process for MODS, anyone can answer this and put it to a timely rest?

Mr. Smith

I dunno but the psychological profiling and FBI checks must cost a fortune. :)

Any figure in authority is bound to have an unenviable job, as someone has to be right and someone wrong! But I too have wondered about the selection process for MODS, anyone can answer this and put it to a timely rest?

Mr. Smith

I dunno but the psychological profiling and FBI checks must cost a fortune. :)

We have been debating whether to bring in retrospective psychological assessments for members of ThaiVisa :D

Mr. Smith

Well the selection process, is initiated by admin or senior moderators. They get recommendations or recommend someone to the position in the appropriate forum.

Criteria encompasses many aspects,your involvement in this particular forum, your input, your knowledge of fellow members & the locality.

Again your general behavior is a determining factor,your responses to questions or debates, your attempts at level headed behavior, which can be taxing at times,all these are factors are taken into consideration in the selection process.

Well these are just some of the criterias, I'm sure some people in admin or other mods can shed more light on the subject.

I am suprised this has not been closed as discussing the moderators is not allowed, you know free speech and all that.

This is not a discussion of moderation , it's simply an honest inquiry of the process of becoming a moderator.

I am suprised this has not been closed as discussing the moderators is not allowed, you know free speech and all that.

This is not a discussion of moderation , it's simply an honest inquiry of the process of becoming a moderator.

Yet another example of top quality moderating Roo.

I would not like being a mod, i was one of a few forum b4 but like others say your always in the middle and your never doing it right (according to others). Doing a job here on this board would be even harder because of all the rules and thai libel lawas.

The simple answer to how I became a mod: George asked me. :)

The long answer?

Show you are a reasonable sensible person, not giving to baiting, flaming, nastiness, trolling and general hate mongering. Show a concept of why the rules are in place and why they need to be enforced. Behave like a civilized human being with good manners and maybe we will punish you enough to subject you to the general abuse and nastiness that some people feel is part and parcel of being a member of a forum. :D

Memory however does not appear to be a prereqisite from my limited experience with the mods on here. After requesting why a recent post was pulled i eventually got the feedback over a week later only to be informed that the mod. couldn't remember why they pulled it!

The simple answer to how I became a mod: George asked me. :D

The long answer?

Show you are a reasonable sensible person, not giving to baiting, flaming, nastiness, trolling and general hate mongering. Show a concept of why the rules are in place and why they need to be enforced. Behave like a civilized human being with good manners and maybe we will punish you enough to subject you to the general abuse and nastiness that some people feel is part and parcel of being a member of a forum. :D

Have there ever been a mod 'go bad'..........and revert back to using the topics in the 'long answer'........... :)

The simple answer to how I became a mod: George asked me. :)

The long answer?

That rules me out then. Another pre-requisite for people like myself must be to not PUI (posting under the influence), a rule that I would break regularly.

Just like any thing else in life there are good and bad.

However I believe some prerequisites, are be able to hold a discussion and well be moderate in views and actions.

Edited by Rooo
Removed swipe at moderator, Rooo.

Some other points:

Is being a moderator a full time job? And are there any incentives to being a moderator?

I would think that this job is very time consuming.

What about the legal aspects? How does admin know that a moderator is suitable for, well, being a moderator?

Does one have to be tried and tested first, or can anyone apply?

What about job vacancies, such as in admin. Do any appear from time to time and if so, where are these advertised?

Some other points:

Is being a moderator a full time job? And are there any incentives to being a moderator?

What about the legal aspects? How does admin know that a moderator is suitable for, well, being a moderator?

What about job vacancies, such as in admin. Do any appear from time to time and if so, where are these advertised?

Part-time; as you have time. Mods circle the globe. No real incentives other than community service, seeing your name in red, a few free meals per year, etc.

No need to apply.

Some other points:

These are my views & not those of Thaivisa.

Well it's up to your circumstances if you make it a full time job.Some Mods have the constraints of work,family etc....some have more time on their hands. So I think at the end it balances out.

Some moderators can spend a considerate amount of time on occasions, depending on issues being discussed, from a few hours to 16 hours a day.

As for incentives, besides the around the world trip once a year :) no more then what members have in the form of a TV get together.

Well , you do not apply, you are approached to become a moderator.You have been observed over a period & in general your character is assessed through your posts & general behavior on the forum.

As for legal aspects, as long as you adhere to forum rules & guidelines, you are pretty much a safe bet.

I am not very Au fait with that aspect, so maybe someone from admin can help with this one.