Honda Civic

raro

Just curious...the Civic is shortlisted for being raro's future ride.

From what I heard, the Civic has some issues with wheel bearings and they come at a price. Is this correct and are there any other problems with this car that I should be aware of?

I do quite some mileage (about 45,000 km per year) and don't want to have it in for service too often....

I also haven't heard of a bearing problem and I have been researching Civics for a while now. Believe have heard some comments about brake pads on earlier models. Will be picking up my Civic 2.0 this Saturday I ordered 3 months ago. :)

I also haven't heard of a bearing problem and I have been researching Civics for a while now. Believe have heard some comments about brake pads on earlier models. Will be picking up my Civic 2.0 this Saturday I ordered 3 months ago. :D

3 months??? :) I think I should order soon then....

Thanks for all the positive input, the Civic moved way up in the shortlist. :D

I also haven't heard of a bearing problem and I have been researching Civics for a while now. Believe have heard some comments about brake pads on earlier models. Will be picking up my Civic 2.0 this Saturday I ordered 3 months ago. :D

3 months??? :) I think I should order soon then....

Thanks for all the positive input, the Civic moved way up in the shortlist. :D

I've got a 2.0 7th gen model and never had a wheel bearing problem aftr 140K. Only realy things to go wrong are the front rubber suspension bushes (work out recently). Oh and the airbag sensor is faulty - not fixed yet as that costs 17K

I had a 2.0 Civic for 3 years and was very, very happy with it. I did find the fuel consumption in the city a little on the high side compared with my older Accord, but on the highway it was amazingly frugal. Very zippy and never a problem.

Parts generally are a bit more expensive than Toyota and other similar brands, but Honda really does offer excellent service. I have been using the branch at Sri Ayutthaya road in Bangkok for about 8 years now and I rate their service as A+++ outstanding. Highly recommended.

Just as tall as Raro and there is plenty, but what is left behind the driver is small, also the rear roofline is low for any tall people in the back and the same in the accord, found myself hitting the roof on bumps, the also are a very noisy car on the road compared to my old 92 e34 bm, they dont seem to use sound deadening much and driving in the rain you hear a lot thru the floor with the splashes from driving thru puddles.

I was considering the civic too, but swapping the BM m20 motor with a nissan gtr motor and a clean up seems a lot better right now.

Just as tall as Raro and there is plenty, but what is left behind the driver is small, also the rear roofline is low for any tall people in the back and the same in the accord, found myself hitting the roof on bumps,

as long as I'm driving I couldn't care less :)

the also are a very noisy car on the road compared to my old 92 e34 bm, they dont seem to use sound deadening much and driving in the rain you hear a lot thru the floor with the splashes from driving thru puddles.

I was considering the civic too, but swapping the BM m20 motor with a nissan gtr motor and a clean up seems a lot better right now.

it is a bit noisy, indeed, but quiet compared to the new Mitsu Lancer. Due to our very reasonable freight rates, Beeemers are a bit over my budget.

it is a bit noisy, indeed, but quiet compared to the new Mitsu Lancer. Due to our very reasonable freight rates, Beeemers are a bit over my budget.

So you also drove the new lancer ex 2.0? How did it compare to the civic performance wise? They have about the same HP, but the lancer has more torque but is also heavier. I think 0-100 times are similar, but don't know which would be the better drive.

So you also drove the new lancer ex 2.0? How did it compare to the civic performance wise? They have about the same HP, but the lancer has more torque but is also heavier. I think 0-100 times are similar, but don't know which would be the better drive.

I am quite tall. A big plus in the Civic for me is that you can pull out the steering wheel. So with the seat back as far as it goes I can still reach the wheel without stretching my arms. This was not possible in the Lancer.

I also doubt that it was leather they use for seats and steering. Rather some PVC that was imitating the original pretty well....but not real leather.

Both cars have quite a bit noise from the tires, the Lancer, however, has plenty of engine noise coming with it.

Not much wind noise noticed in either cars.

Performance-wise...well...I did not use a stop watch but they both accelerate well enough. The 2.0 l Civic does not rev up as much as the 1.8 l version. I did not like this when speeding out of a U-turn. Both cars handle well in corners and are quite zippy.

The Lancer has this stupid spoiler in the back that spoils mostly the rear view.

oh....and the biggest single plus of the Civic is the dashboard where you can put a netbook with GPS, all your MP3s and much more gizmos....might start a thread about the ultimate must-have for a nerd (Monty will turn red from envy :) ) once fully installed.

Hi i put maxxis tires on my civic 2.litre and that stop the tire sound.

Good to know...the car came with sparking new Deestone (never heard of....) 215/45/R17 tires. Will drive them until the textile shows through (as usual...) and try Maxxis next. Had Maxxis on my Jazz and found them better than Bridgestone (noisy) and Michelin (wearing out in no time and not much grip).

• 9 months later...

2006 Honda Civic 2.0 L. 70,000 km. We just noticed a low rumble in the rear of the car a few days ago, kind of like riding on snow tires (mud grips?). Took it to the Honda dealer today to check out. Diagnosis is a bad left rear wheel bearing. 407 baht to diagnose and 3,800 baht to fix. Can't just replace the bearing in the rear - have to replace the entire housing. We declined fixing it until we could check a few things out.

Searched the internet for "2006 Honda Civic wheel bearing" and found a recall for 2006-7 Civics in the USA related to this problem.

"AUGUST 2007 -- Honda is recalling 182,756 MY 2006-2007 Civic sedan and coupe model vehicles. The wheel speed sensor housing uses an O-ring seal to prevent leakage to or from the wheel bearing. If assembled improperly, the O-ring may not seal properly allowing water to enter the wheel bearing and eventually cause damage to the bearing, especially in areas where use of road salt is prevalent. If the driver continues to drive with this condition, it is possible for the wheel bearing to become loose, which could cause the bearing to fail. This could cause a wheel to fall off of the vehicle, possibly resulting in a crash. Dealers will inspect the rear ABS sensors and wheel bearings for damaged parts and replace them. The recall began on September 25, 2007. 07V399" - lemonauto.com

I just sent an email to Honda headquarters in Bangkok asking if there was a recall in Thailand. Assuming a negative response, I'll probably email Honda headquarters Japan. If Honda picks up the tab for the fix, I'll reply back here.

Otherwise it's been a great car the for more than 4 1/2 years. I'm still of the opinion that Honda engineers some of the best engines, and you can pay more for a car, but you won't get a better one. (But if my wheel falls off, I may change my mind :-)

Does anyone know what the fuel consumption should be on a 1.8 Civic Gasohol 95. Got mine few weeks back seems to be a bit of guzzler compared to the City that I used to have.

I have a Civic 2.0 I bought a few months ago so can't give you figures for the above. But, I've found by some research that the engine takes a few thousand kms before it is broken in. That is the rings and piston seat better and the gas mileage will go up. Certainly happened on mine with about a 10-15% improvement in gas mileage after a while.

//edit - regarding Gasohol, my understanding due to alcohol having a lower energy content that your gas mileage will be less, somewhere around 5%+ then if using standard. I use 91 regular.

Does anyone know what the fuel consumption should be on a 1.8 Civic Gasohol 95. Got mine few weeks back seems to be a bit of guzzler compared to the City that I used to have.

I have a Civic 2.0 I bought a few months ago so can't give you figures for the above. But, I've found by some research that the engine takes a few thousand kms before it is broken in. That is the rings and piston seat better and the gas mileage will go up. Certainly happened on mine with about a 10-15% improvement in gas mileage after a while.

//edit - regarding Gasohol, my understanding due to alcohol having a lower energy content that your gas mileage will be less, somewhere around 5%+ then if using standard. I use 91 regular.

Thanks for that most informative reply, I think that I will continue with 95 as it is about 15% cheaper than 91, so even if I get 5% less mileage it is still a gain. Though I think that on really long journeys I might use 91. Seems like I need to take trip to Chaing Rai to break the engine in. How many Km's did you have to do before you noticed it, 5-10k or less?

Edited by marquess

Thanks for that most informative reply, I think that I will continue with 95 as it is about 15% cheaper than 91, so even if I get 5% less mileage it is still a gain. Though I think that on really long journeys I might use 91. Seems like I need to take trip to Chaing Rai to break the engine in. How many Km's did you have to do before you noticed it, 5-10k or less?

I also have a 2.0 civic, and it was less than 10K that the consumption improved. Don't expect a huge improvement though, but it will be noticeable. Mine averages about 10 km/l, while my neighbours 1.8 gets about 12km/l or so. Does honda recommend gasohol 95? I use gasohol 91 usually. I've also tried gasohol 95 and it doesn't make much difference.

How many Km's did you have to do before you noticed it, 5-10k or less?

I've noticed it around 3-4k but it still seems to be improving. I'm getting about 11km+/liter in mixed driving now (lot of that is sitting idle in traffic) and suspect it will be around 13-14+ on highway driving if my previous car was any indication. When I first got the Civic it was sub-10 and surprised me how poor it was. My previous was a Nissan Bluebird 2.0 Turbo and 8.9 in the same mixed driving but 12 on the highway.

//edit - I agree with the above poster that 95 Gasohol will probably not see much difference so if 91 Gasohol is less expensive would seem to be the better choice.

I've noticed it around 3-4k but it still seems to be improving. I'm getting about 11km+/liter in mixed driving now (lot of that is sitting idle in traffic) and suspect it will be around 13-14+ on highway driving if my previous car was any indication. When I first got the Civic it was sub-10 and surprised me how poor it was. My previous was a Nissan Bluebird 2.0 Turbo and 8.9 in the same mixed driving but 12 on the highway.

//edit - I agree with the above poster that 95 Gasohol will probably not see much difference so if 91 Gasohol is less expensive would seem to be the better choice.

Is there an appreciable decrease in acceleration when using Gasohol 91 compared to 95?

Is there an appreciable decrease in acceleration when using Gasohol 91 compared to 95?

None, as far as I have noticed.

None, as far as I have noticed.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I drive a Toyota Vios 2010, which is another nice small car to consider.

[

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I drive a Toyota Vios 2010, which is another nice small car to consider.

I though that this was supposed to be Honda Civic thread?