Bangkok Dining Deals

jfchandler

Sometimes, it takes a new place some months, or even years, to get their act together. Such appears to be the case with the Adelphi Suites Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 8 just around the corner from the Nana BTS Station, mainly regarding the hotel's on-site cafe and outdoor bar/patio.

Ever since the hotel opened many months ago, the cafe/bar, curiously named the SPRQ Cafe at one point, has gone thru a series of revisions and makeovers, even while appearing largely empty much of the time.

Lately, though, they appear to have gotten it right by appealing to the "Happy Hour" crowd. After all, who doesn't like inexpensive drinks sitting on a shaded outdoor patio watching the Sukhumvit street-nightlife go by. Thus, this last week the cafe/bar was re-born again as the Monsoon Cafe and Restaurant and is continuing its recent pattern of quite good drink specials, some all-day, and others all-evening, and not just for traditional happy hour times.

post-53787-1256632367_thumb.jpg

Although they do tend to vary a bit day-to-day, lately, they have stuck pretty consistently to offering 60 baht San Miguel Light bottles all day and night, some varieties of local beers at 75 baht from 6 to 10 p.m., Coronas at 120 baht, and cocktails at 140 baht. And not surprisingly, most evenings, instead of being almost empty, the outdoor patio is drawing quite a good crowd. Each day, the specials are posted on chalkboards outside.

post-53787-1256632396_thumb.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always spend 1,000 to 2,000 for a weekend buffet at one of the many pricey hotels around BKK. But I'm more interested in places that provide good food and good value at a reasonable price, places you can go and/or bring the family without breaking the bank.

The Londoner Brew Pub at the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Soi 33, a short walk from the Phrom Phong BTS Station, is such a place. Every Sunday, they serve their "Family Sunday Roast" buffet that runs 470 baht plus tax (totals 503 baht) for adults, and 260 baht plus tax for children under 12.

post-53787-1256633067_thumb.jpg

Similar Sunday roast buffets are on offer at Molly Malone's Pub on Soi Convent near the Saladaeng BTS Station, priced at 399 baht plus tax for adults, and at the somewhat more expensive (650 baht nett) Huntsman Pub at the Landmark Hotel, Sukhumvit Soi 6, just down the street from the Nana BTS Station.

Not only does the Londoner fit in-between Molly Malone's and the Huntsman pricewise, it also fits in-between them in terms of the variety and selection of foods offered. The Londoner pretty much covers all the Sunday roast basics, and is particularly extensive in its salad and cold dishes offerings. Altogether, the Londoner has far more food choices than Molly Malone's, and far less than offered at the Huntsman, which you might expect given their relative pricing.

That said, I wasn't especially impressed by the overall buffet experience at the Londoner. On the good side, they offered mashed potatoes, not just the more typically found (around BKK) roasted variety, which was a rare treat. They also served up a decent, nicely rare variety of roast beef. And I noticed the Thai ladies eating the buffet seemed to be particularly fond of the iced shrimps and mussels that were on display, along with the accompanying condiments--a nice touch for a Sunday meal.

However, for my tastes, things weren't quite right. To start, the Londoner also resembles the Huntsman in another respect, being another basement-located place with a kind of dark, underground kind of feel. In another issue of atmospherics, when I originally arrived, they had music on the sound system, and sports on the TVs with no sound. But then at seemingly random times, the music just stopped for extended periods and there was silence, and then later music again. And then finally, someone decided to turn off the music altogether and crank up the volume on the motorcycle racing event that was showing on half of the televisions. It all seemed kind of haphazard.

post-53787-1256633026_thumb.jpg

But what we're really talking about here is the food. Curiously, the mashed potatoes that I like so much tasted unusually bland, as if absolutely no seasonings had been added. And I tried the roast chicken, which tasted fine, but the meat had the kind of pasty consistency of something that had been cooked or sitting for a long time. And while I enjoyed the sliced roast beef, the accompanying horseradish-flavored sauce was pretty much diluted and mild for my taste. Likewise, the cream sauce cauliflower was kind of thin and runny, rather than the thick and cheesey-baked variety that I'd prefer.

Another issue is the general setup of the room. While the Londoner devotes a large and long table to quite a variety of cold and salad dishes (including things as smoked salmon, parma ham, cold roast beef, and even pate), all of the hot/roast meat and vegetable items are squeezed into a small heat tray area in one corner of the buffet area, where only one or two people at most can be helped at a time. On my visit, the quite large dining room only had a half dozen or so tables occupied, so there was no jostling going on. But if they had any larger of a crowd, getting to the hot food section would be pretty inconvenient.

After my main meal was finished, it was time to look toward the deserts and a finishing drink. Although they don't clearly spell it out, the buffet apparently does include a hot drink, so I ordered hot tea. And rather than serving a pot of tea, I was served a single cup of hot water with the tea bag plunked inside. As for the deserts, the Londoner offered a pretty standard variety of cakes and custards, all cut into tiny matchbook-sized squares or placed in little mini glass cups (I think that's what's called "portion-controlled" servings). On the good side, they have a paper sign on a table there indicating you can ask your waiter/waitress for ice cream, and I did, and was rewarded with a quite tasty scoop of rum raisin ice cream, one of about a half dozen flavors supposedly on offer.

If I was keen on salads and cold sliced meats and a bit of fresh seafood, I suspect the Londoner is the place I'd go for my Sunday buffet. But for the sheer quantity, variety and quality of the food offered, the Huntsman has the edge, if you're content to pay their 650 baht nett price. For my tastes, I still prefer the leaner, more economical 399 baht plus tax offering of Molly Malone's, where the atmosphere is quite pleasant and the Sunday roast foods they do offer are pretty consistently good (except for their invariably overcooked roast beef... annoyed.gif )

PS - As to their various smoking policies...

--The Londoner appears to have a flat no-smoking inside policy, and signs posted as such.

--Molly Malone's doesn't allow smoking on the ground floor/buffet area, but does upstairs.

--The Huntsman divides its room, right half for smokers, left half for non-smokers.

Awhile back, one of the readers here recommended the set lunch special at the Trio 24 Italian restaurant, located on a side soi alongside The Emporium shopping center on Sukhumvit Soi 24. So I stopped by today to check out their two-course, 250 baht plus tax deal, offered 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

post-53787-1256634297_thumb.jpg

Basically, it's your choice of one among about a half dozen appetizers, ranging from bruschetta to slices of smoked salmon, and then your choice of an entree. On the lunch specials menu, I tallied eight varieties of pasta, either spaghetti or penne noodles, two pizza varieties (one plain and one with ham), and a spicy calamari seafood choice.

post-53787-1256634321_thumb.jpg

Not listed on the menu or even mentioned was the complimentary (and small) chocolate crepe added on for desert. For my tastes, the bruschetta was pretty ordinary, and the pizza, which arrived blisteringly hot out of the oven and clearly freshly cooked, was in the same category. At lunchtime on a weekday, the restaurant was quite quiet... They are closed on Mondays.

Re the Boulanger Bakery at the Novotel, it is a good deal. I tried it and reviewed it here lately, by happenstance in a much-maligned thread ( :) ) on where to find western-style fruitcake in BKK...

The Boulanger's lunch/afternoon bakery buffet is a really nice selection of meal-type pastries, muffins, cakes and such, along with an unlimited (non-alcohol) drinks buffet...

For those interested in the full scoop, here's the two recent posts with all the details on this place. Post One... and Post Two...

Nothing lasts forever, of course. But as best as I could tell, their special appears to be ongoing...

Re Coyote's branch on Sukhumvit near The Emporium, they also have pretty decent daily Happy Hour specials on drinks, both early and late, and a Thursday lady's night deal.

In terms of margaritas, I know a place or two that IMHO serves better regular margaritas. But I surely don't know of any place in Bangkok or Thailand for that matter that serves more different flavors/varieties of margaritas than Coyote.

Here's the info on their Happy Hour and Lady's Night at the Sukhumvit branch. I believe the Soi Convent branch also has a happy hour, but not the same times and terms.

post-53787-1256640197_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1256640210_thumb.jpg

PS - The last time my wife and I were at the Sukhumvit branch for their margaritas happy hour, the waitress apparently misunderstood our order. We each ordered a flavored alcohol margarita, and that meant we each would have a second one for free. But that special (strangely) doesn't apply to their virgin margaritas, only their alcohol ones. And the waitress wrongly thought my wife had ordered a virgin drink. So when the bill came, they had charged her wrongly for two virgin margaritas. No amount of discussion with the waitress would resolve the problem. So finally I had to demand to speak with the lady manager on duty, who, after our explanation, corrected the bill with an apology to us. I guess there's a lesson to be learned there... only drink alcohol drinks, never virgin ones... :)

Re Coyote's branch on Sukhumvit near The Emporium, they also have pretty decent daily Happy Hour specials on drinks, both early and late, and a Thursday lady's night deal.

In terms of margaritas, I know a place or two that IMHO serves better regular margaritas. But I surely don't know of any place in Bangkok or Thailand for that matter that serves more different flavors/varieties of margaritas than Coyote.

Here's the info on their Happy Hour and Lady's Night at the Sukhumvit branch. I believe the Soi Convent branch also has a happy hour, but not the same times and terms.

post-53787-1256640197_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1256640210_thumb.jpg

PS - The last time my wife and I were at the Sukhumvit branch for their margaritas happy hour, the waitress apparently misunderstood our order. We each ordered a flavored alcohol margarita, and that meant we each would have a second one for free. But that special (strangely) doesn't apply to their virgin margaritas, only their alcohol ones. And the waitress wrongly thought my wife had ordered a virgin drink. So when the bill came, they had charged her wrongly for two virgin margaritas. No amount of discussion with the waitress would resolve the problem. So finally I had to demand to speak with the lady manager on duty, who, after our explanation, corrected the bill with an apology to us. I guess there's a lesson to be learned there... only drink alcohol drinks, never virgin ones... :)

I have experienced that curiosity before: virgin drinks are not included in 2 for 1 happy hour. I never made a deal of it, but indeed it's strange.

The best dining deal around, in my view, is the Marriott Gold Card (available at the JW Marriott hotel Business Center), which gives 50% off for 2 people dining in almost every location/restaurant at any Marriott/Courtyard/Renaissance property in Thailand (and some outside Thailand). So, a wonderful dinner buffet, breakfast, lunch, or even a Trader Vic's brunch ends up being rather affordable. Lunch specials at Momo cafe (Courtyard hotel) are already cheap (165 THB includes softdrink and Tax/Service), but at 165 all inclusive for two people, it's cheaper than a foodcourt!

Of course, there is the cost of acquisition, but that includes some other freebies, special rate vouchers (in case you have guests coming, or you just want a night out somewhere) and even a couple of free dinner for two vouchers.

MPetersen, yep, I've looked at a couple of those hotel-chain based member cards... As you mention, Marriott has one, as does the Landmark just down Sukhumvit Road a bit. Last I recall, the Landmark one was around 6,000 baht per year, and I think the Marriott's was higher.

If a person has a business/company that involves entertaining or has an expense account, or even a large family, those make for very good deals, admittedly, discounts off of food and drinks at the hotel eateries that are already over-priced for the general market. But indeed, there are some very nice places to eat and drink at the Marriott, Landmark and other of the hotel properties around Bangkok. And the hotel stay or discount vouchers and other included items help offset the card purchase cost, if you'll really use the benefits offered.

What's the deal and the details/location for the Courtyard eatery you mentioned above??? That's more in my price range target, so I oughta check it out!!! :)

JFC, I noticed also that Via Vai, the little Italian restaurant on the left hand side of soi 8 (just past Soi 8 pub) has a lunchtime special currently running for 199Bt. I'm guessing this is a set menu offer.

I know this is a place you enjoy often and wondered if you could enlighten me further.

Also, Pizza Company (yes.....I know) :) are currently offering a choice of (6 I think) Spaghetti dishes and a coke for 89Bt. Now I had the Carbonara which was just OK, nothing to write home about, but the TGF had the Spaghetti and spicey bacon, which I was actually pretty impressed with. You're not going to leave here stuffed but for a snack then it's not too bad a deal.

And to to an go even lower level, Sizzler have a Wednesday night special menu. I believe you can also help yourself to the unlimited salad bar to accompany your meal too.

Personally I don't think anything from Sizzler could ever be considered special, but I thought I'd mention it all the same as it may appeal to others.

Edited by thecatman

Sometimes, it takes a new place some months, or even years, to get their act together. Such appears to be the case with the Adelphi Suites Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 8 just around the corner from the Nana BTS Station, mainly regarding the hotel's on-site cafe and outdoor bar/patio.

Ever since the hotel opened many months ago, the cafe/bar, curiously named the SPRQ Cafe at one point, has gone thru a series of revisions and makeovers, even while appearing largely empty much of the time.

Lately, though, they appear to have gotten it right by appealing to the "Happy Hour" crowd. After all, who doesn't like inexpensive drinks sitting on a shaded outdoor patio watching the Sukhumvit street-nightlife go by. Thus, this last week the cafe/bar was re-born again as the Monsoon Cafe and Restaurant and is continuing its recent pattern of quite good drink specials, some all-day, and others all-evening, and not just for traditional happy hour times.

post-53787-1256632367_thumb.jpg

Although they do tend to vary a bit day-to-day, lately, they have stuck pretty consistently to offering 60 baht San Miguel Light bottles all day and night, some varieties of local beers at 75 baht from 6 to 10 p.m., Coronas at 120 baht, and cocktails at 140 baht. And not surprisingly, most evenings, instead of being almost empty, the outdoor patio is drawing quite a good crowd. Each day, the specials are posted on chalkboards outside.

post-53787-1256632396_thumb.jpg

Outstanding as this is my place to stay when in Bangkok, will be there 4-18Nov and now I won't have far to go when I have my nightcap. Based on the pictures I like the changes.

I should have mentioned.... re the Adelphi suites.... their outdoor patio for drinking and dining includes both a very nice water fountain set-up and outdoor misters and fans to help a bit when the weather is warm. They've also replaced all their outdoor furniture with new stuff that looks very nice. All in all....seems to me to be one of the nicer outdoors setups around. And I like their drink specials, and that they apply pretty much all night...not just for a brief happy hour... I walked by last night around 8 p.m., and the outdoor seating was pretty filled.

I'll be interested to see if they can maintain their current approach and success.... or will revert to the oft-practiced greed. :) What is better: charging reasonable prices for drinks and packing the house, or charging excessive prices and having a nearly empty establishment??? I think we all know too often how some local businesses answer that question.

Outstanding as this is my place to stay when in Bangkok, will be there 4-18Nov and now I won't have far to go when I have my nightcap. Based on the pictures I like the changes.

Catman, you're absolutely right.... Via Vai on Sukhumvit Soi 8 (just around the corner from Nana BTS) and their lunchtime buffet is one of my absolute favorite lunchtime stops in Bangkok.... and should be for anyone who enjoys very good Italian food at a great price.

Basically, they offer several lunch specials every day from 11:30 a.m. to 2 or 2:30 p.m. My favorite is their 199 baht deal, which is your choice of a pizza or pasta entree along with their unlimited salad bar, which includes regular salads and much more in the Italian antipasti style, such as quite good quiche, sliced roast beef, grilled eggplant, fresh asparagus and on and on.

And their pizza and pasta choices are quite numerous.... They have a whole separate menu just showing all the entree pizza and pasta choices for their lunch special. It's pretty much almost every pizza they have on their regular menu, so you're pretty assured of finding some choice you like. Or, you can also order just the unlimited salad bar for 150 baht, or their pizza/pasta, salad bar and choice of meat/fish entree for a somewhat higher price....

You really could make a fine meal just off their salad bar... But I always figure, hey, for 50 baht more, why not add the pizza... which is pretty good.... not great... but good. When I order the 199 special, I throw in a bottle of water, tax and tip, and come away for a total right at 300 baht....

I should mention, the interior of the restaurant is quite nice, and they also have a covered outdoor patio area for seating, and their service is efficient and on target. For what you get at Via Vai, if anyone knows of a better Italian food deal in Bangkok, post it right here... Also, this special does appear to be ongoing, as they've had it and kept for many months until now.

PS - And, it just so happens, Via Vai is located almost directly across the street from Adelphi Suites and their new Monsoon Cafe and Restaurant mentioned above. So one could make quite an afternoon and evening of it.... if not careful... And then there's Lolitas around corner. But that review is a bit off topic for this dining thread... :)

JFC, I noticed also that Via Vai, the little Italian restaurant on the left hand side of soi 8 (just past Soi 8 pub) has a lunchtime special currently running for 199Bt. I'm guessing this is a set menu offer.

I know this is a place you enjoy often and wondered if you could enlighten me further.

Re Via Vai....

One TV thread on their lunch specials is here....

And here's a review and some photos of their lunch special menus and offerings....

IMHO....the Via Vai lunch specials far outclass the Trio 24 offering mentioned above, both in terms of price and food/value.

PS - The prior thread mentions Via Vai's separate midweek dinner specials. But those are no longer offered now....

Catman, thanks for posting the info and web site link above for Sizzler. I was surprised to see/learn that Sizzler actually has a very good and comprehensive web site for Thailand, including a clear listing and maps of all their various restaurant locations in the various Thailand cities, as well as information about their member card deal, and dining specials.

And all in English to boot, as well as of course in Thai. (I always have a hard time remembering just where in BKK they have their restaurants, as they're usually hidden away in this or that mall/shopping center...unlike their old/former standalone restaurants in the U.S.)

I know there are some Sizzler fans among us, from past posts re their 10% off annual member card discount program and such... And I didn't know about their 209 baht Wednesday night specials menu, which has a good number of choices (but unfortunately excludes their Pattaya location for some reason). And, if all else fails, there are times when it's good to have a nice selection of fresh salad veggies here in Thailand, since there don't seem to be any Souplantations and such in these parts... :)

By the way, in reference to Pizza Co., I don't know that I'd call the comparison with Sizzler going "lower"... Sizzler usually is just kind of ordinary/run-of-the-mill for my tastes. But I've had, in my early days here when I didn't know any better, some truly awful pizzas as Pizza Co... Don't recall trying their pastas... But for pizzas, Pizza Co. is definitely off my list.

And to to an go even lower level, Sizzler have a Wednesday night special menu. I believe you can also help yourself to the unlimited salad bar to accompany your meal too.

Personally I don't think anything from Sizzler could ever be considered special, but I thought I'd mention it all the same as it may appeal to others.

Edited by jfchandler

Yeah, Sorry JFC, I didn't mean to put Sizzler down quite so much, it's just, when I first went there I had it in my head for some reason that it was going to be so so much better than it was/is. I must admit, I do like their salad bar.

Speaking of Sizzler, they also appear to be running a Friday and Saturday special on imported New York and Rib-Eye steaks, which also include their salad bar -- but only at their Bangkok locations. The imported part appears to reference Australia... Here's the info on that...

post-53787-1256718558_thumb.jpg

And here, from their web site, is a bit of info on Sizzler's status and operations in Thailand...kind of interesting...for a company that started a few miles from where I grew up in Los Angeles.... :)

In Thailand, the Sizzler franchise is handled by SLRT Limited, a subsidiary of The Minor Food Group Plc, one of Thailand’s most successful restaurant operators.

The first location opened on January 9, 1992 on the 2nd floor of the Fifty Fifth Plaza, Sukhumvit 55, Bangkok. Later, Sizzler Thailand expanded into 33 restaurants with 23 in Bangkok and 10 in major provinces. Click here for Sizzler locations.

SLRT Limited follows the successful recipes of Sizzler worldwide. The Sizzler menu features, not only a healthy variety of freshly prepared steaks and seafood but also delicious chicken dishes, combination meals, burgers and the famous unlimited soup, salad, pasta, fruit and dessert bars.

Speaking of Sizzler, they also appear to be running a Friday and Saturday special on imported New York and Rib-Eye steaks, which also include their salad bar -- but only at their Bangkok locations. The imported part appears to reference Australia... Here's the info on that...

post-53787-1256718558_thumb.jpg

And here, from their web site, is a bit of info on Sizzler's status and operations in Thailand...kind of interesting...for a company that started a few miles from where I grew up in Los Angeles.... :)

In Thailand, the Sizzler franchise is handled by SLRT Limited, a subsidiary of The Minor Food Group Plc, one of Thailand’s most successful restaurant operators.

The first location opened on January 9, 1992 on the 2nd floor of the Fifty Fifth Plaza, Sukhumvit 55, Bangkok. Later, Sizzler Thailand expanded into 33 restaurants with 23 in Bangkok and 10 in major provinces. Click here for Sizzler locations.

SLRT Limited follows the successful recipes of Sizzler worldwide. The Sizzler menu features, not only a healthy variety of freshly prepared steaks and seafood but also delicious chicken dishes, combination meals, burgers and the famous unlimited soup, salad, pasta, fruit and dessert bars.

I wonder how small them steaks are (is that 225 and 250 grams I see)? Interesting only Friday and Saturday as well.

It's easy to get drunk in Bangkok.... And it's pretty easy to eat your fill of ice cream... But now it's a bit less easy to do both at the same time, as the Amaltery shop on the seventh floor of CentralWorld seems to have vanished lately, leaving only its sister location at the Hyatt Grand Erawan's basement-level Urban Kitchen still in operation.

Here's what the former Amaltery location in CentralWorld looks like now, as that area's restaurants area continues to undergo shuffling....

post-53787-1256720800_thumb.jpg

Fortunately, after finding it vanished, I stopped by the Grand Erawan the other day to confirm that its Amaltery shop was still in business, and it was, serving pricey but interesting alcohol-infused ice creams and flavored drinks.

Lately, the Amaltery had been offering two interesting kinds of buffets:

--a 599 baht all-you-can-drink buffet offered Thursdays through Sundays, starting at 6:30 pm until they close, usually around 10 pm. The deal applied to the pretty long list of mixed cocktail drinks on their menu, which tend to be on the sweeter side as you might expect. The drinks buffet didn't include beers, however.

--169 baht all-you-can-eat (in one hour) regular ice cream scoops buffet, which was available anytime.

The Amaltery's regular drink prices are in the 195 to 250 baht range. And their regular (5% alcohol-laden) ice creams are priced at 80 baht for a single scoop and 150 baht for a double scoop. So both the 599 baht drinks buffet and the 169 baht ice cream buffet worked out as pretty good deals -- for those with a very sweet tooth.

I think you're right James... reading the tiny print in Thai at the bottom of the Sizzler promotion... For a steak-only meal at those prices at Sizzler, I'm not sure I'd bite... But for a decent 1/4 pound Australian steak and and unlimited salad bar, I might.... if the steak was decent.... It's also curious that they only are doing this at their BKK locations... Do they think folks upcountry don't eat beef steaks???

I wonder how small them steaks are (is that 225 and 250 grams I see)? Interesting only Friday and Saturday as well.

I think you're right James... reading the tiny print in Thai at the bottom of the Sizzler promotion... For a steak-only meal at those prices at Sizzler, I'm not sure I'd bite... But for a decent 1/4 pound Australian steak and and unlimited salad bar, I might.... if the steak was decent.... It's also curious that they only are doing this at their BKK locations... Do they think folks upcountry don't eat beef steaks???

Perhaps they thought only the hi-so bangkokians can afford it.

"Where did you eat last night?"

"After going to the spa and then shopping at that oh so cool boutique, I met up with my real friends for the 250 gram rib eye and all you can eat salad bar. Then we went to Bed Supperclub."

I read on the Stickman website this week that Bully's Bar, located between Soi's 2 and 4 on Sukhumvit have an all you can eat offer of spaghetti, meat balls, garlic bread, and salad for 169Bt at both lunch and dinner times.

This meal, followed by a couple of hours in The Cathouse in Nana Plaza, where you can have yourself as much Chang beer as your body can take (between 7-9pm) for 250Bt could make for an entertaining night out on the cheap!

Thanks for those items Catman....Both good finds, courtesy of Stickman...

I should add, his column indicates the Bully's Spaghetti buffet is only available on Mondays (not other days), for lunch or dinner.

I've always been a bit put off by Bully's pricing policies. Unlike almost every other place in town, as far as I can tell, they have no happy hour for drinks, and very little in the way of drink specials. They do offer always changing dinner specials on their chalkboard outfront, but nothing that I ever see on the surface that looks to be an especially good value.

PS - How do you ever remember to read the Stickman column. He has several other restaurant/dining items.... But I can't see how to get his column sent each time via email, like many of the other blogs. If I can't get things sent by email, I never remember to go looking for them, especially on a once a week schedule. :)

PS - How do you ever remember to read the Stickman column. He has several other restaurant/dining items.... But I can't see how to get his column sent each time via email, like many of the other blogs. If I can't get things sent by email, I never remember to go looking for them, especially on a once a week schedule. :)

I don't actually read too many other sites or blogs so I guess that makes it easier to remember just one.

I have been regularly reading Stickman for some years now so it's become something of a habit I guess.

P.S. Thanks for noting the 'Mondays only' on the Bully deal, I missed that.

Based on JFC’s review I popped into Monsoon on Soi 8 today, not for beer cause I recon the only difference between a 120 Baht Corona and one that is 160, is the taste. But for lunch.

First the ambiance. Nice modern and clean, inside and out on the patio where I ate.

To describe the menu is a bit difficult as they have wide range of international and local fare. But there is distinct Mediterranean feel to the offerings. Lots of choice. Price range for most mains from 200-400 baht.

Feeling a bit hungry and not knowing the size of the mains, I opted first for some Thai veggie spring rolls and a diet coke. For the main, I chose one of the set lunch specials of the day, Chicken Gyros with salad and tomato rice.

The appetizer arrived within 5-8 minutes and was good - not greasy at all. As I was finishing my appetizer the main arrived – good timing. The main was a good size and although I can’t pack it away like John, it, when combined with the spring rolls was bordering on too much for moi.

The main overall was good. Not out of this world fantastic but appropriate for this price point. In particular I found the salad nice – the dressing was a light balsamic vinegarette and when combined with the thinly sliced caramelized sweetish onions, made for a nice break from the chicken, tzadsiki (sp) and rice.

To round off the meal, I ordered an Espresso and must say that it was one of the better I have had in awhile – short and to the point, accompanied with a small glass of water and cookie.

Staff – overall very polite and down to earth.

Pricing:

Diet Coke 50 Baht

Spring Rolls 100 Baht

Main 240 Baht

Espresso 70 Baht

Total 460 Baht. No service charges and taxes. :) I left 40 baht tip.

Conclusion: Will try it again soon (the Mousaka) is calling my name and may even make it passed Soi 8 pub afterwork tomorrow for a cold one.

Good report re the Monsoon, James, and I concur based on my experience (limited) eating there in the past... mostly Mediterranean offerings... nicely prepared, fairly priced.

For me, I'm not blown away by their menu choices in terms of food. But, I really do like the setting, and as you said, I've always found the service there to be pretty good. But for me, what makes them stand out is the combination of their newly improved ambiance and the good prices on drinks, especially their beers...

Apart from the tables there on the patio for eating and/or drinking, they also seem to have installed a kind of drinking counter with bar stools that faces out directly onto Soi 8. So every night when I pass by, there's places there for a half dozen or so people to sit with drinks at the counter and watch the street life go by while downing a cold one(s)... if that appeals to folks.

By the way, James, as a regular, can you confirm.... I seem to regularly see signs out in front of the nearby Soi 8 Pub on Thursdays with the offer for "regular spirits" of buy one, get one free. I didn't check it today, but I have the feeling I've seen that almost every Thursday when I've passed by... Can you confirm that's a regular, ongoing deal there???

Good report re the Monsoon, James, and I concur based on my experience (limited) eating there in the past... mostly Mediterranean offerings... nicely prepared, fairly priced.

For me, I'm not blown away by their menu choices in terms of food. But, I really do like the setting, and as you said, I've always found the service there to be pretty good. But for me, what makes them stand out is the combination of their newly improved ambiance and the good prices on drinks, especially their beers...

Apart from the tables there on the patio for eating and/or drinking, they also seem to have installed a kind of drinking counter with bar stools that faces out directly onto Soi 8. So every night when I pass by, there's places there for a half dozen or so people to sit with drinks at the counter and watch the street life go by while downing a cold one(s)... if that appeals to folks.

By the way, James, as a regular, can you confirm.... I seem to regularly see signs out in front of the nearby Soi 8 Pub on Thursdays with the offer for "regular spirits" of buy one, get one free. I didn't check it today, but I have the feeling I've seen that almost every Thursday when I've passed by... Can you confirm that's a regular, ongoing deal there???

As someone that frequents Soi 8 usually only on Fridays after work (and no I have never eaten the free bbq) and a drinker of bottled beer, I can confirm neither. One would think that someone who walks past there everyday x2 would know by now? :)

My my... picky picky...("I only go on Fridays, and I only drink bottled beer????) :)

Well, I'm sure you've spent far more time going there, and going inside there as a regular Fridays visitor, than I've ever spent noticing the place. As you know, the Soi 8 Pub isn't one of my personally favorite establishments, due to their fondness for permitting indoors cigarette smoking...

But, in the interest of the broader community here, I'll answer my own question... Yes, the Soi 8 Pub does have a buy one, get one free special on "regular spirits," every Thursday, it seems...apart from their regular Happy Hour deals that run until 7 p.m. daily.

post-53787-1256806250_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1256806264.jpg

post-53787-1256806500_thumb.jpg

PS - BTW, being the value conscious consumer that I am, I think I'd rather sip my Corona for 120 baht at Monsoon than the 160 baht version at Soi 8... :D

Edited by jfchandler