Windows 7

Billion

well I am promised it is the bees knees. my geek friend has even switched back from apple and that doesn't happen often. anyway I am having two pcs upgraded from vista one with a full reinstall and one just upgraded. I have kept one

vista notebook just in case. we shall see - btw I just like things to reboot quickly not freeze just be generally friendly.

IT City store.

They have all, home, pro and ultimate.

Great price, not expensive in Thailand.

I bought a legal copy of ultimate, 64 bit version.

It's far better then windows XP and Vista.

Get a copy and enjoy!

What are the prices? Is it English or Thai version?

If you know someone who is a student abroad, well I know that it is available in the UK. They can get Win7 and other software very cheap..that is where my copy is coming from..parents can buy aswell. Pugh and software4students are two companies that I know of. Also it's only Ultimate that you can switch to the Thai language...worth remembering.

In the meantime I'm running Enterprise and my computer runs really smoothly/faster than before...maybe my XP was not set up correctly...but W7 seems to sort everying out for you and the features that I have have found already make things easy to do.

Why!

it's the best OS of all, LOL!

Not as crapy as XP, Vista or Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Get it now. :)

I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro both running Snow Leopard, and an old laptop running Mandriva Linux. I'm very happy with them.

I don't need to use any Windows specific software. So why should I buy Win 7 ? I don't know how Windows works and don't have the money to buy new softwares. (I don't have a single pirated software on my machines). :D

If you have Windows - then yeah, get Windows 7. It's not as craptastic as Vista, and not as old as XP. Best Windows ever, quite possibly.

But if f you have a Mac, never mind. Windows 7 is still Windows. Features-wise it seems to have caught up with OS X 10.4 Tiger. User interface wise, it's still clunky. And it will still grind to a near-standstill after about 18 months of use.

Are there any compatibility issues between WIN7 and Office 97 or Office 2003?

What about games? My son is running Vista (99% games) would his games work with Win7?

When will there be free antivirus / malware software available for Win7?

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

What about games? My son is running Vista (99% games) would his games work with Win7?

opalhort

Work on the basis that if it works on Vista, it will work on Windows 7 - Win7 is build on a lot of Vista Achitecture.

I know some AV have free trials, im not sure if there are any free AV progs for Win7 yet tho

I telephoned The Norton Utilities people, and they said that their product "Norton Internet Security 2010" was compatible with Windows 7. They also said that the 2009 version of this product was NOT compatible. If you have a current valid Norton package that you have registered with them, you can do an upgrade to the 2010 version for free on their website.

Walt

"Microsoft's new antivirus is free if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7" .... as long as you have Genuine Windows! First check it does is for Genuine Windows....

I just stumbled on this today, as I was looking for a replacement for Windows One Care, (being discontinued) I have been using that for several years... & paying for it. I was surprised to find MS actually has a "free antivirus program".

Just in case anyone else is still using Windows One Care, for back up purposes, Windows 7 will not recognize the back up... so I have read & if you are upgrading you are basically screwed! if you format the hard drive before installing Genuine Windows 7 .

Here is the link.... http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Edited by samuijimmy

I can't wait to get Win 7, I bought Vista after Microsoft "discovered" my pirate XP earlier this year :) .

Vista is the worst piece of crap/shi% I ever owned, countless problems since it was installed :D . Must be one of the biggest flops ever from Microsoft :D .

I was quoted 4400 bath for 7 home premium (forgot to ask Eng/Thai version, will ask tomm).

opalhort

I'm running Avast freebie on Windows 7 RC

I can't wait to get Win 7, I bought Vista after Microsoft "discovered" my pirate XP earlier this year :) .

Vista is the worst piece of crap/shi% I ever owned, countless problems since it was installed :D . Must be one of the biggest flops ever from Microsoft :D .

I was quoted 4400 bath for 7 home premium (forgot to ask Eng/Thai version, will ask tomm).

It's interesting. While I agree that Vista was a relative flop for MS, I haven't had a smidgen of a problem with Vista.

Just curious...how much of the software on your computer is illegal? Could it be a you get what you pay for situation?

I bought yesterday win7 Ultimate at IT City in Pattaya. 8,790 Baht incl VAT, which is 2,000 less than the 320$ MS asks on its webpage. Boxed version, no OEM.

They were completely out of stock and I have to wait another week to get the software. :)

When I first installed Windows 7 RC, I downloaded Avast and it seemed to work fine. My Norton Internet Security subscription covers three computers so I installed it. I got a message that it wasn't compatible so I emailed Norton and they upgraded me to Internet Security 2010 and gave me an extra month. It is working great.

I have seen some Thai stores selling Windows 7 Pro in the OEM package. I understand this is supposed to be for new computers only. If I buy an OEM package, what do I lose and will I have problems?

When I first installed Windows 7 RC, I downloaded Avast and it seemed to work fine. My Norton Internet Security subscription covers three computers so I installed it. I got a message that it wasn't compatible so I emailed Norton and they upgraded me to Internet Security 2010 and gave me an extra month. It is working great.

I have seen some Thai stores selling Windows 7 Pro in the OEM package. I understand this is supposed to be for new computers only. If I buy an OEM package, what do I lose and will I have problems?

So, when will W7 b available in Panthip and what will the price be ?

It's interesting. While I agree that Vista was a relative flop for MS, I haven't had a smidgen of a problem with Vista.

Just curious...how much of the software on your computer is illegal? Could it be a you get what you pay for situation?

Nothing is illegal on my PC anymore after the good working XP was "discovered" and they started to "shut" my system down :D .

I was quoted 3990 bath today for a 64 bit Win 7 home premium (legal), IT city South Pattaya road, which I will get installed hopefully before the end of this week together with a upgrade of my PC, so I should have a good working system next week (can hardly wait).

OEM versions of Windows can be purchased through retail outlets. The main difference between OEM and FPP (Full Packaged Product AKA retail) is the licensing. Also with OEM, you can only perform a clean installation, not an upgrade.

You can get Windows in two flavors: retail, which is what you buy at a store, is a less restrictive license (you can transfer it between machines, as long as only one machine is activated at a time), and you are entitled to support from Microsoft. OEM is a cheaper license, that you get when you get Windows bundled with a PC or if you buy a "system builder" copy from places like Newegg. OEM is cheaper because it's locked to a system (you can't transfer your license to another machine), and you are not entitled to tech support (the person who built your computer is responsible).

Generally speaking, there are two types of OEMs: regular and "royalty". Regular OEM is what you get when you buy a "system builder" OEM Windows. Except for the label on the disc, regular OEM discs are the same as retail discs, and they install the exact same bits as a retail disc. The difference is not in the disc, but in the key: if you activate Windows with a OEM key, that key is forever tied to your system, whereas if you use a retail key to activate, you can move that activation to another computer in the future.

The big PC makers like Dell, HP, and Sony are classified as "royalty OEMs" by Microsoft. They will often customize their disc by including logos, extra drivers, and/or hotfixes. Their discs will also include a special certificate that Windows uses to authenticate your computer's BIOS (which lets the royalty OEMs use something called SLP, which sorta allows them to bypass the hassle of activation).

Source