Re Entry With 30 Day Passport Entry ?

A friend is coming to Thailand on 5 November and leaving on 4 December, so he will be here for 30 days with his passport. During his stay he is going to KL for 3 nights and returning. Will he still be considered here on his 30 day passport or does he need a re entry permit ?? And if he does will he only get 15 days because that will not be enough to get him to 4 December, when he actually departs Thailand. Thanks.

If he leaves Thailand without a re-entry permit he will only get 15 days when returning to Thailand at a land border. If he flies back in from KL he will get a new 30 days and doesn't need a re-entry permit.

Another option is to get a tourist visa in KL. They are free.

The travel dates total a 31 day stay (day of entry is counted as day 1), so an eagle eyed airline official may deny your friend boarding as return ticket is outside 30 day ‘visa exempt’ period. Is best therefore to get a tourist visa from local embassy/consulate which will give a 60 day permission to stay. They are free until 4th March 2010.

The travel dates total a 31 day stay (day of entry is counted as day 1), so an eagle eyed airline official may deny your friend boarding as return ticket is outside 30 day 'visa exempt' period. Is best therefore to get a tourist visa from local embassy/consulate which will give a 60 day permission to stay. They are free until 4th March 2010.

Surely its only 30 days - 26 countable days in November, and 4 in December ?

The travel dates total a 31 day stay (day of entry is counted as day 1), so an eagle eyed airline official may deny your friend boarding as return ticket is outside 30 day 'visa exempt' period. Is best therefore to get a tourist visa from local embassy/consulate which will give a 60 day permission to stay. They are free until 4th March 2010.

Apologies - you are correct. Not enough fingers and thumbs!

Apologies - you are correct. Not enough fingers and thumbs!

As you have already stated thaiphoon, the tourist visa is the neatest solution...

Hi,

I have a very similar question so I hope it's ok sticking it on this thread :)

I will be coming to Thailand (Chiang Rai) in January,for three weeks, arriving from the UK by air so I will get the usual 'permitted to stay' 30 days on arrival stamp in BKK.

I want to visit Laos for maybe a day or two, leaving and re-entering by land border. Will I have to wait until the 15 days I will get when I re-enter the Kingdom is enough to cover the rest of my stay or can re-entry permits be obtained on a 30 day permission to stay stamp?

I'm assuming that when I leave Thailand for Laos my original permission to stay expires. I'm going to be applying for a non-imm 'O' from Hull as I hope to be coming back in May for three months so maybe I should get that before the January trip? Advice appreciated

Thanks

Probably better to get a free (until March I think) toursit visa in the UK and then get a single re-entry permit for 1000 baht before you travel to Laos. This is probably the easiest solution for you. You could then also apply for another free tourist visa in March in the UK which would give you 60 days initially, then apply for a 30 day extension costing 1900 baht (I think) which in total would cover your 3 month stay in May.....I'm sure the visa experts in this forum will correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by thaiphoon
No need to quote post directly above - thaiphoon

You could do that, but single entry tourist visas are presently free until 4th March 2010 so unless time period extended likely he will need to pay for a tourist visa for the trip in May.

For convenience I would choose to travel on 12 month multiple entry Non-O visa which gives 90 day permission to stay on each entry. No need to obtain re-entry permit or pay for extensions of stay if on tourist visa. And if travel in/do border run before visa expires will get another 90 days permission to stay stretching visa to 15 months.

Agree with above - if going to stay for three months (often works out to be a bit longer) the multi entry non immigrant O visa sounds like a good option to get now. How long that "O" option will be available is starting to be an issue - several sources have seemed to have gone dry in last few months.

Agree with above - if going to stay for three months (often works out to be a bit longer) the multi entry non immigrant O visa sounds like a good option to get now. How long that "O" option will be available is starting to be an issue - several sources have seemed to have gone dry in last few months.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think the multi entry non imm o sounds like the best option. Seeing as it may not be available for much longer I may opt for getting one as soon as possible and cover both my visits with the one visa. Do you know if Hull are still issuing them or are they one of the sources that have reported to have 'gone dry'?

Also, on the Hull consulate website it says they are available for 'visiting friends or family' and that a letter of invitation is required, anyone have any pointers as to what should be in the letter?

I did email them but, as yet, have had no reply (I think I'll call them tomorrow).

Cheers.

Hull will issue. By all reports a letter from friends is not required.

Just fill the form in , enclose the money and post it.

OK thanks everyone,

I'll go with 'fill the form in, enclose the money and post it'

and if they want a letter I assume they'll ask? Or will they just turn the application down?.

If they do ask for a letter, what should the letter say? 'Please be so kind as to issue (my name) with a non imm 'o' visa so that he can visit me/my family in Thailand?' simple and straight forward, or more detail, as in itinerary/dates, travel plans etc? Getting a letter won't be too much of a problem, it'll just take a bit longer.

Also noted a post here about someone's multi entry visa being stamped 'used' at BKK effectively turning it into a single entry so I'll watch out for that on entry to the Kingdom

Thanks again :)

The Hull website is confusing. With a bit of decyphering the reference to letter of invitation relates to volunteer work. Hull is a liberal consulate so do not believe you will have problems. No reports so far of any 'additional' information requests; just send in usual application form, passport, photo and fee. If you enclose a pre-paid special delvery envelope for the return of your passport with your application it will save you a few quid.

Edited by thaiphoon

The Hull website is confusing. With a bit of decyphering the reference to letter of invitation relates to volunteer work. Hull is a liberal consulate so do not believe you will have problems. No reports so far of any 'additional' information requests; just send in usual application form, passport, photo and fee. If you enclose a pre-paid special delvery envelope for the return of your passport with your application it will save you a few quid.

Thanks Thaiphoon,

I just checked out the application form from the Hull website;

Telephone (day-time): ___________________________________ Telephone (evening): ____________________________________________

Email address: ________________________________________________________________________________

Current profession / job: ________________________________________________________________________________

Date of departure from UK: _______________________________ Date of arrival in Thailand: ________________________________________

Proposed address in Thailand (if known): ________________________________________________________________________________

_____

Proposed duration of stay: _______________________________ Travel details after Thailand: ______________________________________

Evidence substantiating purpose of visit (Non-Immigrant visa only):

I hereby certify that the information given in this form is correct

Signature of applicant: ___________________________________ Date: ________________________________________________________

Are you saying that I can just leave this 'Evidence substantiating' part blank?

Cheers

…Are you saying that I can just leave this 'Evidence substantiating' part blank?...

I haven’t seen any post indicating that Hull rejected an application for a non-O visa without documented evidence of purpose of visit. Just write “visit friends” or, if you want to be absolutely certain, give Hull a call and ask. I guess it’s in the case where the purpose of visit were to visit Thai wife that one would write “marriage certificate” and enclose a copy of it, but to visit friends no evidence would be called for.

--

Maestro

Before I applied for a multiple Non Immigrant O in July to visit my girlfriend, I emailed the consulate in Hull asking the evidence question and they replied saying no evidence was required.

thanks for that,

I did try that but, as yet, they have not replied. I'll assume the answer they gave you still stands.

Cheers

:)

Before I applied for a multiple Non Immigrant O in July to visit my girlfriend, I emailed the consulate in Hull asking the evidence question and they replied saying no evidence was required.

thanks for that,

I did try that but, as yet, they have not replied. I'll assume the answer they gave you still stands.

Cheers

:)

I asked this Q last month and they replied saying no evidence was required..

There was also about 2-3 days emaildelay

Thanks everyone for the replies,

I can imagine someone at Hull inundated with such emails as i haven't had a reply since I sent the email over 10 days ago!

They should post a link to this forum instead!

As always well informed and knowledgeable.

I'll go with 'no evidence required'

Thanks again

I will be arriving in LOS on 28th November. My return flight is on the 28th December. When I booked my flights I was thinking that I was allowed to stay for one month. I realise now that the max is just 30 days. My visit to Pattaya will last 32 days if Day 1 is 28th November. Can I get a free 60 day permission (tourist visa) in UK before I go? If not, is there a local embassy/ consulate in Pattaya?

Cheers

Is a 31 day (3+28) stay I reckon but, as said before, the problem is more likely to be with the airline allowing you to fly rather than with immigration here. So would suggest obtaining tourist visa before travelling, and single entry is currently free (but note some honorary consulates are now charging admin processing fee).

Hi,

I have a very similar question so I hope it's ok sticking it on this thread :)

I will be coming to Thailand (Chiang Rai) in January,for three weeks, arriving from the UK by air so I will get the usual 'permitted to stay' 30 days on arrival stamp in BKK.

I want to visit Laos for maybe a day or two, leaving and re-entering by land border. Will I have to wait until the 15 days I will get when I re-enter the Kingdom is enough to cover the rest of my stay or can re-entry permits be obtained on a 30 day permission to stay stamp?

I'm assuming that when I leave Thailand for Laos my original permission to stay expires. I'm going to be applying for a non-imm 'O' from Hull as I hope to be coming back in May for three months so maybe I should get that before the January trip? Advice appreciated

Thanks

Good choice on Chaing Rai, It is faster to get your Laos visa in Bangkok 1st. Yes you can get it by mail too.

Cost is about $50.00 US I think. Or you can make a run to Burma (much closer) and only $10.00. Walk across visa is good for 15 days only!!!