Can Get From Intl. To Domestic In 30 Min?

Hello,

I have a flight that lands at the airport at 1805 from Phenom Phen and then a domestic flight that leaves the airport to Chiang Mai at 1920, all on AirAsia.

I know they close their check-in 40 minutes before flight so I have 30-35 minutes to get off the Phenom Phen flight and get to the AirAsia check-in desk by 1840.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

All depends on how long the immigration lines are, usually you are out within 30 minutes easy. You can probably be expedited if you tell someone official looking :)

But no guarantees, though personally I'd take the risk. Plenty of flights to CM and if you miss it they'll most likely be willing to bump you to the next one.

Hello,

I have a flight that lands at the airport at 1805 from Phenom Phen and then a domestic flight that leaves the airport to Chiang Mai at 1920, all on AirAsia.

I know they close their check-in 40 minutes before flight so I have 30-35 minutes to get off the Phenom Phen flight and get to the AirAsia check-in desk by 1840.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Based on what I saw last night you won't make it. The lines were long and slow at passport control

Yes, Gary, please don't scare me like that! 40 kilometers!?? I'm thinking "How <deleted> big is this airport?!!"

So is the consensus that if we can get through immigration quickly (no checked luggage) we can make it to Air Asia counter in under 30 minutes?

Sorry about that. In that case with no check in luggage to wait for, it should be doable.

If your partner is Thai, go together through the Thai passports if the queue is shorter.

You might even get away with checking in at the departure desk when boarding.

Haven't tried this with AA though.

Edited by mahtin

But no guarantees, though personally I'd take the risk. Plenty of flights to CM and if you miss it they'll most likely be willing to bump you to the next one.

NO-as said it was AirAsia-and they will NOT do that. Anyway-in airline lingo bumping is used for quite another thing!

My understanding is that if you miss your flight with AirAsia, or are even late for check in, it's tough sh1t bozo go buy another ticket.

Personally I'd say 30 minutes is too short even if everything runds as smooth as silk (to coin another airline's b.s. phrase).

I reckon you have a 90% chance of making it without checked in bags (using butt-in politely techniques if the immigration queues are long) and 40% chance with checked in bags. PP flights are probably bussed into arrivals, but that is just as quick as arriving at the average Swampy airbridge - they always seem to involve a long walk (or run in your case :) )

The Air Asia counter may stay open a little longer than 40 minutes but anytime less than 45 minutes from flight time you run the risk that they will put your bags into late delivery which means you risk having you bags sent on a later flight.

The decision is up to you - we do not know what your alternative costs are. I agree with other posters that you would certainly lose the Air Asia fare if you are late.

If you do risk it then note that the Air Asia check-in is at the other end of the terminal from the international departures exit - about a 5 minute canter from picking up your bags or clearing immigration.

Edited to add: now I see that my career in risk management left its mark!

Edited by SantiSuk

Wouldn't attempt it. Air Asia use the cheapest aircraft gates bus you too the terminal.

10mins from doors opening to getting off the bus.

10min walk from the arrival gate to immigration

5-30min wait at immigration

10-15min wait for bags

5min walk to domestic checkin-

Nah....

I agree with the others here. AirAsia is starting to see more and more flight delays due to the sheer size and growing complexity of their network.

Give yourself more time. Their useless GoInsure flight insurance will not cover you for a connecting flight unless the first one was 3 hours or more late! I just found this out the hard way.... [Grrrr]....

I don't think it is doable unless you hit lucky.

You also have to remember that your flight times are to the plane touching down, not you getting off it !

agree 100 %

not more than a 50-50 chance !!!

I recommend my customers to include at least 2,5 hrs when arriving from an international flight and then checking in to another domestic flight. and don't forget, delays can always occur, no matter which airline u r flying.

I recently missed a longhaul flight on AirAsia-X because a stupid domestic Australian airline was 2 hrs late !!!

I had included 2:45 hrs transit time and even that was not enough !!!

and the biggest "dark horse" is indeed Thai immigration. you may be through in 5 minutes, but last time at 7 p.m. on a weekday I had to queue for 45 minutes !!!

I will have someone in Thailand check me and my 2 friends in for the BKK-CMX via SMS. We wont have to even go to the counter (no checked luggage). We just get our boarding pass from one of those electronic kiosks.

You can check in online up to 48 hours ahead with Air Asia and print you own boarding pass.

You still need to clear Immigration as it's your first point of entry, then hot foot it to the domestic terminal.

I will have someone in Thailand check me and my 2 friends in for the BKK-CMX via SMS. We wont have to even go to the counter (no checked luggage). We just get our boarding pass from one of those electronic kiosks.

You can check in online up to 48 hours ahead with Air Asia and print you own boarding pass.

You still need to clear Immigration as it's your first point of entry, then hot foot it to the domestic terminal.

Ah yes, that's even better idea! Straight to the gate with boarding pass already in hand from printer in Cambodia! Excellent!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, that's even better idea! Straight to the gate with boarding pass already in hand from printer in Cambodia! Excellent!

This worked perfect! When we borded in Phenom Phen, we told the staff about our connecting flight, she handed our info. to the pilot and he actually radioed ahead that they should expect us. However, we landed, no immigration line and got to the gate w/plenty of time. The web check-in is the way to go.