Is There A Nando's In Pattaya?

-noodles-

On 6/27/2023 at 7:41 PM, Jingthing said:

OK I'm trying to be a little diplomatic here.

This business is using the Nandos name and is selling similar products as the world famous Nandos.

But they're not explictly claiming they are associated with that brand.

Thailand isn't Russia or North Korea.

How can they do that?

I mean you can't even get away with calling a business McSushi even though McDonald's doesn't sell sushi.

Get my drift?

If a business never register their product or brand in Thailand, anyone can legally register that name in the same business field no problem

Recently there was an 'Al-Baik' (Saudi Copy of KFC styled fried chicken) that was famous in the middle east that appeared in Bangkok but seem to not be connected to the parent franchise

unless they copy everything down to the trademark logo, then the parent company would have a case, but would they bother suing a company in country they never intend to have local presence? 

Western brands like Taco Bell might seem to only sprung up in the last few years but the franchisee that own the name (Yum Brands) have had the business in Thailand for a lot longer than that 

On 11/3/2009 at 11:44 PM, mjperry said:

Yeah, the Peri Peri places here in Bangkok are a chain similar to Nandos, called simply Peri Peri Chicken I believe. Funny because have just been there for dinner tonight with my Nandos sauce bottle with me of course :) There is one in Siam Paragon and one in Emporium. Sure there must be more around but i've not seen them.

To be fair though you can get fresh grilled chicken from almost any street vendor in Thailand and add the Nandos sauce to it and it works fine, that's what I used to do when I lived down in Phuket before.

Martin

I think you mean Piri Piri been to the one in Paragon a few times, I like it

https://piripiriasia.com/

2 minutes ago, Seppius said:

I think you mean Piri Piri been to the one in Paragon a few times, I like it

https://piripiriasia.com/

The Piri Piri place seem to be modelled very closely from Nando, but looks like they're closing down in many place, most of their mall locations are gone now, only the tiny one in Sukhumvit Soi 17 in Bangkok where the trendy building is left I think

10 minutes ago, digbeth said:

The Piri Piri place seem to be modelled very closely from Nando, but looks like they're closing down in many place, most of their mall locations are gone now, only the tiny one in Sukhumvit Soi 17 in Bangkok where the trendy building is left I think

Yeah that chain is pretty good but I assume not as good as real Nandos. 

I think they are overpriced though which likely hurt their competiveness.

26 minutes ago, digbeth said:

There is/was one in T21 Pattaya

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liddelljohn said:

I have been dragged to some nandos in UK by gushing friends and family and all i can say is Nandos food is crap, bland and tasteless end of and i love spicy Thai, Indian and Good malay food

Is it?

My experience with real peri peri chicken in Portugal certainly wasn't bland.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/4/2009 at 12:15 AM, -noodles- said:

Thanks for the info Martin, i will definitely seek out this Peri Peri Chicken place next time i'm up that way. Yes i like the idea of buying grilled chicken from a street vendor and putting Peri Peri sauce on it with a side of somtam... i like spicy :)

You also seem to like rotten fish.

• Confused 1

On 7/1/2023 at 3:50 PM, bang saen guy said:

Got it.  Thanks. Been to Nando's in London and KL.  Both super. Thanks, NextG for nothing

Nothing to do with me. I confirmed it wasn’t a Nando’s. You can thank Jingthing for reviving a thread from 2009   to tell us all about it. 

On 6/27/2023 at 5:45 PM, Espanol said:

There is a Piri Piri Flaming Grill in Terminal 21 Pattaya.

https://goo.gl/maps/FjWNMDJRdc8pB8rFA

A friend who had lived in Malaysia said the Piri-Piri at Terminal 21 was a big disappointment.  Said it was bland and not authentic.

"Hemmingways" chain of Pubs in Bangkok and Pattaya have Piri-Piri on the menu but when I tried it I thought it very bland as well.

Edited by dddave
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NextG said:

Nothing to do with me. I confirmed it wasn’t a Nando’s. You can thank Jingthing for reviving a thread from 2009   to tell us all about it. 

I was aware of how extreme that was but this topic seemed perfect to "update" about the "Nandos" on Soi LK.

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

A friend who had lived in Malaysia said the Piri-Piri at Terminal 21 was a big disappointment.  Said it was bland and not authentic.

"Hemmingways" chain of Pubs in Bangkok and Pattaya have Piri-Piri on the menu but when I tried it I thought it very bland as well.

I'm not surprised though I do think their chicken has more seasoning than the new place on LK.