Thaksin Appointed As Adviser Of Cambodian Government

webfact

Here are data from some selected years from the Press Freedom Index. There is no data available before 2002.

2002 - 22,75

2004 - 14,00

2005 - 28,00

2007 - 53,50

2009 - 44,00

In comparison Denmark got 0 and North Korea 112,5 in 2009

Thanks for proving my point?

(No idea where you got those numbers from, I prefer the one that ranks listings of nations directly compared to eachother. The major drop happened under Thaksin, and granted has stayed low ever since.)

And even after your edit, your assertion that 5 years of improved before Thaksins oustering is clearly a lie as we see 3 years of decline in a row...

I find it amusing to see how Thaksinites like to point to his prowess in governing the economy as if it took some sort of genius to steer a country upwards whilst it was already being swept up by a global economic boom that started before he took office.

Thaksin's repeated legal threats and general hostility with the free press, is quickly forgotten, as was the extra judicial killings of more people than who died in 9- 11, which whilst reportedly was a war on drugs included the beating and hanging of a 17 year old boy...

I just don't understand why anyone would want to see him back in power. Is this really what people want to see again? Murders and intimidation by a central government who did whatever they liked, with the opposition standing by powerless to do anything to stop them, and the press too scared to speak out against them?

Sure some of his policies were good, but they were not worth the price paid for them.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand Recalls Its Ambassador to Cambodia

Thailand on Thursday recalled its ambassador to Phnom Penh to protest Cambodia's appointment of convicted ex-Thai PM Shinawatra as economic adviser to Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen and his government.

Thai government will demand for reviews of all bilateral agreements Thailand has with Cambodia, according to the statement issued on Thursday.

Thai Ambassador to Phnom Penh Prasart is scheduled to return to Bangkok at 3pm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 5 Nov. 2009

Edited by LawnGnome

Both were removed in ENTIRELY democratic measures. Samak broke a law, and was removed. Somchai's party was dissolved for election fraud, by the Constitution Court. Smaller parties grew tired of the TRT/PPP/PTP nonsense, and joined together to form a legal ruling government.

You lash out and talk about "debating with the big boys", yet your own position (see extract above) is frankly rather naive.In fact if you really believe administrations were removed "in ENTIRELY democratic measures", you really have a great deal more understanding left to achieve.

Democratic as deals with the rule of law which is the 2007 Constitution. Your "third hand/hidden motives/elite conspiracy" garbage sells a lot of fishwrap, but doesn't change the facts of the incidents.

My extract above is entirely factual and accurate - a point that I am sure galls you to no end - lol.

It doesn't gall me at all.I just note the naivety and ignorance, and in your case the lack of willingness to discuss rationally.

Incidentally the first sentence of your post is very strangely expressed.Please clarify if you wish to be understood.

Hun Sen is a real mad dog of SE Asia.

He is the real threat to the region.

Let's see what Abhisit will react.

Thaksin time is over. the more Thailand ignores Thaksin the better is for Thailand. Thailand should only go after him as criminal that he is

I disagree because, if we forget and ignore thaksin and somehow he gets into thailand, trust me, all hel_l will break loose

Edited by 321niti123

Thailand Recalls Its Ambassador to Cambodia

Thailand on Thursday recalled its ambassador to Phnom Penh to protest Cambodia's appointment of convicted ex-Thai PM Shinawatra as economic adviser to Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen and his government.

Thai government will demand for reviews of all bilateral agreements Thailand has with Cambodia, according to the statement issued on Thursday.

Thai Ambassador to Phnom Penh Prasart is scheduled to return to Bangkok at 3pm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 5 Nov. 2009

Here we go.

Will the next step be to expel the Cambodian diplomats?

The Great divider continues along unabated in his desire to cause problems for the country he so claims to love. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index, http://www.rsf.org/Reporters-Without-Borders,4116.html

I'm not trying to prove any point. According to Reporters Without Borders press freedom improved between 2002 - 2004, and since then it is downhill with the exception of 2008.

Again, I did not claim that all indicators improved during Thaksin's reign, but most.

Will add placement to the values, for ref.

2002 - 22,75 - #65

2003 - 19,67 - #82

2004 - 14,00 - #59

2005 - 28,00 - #107 !!

2006 - 33,50 - #122 (Coup was in fall of 2006...)

2007 - 53,50 - #135

2008 - 34,50 - #124

2009 - 44,00 - #130

And you wrote that 'there had been improvements for 5 years in a row' [before Thaksin was ousted] and mentioned 'press freedom'. If this was in error, then please say so.

Atleast it can only go up now, right? *looks around nervously*

Any Thai journalist will tell you that under Thaksin the press was intimidated by withdrawal of advertising, both private, AIS, Shincorp and government agencies during Thaksin's tenure. In addition every TV programme on free TV that criticised Thaksin was removed. Who can forget his stupid lollipop signs ( negative question) to the press corps?

Any Thai journalist will tell you that under Thaksin the press was intimidated by withdrawal of advertising, both private, AIS, Shincorp and government agencies during Thaksin's tenure. In addition every TV programme on free TV that criticised Thaksin was removed. Who can forget his stupid lollipop signs ( negative question) to the press corps?

Today Abhisit and the media are best friends.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pm-Abhisit-L...tv-t309765.html

nationabhisitastv.jpg

Edited by Rumfoord

Yes, he was a real believer in upholding the freedom of press and democracy was Thaksin. :)

Former Thai PM appointed as adviser of Cambodian PM and gov't

PHNOM PENH, Nov. 4 (Xinhua) -- Former Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was officially appointed as adviser of his Cambodian counterpart Hun Sen and the Royal Government of Cambodia y King Norodom Sihamoni, a statement of the Royal Government announced on Wednesday.

The King signed the Royal Decree of the appointment of Thaksin Shinawatra on Oct. 27. The appointment was made in accordance with the country's constitutions and at the request of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Hun Sen said, as he arrived in the beach resort of Hua Hin, Thailand, for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit on Oct. 23, that "Thaksin can stay in Cambodia as a guest of Cambodia. He can also be my adviser on the economy".

The Cambodian leader repeated an earlier invitation to Thaksin to stay in Cambodia and rejected Thai claims that Phnom Penh would have to extradite the tycoon.

"Our concern is for humanitarian reasons, it is friends helping friends. The internal affairs of Thailand would be left for Thai people to resolve, I am not interfering," said Hun Sen.

Thaksin was toppled from power in 2006 and he has been living in self-exile in foreign countries since then to avoid a two-year jail term for corruption.

Also, in the statement, Cambodia said it will not extradite Thaksin at a request from Thailand if he comes and stays in Cambodia. Meanwhile, it said that the Royal Government will continue its policy of having friendly relations with Thailand.

Ties between Cambodia and Thailand have been soured since June 2008 amid a border conflict over land surrounding an 11th century temple. But relations have cooled further since Hun Sen made his first invitation to Thaksin last month.

The Cambodian government said earlier that under treaties between the two nations it could reject a request for Thaksin's extradition because it would be made on the grounds of "political offence."

Thaksin, born in Thailand's northern province Chiang Mai in 1949, became one of the richest people in Thailand by setting up telecommunications companies like Shin Corporation and Advanced Info Service before entering politics.

Thaksin entered politics by joining the Phalang Dharma Party (Power of Justice Party) in 1994, and once served as Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister in two administrations.

-- Source: Agencies

-->> Get the Nation/Thaivisa news faster via SMS:

-->> 14 days free trial, dial *424010011 on your mobile

Humanitarian reasons!!! What a joke. What would a former? Khmer Rouge leader know about humanitarian reasons beyond being able to spell it!!

Thailand needs to make diplomatic retaliation against Cambodia: Abhisit

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Thursday that Thailand needed to make diplomatic retaliation against Cambodia's interference of Thailand's internal affairs.

"The Foreign Ministry has to take action so that Cambodia will learn about the feelings of Thai people," Abhisit said.

"Since Cambodia mentioned our internal affairs, we had to retaliate in line with the diplomatic protocol."

He was speaking to reporters after the Foreign Ministry announce the recalling of its ambassador to Phnom Penh after Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen appointed former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra his economic advisor.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/05

I don’t know too much about Thaksin but all those people going on about him being easier to have bumped off. Come on! You can’t tell me you really know this guy either… and who actually deserves to die for what he’s done. He faces a two year jail sentence in Thailand…wow, they give more than that to someone in possession of cannabis.

He’s obviously a fairly clever chap to have gotten in to the position he was in. He’s already loaded beyond belief but yet still tries hard to influence politics in Thailand. Is this because he is passionate about it or because he is in fact insane? I don’t know, do you? Maybe he feels by being in Cambodia he can at least do something to help Thailand.

I don’t wish to start a brawl here, just offer an alternative from an outsider who admits they don’t know all the facts so couldn’t possibly state that he should be murdered.

Hun Sen is a real mad dog of SE Asia.

He is the real threat to the region.

Let's see what Abhisit will react.

Thaksin time is over. the more Thailand ignores Thaksin the better is for Thailand. Thailand should only go after him as criminal that he is

I'm sure not all Thai's would agree with you in this matter

read thai history guys. nothing changes

taksin is ( was ) not the most corrupt person thailand has known

he is on thai telervision almost everyday. what does that tell you

i am not pro taksin

other asean nations have a view on taksin of course - a view which may surprise some but they are not restricted on what they say

At least we are free to criticize Thaksin on TV, as we were when he was PM, before the military junta trashed the People's Constitution and installed the government. The scary thing is the incredible intimidation and censorship used by the Anti-Thaksin forces and the way they self-perpetuate.

Thaksin makes a tough opponent and that is good, after all their are far more people who sympathize with Thaksin than who oppose him.

Facts isn't your strong side.

The majority of people are clearly not with him, as both the recent elections and polls have shown. Or even demonstrations...

The two gangs out in the streets are minorities and represent minorities, don't forget that.

As far as I can see, NOBODY is strong on facts in all the above posts.

Being only 3 years in Thailand, I would appreciate if somebody could place a really informative post on GOOD and BAD things he did. No emotions, no abuse... Judging by the number of 'reds' and 'yellows' in the streets of BKK, there must be both.

Just the facts, man, just the facts. :)

As to his appointment in Cambodja, it might be to this country's loss. One thing Thai need really badly is good economic policies. Can't see much sense in their actions now.

I'm sure many in Issan will be thrilled that the only populist supporter they ever had in Thai government will now be just over the border from them. Maybe the GTC ("Great Thaksin Comeback) will be via Anlong Veng & Sisaket? :)

I think that in many other countries, what Thaksin is doing would be considered High Treason, punishable by death.

The man must be insane. Otherwise, why would he trade a 2-year slap-on-the-wrist sentence for a possible death sentence?

Doubtless there are forces at work that most farang would not understand. The currents of politics run deep in Asia, and at every level the intricacies are multiplied by interpersonal relations and appearances. Family relations usually also have some kind of impact.

Where many a western government would plow ahead with a unilateral, straightforward political move, Asian countries are much more refined. It is both by choice and by societal burden that this happens.

So, I think either the man is insane, or he is following a choreographed script that has designs far stranger than we can comprehend. Or, the designs are simple, but the manner of achieving them inherently requires complexity.

We will have to wait and see if he relocates to Cambodia. If so, then he is complicit in something. I'm not sure what, nor am I sure that we will ever know. If he does not relocate to Cambodia, it would be a mark for his sanity and a possible indicator that there aren't any nefarious plots involved in this strange incidence (from his end, anyhow).

Doubtless there are forces at work that most farang would not understand. The currents of politics run deep in Asia, and at every level the intricacies are multiplied by interpersonal relations and appearances. Family relations usually also have some kind of impact.

Where many a western government would plow ahead with a unilateral, straightforward political move, Asian countries are much more refined. It is both by choice and by societal burden that this happens.

One of the delights of Thai Visa is that we have access to experts who can enlighten us with their knowledge and sophisticated analysis such as the genius quoted above.He highlights a truth which many foreigners overlook in trying to comprehend Thailand, namely that there are "forces at work that most farang would not understand".It should be obvious to all that Thailand is a special case that alone of all the countries in the world cannot be adequately analysed and interpreted by outsiders.

Does anyone know if the laws of Thailand, the constitution, would allow or permit having a bounty put on the head of a convicted felon and bail jumper?

If allowed, it may be time to put forth such a bounty. Take the money from Tacky's 2 billion on hold.

Maybe something like 5 Million US....

You wouldn't have to bring him all back,,,,,, as the bounty would be on the head.

Sure would make for an interesting life for Mr. Thaksin.....

Probably could make a good case for inciting riots, and/or insurection too.

Thailand needs to make diplomatic retaliation against Cambodia: Abhisit

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Thursday that Thailand needed to make diplomatic retaliation against Cambodia's interference of Thailand's internal affairs.

"The Foreign Ministry has to take action so that Cambodia will learn about the feelings of Thai people," Abhisit said.

"Since Cambodia mentioned our internal affairs, we had to retaliate in line with the diplomatic protocol."

He was speaking to reporters after the Foreign Ministry announce the recalling of its ambassador to Phnom Penh after Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen appointed former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra his economic advisor.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/05

This comes as no surprise. Abhisit is responding sharply and with propriety. As a poster above suggests, we should expect Cambodian diplomats to be expelled from LOS. Then tit for tat between the two countries. Not having diplomatic relations with Cambodia also would give Thailand an excuse, lame but presentable, not to request extradition as Thaksin's return to Thailand is the last thing the government wants.

Asians are human so are not unfathomable. Being on the outside looking in limits the farang regrdless of how much a number of us (not I) can communicate in either English or Thai. It basically appears that Hun Sen hasn't though this through, which is nothing new in these parts. Does he want a long term severing of diplomatic relations with Thailand? All Asean states have diplomatic relations with Burma, so why should any two not have diplomatic relations between them, even if for a month and this break will last for much longer than a month if Thaksin arrives in Cambodia.

The key is getting into Thaksin's head, and who among us can accomplish that feat? But try we must. I'd offer that Thaksin is serious about relocating to Cambodia where he'd be next door to his beloved Isaan and to Thailand in general. I'd expect him sooner or later to slip back and forth across the border and for his co-scheming syncophants to motor to the Dr.'s Cambodian residence biding their time until some major development in Thailand.

Thaksin anyway is going to have his grubby mits into the oil and gas deals whether he's in Cambodia, Dubai or Thailand, along with existing interests in Cambodia. The one thing we know for sure is that to unfreeze Thaksin's assets would be official state suicide.

Edited by Publicus

Would there be enough legal reason to revoke Thaksin's Thai citizenship because of this? I'm sure they've worked it out so it wouldn't be illegal, but still, that just seems like a really slimy thing to do. Then again, it is Tahksin, what can we expect from the little Hitler.

Maybe you can revoke a Visa, how can any country possibly revoke someones Nationality?????????????????????/

Please advise.

Would there be enough legal reason to revoke Thaksin's Thai citizenship because of this? I'm sure they've worked it out so it wouldn't be illegal, but still, that just seems like a really slimy thing to do. Then again, it is Tahksin, what can we expect from the little Hitler.

Maybe you can revoke a Visa, how can any country possibly revoke someones Nationality?????????????????????/

Please advise.

Hmmm, when you apply and granted citizenship in a new country in most cases you must revoke your previous citizenship.

I like that part. And my 'technical correct' assertion is 100% opposite to yours. What does that say about yours?
I doubt any of us have the full details on what really was, and is, happening in the corridors of power around here. My reflection was on the bigger picture, there is no doubt TRT was removed because of pressure from certain groups that lost big money on Thaksin's politics.

That was surely one aspect, but there was much more. The fear that he was aiming for a life-time appointment was a real one too.

The current government is still not elected by peoples vote

The current government is elected by the peoples vote.

Please show us any proof it isn't.

What I meant was, I was wrong on the two elections, there was only one in 2007 after Thaksin got booted.

So you're technically correct on that issue. My bad.

For the rest of the arguments, I rest my case. If one really believes that everything has been done according to "entirely democratic measures", I guess I am not qualified to play with the self appointed "big boys". :)

And if I understood you correct, the justification for the coup was based on suspicion that Thaksin conspired to make himself life-time president, while sitting in a sauna in Finland? Cool!

The Khmer Rouge Killing Fields participant meets the Thai Drug War Massacre director.

Sounds like a lovely match made in heaven. I hope they remember their condoms.

I defy you to present any evidence to support your claim that Hun Sen was ever a participant in the atrocities at the Killing Fields.

You should think very carefully before writing such inflammatory remarks. People have been sued for less. :)

Well being a KR survivor, and a listed KR leader,

makes him a LOT closer to those fields than most people...

I have met Sydney Schanberg,

he has nothing good to say about Hun Sen, nada.

Those two buckos, Thaksin and Hun, definitely ride bareback.

Throwing caution to the wind