What Do You Think The Gay Clubs Of Bkk Would Do To Me...

bangsecks

I know exactly where you are at! I did this occasionally when I was a poor person on vacation in BKK or other parts of SE Asia.

My advice is to take in one of those small curved plastic bottles of local whiskey - cost little and 1 will just fit into one of your back pockets - and top up your mixers in the toilet. But there is one big danger to this - it's so tasty and cheap that you can easily get drunk that way, like I have done in the past - and as a young newby it may lead to some undesirables taking advantage of you - like spiking your drink or inviting you to a free party somewhere where you are spiked and robbed - or just robbed whilst you are fast asleep having taken back a guy - it can and does happen sometimes, even in gay places.

Enjoy, but beware. Trust but verify!

Edited by Tyke

Hey, you should forget Bangkok and come to Chiang Mai :D . Plenty of fun places to go, wall to wall gay boys, and no shortage of Farangs who've made a speciality out of getting drunk very cheaply. :D (That last one is meant in JEST before the indignant start replying :D )

Also, plenty of people in a similar situation to yourself. No prospects back home, life is hard and solitary, no chance of a job, expect for black market construction, no medical insurance, no family to help them if they get into trouble, serious alchohol abuse problems. Yet, they manage to get extremely drunk for 100 Bt per night (Bottle of lao kaao and a couple of sodas), or really shit faced for 250Bt with certain other substances :) (and the advantage you don't need to eat - another saving :D ) Yes, what you are planning is perfectly normal here, except most of the people I know who live like this come from Myanmar, not the USA :D

I know, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit....... (but Wit did have a nice body last time I checked :D )

Trouble is, Chiang Mai is full of gay farang looking to get poor, lighter -skinned boys, cheaply drunk, so the Op had better be careful!

Wear dirty or unfashionable clothes and you will be treated accordingly.

True that. I was wearing $70 hiking pants (cargo pockets, zip off knees) and had a 'friend' give me a talking-to about how unstylish I was. I couldn't determine if Thais were brand conscious or not but my friends were certainly concerned about style.

Just tell him it's all the retro rage in Europe and the USA because of a fictitious new pop group called 'Suave'. The pants fit perfectly with your retro 'Suave' hairstyle, shirt and shoes. Even your mannerisms and way of walking are fundamentally 'Suave'. And that he had better modernise his somewhat un-Suave appearance or the little shit is outta here.

My God, we have our very own backpacker type to unload everything on!

But that said, it sounds like you've got your mind made up. I've done stupider things than sneak booze into a nightclub--and they weren't because of a money shortage. Plan things as best you can. Set a budget and try to stick to it. I think one of the main problems you are encountering is that you are actually telling people about your situation.

Do keep us posted. There are some people that are a little bit helpful and understanding. Also don't ignore the advice of the wiser people who have given advice.

Best of luck. Have a safe and happy time. Post if you can. If I am free, I'll head down that way and buy you a few--I haven't been down there for a couple of years.

Well, I think it must be the magic of Thaivisa, but after whining on here I actually got a call from a restaurant I applied to THREE MONTHS AGO! This is after applying to about thirty places. Finally get a call and I'm working now for the last few days! Will see of course how it works out, I've not been in a position to accept a lowly restaurant job in a while, been making bank in the energy industry the last several years, so now I stooping back down to busboy for minimum wage and my feet are covered in blisters, but that's fine I'm grateful, and I'm going to put in my month and run away.

This changes everything, will get my Silom apartment, will not have to worry about clandestine alcohol smuggling, I'll even be tipping bar tenders, and all will be well. But I will take to heart these tips, might consider getting a bottle at DJ, think I will for sure make habit of downing a few cheap 711 caned beers before going in just to kick start the thing. Stop in DJ, I'll buy YOU a drink. Okay, just some good news there, thanks for the advice.

Well, I think it must be the magic of Thaivisa, but after whining on here I actually got a call from a restaurant I applied to THREE MONTHS AGO! This is after applying to about thirty places. Finally get a call and I'm working now for the last few days! Will see of course how it works out, I've not been in a position to accept a lowly restaurant job in a while, been making bank in the energy industry the last several years, so now I stooping back down to busboy for minimum wage and my feet are covered in blisters, but that's fine I'm grateful, and I'm going to put in my month and run away.

This changes everything, will get my Silom apartment, will not have to worry about clandestine alcohol smuggling, I'll even be tipping bar tenders, and all will be well. But I will take to heart these tips, might consider getting a bottle at DJ, think I will for sure make habit of downing a few cheap 711 caned beers before going in just to kick start the thing. Stop in DJ, I'll buy YOU a drink. Okay, just some good news there, thanks for the advice.

Congrats on getting a job. Bussing tables isn't as bad as washing dishes. Can I ask what state you live in?

I'm in Nevada right now. The downside to this job is that I had to buy special shoes for it, a certain make with a certain tread, none really fit me, so the ones I have have given me huge blisters, which are infected now. Kind of hard to work like that.

Bummer, sounds like you are working for a corporation in a chain restaurant, they make you buy those shoes! Been there done that! Try buying some of those cushion inserts..they might ease the pain... and hang in there you should get used it...your feet will get better after a while, they need time to adjust.

Corporate chain it is, I always hate how these chains have these images and mythologies they propagate; their food is authentic and their values and atmosphere are special and unmatched and this other garbage, when as an employee you know everything comes frozen in boxes, and everything is a standardized and plastic. Management in these places are always sad characters, they get to be gods over college kids, alcoholics and Mexicans and they really play it up. This is where your business/restaurant management/culinary degree got you? Have fun spending every waking hour in this restaurant, loser, I'm out in a month.

But yeah, think I'll be looking into those inserts, being out of work so long then suddenly on my feet all night is tough. The things we do for Thailand.

Glad you found work. Take care of that money--it can go soooooo quickly in Thailand. Be nice and be kind but keep the generosity to a minimum. Your working too hard for the money to spend it others, unnecessarily.

Keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...

No offence intented to anyone but WHY would you buy a ticket to go half way round the world, with no money (or very little!)

Something doesn't quite seem right about all of that, struggle to afford the accomodation, struggle to socialize, ummm what about food? Is the OP intent on an alcohol only diet?

I really don't/can't understand the logic behind all of this. If I go to a foreign country I need to have the ways and means to support myself and indeed most countries visa requirements stipulate this.

I wish you well, have a great time but I'm not one to offer advice on foolhardy missions.

I had enough money to go to Thailand, stay in what is to me acceptable accommodation and eat three meals a day, and still have a little left over for drinking here and there. But, I though why spend so much on booze in the clubs, it being overpriced there, when I am on a tight budget and it is really quite cheap elsewhere. Thus the question, how to have a good time going out, but actually doing the drinking in an economical way.

As for my situation now, I finally found a job and have earned a good piece of money that will allow me to pretty much spend all I want on drinking and other activities, so I'm no longer in that situation. But if I were, I would still gladly stay in Thailand a month without even enough money to buy anything but noodle soup once a day over spending that month in my country, much less one of the coldest months.

You see, I hate my life, I hate where I live, and this trip to Thailand is what I need to give my dark, gray, meaningless existence a little purpose and happiness, just push on through these few months of depression and be rewarded with a month in Thailand. That is what it was about, not having the best trip I can, it's about getting out of where I am. I needed this Thailand trip for literally existential reasons, god help me when that month is over. Until then, one week to go!

In that case I wish you every happiness for your vacation. Sadly we all must return to reality at some point. I have suffered depression for some years now and did the "run away from it thing too" so I understand.

Even in the depths of depression I looked for the light at the end of the tunnel, very hard sometimes. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time and when you get home things are brighter.

Stay safe, stay out of trouble and have fun.

Do as Thais do and buy the bottle.

If you buy a bottle in DJ, you get a card and can go in with up to three other people until you exhaust your bottle.

The other bars in soi 2 are more relaxed, and if you have a bottle at any of them you can get into DJ.

You plop down more money up front, but it is way cheaper (and classier) in the long run.

A much nicer way to spend evenings out than drinking in front of the 7-11.

Good luck.

A bottle of Absolut vodka at DJ is 1400 B upfront and you still have to pay 50B per set-up so there is no big savings here. I buy a bottle because their house Vodka is very cheap and gives a bad hangover. As for the card it is good for 4 entries (only) for 1-2 people.