Thailand High Speed Rail Network

RockerC

Having traveled on the high speed rail networks of Europe, Japan and China I wonder if the Thai authorites will ever get around to building a high speed network (or even a single main trunk line). Imagine getting on in Bangkok and getting off in Chiang Mai 3 hours later after having had a very comfortable and scenic trip. Alas, it will not happen in the lifetimes of most, if not all, of us reading this topic I fear.

As a regular on the overnight train between Bangkok and Uttaradit and the daytime so-called "sprinter" (more aptly named "Rock and Roller") I long for a Japanese Shinkasen type experience. If China can do it with their new high speed trains, why can Thailand not do it???

A Thai friend of mine just returned from Taiwan. His comment as we were driving back from the airport was how backwards Thailand is.

In particular, he was referring to having to take a high-speed train between a couple of cities. In Thailand it would be a welcomed addition since the roads don't seem to be getting safer and the current rail system seems to be gettting slower and more dangerous.

Highway 2 in Issan is just that, a highway that has high speeds on it.While travling this road you have to be perpared to jam on the brakes a every turn.You see they have no problem just taking their cows in large groups across the highway at any location at any time of the day or night.

Now imagen a high speed train going twice the speed of what the cars on highway 2 are doing.

WOW!!! I sure would not want to be any of those cows or anyone on that train as they cross the tracks.

High Speed train links are normally only economically viable between large cities. Other than Bangkok I do not beleive that any Thai cities are large enough to give sufficient traffic.

Viable? Who cares about this? Collecting cheap fares on public buses and on the present national train system is not viable for decades now.

Linking large cities? Local minds will use the high-speed train link like a provincial bus, stopping every kilometre.... :) If average speed of this high-speed train service can be 80 km/h...that's HIGH.

When the sprinter was first introduced, some 20 (?) years ago, it was considered to be the new high-speed train ! :)

IMHO if Thailand ever does build another rail-network, it will be for freight from China to Singapore, with only grudging access (if at all) for passenger-trains. But I still like the existing quaint system ... if I'm not in any hurry. :D

China's modern network was built to a schedule rather than a standard. It looks modern and high tech, but don't expect great reliability/safety long term. I don't imagine a Thai network will be built to either a standard or a schedule!

Edited by tw25rw

If having a good, high-speed rail network like China, Japan, or Taiwan meant an even remote chance of being all efficient and staid like those countries, I'd rather keep ole Muang Thai as it is with its slow, rickety system. Besides, if people could get to CM in three hours from Bangers, it'd ruin the Rose of the North. :)

Highway 2 in Issan is just that, a highway that has high speeds on it.While travling this road you have to be perpared to jam on the brakes a every turn.You see they have no problem just taking their cows in large groups across the highway at any location at any time of the day or night.

Now imagen a high speed train going twice the speed of what the cars on highway 2 are doing.

WOW!!! I sure would not want to be any of those cows or anyone on that train as they cross the tracks.

I can imagine a whole chain of beef restaurants springing up the length of the track.