Do You Teach English In Pattaya?

I'm interested in what your situation is, where you are teaching and how your day to day experiences are treating you? Even a sentence from you or two would do. In fact, I don't care where you are teaching, if you want to post the highlight of your day or month or year, please do.

I am not teaching myself, though i've considered doing so. I live just outside Pattaya (city), I am unemployed by choice and I thought about finding a use for myself. I enjoy teaching, I am educated and I speak perfect American. i'm also incredibly intelligent and embarrassingly handsome. oh wait, wrong forum.

anyway... sup? what you do?

Like you I'm also the modest, quiet, retiring type. SAS. Sausages and savouries. Worked in butcher's straight from school. Yorkies? Do me a flavour! Too introverted an individual to boast about lancing the cat's boil earlier in the day or filleting my friend;s bit of rump, or sorting my collection of Russian-Finnish Soldiers engaged in the Winter War bought from a street trader while enjoying a Starbuck's latte on Pattaya Tai and discussing Proust over a chocolate muffin. Does make you think. Are they baked on site?

I don't think those Discovery Chennel no. 5 shows are what they were or that true existentialism can exist in an egalitarian society, but then what do I know? Left school with no oil levels. Bike blew up round the corner. No one will employ me either. Didn't mean to be crass; just a bit of reading between the lines having been up all night riding between the loins. Safari Park! Pain in the neck I know.

Education eh? Teaching even better. Horses to water and for courses. After all anyone can do it as we all went to school. Bit of an expert there. Old Miss Barnes. Never could sit still. Sent out every lesson and she said something about going deaf but I didn't quite catch it.

So what is it then? Chair at the uni or seat on the beach?

I wanted to say my experience today will be collecting friable wood for the fire.

OK, I will close this topic now. If the OP wishes to PM me or another moderator with more specific information about what he would like to hear from teachers, we can re-open it. If the OP wants to know about the average day of teaching, the salary and lifestyle (meaning comfort level), that's OK. Otherwise, the topic is a little too open-ended for this forum.

//CLOSED//

It seems to me that the OP has no teaching qualifications but would like to teach English as a means of breaking a boring daily routine.

I once had a similar idea when considering whether or not I could live six months of every year in Pattaya. In that regard I purchased some primary school level English teaching books and brought them with me to the LOS.

There was no shortage of 'students' willing to learn English.....mainly bar girls/hotel workers. All were willing to pay for lessons but none could make themselves available to come for lessons at a set time each day.

I started teaching the basics of English to a young shop worker using a table in my hotel foyer. There were so many distractions around us that we were both unable to concentrate.

To cut a long story short I decided that casual teaching wasn't for me.

This story probably isn't what the OP wanted to hear but I hope it is a starting point from where professional English teachers can help the OP with his questions.

It seems to me that the OP has no teaching qualifications but would like to teach English as a means of breaking a boring daily routine.

you are correct. but i'm not curious with "casual" teaching. but, teaching in a school. in a professional atmosphere.

This story probably isn't what the OP wanted to hear but I hope it is a starting point from where professional English teachers can help the OP with his questions.

this is exactly what i wanted to hear. i'll take anything from anyone. my post was probably a little too lighthearted, but i figured, this is the internet and people love to talk about themselves. not sure what all the confusion about my thread was all about. however, i recognize that it takes time to post and not everyone is sitting around waiting to give people answers to questions that aren't black and white.

thank you for your input!

OK - the original poster clarifies that he welcomes serious advice about 'teaching in a school with a professional atmosphere,' although he has no teaching qualifications.

Unqualified teachers seldom teach where there is a professional atmosphere. My serious advice is that he apply his intelligence to become qualified.

OK - the original poster clarifies that he welcomes serious advice about 'teaching in a school with a professional atmosphere,' although he has no teaching qualifications.

Unqualified teachers seldom teach where there is a professional atmosphere. My serious advice is that he apply his intelligence to become qualified.

can i ask why you are so nasty with me? if you want to hear my life story, just ask. i'm not some hippie backpacker trying to bang the dark women the thai men don't want. i'm college educated and i have taught subjects to many people of all ages and background both inside classrooms and business environments. however, i have never taught english in a foreign country.

please allow me clarify 2 things you have pointed out:

a) i never asked for *serious* advice. you are reading my words only how you want to read.

2) my intention is to *become* qualified, which is why i asked the questions i did. anyone who is serious about choosing their future should be more than diligent to ask what others are experiencing.

not sure if you are aware, but i hope you are since you have become a Moderator, internet forums are for asking people are about their experiences and to get an idea who, why and what they are doing. your tone is upsetting. i'm just a regular guy who posted on a forum. i didn't mean to insult you. never did i utter words like "anyone can come to Thailand and teach" or "hey, i could use some spending money for the bar and i want to become a teacher".

can you tell me why are you being so mean to me? why has my thread become such a bone of contention? what the fuc_k is this forum for? what's the deal, my friend?

One post deleted. Let's not start fighting, swearing or flaming others.

There are plenty of qualified teachers who aren't professional and there are plenty of professional teachers who aren't qualified. There are well-known schools that should be professional, but aren't and there are poor schools that are professional.

I won't get into my day or experiences right now. I supervise a number of teachers and there are a few that I truly admire. From a 'top' down point of view, here's what I see.

1. They are willing to interact with the students and take every opportunity as a teaching experience.

2. They offer a lot of encouragement and are very, very sparing with criticism.

3. They tend to get administrative work done on time; not because they are supposed to, but because they see it as a part of teaching.

4. They do worksheets, study guides and use visual aids and experiments--even simple ones.

5. They seem to reallylike what they are doing and they are happy.

I would suggest if you really want to teach you take a TEFL course. This will give you the bit of paper you will need. I would be happy to recommend a good one. I would also suggest you brush up on your grammar and punctuation. You might want to learn a little about when to capitalize things also.

Tim

Edited by Scott
Quote from deleted post edited out/Scott

I would suggest if you really want to teach you take a TEFL course. This will give you the bit of paper you will need. I would be happy to recommend a good one. I would also suggest you brush up on your grammar and punctuation. You might want to learn a little about when to capitalize things also.

Tim

You may wish to learn about sentence structure...........Mr. Tim. :)

This thread has apparently not improved with its second chance. There is very little discussion of teaching in Pattaya. Closed again, and as far as I am concerned, permanently- you may be able to convince another mod to re-open if you have a very compelling reason.

I would also like to remind our members that there is a subforum guideline (cf) against grammar and spelling nitpicking, as well as a general forum rule against discussion of moderation (including discussion of moderators).