Thai Government Seeking International Help In Capturing Thaksin

webfact

Government seeking international community help in capturing Thaksin

Thailand is turning the heat on fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra by asking fellow Asean members and others in the intentional community to assist the government's determination to capture the former premier.

Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said Tuesday besides Asean countries, the Interpol (International Police) and others in the international community have been asked to keep a look out for Thaksin's whereabout and to arrest him immediately and turn him over to the Thai authorities.

Panitan said all the documents along with evidence have been gathered and are ready to be submitted to the Cambodian authorities so they can arrest Thaksin.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cambodia's recent activities with Thaksin really scaring thai gov......i wonder why..

I don't think it's about being scared. He is doing irrepairable damage to the country so something had to give.

They should have done it a long time ago. Get this matter resolved once and for all so the country can move on.

Cambodia's recent activities with Thaksin really scaring thai gov......i wonder why..

Just use instead of Thailand and Cambodia, France and Germany or Czech republic and Hungary. You would get very similar reactions.

Or think Venezuela makes Bin Laden to his adviser.

With most countries considering the FM a terrorist for his involvement in the airport takeover and their lack of respect for the coup, I doubt any will be willing to assist the present Thai government in its witchhunts.

I just don't understand Cambodia's intentions by even having Thaksin there. It almost seems that life is so dull that one needs to pick a fight with someone or something just to make it interesting. Can't Thaksin consider this a work at home job and do it from the comfort of some tropical island? What a home business opportunity, advisor to Cambodia, I wonder if he accepts Paypal? :)

everybody knows where he lives - so "keep a look out for Thaksin's whereabout" is a rhetoric, no more than playing silly politics and mass propaganda. Interpol hasn't got the right and will do anything about it, three years after thaksin was removed from power and was in many places, including the UK, for a long time

Cambodian government officials may be eagerly looking forward to their new invited guest providing staff development sessions on how to scam the country, but taking on board wanted criminals has the added risk of driving away international development funds, so there may be some added calculations on the pluses and minuses here. Having Interpol making enquiries about your 'honoured guest' isn't exactly edifying, but hey ex-Khmer Rouge leaders have put up with worse.

Edited by walkup

I don't think Interpol can arrest anyone, can they?

And what you think go happen iff they arrest him...? Do they really wish to have an uprising here in Thailand..not forget how many follow him ....

Unless there is special jurisdiction, which is rare, it would take a extradition order from the Cambo courts to make him leave, once legally there.

I wonder if he will start sneaking across the boarder through the jungle like the criminals in that boarder areas.

I don't think it's about being scared. He is doing irrepairable damage to the country so something had to give.

They should have done it a long time ago. Get this matter resolved once and for all so the country can move on.

Thailand will never move on because even if they arrest Thaksin the powers that be in this country will manage to create another mess that damages the Thailand, it doesn't matter which side they are on Democrats, reds, yellows, blues, PAD, it just doesn't matter, the results are always the same. Thailand is a 2nd would country and always will be.

Since he has already basically got a pardon on the cambodian side, Interpol cannot touch him in cambodia.

Since Interpol work as an international law enforcement based out of europe, the police involved would be combodian police, and they would not like to upset their government and royals.

This is basically in a catch 22 situation.

Cambodian officials will most probably hand him over, when they have used all his skills, and be a trade for aid and the temple.

But who knows, this is a funny old world.

But new space flights start in 4 years, go round the earths atmosphere, then down, bet these will cost a fortune, they are currently building space ports for these space aircrafts to land and takeoff. In Uk it will be based in scotland. Virgin Galaxic Limited are already taking bookings. Soon we'll be flying to the moon.

Isn't he in Cambodia?

1. Cambodia has 850 (approx) NGO's

2. Cambodia has 200 (approx) NGO's on the waiting list.

3. Cambodia is run by US Dollars, inclusive of ATM's.

4. If the world community really wants him more than the French guy that moved to China after Khmer Rouge changed positions, they can get him. Cambodia is sorta like a special case, especially now that they have oil they can't afford to produce.

5. The USA gives tons of US cash to Cambodia for "education." None of that money, I am sure, goes into ATM machine distribution sources.

???????????????

Live long and ask questions!

And what you think go happen iff they arrest him...? Do they really wish to have an uprising here in Thailand..not forget how many follow him ....

That's what I am thinking. Shouldn't this govt. just leave this alone and let the story die? What is going to happen if they bring him hear, handcuff him, and send him to jail? There will be a massive uprising. Civil war. But maybe I'm wrong...

Since he has already basically got a pardon on the cambodian side, Interpol cannot touch him in cambodia.

Since Interpol work as an international law enforcement based out of europe, the police involved would be combodian police, and they would not like to upset their government and royals.

This is basically in a catch 22 situation.

Cambodian officials will most probably hand him over, when they have used all his skills, and be a trade for aid and the temple.

But who knows, this is a funny old world.

But new space flights start in 4 years, go round the earths atmosphere, then down, bet these will cost a fortune, they are currently building space ports for these space aircrafts to land and takeoff. In Uk it will be based in scotland. Virgin Galaxic Limited are already taking bookings. Soon we'll be flying to the moon.

Ummm I suspect that Cambodia has NO ability to forgive or pardon breaches of other countries laws. In fact, I will bet my lunch money on it.

gallery_327_1086_102785.jpg

PM Abhisit: Thailand sending Thaksin extradition request to Cambodia

BANGKOK, Nov 10 (TNA) - Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Tuesday that Thailand will formally submit to Cambodia a letter seeking the extradition of convicted ex-Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra after he entered the neighbouring country.

The Thai premier commented as Mr Thaksin arrived in Phnom Penh Tuesday morning at the invitation of the Cambodian government which appointed the convicted ex-Thai premier as its economic adviser.

Mr Abhisit said that the Office of the Attorney-General has given the letter seeking the extradition of Mr Thaksin under the extradition treaty between the two countries to the Ministry of Foreign affairs and it will be sent to Cambodia once Mr Thaksin's address there is identified.

"We have to find exactly where Mr Thaksin is staying in Cambodia and how many days he will stay there," said Mr Abhisit, "If the Cambodian government does not respond to our request, the foreign ministry will consider appropriate measures."

Regarding the Cabinet's decision to revoke the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on overlapping maritime boundaries signed by Thailand and Cambodia in 2001, the Thai premier reasserted that the revocation has resulted from the appointment of Mr Thaksin as economic adviser for the Cambodian government.

Mr Abhisit however said the cancellation of the MoU will only take effect once the matter is forwarded to the parliament for consideration under Article 190 of the Constitution.

"The government has carefully and thoroughly considered the revocation of the MoU because the issue can be argued," said Mr Abhisit. "I reaffirm that the cancellation applies only on the overlapping maritime boundaries, not the contested areas around the Preah Vihear temple as being circulated in Cambodia to stir confusion."

Mr Abhisit stated that the Thai government has made no move along the Thai-Cambodian border or near Preah Vihear temple.

Regarding Mr Thaksin's interview with the online edition of the British daily The Times of London which is deemed as offending the monarchy, the Thai prime minister said he has instructed the foreign ministry to clarify the facts with local as well as international media and has assigned a legal team to scrutinise the content as to whether it is considered a violation of the lese majeste law. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/11/10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

To get TS Thai government had already done these:

- Asking Dubai and the rest of the world not to accept TS into their countries, Dubai keep quiet, some European countries cooperated to the request. But TS is still at large.

- Threatening Cambodian PM at the recent ASEAN summit.

- Calling back its ambassador, when the above failed.

- Cancellation of MOU concern gulf resources sharing, on TS arrival in Phnom Penh.

- Advance preparation a request for extradition.

Now they realized all that might not be enough, since Phnom Penh is keep doing the opposite they want the rest of ASEAN involved. Why all this trouble? Isn't too much to ask from other Asean nations for one man? Doesn't Thai Government have anything else to taek care of? This thing is obviously becoming ridiculous! :)