Thai Government Seeking International Help In Capturing Thaksin

webfact

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There would have to be a functioning judicial system in place to try Thaksin first. That seems a long way off.

It's there all right - try selling Ya Ba on Sukumvit road and see how the system goes. It's there all right - just some times not "Used efficiently??"

Comparing Abhisit to Gordon Brown and Thaksin to Suu Kyi; my we are getting creative.

Do read on - I compare Thaksin to Bush and connect Abhisit and Obama.

You can't however associate either of my analogies to that of the asinine work of Hun Sen comparing Thaksin to Suu Kyi. That one just doesn't hold tom yam. Suu Kyi the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Obama the same. Hun Sen the Kymer cutthroat, Thaksin the Cambodian betraying his country in a bizzare but unsurprisingly desperte transformation of alliegance.

I anyway couldn't imagine you or I would want to have either Thaksin or Hun Sen as our leader.

Comparing Abhisit to Gordon Brown and Thaksin to Suu Kyi; my we are getting creative.

You can't however associate either of my analogies to that of the asinine work of Hun Sen comparing Thaksin to Suu Kyi. That one just doesn't hold tom yam. Suu Kyi the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Obama the same. Hun Sen the Kymer cutthroat, Thaksin the Cambodian betraying his country in a bizzare but unsurprisingly desperte transformation of alliegance.

I anyway couldn't imagine you or I would want to have either Thaksin or Hun Sen as our leader.

Anyone but Abhisit; for now anyway!

Thaksin's UK visa was cancelled when he was out of the country.It seemed a slightly mysterious decision at the time since the charge he had been found guilty of in the Thai courts was a trivial one (don't bother commenting on this please!).However over time the rationale of the UK has become clear.Thailand is an important country for the UK partly because of the huge tourist flows, but there also other longstanding interests including trade.Basically the UK and Thailand are good friends.

It appeared that Thailand was about to launch extradition proceedings and at a political level this was something the UK wanted to avoid.The problem would have been a court battle in the UK which would have seen Thaksin's expensive and super efficient lawyers demolish the Thai case which for all but the incurably naive was primarily politically motivated.This is something the Foreign Office wanted to avoid and since there is nobody more ruthless and unsentimental than the British in defending their national interests a fast one was sprung on Thaksin when he was outside the UK.It didn't help Thaksin's cause that as a type he didn't impress the Brit ruling class at all (actually for the same reasons he doesn't impress the Bangkok elite that much, namely because he is a pushy and vulgar Jek not to say illiberal outsider.) He could never ring the bells Abhisit can or for that matter another saintly Oxonian, Aung San Suu Kyi.

Anyway the point here is that the same problem with extradition remains.There ain't much of a case especially if it can be demonstrated -which it can-the proceedings are politically motivated.In the case of Thailand and Cambodia, it doesn't help that the FM leading the charge is seen by the international community as someone supporting terrorism.And of course in the instance of Kasit he has a record of racist abuse towards the Cambodians.Sure doesn"t help but for those who have visions of Interpol bringing Thaksin back to Bangkok in chains, dream on guys.

Basically Tony Blair and Milliband bought themselves consultancies with Tesco for the rest of their lifetimes. The countries are friends, but I wouldn't ever dare to say that Thailand is of any strategic importance to the UK. Singapore, HK, and China are top of that list in no particular order economically and politically in SE and Asia.

Tony Blair linked to £1m Tesco Middle East deal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...-East-deal.html

I am no Thaksin lover, but when there is every single Russian dissident sitting in the UK being afforded protection by the laws of the UK, and the one Thai bloke gets his visa cancelled, it is a case of big business and nothing more. Milliband and Brown got the big nudge from Tesco and they delivered. Thailand is the largest overseas market for Tesco (correct me if I am wrong) and they were staring it right in the barrel. Hopefully, Tesco is smart enough not to throw too much of a bone to Brown.

Or did we forget that there is supposed to have been an investigation of nominee shareholdings in restricted businesses which Thaksin himself used to get his AIS sale through. Oh whoops, I forgot that would involve CP and foreign businesses and of course now the Dems are in power, lo and behold there is no investigation any more. The UK caved, not unlike the actions of the current government in Libya. I am no Conservative lover, but the biggest fault of the UK Labour government is that their business relationships aren't buried deep enough and they are so "nu"-money they can't even wait 5 years until they are out of power to make their money.

I guess you can't buy influence and trust in one generation of Public School/Ox/Cam.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Taksin was illegally removed from office in a military coup while he was attending a conference overseas.

I didn't see any coup leaders being charged!

Also his party won 2 elections after the coup, and then they were thrown out in another coup, and replaced by the Democrats. The current government is totally illegal and has no right asking interpol to catch anyone.

Taksin is up to something. I fear the worst for this country if he is arrested!

At this time Thaksin was removed he was illegal in office. The Parliament was not filled like required by the constitution and his caretaker periode was expired. (not to mention that the election was illegal and the Election Commission went into jail for that).

The coup leaders charged for what? A coup is only illegal if not successful (almost all governments worldwide came in power by some coups in the past).

Which were the 2 elections they won after the coup? At one of elections they got the most seats, but got dissolved because of vote buying.

When was the second coup?? I missed this coup. That parties split and make different coalitions happens all the time somewhere. Newin did not really look like someone with a gun pointed at him (he+abhisit looked almost like two gay boyfriends).

So which second coup?????

What is illegal on the government??

A coup is legal if successeful ? LOL!! So you are in favor of removing governments by military force and not using democratic means to remove them according to the laws of the Country if they are not ligit??

With most countries considering the FM a terrorist

Gosh.... someone needs to promptly inform this small representative sample of many others because, evidently, there are bunches out there that didn't get your memo.

kasitclinton.jpg

U.S. Secretary of State

japaneseambassador.jpg

Japanese Ambassador

unhighcommissioner.jpg

U.N. High Commissioner

chineseforeignminister.jpg

Chinese Foreign Minister

usambassador.jpg

U.S. Ambassador

Edited by youngted

It's clear that anyone but Abhisit right now would have to be Thaksin or another Thaksin proxy soon to be succeeded by Thaksin after another bogus election or no election. Want Chalerm instead of Abhisit with the same result and outcome? ? Or any other of the D Grade Thai politicos of the Thai elite class of political clowns?

Abhisit is the best LOS has, that's as obvious as the fact Thaksin is the worst. (Well, Chavalit.)

With most countries considering the FM a terrorist for his involvement in the airport takeover and their lack of respect for the coup, I doubt any will be willing to assist the present Thai government in its witchhunts.

Agree. They had a number of chances to get him before he left Thailand. The fact is they (the Thais) let him go and take almost all of his money and other ill-gotten gains with him, and now they want help from the international community to bring him to justice. What a joke! Big money and favours changed hands to let him go. I hope the international agents don't help, but if they do, they should send Thailand the bill for the expense.

This whole Taksin debarcle is typical of what can be expected of successive Thai authorities.

(come to think of it, many other countries would probably do something similar for monetary and political gains, but that's another stroy)

Sore losers.... They do precisely as Thaksin wants. They undermine their own credibility. If Thskin returns he would either get killed before he leaves the airport or five million voters will run amok in Bangkok. Either way, he is traveling on an diplomatic passport. Maybe there is a chance that they will lock up the Thai foreign minister soon too, After all he is indicted on counts of economic terrorism, a bit more serious than the mocked up charge of "conflict of interest" on which Thaksin has been sentenced.

So far so good for Thaksin, the yellow shirts are soon back on the street they are calling for war, but they are of course irresponsible people, so there is a good chance that there will be a house dissolution. We will see afterwards who is right Thaksin's Peu Thai or the Democratic party. I put my money on Peu Thai.

You are right

The ground is still the same ++

Gosh.... someone needs to promptly inform this small representative sample of many others because, evidently, there are bunches out there that didn't get your memo.

kasitclinton.jpg

U.S. Secretary of State

japaneseambassador.jpg

Japanese Ambassador

unhighcommissioner.jpg

U.N. High Commissioner

Chinese Foreign Minister

usambassador.jpg

U.S. Ambassador

I presume in the last picture, Kasit is kneeling.

Or is the US ambassador 7ft tall. I hope there aren't any more photos of anything after that handshake.

Why?

It's clear that anyone but Abhisit right now would have to be Thaksin or another Thaksin proxy soon to be succeeded by Thaksin after another bogus election or no election. Want Chalerm instead of Abhisit with the same result and outcome? ? Or any other of the D Grade Thai politicos of the Thai elite class of political clowns?

Abhisit is the best LOS has, that's as obvious as the fact Thaksin is the worst. (Well, Chavalit.)

Hey, I agree to a large degree with you on that.. It may be a necessary step though to go through one more government of dinosaurs before things can progress for the better. Either that or a national unity government, which seems very unlikely at the moment but would be an obvious way out in a highly polarized and divided society.

Or, Abhisit may even win legitimate elections with a proper and solid mandate. I can see that happening through a combination of racking up nationalist sentiments, biased media and lack of unity in the PTP/Red camp. It would however be a way forward; at they same time they hopefully mature from their strange obsession with Thaksin.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

kasitclinton.jpg

U.S. Secretary of State

japaneseambassador.jpg

Japanese Ambassador

unhighcommissioner.jpg

U.N. High Commissioner

Chinese Foreign Minister

usambassador.jpg

U.S. Ambassador

I presume in the last picture, Kasit is kneeling.

Or is the US ambassador 7ft tall. I hope there aren't any more photos of anything after that handshake.

He even looks to be in pain!

Thaksin's UK visa was cancelled when he was out of the country.It seemed a slightly mysterious decision at the time since the charge he had been found guilty of in the Thai courts was a trivial one.

The British government made no statement as to why it cancelled the visa, but I think one can assume that it wasn't done over the land deal alone.

May it be that Thailand owes Thaksin a lot of money?

Just asking.

Was due justice done?

Back then in September 2006 was there an alternative?

He had to go.

A coup back then seemed justified.

Still, in retrospect it looks like a major mistake.

Thaksin's just asking for what is his, isn't it. And if it means to embarrass the Thai govt, so be it. He runs circles around them.

it seems to me that the expats that like T man have women from issan i am not one of those and my wife does not talk polotics with me so all i go by is what i have seen. What i remember most about mr t is his love for the courts, i dont remeber a week that went by when he was not taking legal actions against someone for saying anything about him. Where it is true that he was elected it is also true that he violated the asset discloser law before he ran and should not have been able to run in the first place. dont get me wrong i think the guy did some things that benefited my wife as well in terms of being able to have IRA type investments to off set taxes but i also believe that for a man who never missed an oportunity to say "you dont love thailand" that he was not veryy loving when he avoided paying taxes on his satalite deal. I see the guy as ago maniac, who is a theif, a lier and a sore loser but then again theat is just my opinion and i would love to see the guy behind bars, just like bernie.

If this Thaksin fiasco serves no other purpose, it will be worth it if Abhisit is forced to call an election. Abhisit cannot be blamed as he is just a naive pawn. He will likely go on to greener pastures in his career, perhaps flogging ladies cosmetics on the first floor of Central Chidlom.

Thailand was never colonized by Europeans right? Are other nations (in Asia or wherever) that WERE colonized and introduced to democratic government having so many problems? Coup after coup etc etc.

Just wondering .. maybe the answer to all of Thailand's problems would be .. to be invaded. Teach 'em the ropes for 100 years and then hand over the reigns.

EDIT .. Just a "Brain Fart" .. not to be taken seriously :)

Edited by tmark

I don't think Interpol can arrest anyone, can they?

Exactly my thoughts. They are simply a liaison agency which relies on local police forces.

Unless the subject is an international criminal! e.g.if the subject is a known drug

smuggler in several countries, yes, then a person can be arrested and handed over to the country that wants him to face charges. ! Thaksin is not an international criminal!

If he is asked to leave a particular country, it is because he is found to involve in politics which can expose the interest of the host country!A county only gives sanctuary if you lie low and do not involve yourself in politics which can embarass the host country!

Hey, I agree to a large degree with you on that.. It may be a necessary step though to go through one more government of dinosaurs before things can progress for the better. Either that or a national unity government, which seems very unlikely at the moment but would be an obvious way out in a highly polarized and divided society.

There may be quite a few dinos in that there govrmnt, but I would not put Khun Abhisit in with them. Totally different - Oxonian along with it no less!

The problem would have been a court battle in the UK which would have seen Thaksin's expensive and super efficient lawyers demolish the Thai case which for all but the incurably naive was primarily politically motivated.

I've read you state this about the case against Thaksin many times Jayboy - it being politically motivated. In a way you are correct. Were Thaksin not the person he is, or were for example he still in power, there is no way he would have been found guilty (probably wouldn't have even got to trial for that matter). But that doesn't mean he's not guilty. It means if you have some power and influence it's possible to escape justice - just as he did in the assets concealment case. But Thaksin lost this privilege. That's a good thing i'd say. All we need to do now is work on all the other politicians who get away with "murder". Let's not go the other way and suggest that because others get away it, Thaksin should also.

Thailand was never colonized by Europeans right? Are other nations (in Asia or wherever) that WERE colonized and introduced to democratic government having so many problems? Coup after coup etc etc.

Just wondering .. maybe the answer to all of Thailand's problems would be .. to be invaded. Teach 'em the ropes for 100 years and then hand over the reigns.

EDIT .. Just a "Brain Fart" .. not to be taken seriously :)

Serious thought - but it wouldn't be LOS then would it? I mean if all we wanted, is a copy of home, why bldy come here?

this is such b shirt........ can you image what mayhem would tale place if they got the lying corrupt pig behind bars, the bkk gutters would be flowing with blood, its just the usual meaningless rhetoric from a government that does not know what to do

It knows what to do all right, it just doesn't have the support or backing to carry it out. If it stays in with a few changes for another year or so......who knows?

For the short term Abhisit has to stay. I don't think that Thaksin is, or ever was the worst, but he certainly wasn't the best.

Abhisit has to stay until he has to call an election. That is the price he has to pay for getting the job the way he did.

Where could Thaksin get the money (should he need a loan) to finance an electoral campaign? Asavahame is hiding out there, Hun Sen wants business and more cash. Shouldn't be too difficult to arrange financing for cash to flood into Thailand to get what he needs done.

Abhisit better get his cheque book out soon and start splashing the cash in Isaan.

it seems to me that the expats that like T man have women from issan

Nope.. Well, not in my case anyway. Wife voted democrat all her life and likes Abhisit. I stopped talking politics with her. :) She's not as well informed as I am though. Earlier this evening she asked me what was up with Thaksin, so looking at the time and tell her "He's about to have dinner with Hun Sen's family". She thought I made it up, but then showed her his Twitter message.

I remember Thailand before Thaksin was PM and after Thaksin had been PM.

I also remember the United States before George W. Bush was president (in a clear steal), while GWB was president and after GWB was president.

I'll take both Abhisit and Obama, thank you.

Yeah and for a man back then, with as much money and influence as Taksin had, that equates to "bulletproof" in Thai society, maybe not quite so much today I admit, as things have changed a bit, but "the gas" must have been extremely smelly for a man like that to be ostracized by his fellow HiSo freinds. Think about it a minute. And as for GWB - well al I'll say, is if you shined a torch in one ear, it would shine right on out the other - it was his "advisers" who were dangerous and not good for the US etc. ad nausium.

Agreed. Also while Bush was an empty container, Thaksin is a cauldron boiling over burning and scalding all who go near it.