Beer Chang Faces Stiff Competition Next Year

george

Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch) coming to Thailand.... India or Malaysia brews it locally ... cant remember which...

Thank god.. American beer is almost here..

This Buds for you!!

Yes, there are downsides to everything!

Looking forward to having more variety anyway, though I definitely won't be drinking that American pish...

Well they can always send the stuff from Europe here as that was the original Budweiser and it tastes GOOD. To my taste in America there isn't any good beer...

Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Boundary Bay IPA, Fat Tire, Pike's, Bridgeport, Alaskan, Red Hook.....when was the last time you were in the US? The Pacific Northwest rivals anywhere on the planet for beer these days.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't drink beer . Have a gluten allergy. Come on Magners

In English Wikipedia I read:

“Nearly all beer includes barley malt as the majority of the starch. This is because of its fibrous husk, which is not only important in the sparging stage of brewing (in which water is washed over the mashed barley grains to form the wort), but also as a rich source of amylase, a digestive enzyme which facilitates conversion of starch into sugars. Other malted and unmalted grains (including wheat, rice, oats, and rye, and less frequently, corn and sorghum) may be used. In recent years, a few brewers have produced gluten-free beer made with sorghum with no barley malt for those who cannot consume gluten-containing grains like wheat, barley, and rye.”

which looks like a poor translation from German Wikipedia:

“Praktisch alle gängigen Biere enthalten aufgrund der verwendeten Getreidesorten das sogenannte Klebereiweiß Gluten und sind damit nicht zum Konsum durch Menschen mit einer Glutenunverträglichkeit (Zöliakie) geeignet. Durch die Auswahl von Getreidesorten, die kein Gluten enthalten, ist jedoch die Herstellung von glutenfreiem Bier möglich. Verwendet werden dafür beispielsweise Mais, Reis, Hirse, Buchweizen oder Sorghum. Entsprechende Biere sind von kleinen und zum Teil spezialisierten Brauereien erhältlich.”

In other words: Gluten-free beer can be made with maize (American English: corn), rice, millet, buckwheat or sorghum.

Cheers.

Tiger Beer promotes rheumatism. C'mon support the Sweet Chang... dontcha forget that sweet bottle did accompany you thru al'those times... :D

And not to forget where you are standing/sitting... So to all of y'all, pls Buy Thai... Kob khun mak krap... :)

On the $ side, you put $ into Thai product, goes into Thai company, paid to Thai employees, back into the Thai system, supporting the Kingdom of Thailand. :D

That is if you WANT to support Thailand. I'd rather not because of the protectionism that is rampant in virtually every industry here.

What is wrong with protectionism? The economy of the USA is destroyed due to outsourcing work, product manufacturing, and information technologies. We have nothing left. China now makes the products the US used to and they are loaning the US and other countries money now. They have extra money, while many other countries that used to manufacture the majority of the products they used are broke. If there was more protectionism in the US, this scenario would not have happened.

I will support Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos buy buying their beer. F*^k fasciast China, and the repressive islamic regimes in Indo, Malaysia, and Singapore!

All the beer brands mentioned on this blog are very weak anyway...basically like the commercial non-micros (wimpy p*ss water") in the US. It would be nice to have some beer like the hundreds of commercial micros brewed in the US brewed in LOS. :D

Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch) coming to Thailand.... India or Malaysia brews it locally ... cant remember which...

Thank god.. American beer is almost here..

This Buds for you!!

Yes, there are downsides to everything!

Looking forward to having more variety anyway, though I definitely won't be drinking that American pish...

Well they can always send the stuff from Europe here as that was the original Budweiser and it tastes GOOD. To my taste in America there isn't any good beer...

Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Boundary Bay IPA, Fat Tire, Pike's, Bridgeport, Alaskan, Red Hook.....when was the last time you were in the US? The Pacific Northwest rivals anywhere on the planet for beer these days.

I agree. These dudes must be living a very sheltered life. :D What rock or cardboard box have they been hiding under or living in for the past 10 years? There are hundreds of commercial micro breweries in the US, and in total, they brew thousands of different varieties of beers that are available all over the US.

Fact:These US micro brews rival or exceed any beer in the world in terms of quality, flavor, strength, and alcohol content. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale is around 12%. :) And they are made with all-natural ingredients. Maybe you like formaldehyde in your beer. I don't. :D

Budweiser, Heinekken, Corona, Coors, Miller, Henry Weinhards, Fosters, etc. are all weak p*ss water. :D Grow some balls and start drinking a "real" beer. Throw your "white trash" Budweiser in the trash where it belongs. :D

Bier Ha Noi would be nice. Maybe they don't want us to leave after all. This could be a great marketing strategy to increase tourism. What a great idea! :)

Beer Ha Noi is like coloured water.

Halida is far superior.

Beer Ha Noi, is freshly made beer, it has no formaldehyde in it so needs to be used fast. This is made from small home brewers and some of the big brewers. Therefore dont think you will be seeing them bottling this and importing into Thailand. This only comes in jugs made to be drank that day, so you will still need to go to Vietnam for this.

I do look forward to Beer Lao Dark.. Someone said something about carlsburg, forgot about them. Used to be avaiable in Thailand back 12 or more years ago, have not noticed if it was still available for a long time. Some good Korean beer will be nice too.

Can't drink beer . Have a gluten allergy. Come on Magners

Sorry to hear that mate, NOO I really am but there is always a milkbar close by so do not frett... Magnas are an icecream as we in Australia know them...

Hey Mr Wippie may be driving past with his soft cones also....

When, on the Continent, a beer is served ice-cold, i.e. nearly frozen, you can guess it is to hide its poor quality.

Light beers, such as pilsner beers, are always served cooled, but dark beers, especially abbey style beers, are often “tasted” at room temperature, comparable to red wines.

In Belgian pubs you can choose if you want these beers cooled or “from the shelf”.

Carlsberg? :)

O dear!!! does this travel? The stuff here (Ireland) is awful. Same thing with Guinness outside the emerald (fast sinking) Isle.

Went North to Sainsbury's last week and stocked up with a load of real ales/pilsners/beers. Also a stash of seriously ace ciders. The difference when you sink a proper beer/cider is a whole new world.

Edited by harleyclarkey

Finally, some GOOD NEWS! Make mine a Beer Laos, thanks, currently only available in some bars (not that I mind bars, but would like to see it in Carrefour)!

Of the current local product I find Leo and Archa drinkable, as opposed to their respective companies' flagship brands Singha and Chang which are both supremely awful. Variety is the spice of life! :)

PS- Bring back Mittweida!!!!!

I can get Beer Laos from the local shop (called Chinese supermarket) Rawai Beach Phuket very good Beer I believe it won Asian Beer Of The Year 2007

I used to have Beer Lao delivered to my house until the local beer mafia intervened. I now have to drive to Pattaya in order to buy it by the case. Templedog got the Association of South East Asian Nations correct. carlsberg is brewed in Viet Nam. Anchor beer from Kampuchea is excellent. There is a new bar in Phnom Penh that sells 57 varieties of beer. It is on 136th street. Now there is a country with little or no duty. In fact, I could buy Myanmar Beer there with no problem.

Tiger Beer promotes rheumatism. C'mon support the Sweet Chang... dontcha forget that sweet bottle did accompany you thru al'those times... :D

And not to forget where you are standing/sitting... So to all of y'all, pls Buy Thai... Kob khun mak krap... :)

On the $ side, you put $ into Thai product, goes into Thai company, paid to Thai employees, back into the Thai system, supporting the Kingdom of Thailand. :D

I love Thailand, but not enough to poison myself. I will stick to Heineken for the first of the day, the the new Archa, thanks.

Honestly, all of you know exactly what will happen.

In line with standard Thai rules of business, if they loose share in the market, i.e. their margin comes down drastically and they start loosing money, they will simply increase the price of the local crap beer and hope everything will solve itself. Trust me, it will not take long until you see the farmers up in Isaan drinking Carlsberg or Federbrau, just because the local crap has doubled in price.

We have seen it everywhere, in any business and for generations. Talk abut not having understood the meaning of the "catch 22 situation".

So all of you that likes the crap sold under the names of Chang (Carlsberg steal off and a bad copy of Carlsberg Elephant beer), Singha (taste like it is full of various admixtures and brewed on desalinated water), Leo (try finding a beer with more unfermented sugar, which is a result of bad quality yeast), well the only real reason you like this crap is that it is cheap and strong and has an uneven alcohol content that makes you more drunk sometimes...Honestly, it is back-packer & overstayers choise of beer up to now, but they will increase in price and will sooner or later be the favourite of the Hi-So's that needs to show they have money and can spend it on low quality crap (See J. Walker Black and Chiwas and so on).

This might open up the market for Carlsberg again (brewed in Hong Kong, and even better that the Danish brew) or Stella Artois (Brewed in Malaysia, and honestly the best draught lager on the Thai market at this point in time). Prices of Stouts like Guinnes and Kilkennys should go down, as they are being brewed in Malaysia and are simply better quality here in Asia, compared even with a pint bought in Dublin.

Ok, so Tiger Beer should be cheaper...

What other brands will be coming in?

the chines beer think its spelt jin tao was on the Thai news 6 months ago and 8% made with mineral water and costs 35 baht in a restaurant over there.Best one ive tasted

It's the TSING TAO Brand - from Quingdao In Shangdong Province, a former German Settlement, brewed there since 1903!!

15% Market Share in China.

It's a nice beer with only 3.5 % Alcohol content

The Tsingtao brand is sold in more than 50 countries worldwide and accounts for more than 50% of China’s beer exports.

Tsingtao Beer was introduced to the United States in 1972, and soon became the top-selling Chinese beer in the U.S. market; it has maintained this leadership within the United States ever since, despite increasing competition from other well known Chinese beer brands,

-wiki-

It was available in Bangkok, don't know what happened.

Tsing Tao Brewery Website:

more stuff about the brewery....Wikipedia

"Pilsener Urquell" would be one of my favorites, originally from Pilzen/Czech Rep.!

"Jever" and" Unertl" for Weizen for dark "Koestritzer"... well they are just my favorites as there are so many good beer's out there it would definitely

be unfair to say "this is the best!" but there are some beers out there which should'nt have been brewed in the first place!

Another littel factoid that some seem to have missed in the discussion on Budweiser is that Belgian brewer InBev acquired Anheuser-Busch in 2008. The deal created the world's biggest brewer, bringing brand names including Budweiser, Michelob, Stella Artois, and Bass under one owner.

In today’s globalized business world, there is no nationalism in brands any longer.

TH

Ok, so Tiger Beer should be cheaper...

What other brands will be coming in?

the chines beer think its spelt jin tao was on the Thai news 6 months ago and 8% made with mineral water and costs 35 baht in a restaurant over there.Best one ive tasted

It's the TSING TAO Brand - from Quingdao In Shangdong Province, a former German Settlement, brewed there since 1903!!

15% Market Share in China.

It's a nice beer with only 3.5 % Alcohol content

The Tsingtao brand is sold in more than 50 countries worldwide and accounts for more than 50% of China’s beer exports.

Tsingtao Beer was introduced to the United States in 1972, and soon became the top-selling Chinese beer in the U.S. market; it has maintained this leadership within the United States ever since, despite increasing competition from other well known Chinese beer brands,

-wiki-

It was available in Bangkok, don't know what happened.

Tsing Tao Brewery Website:

more stuff about the brewery....Wikipedia

"Pilsener Urquell" would be one of my favorites, originally from Pilzen/Czech Rep.!

"Jever" and" Unertl" for Weizen for dark "Koestritzer"... well they are just my favorites as there are so many good beer's out there it would definitely

be unfair to say "this is the best!" but there are some beers out there which should'nt have been brewed in the first place!

There is a street in Qingdao right next to the brewery where they deliver it fresh every day to the restaurants. Good beer all in. Thank god for the Germans leaving that knowledge around in China, or it would be maotai for lunch and dinner every day.

Instead of a marketing campain, maybe make the beer better.

Agree completely, forget all this marketing crap, make decent beer, people will buy it.

That's one of the problems with import taxes. The local producers know they are protected, so instead of innovating they turn to maximizing profits as their goal. They turn out inferior products because they know the populace has no real choice. In the long run the people get no benefit, just the producers and those that had their palms greased along the way.

There has to be a catch. Thai beer cannot possibly compete against any beer in the world on a level playing field.Beer Lao ,on its own ,would wipe out the local market. Australia is the only farang country in ASEAN and they have all the good beers we need . CUB (Fosters) Company brands... VB, Melb Bitter,Carlton,Crown Lager ...... No import duties?????? 45 baht small bottle in 7/11 It wont happen.

Now if they could only get better Vodka in Thailand. The Vodka choices suck ass! Maybe some Chopin and Belvedere instead of crappy Smirnoff.....

It's here already! Go to a high end store and you'll find it. I've bought both Grey Goose and Belvedere here numerous times

Wish I could get these beers here in Thailand.
You show San Miguel. I buy San Miguel Light regularly from Carrefour.
Carlsberg will be back here, brewed in Laos and they will probably bring Lao Beer along with them.... :)

Hapiness will return with the smooth taste.

Someone told me that Chang Light was really Carlsberg in disguise because of historic links between Chang and Carlsberg.

Thai beer allegedly contains dubious preservatives (eg formaldehyde) to help keep it in non-refrigerated conditions up country. Can we be assured these new imported beers won't go down the same road?

I have being toying with the idea of setting up a brewery for sometime on koh samui.

An old friend of mine Paul theakston (late theakston brewery masham n. yorks uk now black sheep brewery) Is willing to share his brewing receipes with me.

Maybe i will do it one day, The biggest problem is the water it's just not the same in Thailand.

But nothing wrong with beer chang

Edited by cyb

I have a dream: "Bin Tang" (spelling??) in Thailand.

Bin Tang (Indonesia) = Heineken

thank the Dutch for that one.

Yes and no. Bintang was basically (made and owned) Heineken until 1949 when the Indonesians threw the Dutch out and nationalised the brewery. They allowed Heineken to buy it back in, I think, the 1960s, which was kind of them! In the interim the beer had changed somewhat..water and general Indonesian changing of brewing standards, so that it now tastes rather different..lighter and less body than the original. About 5 years back they began brewing Heineken in Indonesia again, and changed the Bintang label so it was less of simply a red version of Heineken. So both are now sold in Indonesia.

Fosters, VB, Melb Bitter,Carlton

God help us. Australian lagers are amongst the worst in the world, up there with those mainstream US brands..just bubbly brown water. Is NZ an ASEAN member? If so Macs is a fantastic light lager.