How Do You Feel About Thaksin Working For Cambodia?

Jingthing

How do you feel about Thaksin working for Cambodia?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think these people getting all up in arms over the notion of Thaksin working hard, day in and day out at his desk, for Cambodia are getting their panties in a twist over nothing. So far, and I believe, in the end, his only goal is to cleverly keep Abhisit looking all whirly and girly locked in a cat and mouse game that Abhisit doesn't stand a chance of getting out of.

Simple observations will allow you to understand that the angst that surrounds everything Thaksin-referenced is fabricated for us. Repeated time and again, brought to our easily manipulated attention redundantly. Social engineering is not terribly difficult if you have the usual collection of receipients.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my Thai staff told me that most Thais don't care one way or another, but his enemies are trying to say it makes him a traitor. :)

True. Its only a few tired and boring falangs who are still obsessing over him. Them and the media. Everyone else couldn't give a toss. Get a life and move on. :D

It would seem the highly regarded political analyst Chris Baker agrees with the results of the most often chosen thaivisa poll result:

But analysts said that by siding with Cambodia he could lose public support.

"To identify yourself with Hun Sen is a terrible political mistake," said Bangkok-based political analyst Chris Baker, who has written a biography of Thaksin.

"I think Thaksin has considerably weakened his own position. He's in a desperate state to try to negotiate over his money and he's overplayed his hand very badly indeed."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1018412/1/.html

With all due respect towards Mr. Baker, one has to take any such analyst with a grain of salt. If you're any what familiar with his work and extensive material regarding Thailand, you'll find that his bias and agendic positions are quite obvious.

If you're any what familiar with his work and extensive material regarding Thailand, you'll find that his bias and agendic positions are quite obvious.

Agendic isn't a word. Perhaps it is in Sisaket. :)

Any political commentator has a point of view. It is not the same function as straight news reporting which is supposed to strive for objectivity.

Edited by Jingthing

The best way to deal with him is to ignore him completely. Unfortunately this won't happen

The government could ignore him, but the media wouldn't. It's a big news story and therefore natural for them to give it big coverage. That makes it more difficult for the government to pretend he doesn't exist, when everyone is talking about him; and were they to do so, they would be accused of burying their heads in the sand.

All the time Thaksin is swanning around stirring up trouble, the government has no choice but react in some way.

The best way to deal with him is to ignore him completely. Unfortunately this won't happen

The government could ignore him, but the media wouldn't. It's a big news story and therefore natural for them to give it big coverage. That makes it more difficult for the government to pretend he doesn't exist, when everyone is talking about him; and were they to do so, they would be accused of burying their heads in the sand.

All the time Thaksin is swanning around stirring up trouble, the government has no choice but react in some way.

The government could ignore him but they won't. They'll feel obliged to follow the media's coverage. If they (the Government) had the spine they'd blank him completely .

If they (the Government) had the spine they'd blank him completely .

With respect, i think the public reaction would be opposite.

This week Thaksin stood side by side with Hun Sen as he insulted this nation and its people. Thai government ignoring that wouldn't have been seen as being the "bigger man" in all this, it would have been seen as being the feeble, spineless man. I think if you polled Thai people you would find the majority would favour a government that stands up for the country and takes action against those that insult it.

If you're any what familiar with his work and extensive material regarding Thailand, you'll find that his bias and agendic positions are quite obvious.

Agendic isn't a word. Perhaps it is in Sisaket. :)

Any political commentator has a point of view. It is not the same function as straight news reporting which is supposed to strive for objectivity.

Yes, in theory. Not always in practice.

This week Thaksin stood side by side with Hun Sen as he insulted this nation and its people. Thai government ignoring that wouldn't have been seen as being the "bigger man" in all this, it would have been seen as being the feeble, spineless man. I think if you polled Thai people you would find the majority would favour a government that stands up for the country and takes action against those that insult it.

What about those who wish to sell it out?

Thaksin clearly insulted the Thai government, whether that will anger the Thai people or not remains to be seen. The Thai people have no love lost for their present government, though there are isolated regions of support in the South and Bangkok..

This week Thaksin stood side by side with Hun Sen as he insulted this nation and its people.

With respect insults are only effective against those who choose to be insulted.

What is interesting is that Cambodia made it Public they believe Thaksins convictions to be Politically motivated.

Other countries including the UK just got them selves out of the hot seat as they knew they would not be able to Extradite him for this reason.

It would seem the highly regarded political analyst Chris Baker agrees with the results of the most often chosen thaivisa poll result:

But analysts said that by siding with Cambodia he could lose public support.

"To identify yourself with Hun Sen is a terrible political mistake," said Bangkok-based political analyst Chris Baker, who has written a biography of Thaksin.

"I think Thaksin has considerably weakened his own position. He's in a desperate state to try to negotiate over his money and he's overplayed his hand very badly indeed."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1018412/1/.html

With all due respect towards Mr. Baker, one has to take any such analyst with a grain of salt. If you're any what familiar with his work and extensive material regarding Thailand, you'll find that his bias and agendic positions are quite obvious.

I find yours far more obvious.

Only time will tell whether Baker is right.

What is interesting is that Cambodia made it Public they believe Thaksins convictions to be Politically motivated.

Other countries including the UK just got them selves out of the hot seat as they knew they would not be able to Extradite him for this reason.

..and as long as Thailand keeps fighting it out with the likes of Afghanistan for the title of (one of) the worlds most corrupt countrys their image wont improve in diplomatic circles.

Other international arguments could also be that at least Cambodia/Kampuchae has the semblance of a legitimate democratically :D ELECTED Government....unlike..... :) ....mkj

The chances of Thaksin re-becoming a PM in Thailand are rather slim to say the least. His ousting was not undertaken lightly - and was not without consulting he who is above all others in Thailand (I don't think that needs further clarification!).

How Thaksin plays out in Cambodia - a move I think most folk will agree was nothing less than an effort to poke the Abhisit government in the eye - will depend not only on how his relationship with Hun Sen goes, but more so I feel, with how he and Teng BoonMa get on. TBM is the big player behind the scenes in Cambodia, more so than Hun Sen.

If he and TBM fall out (and TBM has a history of falling out of business relationships as long as Bang Kwan's roll call), Thaksin may well find himself submitting job applications to other regional South East Asian governments. I also think Hun Sen will be spreading bets - he's not going to bank all on Thaksin. He knows full well that while Thaksin can be considered an asset for the time being, that status is by no means cast in concreate. Like many of South East Asia's business and political loyalties which can and do change for the most unexpected reasons at times, so to can this "arrangement".

Thaksin is by no means down and out - but I don't see him currently any stronger now vis-a-vis his political status/ambitions with respect to Thailand, than he was in the early days after his departure and removal. While his "you are not welcome long term in the UK" status became public knowledge, the UK was not the only country he enquired about to use as a long term base, and was discretly advised "Non!".

..and as long as Thailand keeps fighting it out with the likes of Afghanistan for the title of (one of) the worlds most corrupt countrys their image wont improve in diplomatic circles.

Other international arguments could also be that at least Cambodia/Kampuchae has the semblance of a legitimate democratically :D ELECTED Government....unlike..... :) ....mkj

AMEN

The Thai people have no love lost for their present government, though there are isolated regions of support in the South and Bangkok..

And how have you come to that conclusion, awd? Clairvoyance? Polls say otherwise.

Issan & most of the North are red voters,

No need to be Nostradamus to know that a national poll would get about 70% for the reds.

Forget the polls truncated by the present government, its a joke.

And yeah thats why a national general democratic election wont happen anytime soon with the current government

- an argument that holds no water. I doubt that there is any country or organisation that holds Cambodia in higher regard than Thailand with respect to the level of corruption/state of democracy.

A quick look at some organisations that survey & rank countries reveals something different to what you suggest.(Lower figure is better)

WorldAudit.org (Democracy) Thailand = 86 Cambodia = 112

WorldAudit.org (Corruption) Thailand = 67 Cambodia = 134

Economist Intelligence Unit Thailand = 90 Cambodia = 105

Freedom House Thailand (political rights) = 5 (civil rights) = 4 status = Partly Free

Cambodia (political rights) = 6 (civil rights) = 5 status = Not Free

Country Indicators For Foreign Policy (CIFP, Carelton University Canada) Thailand (Avg) = 4.75 Cambodia (Avg) = 6.21

Transparency International Corruption Perception Index Thailand = 80 Cambodia = 166

Conclusion - Thaksin should feel quite at home in Cambodia were such things as 'rule of law', 'democratic participation', 'accountability' & 'freedom of the press'(all measured indicators used) fail miserably. Whilst Thailand is not exactly a 'beacon of democracy', it is certainly in front of Cambodia.

Thaksin & Hun Sen will continue to leech off each other like the parasites that they are to further their own selfish ambitions. The only thing in doubt is who will be the first to drop the other like a hot turd. :D

I voted 'insane' because I can see no way that his public relations team can turn climbing into bed with the Cambodians as any way a positive move. :D

The title seems to assume that Taksin's position as economic advisor is genuine. I'm in Phnom Penh now and have been throughout this little "episode". There is lots of local speculation as to what Hun Sen is up to, no-one seems to really know, but of the many theories being bandied about the one thing they all have in common is that absolutely no-one takes his "advisor" post seriously or literally.

For sure, this little manuever hurts Taksin politically and was, for him, a foolish one.

The much more interesting question is what Hun Sen's reasons were/are, and that remains unclear. Not knowing what he was aiming for, one can't begin to assess how effective this was/will be in achieving it.