Thanks For Many Comments About The Red Lion ...

Oneman

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought a publican was a harlot, tax collector, or American politician.

I had draft Guiness in Ireland. The bartender poured, waited for the froth to go down, and filled it full; then served it.

Yes. That is the right way to serve Guinness. They often stack the glasses up om the bar and keep topping up till ready,

Which pubs in CM do that?

The Olde Bell - a couple of hundred metres down from the moat on Loy Kroh road.

Good pint and on Mondays very cheap :)

I think it is 150B on Monday at Olde Bell? Cheap as chips.Every day 4-6pm (Happy Hours) Draught Guinness and Tetley's Smooth Bitter is 160B a pint at The Red Lion.

I'll certainly give Olde Bell a try then. Atmosphere is good there particularly around the bar. Nice pub.

I thought a publican was a harlot, tax collector, or American politician.

I had draft Guiness in Ireland. The bartender poured, waited for the froth to go down, and filled it full; then served it.

Yes. That is the right way to serve Guinness. They often stack the glasses up om the bar and keep topping up till ready,

Which pubs in CM do that?

The Olde Bell - a couple of hundred metres down from the moat on Loy Kroh road.

Good pint and on Mondays very cheap :)

I think it is 150B on Monday at Olde Bell? Cheap as chips.Every day 4-6pm (Happy Hours) Draught Guinness and Tetley's Smooth Bitter is 160B a pint at The Red Lion.

That's not a bad price about the same you'd pay for a pint of Guinness in a London pub , I'm not a big fan of the Yorkshire Bitters, when I'm feeling a bit flush I might come down for a pint of Guinness and recommended to me by UG the Fish & Chips.

Oneman Posted Today, 2009-11-17 07:32:14

It was a pleasure to see proper clothing, recent haircuts, and reasonably decent manners at most tables as well as at the bar.

I didn't see any singlets or dirty t-shirts.

No sullen, slovenly, backpacker-types either.

In other words, none of the riff-raff that fills such bars as Mad Dog's and John's Place.

Many distiguished gents spend large amounts of time at these two fine establishments! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Pity the OP never tried the Fish and Chips though...I still maintain they are the best in town.....but Fish and Chips has bee discuseed on several occassions already. :D

Nah? Really? :):D

Maybe I caught them on an off day then, because that's what I ordered on the one and only time I was at the Red Lion, and it was disappointing. They were OK, but had weird batter on them and didn't taste all that good. Plus, expensive.

Queen Vic is always quiet, that's true, but they have excellent food, much better than the Red Lion.

UN Irish pub has great food, and you can always count on them showing sports - I love that. Saw the Pacquiao fight there last time. I also like the varied-to-the-point-of-unpredictable patronage. Always something different. Then again, I am not a regular by any means.

The Duke's also has excellent food BTW - not sure about atmosphere, I think it's allright, but it's clearly a restaurant, not a pub.

Of course I don't mind backpackers or riff-raff in the least so I don't know about that.

Pity the OP never tried the Fish and Chips though...I still maintain they are the best in town.....but Fish and Chips has bee discuseed on several occassions already. :D

Maybe I caught them on an off day then, because that's what I ordered on the one and only time I was at the Red Lion, and it was disappointing. They were OK, but had weird batter on them and didn't taste all that good. Plus, expensive.

Queen Vic is always quiet, that's true, but they have excellent food, much better than the Red Lion.

UN Irish pub has great food, and you can always count on them showing sports - I love that. Saw the Pacquiao fight there last time. I also like the varied-to-the-point-of-unpredictable patronage. Always something different. Then again, I am not a regular by any means.

The Duke's also has excellent food BTW - not sure about atmosphere, I think it's allright, but it's clearly a restaurant, not a pub.

Of course I don't mind backpackers or riff-raff in the least so I don't know about that.

As far as pubs go It's hard to find a decent one in the Uk to drink in these days let alone Chiang Mai.

Without trying to sound to disdainful the Queen Vic to me has no atmosphere whatsoever, ditto O'Malleys, the biggest cockroach I've ever seen about the size of a small rodent ran across my plate at the Irish pub, [caveat - this was about 8 years ago]

The Pub I quiet like but it's to far a trek out of town for me

The Red Lion a friendly fun landlord but a little to touristy for my tastes

The Old bell I like I enjoy relaxing here with a pint have only tried the breakfast and the cheese platter which were both very good, I've heard mixed to middling reports about the food.

Mad Dog, Draught Tiger beer, very good breakfasts for CM and the Pizza's suit my tastes, we've gone down this path before but I find the staff a bit miserable - again this is my personal opinion :D

Tuskers is my personal favourite, Chas & Rachel do a great job at this place and the staff are always friendly and attentive.

Well that's my ten baht's worth, let me see how many people I've upset :D

As far as pubs go It's hard to find a decent one in the Uk to drink in these days let alone Chiang Mai.

Without trying to sound to disdainful the Queen Vic to me has no atmosphere whatsoever, ditto O'Malleys, the biggest cockroach I've ever seen about the size of a small rodent ran across my plate at the Irish pub, [caveat - this was about 8 years ago]

The Pub I quiet like but it's to far a trek out of town for me

The Red Lion a friendly fun landlord but a little to touristy for my tastes

The Old bell I like I enjoy relaxing here with a pint have only tried the breakfast and the cheese platter which were both very good, I've heard mixed to middling reports about the food.

Mad Dog, Draught Tiger beer, very good breakfasts for CM and the Pizza's suit my tastes, we've gone down this path before but I find the staff a bit miserable - again this is my personal opinion :D

Tuskers is my personal favourite, Chas & Rachel do a great job at this place and the staff are always friendly and attentive.

Well that's my ten baht's worth, let me see how many people I've upset :D

I'd pretty much concur with all that . The Red Lion is a tad touristy for my tastes too, I found the Olde Bell more a pub where you can have a friendly chat and a drink etc

Chas and Rachel score in my opinion because they are the most customer-focused of the pubs I know in Chiangmai..

I checked out TRL and (IMHO)... overall much better than last visit

GUINESS:

had two pints of Guniness - first one was perfect - filled to the top 10/10 for that one... ordered a second that was froth down to the 'golden harp' on the glass (guy more focussed on the football on TV) but, I asked for a little more to the top, and they did it (with a slightly sarcastic - he is a keeniow farang - smile) so 8/10 for that one.

Total: 9/10 (better than I thought so congrats!!!)

FOOD:

Food very tasty and fast 10/10 for that.

ATMOSPHERE:

ok(ish) very touristy but the inside very much like a typical English Pub apart from a staff member in a green shirt who was a little noisy for me... and was not over impressed when all the staff gathered round a lady (seemed she was the boss?) to go through a bag of stuff for sale or something (not very English what, what) but TIT 7/10

DECOR:

Will gloss over the Liverpool football connections everywhere (hehe) inside very typical English bar 10/10 outside typical Thai street 'catch the customer' affair - can't blame them for that so not counting it. 10/10

MUCH better than the other English bar (no names) in a certain famous LOI who would not top-up my Guiness last time I went because the farang owner said they should not - so typically they saved 10 Baht but lost probably several 1000s because I now rarely go there... if they have changed this policy maybe I wil lcheck themout again.

Is it allowed to sit outside on the terrace of TRL with a dog while eating dinner?

NIENKE ! ! !

You of all people don't eat dog ! ! Do You ???

Maybe a Hot Dog I can understand....

I should think that it even would be ok to take a dog inside.... after all look around and see how many of us old falang f@rts are bringing dogs into dining establishments....

Just joking Kevin..... I know and like your place.... just too good an opportunity to pass up.

:)

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Is it allowed to sit outside on the terrace of TRL with a dog while eating dinner?

So long as it is you eating the dinner and not the dog, yes.

Ah great! :) I used to go to the Night Bazar with a dog for its necessary socialization and education and combined that with going to the Upper Crust for dinner. It has always been very enjoyable to see and hear the reactions of the people and have small chats with the Thai shop keepers.

Since Upper Crust moved I hardly have been to the Night Bazar anymore.

Thanks! :D

GUINESS:

had two pints of Guniness - first one was perfect - filled to the top 10/10 for that one... ordered a second that was froth down to the 'golden harp' on the glass (guy more focussed on the football on TV) but, I asked for a little more to the top, and they did it (with a slightly sarcastic - he is a keeniow farang - smile) so 8/10 for that one.

The new barman is a bit shy and has a strange nervous smile so maybe you mis-interpreted it. He is a very easy-going, respectful guy so I would be very surprised if he was sarcastic - my previous barman was eventually sacked for that attitude.

ATMOSPHERE:

ok(ish) very touristy but the inside very much like a typical English Pub apart from a staff member in a green shirt who was a little noisy for me... and was not over impressed when all the staff gathered round a lady (seemed she was the boss?) to go through a bag of stuff for sale or something (not very English what, what) but TIT 7/10

I think I know what the excitement was about. Apparently there was a caterpillar on the hanging basket outside and my wife, who has a phobia about them, asked the staff to remove it, but instead he brought it inside. According to my wife it was green, two feet long and had big bug eyes - she may have been exaggerating but that's how she saw it. She is petrified by a 2mm caterpillar so I think she was having hysterics over this beast. TIT!! :)

DECOR:

Will gloss over the Liverpool football connections everywhere (hehe) inside very typical English bar 10/10 outside typical Thai street 'catch the customer' affair - can't blame them for that so not counting it. 10/10

Although I am a Red, there are also scarves of Everton (just to keep them from moaning), Bayern Munchen, and Raufoss, as well as penants for Notts County and Alloa! If anyone wants to donate a scarf or penant I'll gladly find a spot for it. We are also the Official Home of the International Burnley Supporter Club (Chiang Mai Branch). He should be in tomorrow.

GUINESS:

The new barman is a bit shy and has a strange nervous smile so maybe you mis-interpreted it. He is a very easy-going, respectful guy so I would be very surprised if he was sarcastic - my previous barman was eventually sacked for that attitude.

ATMOSPHERE:

I think I know what the excitement was about. Apparently there was a caterpillar on the hanging basket outside and my wife, who has a phobia about them, asked the staff to remove it, but instead he brought it inside. According to my wife it was green, two feet long and had big bug eyes - she may have been exaggerating but that's how she saw it. She is petrified by a 2mm caterpillar so I think she was having hysterics over this beast. TIT!! :)

DECOR:

Although I am a Red, there are also scarves of Everton (just to keep them from moaning), Bayern Munchen, and Raufoss, as well as penants for Notts County and Alloa! If anyone wants to donate a scarf or penant I'll gladly find a spot for it. We are also the Official Home of the International Burnley Supporter Club (Chiang Mai Branch). He should be in tomorrow.

As a lifelong Southend supporter I tend not to say to much about Premier League sides! :D

With the Red Lion so much in the public eye :D on my way back from Pantip Plaza I stopped of for a quick pint today, first time I've been inside in around 5 years but the decor hadn't changed [ not a bad thing ]. The staff were friendly and attentive apart from the one that was asleep on the far table but this added a bit of local colour to the surroundings :D . I was pleasantly suprised to find it was a happy hour price for my beer when I left, though if I had remembered I would have gone for the Guinness :) The clientle was mainly tourists apart from one old fellow propping up the bar.

I would probably pop in again if I was in the area and will try the food at some point

Hi

I tried the Red Lion last night to after the hype - as I had to take

my folks to the Night Bazzar and wanted somewhere to sit it out and wait!

Staff friendly, but more attentive to those sitting outside, rather than inside.

I had steak and kidney pie and mash, but it wasn't enough so I had to order some extra chips after.

Beer! I'm guessing I'm NOT their target customer as I thought the beer Very expensive! NO large bottles,

NO local draught beer and a SMALL beer was 60/70 baht. Cheapest beer was a litre jug of Heineken at 180 -

whereas you can get a litre of Chang in Anusarn market for 109 baht just round the corner.

Thought the music/dvd offering on the TV was soooo boring, Sinatra and Cliff really don't float my boat!

Would have been better to have had old UK sitcoms or such like playing (imho)

David

With the Red Lion so much in the public eye :D on my way back from Pantip Plaza I stopped of for a quick pint today, first time I've been inside in around 5 years but the decor hadn't changed [ not a bad thing ]. The staff were friendly and attentive apart from the one that was asleep on the far table but this added a bit of local colour to the surroundings :D . I was pleasantly suprised to find it was a happy hour price for my beer when I left, though if I had remembered I would have gone for the Guinness :) The clientle was mainly tourists apart from one old fellow propping up the bar.

I would probably pop in again if I was in the area and will try the food at some point

There is a happy hour price on Guinness? Wish I would have known that before. Good reason to go back and have a couple! What time/days is happy hour and how much is Guinness?

There is a happy hour price on Guinness? Wish I would have known that before. Good reason to go back and have a couple! What time/days is happy hour and how much is Guinness?

'Every day 4-6pm (Happy Hours) Draught Guinness and Tetley's Smooth Bitter is 160B a pint at The Red Lion.'

From an earlier post of Kevin's :D

Does the Red Lion have any relationship to the Pink Panther? :)

I'll be seeing you guys in less than two weeks if a shark doesn't get me first.

I had an exciting experience today. I had played a nice bonefish almost to my feet and a 6 foot shark raced in and took it. Needless to say it popped off my fly that was working the best. The shark spooked all bonefish within the area I was fishing and pretty much finished the day. I think I landed 6 bones and lost about 4 more.

Hi

Staff friendly, but more attentive to those sitting outside, rather than inside.

I had steak and kidney pie and mash, but it wasn't enough so I had to order some extra chips after.

Beer! I'm guessing I'm NOT their target customer as I thought the beer Very expensive! NO large bottles,

NO local draught beer and a SMALL beer was 60/70 baht. Cheapest beer was a litre jug of Heineken at 180 -

whereas you can get a litre of Chang in Anusarn market for 109 baht just round the corner.

Thought the music/dvd offering on the TV was soooo boring, Sinatra and Cliff really don't float my boat!

David

If you think that 60/70 baht for a SMALL beer is Very expensive, then I'm afraid you are quite right about the fact that you are NOT my target customer - my high overheads wouldn't allow it. Anusarn market is owned by the owner of Chang Beer so I wouldn't be surprised if he can sell his beer a bit cheaper than I can. 

The music is generally classic 60s/70s/80s rock DVDs or Easy Listening, although we do also have Country, Soul, Jazz and Swing music. We have about 50 different compilations and the one being played at the time is usually dependent on the customers and the time of day. The majority of customers like the music, but if someone wants a particular DVD we usually change. The idea of playing classic comedy is an interesting one, but not one I will take up. Movies and TV sitcoms don't have a place in a pub, in my opinion. 

Thanks for the feedback.

David

Sir Cliff Richard? I only saw him in a Billy Graham flick. He's unknown in the USA; moreso than Slim Whitman.

Hi

David

If you think that 60/70 baht for a SMALL beer is Very expensive, then I'm afraid you are quite right about the fact that you are NOT my target customer - my high overheads wouldn't allow it. Anusarn market is owned by the owner of Chang Beer so I wouldn't be surprised if he can sell his beer a bit cheaper than I can. 

The music is generally classic 60s/70s/80s rock DVDs or Easy Listening, although we do also have Country, Soul, Jazz and Swing music. We have about 50 different compilations and the one being played at the time is usually dependent on the customers and the time of day. The majority of customers like the music, but if someone wants a particular DVD we usually change. The idea of playing classic comedy is an interesting one, but not one I will take up. Movies and TV sitcoms don't have a place in a pub, in my opinion. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Having said that, yours is the only Farang pub I've been in that looks reasonably profitable!

Hi

David

Thanks for the feedback.

Having said that, yours is the only Farang pub I've been in that looks reasonably profitable!

location, location, location :)

David

Sir Cliff Richard? I only saw him in a Billy Graham flick. He's unknown in the USA; moreso than Slim Whitman.

Lots of old Beatles fans know that the Fab Four wiped him off the British charts. He is always mentioned in articles about how the Beatles began.