Famous People You've Met In Los

sbk

I met Seal. He came into our restaurant shortly after he appeared on the Grammys performing A Kiss from A Rose (94?).

We chatted, he was very nice. But, alas, we did not (nor still do not have) television. I had never heard of him, so asked him where he came from :)

I am sure, to this day, he still recalls that crazy American girl on Koh Phangan who clearly had no idea who he was :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, not sure, but i guess you could put in the singer from PowderFingers. They made a video at Loy Krathong here in Chiang Mai. I, and others, ended up in the video and the singer has a short chat with me. Had no idea who he was :)

i tot it was "met"...not "saw". I have seen a few, but that was the only time i met someone here.

However, my Uncle is coming to Bangkok at Christmas and Im going down to see him. Hes famous in certain parts of the world. As hes my Uncle, maybe that doesnt count? As for why he is famous, only a select few will ever hear that one from me. :)

Edited: because part of what i wrote sounded wrong. er..my head isnt screwed on right tonight (or ever for that matter....)

Edited by eek

This years top of the gulf regatta I met Scott Duncanson who built and designed my Yacht Dictator, I purchased the Yacht from South Australian Banker Richard Fidock who got a 2nd and a 5th in the Sydney to Hobart with this yacht, Scott now lives in Phuket and is a very successful yachtsman.

post-4090-1258117428_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1258117664_thumb.jpg

Hmm, not sure, but i guess you could put in the singer from PowderFingers. They made a video at Loy Krathong here in Chiang Mai. I, and others, ended up in the video and the singer has a short chat with me. Had no idea who he was :D

So where's the link to the vid eek? :)

Hmm, not sure, but i guess you could put in the singer from PowderFingers. They made a video at Loy Krathong here in Chiang Mai. I, and others, ended up in the video and the singer has a short chat with me. Had no idea who he was :D

Er...why the " :D " emotion? :D

Personally I would like to see the video myself too, but seeing as the video footage has only just been taken and apparently the song is from their new album, it hasnt been released yet (I have the song title but nothing on youtube as yet). However, this is an image from one of the takes before i was invited to join in (as you can see its just group lanterns being taken off at the same time. He was walking through them all and miming):

pf.jpg

Had i known that it was a music video and who the singer was i suppose I would have taken a pic of him. But, either way it was just an interesting random thing that happened.

I think people can go a bit funny over fame. Its not really something that particularly interests me. I suppose if i were to meet someone who did something very significant that i admire, then i would be very happy to meet them. But i dont really understand people who get wobbly over famous people, or those who would even want to have fame themselves. I would never wish to be in the limelight, every move watched and possibly documented..not fun and not easy.

Not sure where to begin. :D

Had drinks (several) with Loso - great band BTW

Carabao a couple of times in Chiangmai when he was a major thorn in the side of the government. :D

His Majesty King Bhumibol at university graduation ceremonies (at a distance though)

HRH Princess Sirindhorn

Paveena Hongsakul - suspect it is someone sbk would like to meet also.

Minister of Education

Minister of Agriculture

Hesitate putting this one down, but - PM (at the time) Thaksin. :)

I'm sure there are more, just the more memorable ones that I've talked with. BTW - one of the advantages of working at a major university research center.

Er...why the " :D " emotion? :D

Personally I would like to see the video myself too, but seeing as the video footage has only just been taken and apparently the song is from their new album, it hasnt been released yet (I have the song title but nothing on youtube as yet). However, this is an image from one of the takes before i was invited to join in (as you can see its just group lanterns being taken off at the same time. He was walking through them all and miming):

pf.jpg

Had i known that it was a music video and who the singer was i suppose I would have taken a pic of him. But, either way it was just an interesting random thing that happened.

I think people can go a bit funny over fame. Its not really something that particularly interests me. I suppose if i were to meet someone who did something very significant that i admire, then i would be very happy to meet them. But i dont really understand people who get wobbly over famous people, or those who would even want to have fame themselves. I would never wish to be in the limelight, every move watched and possibly documented..not fun and not easy.

No offense meant, only teasing... that emoticon is a bit full on isn't it? I'll stick to this from now on. :D

:D

Quoted......."His Majesty King Bhumibol at university graduation ceremonies ."

Since you mentioned it.

Which brought back my ultimate fondest memory at the time (in late '60s), I was one of Thammasart students receiving my degree from His Majesty King Phumibol and Her Majesty Queen Sirikit.

Same good fortune also gone to some of my close classmates too :

Khun Bunyart Buntuttarn, Dr. Trairong Suwannakiri, Khun Prajuab Chaiyasarn, Khun Sutust Ngeunmeun. Between them they were holding dozens of the ranks of Ministries which span for over three decades.

Still seeing former PM Chuan and my VIP friends at Thammasart Day (Dec. 10) every year at Tha Prajaan campus. :)

Hello SBK -- I hope you don't mind this OT apropos to your meeting with Seal. This story first appeared in an article on the survival of small rural movie theaters in The Wall Street Journal many years ago which I retell from memory:

Don Shula, the famed Miami Dolphins NFL Football coach, walked into a small movie theater in Maine during the summer. Everyone clapped when they saw him and he politely acknowledged the applause. The movie then started.

After the movie, he commented to an audience member that he was surprised that anyone recognized him all the way up here in Maine.

"I have no idea who you are," said the Maine resident. "The theater owner said that he would not start the movie until there were at least 10 customers, and YOU were the 10th customer."

This dates me!

Mike Hawthorn - Champion racing driver - used to give me a lift to school in an Austin Healy. Sadley killed in I think the same car , on the Hog's Back near Guildford, Surrey.

Peter Twiss - test pilot.

Peter Eagan - actor

Alan Bates - actor and a distant cousin- We used to play soccer in the back yard and I have a picture of us somewhere smiling at the camera, showing that we had no front teeth. I must have been about five then. - now deceased.

Eric Newby - author of travel books "Slowly Down The Ganges" etc and some sort of distant cousin.

Alan Bond - America Cup Winner - unfortunately!

Hugh Gaitskill - politician - some people think he was murdered - friend of my parents.

Sidney Box and Betty Box - director and costumier of old black and white films - friends of my parents.

Gerry Forsegate - got the HK 7s up and running and has the stadium in HK named after him - CEO of the HK Kowloon Wharf Co - he started the "Star Ferry" - now deceased.

Arnold Palmer - took him "out on the town" one night , on his visit to Sydney for the Australian open years back.

Johny Dankworth & Cleo lane - met them in Melbourne - we were stranded by a strange sand storm covering the city - had a great afternoon drinking beside the Hilton pool with them. Nice people.

Interesting that most of the people I knew in the "interesting" list are either dead or have been in gaol or faded away. I doubt a single one of them would ever rember meeting me.

Mick Jagger at Nana Plaza about five years ago. He had a male and female body guard and headed to the Rainbow 2 bar. Where I followed and sat on the table next to him and his entourage.

Apparently Michael Jackson was at one of the full moon parties in disguise many moons ago. Can't say I saw him though.

Oh, and Keith Flloyd on Ko Samui.

This dates me!

Mike Hawthorn - Champion racing driver - used to give me a lift to school in an Austin Healy. Sadley killed in I think the same car , on the Hog's Back near Guildford, Surrey.

Peter Twiss - test pilot.

Peter Eagan - actor

Alan Bates - actor and a distant cousin- We used to play soccer in the back yard and I have a picture of us somewhere smiling at the camera, showing that we had no front teeth. I must have been about five then. - now deceased.

Eric Newby - author of travel books "Slowly Down The Ganges" etc and some sort of distant cousin.

Alan Bond - America Cup Winner - unfortunately!

Hugh Gaitskill - politician - some people think he was murdered - friend of my parents.

Sidney Box and Betty Box - director and costumier of old black and white films - friends of my parents.

Gerry Forsegate - got the HK 7s up and running and has the stadium in HK named after him - CEO of the HK Kowloon Wharf Co - he started the "Star Ferry" - now deceased.

Arnold Palmer - took him "out on the town" one night , on his visit to Sydney for the Australian open years back.

Johny Dankworth & Cleo lane - met them in Melbourne - we were stranded by a strange sand storm covering the city - had a great afternoon drinking beside the Hilton pool with them. Nice people.

Interesting that most of the people I knew in the "interesting" list are either dead or have been in gaol or faded away. I doubt a single one of them would ever rember meeting me.

Arnold Palmer is not dead, not in jail and hasn't really faded away either. He still designs courses still plays senior golf tournaments and is still considered one of the greatest golfers ever.