Famous People You've Met In Los

sbk

The Mick Jagger sightings always make me chuckle. I keep hearing of people who meet him in these incredibly random places in Southeast Asia. Last one was a friend who ran into him in Luang Prabang, but there are pretty regular sightings in various parts of Asia. I dunno if he just travels a lot, likes Asia or just enjoys going to remote places where he won't be bothered. hel_l, if I had a bajillion dollars I'd probably just wake up once a week and go "Yeah, I wanna see Petra today" or "A beer in Munich sounds good this afternoon" and snap my fingers and go.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Met Gary Stretch recently and a great guy too,and Brian Jacks is a fantastic man.I think most of us have met Jimmy White though.

Jimmy White twice..... Gary Stretch, just the once but that was in a chippy in St. Helens, and he was face down on the floor after a rugby player punched his lights out for being an obnoxious git.

I was still in Merseyside Police at that time stationed at St Helens, his brothers Conrad and Ronny were bad boys but Gary was a bit of a big head, he asked the Saints player to go outside to sort the problem and the Saints player said there was no need and just dropped him inside :)

Well not in LOS -- as a few others have posted here -- but in NYC and posted 2 years ago on Farang Pub for Kuhn Bulmercke:

I was walking down the the Central Park 'West Drive' in NYC -- it must have been on a weekend as the road was closed to traffic. I then lived on 57th street a few blocks west of Carnegie Hall (How do you get to Carnegie Hall?? PRACTICE!) As I was taking a brisk walk heading south, I looked to my left and there on a bench near the Dakota site (W 72nd at Central Park West) were John Lennon, Yoko Ono, and Sean who must have been about 4 at the time. I slowed down my walk a bit, but being a true New Yorker at the time, I never broke stride. I said to JL: HELLO! and smiled and he smiled and said HELLO! back.

I kept walking and that was it. It was quite near the area of the Park off West Drive now known as 'Strawberry Fields' item 'W' on the map here and obviously named in his memory.

http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/PageServer?pagename=map -- (ZOOM in and pan south and west)

Im off topic a bit here, sorry, just that i went to school with Sean. Hes a few years younger than me though. We hung out quite a bit at one point, but in all honesty its hard to be friends with people when social leechers are around at every corner and pounce on them. At the time i was 16 and naive and young and didnt get it, in hindsight i would have dragged him away from them, but at the time i thought he wanted to be around them. Many people, no matter what their background, leech onto others who have fame or connection to fame. Sad really, and not something id ever like to experience. I guess thats a hazard of those who are famous face. Who are my real friends and who are the social piranhas?

Seems like every other weekend at either Siam Paragon or Central Plaza or some other shopping mall the place is cluttered with Thai celebs. I am supposed to know who they are but because I am a boring old git I have to rely on my stepdaughter to introduce me.

If only I could remember who they are and why they are famous.....but there are just so many.....

Re: John Lennon. Now THAT is a cool story. Thanks Kuhn UG. Sometimes when I tell that story people say "Why didn't you stop to talk with him?" I say that it would have spoiled the moment and then he might not have been so friendly... besides he was just enjoying a lovely day out with his family...

I totally understand. I have run into Paul Kantner many times at concerts in San Francisco and he is another hero of mine. However, I always got a strong vibe that he did not want to be approached (he was always alone), so I did not bother. :)

I bumped into Eric Cantona in Q Bar and smoke and a chat with Keith Floyd when he gave a dinner talk at the BCCT.. I kind of put my foot in it when I mentioned that I used to enjoy going to his old pub near Totnes, as beautiful as it was and food was great, the place almost bankrupted him... so it didnt go down too well!

Met Gary Stretch recently and a great guy too,and Brian Jacks is a fantastic man.I think most of us have met Jimmy White though.

Jimmy White twice..... Gary Stretch, just the once but that was in a chippy in St. Helens, and he was face down on the floor after a rugby player punched his lights out for being an obnoxious git.

I was still in Merseyside Police at that time stationed at St Helens, his brothers Conrad and Ronny were bad boys but Gary was a bit of a big head, he asked the Saints player to go outside to sort the problem and the Saints player said there was no need and just dropped him inside :)

Bumped into Gary a few times in the last few months around Patong...top man

I had coffee with Thaksin about four years ago.

Well , I didn't actually have coffee with him ... I had coffee in the same Starbucks as him on Luang Suan.

We met at the door upon entering , I :) to him and he returned the gesture. He had about four bodyguards in suits following him.

I also met Elvis Presley a few weeks back on Sukhumvit , but geeeeez he looks a lot older now and a bit rougher around the edges. I believe he's been in hiding in a hotel near Nana someone mentioned.

Sat next to Zinedine Zidane a couple of years ago on a TG BKK-CNX flight. I have absolutley NO interest in football and had no idea who he was until a member of the flight crew rather breathlessly told me he was one of the greatest players ever. Is he/was he? Never bothered to find out...