Heavy Police Presence For Tomorrow's Pad Rally

webfact

PAD MASS RALLY

Heavy police presence for tomorrow's PAD rally

By The Nation

Published on November 14, 2009

About 900 police officers will be deployed for tomorrow's rally by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), which expects tens of thousands of people to take part.

Metropolitan Police spokesman Colonel Piya Uthayo yesterday said police expected at least 10,000 protesters to join the rally.

While the protesters plan to congregate at Sanam Luang and then march to the Royal Plaza, Piya said they should not head to the Royal Plaza before 7pm, as the Royal Guards will be rehearsing for the trooping of the colours earlier in the day.

The protesters are expected to disperse at midnight.

Some 150 police officers will be deployed at Sanam Luang, 150 at Democracy Monument and 150 at the Royal Plaza, while another 150 will take care of traffic in the area. A further 300 officers will be held back in case support is needed.

Police will ask the military for more support if necessary, Piya said, adding that roads would remain open to traffic unless the size of the rally exceeded expectations.

The PAD said it would march in protest against fugitive ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra accepting an advisory position offered by Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen.

The PAD said its protest would also be an expression of loyalty to the Royal Family and to show its readiness to protect the country's dignity.

Sunthorn Raknarong, a PAD coordinator in the 16 southern provinces, said many protesters from the South had started travelling to Bangkok by car yesterday. They plan to offer get-well wishes to His Majesty the King at Siriraj Hospital before joining the rally.

However, most southern protesters will travel by train, he said.

Sunthorn said at least 500 protesters from each of the southern provinces had volunteered to join the rally.

Suriyan Thongnu-ied, secretary-general of the Campaign for Popular Democracy, said PAD supporters from Chiang Mai would either travel on their own or take vans provided by the PAD.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/14

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No implementation of the security act for the yellows only for the reds.

The yellows will feel left out, or does it indicate some sort of bias- surely not. :)

The Yellow protests are in general a lot more peaceful than those of the reds.

The yellows will feel left out, or does it indicate some sort of bias- surely not. :)

The yellows don't try to blow up gas trucks or shoot villagers.

That will be a peaceful demonstration not intended to topple the government

As long as they get their own way and support for everyone involved it will be peaceful.

I doubt whether they are really ready for a rally to be honest. They have probably been caught a bit unaware by Thaksin's recent moves. They called it at a few days notice, which makes organization very difficult. The reds have been giving up to a months notice to get a few tens of thousands. It also seems they dont have much money to throw around. Unless some outsider wants to make trouble it will likely be a peaceful affair and I would think fairly small. Size will depend on BKK turnout as there really isnt enough time to get the masses and in BKK the PAD are nowhere near as popular as they once were, so unless the rally is seen by people as an expression of loyalty or something like that the PAD will struggle to get a biggy.

What chance they continue the rally though? They have done this from small starts before.

Yes, I remember their most recent "peaceful" protest at the Cambodia temple.

Both reds and yellows are becoming a major embarrassment to Thailand and both have elements that are prone to violence.

You kid your friends and I'll kid mine...but lets not kid each other KireB

Both reds and yellows are becoming a major embarrassment to Thailand and both have elements that are prone to violence.

I think he was referring to in BKK, not the troublemakers that went to the temple. That was a very small group too, i.e. isolated group of hardcore fans. Not something you implement ISA for.

Do we think 10k PAD supporters will run amok today? No, not a chance. Not even if they were attacked violently from the outside.

As long as they get their own way and support for everyone involved it will be peaceful.

It's not like they are really friends with the Democrats is it?

No, the likelihood of a PAD rampage is minimal.

They have no discernible motivation to riot, and the police will not give them reason to like Oct 7 last year.

Bias has little to do with this calculation, PAD was stopped at the border last month,

and with a fracas, but this is not a PAD faction marching to confrontation with another nation at the border.

Apples and oranges and grapes. Not same same same.

I think he was referring to in BKK, not the troublemakers that went to the temple. That was a very small group too, i.e. isolated group of hardcore fans. Not something you implement ISA for.

Do we think 10k PAD supporters will run amok today? No, not a chance. Not even if they were attacked violently from the outside.

PAD was attacked at the temple!

The PAD so-called rally is not the primary political event this weekend...far from it.

This PAD activity is a logical extension of the Govts. stoking the nationalist sentiment. An age-old practice when Govts. and/or dictators feel insecure.

Fabricating an external threat and creating a crisis atmosphere has been the tactic for centuries. For the ploy to seem credible however, there needs to be some sort of visible public support. That is where the PAD activity of this weekend fits in.

The major and only noteworthy event of this weekend is occurring in Khao Yai. It is anticipated that in excess of 100,000 will be gathering there for a fund raising concert to support the Democracy activities of the UDD.

It is doubtful that the domestic media will mention this however, as their sympathies are strongly with the PAD. It would also be embarrassing to see well over 100,000 gathering in Khao Yai, and less than 10,000 in BKK.

These two events and attendance numbers are a reflection of the electorate in Thailand.

It is not by accident that elections will be avoided at all costs by the current Administration.

Really. According to whom?

Really. According to whom?

According to our perception, I guess

Yellows did some pretty stupid things but hijacking a tanker and threatening to blow it up wasn't one of them.

Two of my ex-students live on the same soi where the reds attacked the mosque, shops and cars. They were very scared. Sympathy for any of those protesters (including some of my ex-red extended family) evaporated overnight. My family is not as divided as it used to be. Black Songkran changed a lot of things.

Yellows did some pretty stupid things but hijacking a tanker and threatening to blow it up wasn't one of them.

Yeah why go small potatoes when you can grab an International Airport ....for how long? .....Cost how much?.....In damages to both the airport & Thailand in general?

Edited by flying

Yeah why go small potatoes when you can grab an International Airport ....for how long? .....Cost how much?.....In damages to both the airport & Thailand in general?

You're right, a plague on both their houses. At least the lives of people I know weren't threatened by the airport seizure.

I'm not yellow and neither am I red. I tell it like I see it.

Damage to Thailand? Seizure of airport, attack on Prem's house, seizure of government house, attack on PM's motorcade, War on drugs etc. ad infinitum, ad nauseum.. :)

The LPG tanker thing was definitley on a different plane of terror than seizing an airport or even the fights between the two groups. It directly terrorised and threatened the lives of people not involved. If you talk to anyone who was there you will find it was not a pleasant experience.

Having said that both reds and yellows are capable of violence. The yellows havent yet gone to the extremes of the reds in terms of violence although in terms of economic damage they have to the best of my knowledge outdone the reds. Lets hope we dont have chance to see if they are also capable of extreme violence and terror or if the reds are capable of repeating it. Surely nobody wants violence.

Personally I dont think it will occur but there are always shadowy characters around who are quite capable of starting a conflagration.

The LPG tanker thing was definitley on a different plane of terror than seizing an airport or even the fights between the two groups. It directly terrorised and threatened the lives of people not involved. If you talk to anyone who was there you will find it was not a pleasant experience.

I would respectfully completely disagree.Do I think the Songkran riots were an "unpleasant experience" for some? Of course but that's not really the point.And to equate (actually you seem to be saying it's worse) the incident of the LPG tanker with the seizure of the international airport...well, unusually perhaps words fail me especially given your normally admirable common sense.

I would respectfully completely disagree.Do I think the Songkran riots were an "unpleasant experience" for some? Of course but that's not really the point.And to equate (actually you seem to be saying it's worse) the incident of the LPG tanker with the seizure of the international airport...well, unusually perhaps words fail me especially given your normally admirable common sense.

TankerS (not just one) and the opened and closed the valves, if only ignite by accident it would be terrible.

To recall there was were people who did not like to get burned down and they shot instead by the red.

Yellow never did anything simillar.

You must have been asleep. :)

Having someone park an LPG tanker outside a residential complex in which you live and have a drunk then repeatedly let ouyt gas and threaten to immolate the whole area is more than an unpleasant experience. It isa direct threat to kill many many people and as such terrorism in its real sense. The seizure of the airport was not a life threatening experience. It was an economy and image damaging event. To my mind to threaten or terrorize hundreds of relatively poor people do nothing but sitting in their own apartments is worse than disrupting the economy and damaging the image of a country but without threatening hundreds of lives at the same time. I guess not everyone will agree with this but for me I would always value people's safety over things like short term economic damage, inconvenience and face.

I do not condone either act.

I wonder how many people would rather have a drunk parking an LPG tanker outside their house and repeatedly threaten to blow it up than read about or see on TV that their airport was shut down by demonstrators? I wonder how many people would be more terrorized by the latter than the former?

By the way, I have actually spoken to several people present at the LPG incident and base what I write on their accounts.

Edited to add: and bring it back on topic, lets hope nothing like this occurs at the yellow parade tomorrow.

Edited by hammered

The seizure of the airport was not a life threatening experience. It was an economy and image damaging event. To my mind to threaten or terrorize hundreds of relatively poor people do nothing but sitting in their own apartments is worse than disrupting the economy and damaging the image of ience and face.

I wonder how many people would rather have a drunk parking an LPG tanker outside their house and repeatedly threaten to blow it up than read about or see on TV that their airport was shut down by demonstrators? I wonder how many people would be more terrorized by the latter than the former?

I'm not sure your version of that Songkran incident is the only one held by well informed people, but that's not really the point.

Furthermore saying one does not condone either act is a cop out.

If you can't distinguish between holding the country to ransome and one piece of dangerous stupidity, you have a lot to learn about political context.

The yellows don't try to blow up gas trucks or shoot villagers.

That will be a peaceful demonstration not intended to topple the government

Um have you forgotten what happen when the PAD went to protest at the Cambodian/Thai Temple (can't remember how to spell it)

The seizure of the airport was not a life threatening experience. It was an economy and image damaging event. To my mind to threaten or terrorize hundreds of relatively poor people do nothing but sitting in their own apartments is worse than disrupting the economy and damaging the image of ience and face.

I'm not sure your version of that Songkran incident is the only one held by well informed people, but that's not really the point.

If you can't distinguish between holding the country to ransome and one piece of dangerous stupidity, you have a lot to learn about political context.

:)

So who are these uninformed "well-informed" people?

I am not putting this into poltical context. That is so often just a way of trying to justify inhuman acts in the name of some political ideal. I am making a point from a human point of view. On what happened at Din Daeng I am relying on multiple first hand accounts and to be honest I am not bothered what other people think went on or how they try to spin it. The accounts include those of people who were (are?) broadly supportive of the red cause (Din Daeng flats are not full of wealthy people) but who were extremely critical of this action to use understatement.

I assume you are also not arguing that one has to take sides in this hideous power struggle and choose one lunatic element over the other. Already there are big changes in Thailand that wont be undone and moving into poltical context here it is now possible to see what the next struggle is going to be. The quicker people move to that one the better for Thailand and interstingly enough the Din Daeng incident is a pointer to what elements need to be resisted in the next struggle although I am not sure most people recognize that the next stage has already started as they become caught in analysing a false situation with too many distractors. imho