Is Realistic To Find A Job With A Western Salary In Thailand?

I can show you my work history and bank statement. Locally hired and reckon I earn more than most. 4 different companies, started on 70k.

If the 70k is per month, I don't think that counts as a Western salary.

:D ....whoops and here's me thinking that was his dayrate... :)

US$ +/- 2000/month .........agreed thats not a "Western" Salary....would be interesting to see if he was paying tax on that as well... :D

Does anyone actually know how to read?? Repeat. Started on 70k. In 1997. Yes I have had a salary increase since then.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a matter of economics. If a company has a lucrative business and they need special skills not normally found in Thai employees, they will pay a Western style salary. These companies are often dealing with foreign customers in Thailand or overseas, e.g. banking, finance, law, auditing etc. There are jobs that could conceivably be done by a local but a multinational needs some one they can trust to be CEO, CFO or in a key position like that, either sent in from abroad or hired locally. But as you slide down the corporate tree you are likely to competing for jobs that really require fluent Thai to deal with local staff and customers and local contacts, so you are worth less than a Thai in these jobs. I don't know much IT jobs but it is generally a job that doesn't require liaison with foreign customers or perfect English skills and the CIO is not normally regarded as a key fiduciary position by multinationals. So you would need some specialized IT skills that are hard to find in Thailand or it will be difficult even to find a low paid job here.

I was working in Malaysia fof a very low income and now represent American companies in the engineering/manufacturing field and also have a very good income all done locally as I was here and unemployed for 2 years. I suppose a little Irish Luck was involved but I have had to and continue to deliver quality product manufactured locally.

The only way to get a western salary in Thailand is to start your own service company selling services to the Western world. Unless you have some skill that no other expat has, it's not likely you will find a western salary here....why would anyone pay you a western salary when you can get below a western salary hiring local or an expat who doesn't demand a western salary.

Absolute <deleted>,

.....plenty of expats working here on Western salaries ++ in Thailand...

To answer the OP's question: It is very very difficult to get a decent paying job in Thailand, but not impossible and generally on a word of mouth basis/referral basis...I wouldnt bother with job advertisements etc etc as chances are you will get no where.

I half agree with Soutpeel on this as I beleive he's in the O&G business same as me so yes you can get expat salaries fairly easily.

But in IT when Thais can do the job cheaper probably not so easy unless you can get sent from head office of an expat company.

Did the guy mention he was looking for an IT job? Sorry, I am too lazy to read the whole topic.... or posting for that matter.

IT jobs are a little difficult to find, but it depend on just what kind of IT job. There are plenty of IT jobs dealing with the banking sector here in ERP implementation. One may wish to look into the contractor relationship between IBM Singapore and Kasikorn Bank. IBM has been taking care of much of their IT needs for a while and has numerous expat employees working at Kasikorn's main building as contractors from IBM.

Wow, small world: I went on a visa run up to Mae Sae, took tour van, had mostly Aussie tourists. One of the Aussie fellows started talking to the guy sitting next to him, turns out they both worked for IBM. One of them said he worked for IBM at Kasikorn Bank, but that they were cutting back on staff, and he would soon be looking for new employment. I think he (American) said he had been in Bangkok for 6 years working for IBM.

"yeah...sorta wondered meself...the minimum for senior expat staff on assignment around here would be around 400k baht per month plus package to include international school fees if on family status with children...nobody that I know would mobilize for less.../quote]

Nobody you know would come work here for less than about 140,000 USD/86,000 pounds per year? Seriously? "

I came to Thailand after working my business in Guam for eight years, traveling to Thailand for 6 years, bought a nice, inexpensive condo near a market with cheap, plentiful food and produce, and bought another inexpensive condo across town I rent to an ex-pat for peanuts. Saw an ad on the internet while in Guam (they have one on this website) for obtaining a TEFL certificate, and they would give Work visa if I volunteer teach 4 hrs/wk. Now, I am getting my feet wet teaching as a volunteer, and my former classmates all found employment throughout Thailand. Most that stayed in Chiangmai are averaging @ 35,000-40,000 baht/month. University grads.

Now, if you have a lead on where I could get paid a "measly" US $40,000/yr to teach, I am all ears....kidding.

I would think it depends on what one plans: if you plan to make Thailand your home, then you adjust your salary needs accordingly. If you plan to make it a short term adventure, but have financial obligations outside Thailand, then you need to understand you *probably* won't be finding a job here that allows you to save up funds you can carry back to a western economy as if you never left. If you are transferred here by a western corporation and get all the perks with great salary: hey, wonderful for you. Enjoy it, you hit the lottery.

Me? I can live comfortably and happily, spending less than 12,000 baht/month. I have income from Guam in the form of rental properties. If I decide to, I might look for some part-time teaching job in addition to the volunteering, that covers my basic needs and expenses so I can save more cash each month (but would lose my Time, which is more precious to me). If I decide I "need" a Mercedes, then maybe I look for full-time teaching work.

It all depends in circumstances. To say I wouldn't come to Thailand for "less than 400,000baht/month?" Geez, some have expensive tastes and needs. That's good cheese no matter where you work.

On "only" US $40,000/yr? I'd be saving at least $30,000/yr. Living like a Pharaoh in Paradise.

Good luck to original poster looking for employment!

I can show you my work history and bank statement. Locally hired and reckon I earn more than most. 4 different companies, started on 70k.

If the 70k is per month, I don't think that counts as a Western salary.

:D ....whoops and here's me thinking that was his dayrate... :)

US$ +/- 2000/month .........agreed thats not a "Western" Salary....would be interesting to see if he was paying tax on that as well... :D

2008 average US salary is @ $40,000/yr. Average UK salary in 2007 was US $44,000. (wikipedia) So, a salary in Thailand of 130,000 baht/month would be an average US salary.

To anyone that lives in Chiangmai, and already owns their residence, has no debts, that is very nice green. To have $120/day to spend here? Yikes, can one get foot massaged to death? Overdose on green curry and Erdinger weibbeer? I guess I could be coaxed into giving it a try....seriously, I'd say anything over 75,000baht/month for a 40 hour work week would still be plenty......if you need to work. At least up here in Chiangmai...I understand Bangkok is much more costly.

I agree - it's not impossible to get a western salary, but it's not too likely, unless you're an international school teacher at a top school. It seems like of all the people on this forum who are looking for a job in Thailand, the majority of them are in the IT or Graphic Design fields. I can't imagine that there's enough good jobs for all of them. I do know that there are some people in Bangkok who work for Microsoft, but I don't know if that's an option for you as it sounds like you need to find a job in a hurry.

not impossible =but not likely

does these 2 phrase mean no same same?

Personally i think if you want to stay here and earn western wages then you really need to think outside the box a little .Theres multiple oportunities here to make money but you need to do things different to the Thais .

At the end of the day though its getting more expensive to stay here and the things that set you back heree can take up most your time and you have to aks yourself am i really better off here or not.

Here on Samui it seams like prices have gone up 3 times what they were 3 years ago.Its not the bargain place it used to be .

In eleven years, I have hardly noticed price increases (at a local level). If you are easily distracted, then yes, Samui is getting expensive.

It's also not about how much your life-style costs now, no matter how modest you live.

It's about how much you can save for an eventual retirement and having enough so that you are not wiped out by a single unfortunate event.

The key is "how much can you save".

Wouldn't saving and accumulation certainly be akin to such lifestyles?

It all depends in circumstances. To say I wouldn't come to Thailand for "less than 400,000baht/month?" Geez, some have expensive tastes and needs. That's good cheese no matter where you work.

On "only" US $40,000/yr? I'd be saving at least $30,000/yr. Living like a Pharaoh in Paradise

yeah,,,well, like someone said previously it's all about the goin' rate fer what you do...and I'm talkin' middle management level and above; there's plenty of thais that can manage the lower level activity...

I interviewed at the BKK office of a major US contractor for a job in the Gulf; big salary, good package, etc...then offhand I asked if there were any available positions in their BKK office...the prick just smiled and said 'yeah, if yer willin' to take a local salary...'...<deleted> :)

the point being if your're looking for a western salary and a good career path don't even think about hiring out locally...if employers down the line knew that you were working for local wages your credibility would be shot...sure, anyone can live on 40k baht per month but that's not the point...

good luck to the OP in whatever he achieves... :D

Assume you are talking about IT jobs ??...as the 400k bracket is about right for "starting positions" in Oil and Gas....typically 350-400/m up to and exceeding THB1 mil/m.

Yes, I agree with that. Am also in the O&G game.

Ditto

Just curious....

When you quote a monthly salary, how many months a year do you work, and during the months you are working, what is an average number of hours per week/month?

The main reason I ask is it could be misleading to quote a monthly salary in some contexts, so I'd be interested in a like for life comparison.

What skillsets/ background would you say someone "starting out" would have?

Assume you are talking about IT jobs ??...as the 400k bracket is about right for "starting positions" in Oil and Gas....typically 350-400/m up to and exceeding THB1 mil/m.

Ditto

Just curious....

When you quote a monthly salary, how many months a year do you work, and during the months you are working, what is an average number of hours per week/month?

The main reason I ask is it could be misleading to quote a monthly salary in some contexts, so I'd be interested in a like for life comparison.

O&G positions vary as regards months a year worked/number hours worked etc....so figures quoted are a typical average across the board.

The difference between O&G and other industries is that the base rates/salaries are based on the job type/position, irrespective of where you are in the world, therefore by taking a job in Thailand doesnt mean you take a cut in salary because its Thailand and if you work some of the real tourist hotspots such as Nigeria, the salaries go up from base amounts as they are considered "harder" locations to work in.

If we talk about offshore personnel will be earning between US$80k to US$ 250+/year net, dependent on position, typical for being at work 6 months of the year. However the 6 months you are working is around 84 hours a week, but working 1 month on/ 1 month off.

So not misquoting the monthly salarys in any context. Its like saying an "English teacher" in Thailand gets 30-50k month, while an O&G worker gets THB 350-1 mil/m.

As regards skillsets/background, again very varied

I agree - it's not impossible to get a western salary, but it's not too likely, unless you're an international school teacher at a top school. It seems like of all the people on this forum who are looking for a job in Thailand, the majority of them are in the IT or Graphic Design fields. I can't imagine that there's enough good jobs for all of them. I do know that there are some people in Bangkok who work for Microsoft, but I don't know if that's an option for you as it sounds like you need to find a job in a hurry.

not impossible =but not likely

does these 2 phrase mean no same same?

Huh? Are you asking if those two phrases mean the same thing? I'm sorry if I was unclear, but I keep rereading what I wrote and it makes sense to me. I was saying that it's not impossible to find a job with a western salary here - that is, it IS possible. But, it's not very likely, meaning that it is not easy and there's not a very good chance of finding that kind of job as compared to other countries. Does that clarify things?

Ditto

Just curious....

Work 12 months per year (get paid 13 months).

Work 5 days a week.

Work 8 hours a day (plus 1 hour overtime)

Soutpeel, Pattayaparent, thanks for taking the time out on the responses. Interesting feedback...

Sort of wonder, that given you say people are from various backgrounds, why don't more people try and get into O&G sector. Perhaps the shifts wouldn't suit some, and maybe difficult for relationships, but generally in life most people have to work for things.

Soutpeel, Pattayaparent, thanks for taking the time out on the responses. Interesting feedback...

Sort of wonder, that given you say people are from various backgrounds, why don't more people try and get into O&G sector. Perhaps the shifts wouldn't suit some, and maybe difficult for relationships, but generally in life most people have to work for things.

Lots to people do try and get into O&G and most fail for one reason or another.

As most of the guys in the game know, its very difficult to break into and a lot of jobs are word of mouth only, buddies look after buddies, its like a "big club"....difficult to get in the door, but once in, pretty easy to stay in.

Bare in mind we are using the term O&G sector....this is a very broad description being used, O&G has many different facets, service providers, drilling, construction, fabrication, on shore, offshore etc.

Lots to people do try and get into O&G and most fail for one reason or another.

As most of the guys in the game know, its very difficult to break into and a lot of jobs are word of mouth only, buddies look after buddies, its like a "big club"....difficult to get in the door, but once in, pretty easy to stay in.

Spot on. Also, not many young people joining O&G as it isn't seen as a "sexy" business to get in to.

Many young people see "Big Oil" as evil.

Another reason is that the youth of today just can't seem to tolerate the time away from their girlfriend, family and friends.

Another reason is that the youth of today just can't seem to tolerate the time away from their girlfriend, family and friends.

Me neither so I do onshore construction jobs on married status.

I don't get the holidays you rotation guys get but I'm home every night.

I started offshore, went to onshore for many years, then realised I would rather work offshore, reason being at the end of your swing you can walk away from the job for a month the long leave periods are great for me as it gives me the chance to travel around, dont have to worry about only getting 2-4 weeks a year annual leave and having to plan accordingly... :)

depends what's your job is, my salary is based in USD and is quite reasonable. let say i can earn as much as 15K baht a day, all inclusive rate but not bad for living in Thailand. OK, honestly it's very high but i deserve it because of what i do.

thats not even 500 USD. An average consultant bills out at twice that.

depends what's your job is, my salary is based in USD and is quite reasonable. let say i can earn as much as 15K baht a day, all inclusive rate but not bad for living in Thailand. OK, honestly it's very high but i deserve it because of what i do.

thats not even 500 USD. An average consultant bills out at twice that.

500 USD :) , being paid in the American Paeso .....PRICELESS :D