Is Realistic To Find A Job With A Western Salary In Thailand?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends what's your job is, my salary is based in USD and is quite reasonable. let say i can earn as much as 15K baht a day, all inclusive rate but not bad for living in Thailand. OK, honestly it's very high but i deserve it because of what i do.

thats not even 500 USD. An average consultant bills out at twice that.

500 USD :) , being paid in the American Paeso .....PRICELESS :D

Ok...I am going to bite.....first of all its not US$ 500/day.....its US$ 450/day....

LuckyFive.....its not "very high"...its ok..

For Thailand....if you are working an average of 21 days a month = US$ 9.5k/month = 115k/year gross....yes above national averages for US and UK certainly you would have a pretty good life in Thailand..

In summary its not as good as he thinks it is, but not as bad as some people are suggesting...

If we compare:

Average O&G worker living/working in Thailand vs Luckyfive....not good

Average "English teacher" vs Luckyfive.....he is a rich man.... :D

So all relative in the end

Soutpeel, Pattayaparent, thanks for taking the time out on the responses. Interesting feedback...

Sort of wonder, that given you say people are from various backgrounds, why don't more people try and get into O&G sector. Perhaps the shifts wouldn't suit some, and maybe difficult for relationships, but generally in life most people have to work for things.

Lots to people do try and get into O&G and most fail for one reason or another.

As most of the guys in the game know, its very difficult to break into and a lot of jobs are word of mouth only, buddies look after buddies, its like a "big club"....difficult to get in the door, but once in, pretty easy to stay in.

Bare in mind we are using the term O&G sector....this is a very broad description being used, O&G has many different facets, service providers, drilling, construction, fabrication, on shore, offshore etc.

I would also include the design and construction of downstream plants, such as what goes on in Mapthphut as part of the O&G business.

There is no doubt the average age of people working in the business, particularly the upstream sector which people mostly associate with O&G, is getting very high. It is almost to point where a lot of knowledge and experience is literally dying off and is not being replaced. Average age in our company for that sector is something like 58 years old. What I see is the old guys are being replaced with younger people from developing countries. Thailand being a very good example, companies like CUEL have some very good young Thai guys coming up.

TH

I would give up my O&G pay if I could stay in Thailand and "only" make US$450 a day.

Let's face it, being offshore isn't that nice, which is why the pay is so good.

Suppose a case of different strokes for different folks...

I have worked both sides of the fence...onshore and offshore, and although it sounds strange...if I have to work.... I would rather it was offshore than onshore....Money is very good, but the leave cycles are even better...yes away from home etc etc, but thats the price you pay..works for me

Again, as strange as it sounds after a month at home I am actually glab to get back to work sometimes.... :D ...I personally enjoy the dynamic enviroment...never a dull moment.. :)

Thailand being a very good example, companies like CUEL have some very good young Thai guys coming up.

TH

TH...dont say this too loudly... :D ...The average TV poster is under the impression that Thai nationals are no good at anything even remotely related to Engineering/Mainteance etc etc...you are shattering their illusions and perceptions built up on their dealings with Somchai the builder in Isaan... :)

Me neither so I do onshore construction jobs on married status.

Also, you have that nasty four letter word to deal with.........Tax!

Pretty sure even though PP works on the beach his tax structure will be very agreeable... :)

Dead right, to me tax are the pins you stick things to the wall with.

And holidays are 6 weeks per year plus public holidays.

Edited by PattayaParent

Soutpeel, Pattayaparent, thanks for taking the time out on the responses. Interesting feedback...

Sort of wonder, that given you say people are from various backgrounds, why don't more people try and get into O&G sector. Perhaps the shifts wouldn't suit some, and maybe difficult for relationships, but generally in life most people have to work for things.

Lots to people do try and get into O&G and most fail for one reason or another.

As most of the guys in the game know, its very difficult to break into and a lot of jobs are word of mouth only, buddies look after buddies, its like a "big club"....difficult to get in the door, but once in, pretty easy to stay in.

Bare in mind we are using the term O&G sector....this is a very broad description being used, O&G has many different facets, service providers, drilling, construction, fabrication, on shore, offshore etc.

I would also include the design and construction of downstream plants, such as what goes on in Mapthphut as part of the O&G business.

There is no doubt the average age of people working in the business, particularly the upstream sector which people mostly associate with O&G, is getting very high. It is almost to point where a lot of knowledge and experience is literally dying off and is not being replaced. Average age in our company for that sector is something like 58 years old. What I see is the old guys are being replaced with younger people from developing countries. Thailand being a very good example, companies like CUEL have some very good young Thai guys coming up.

TH

I find this thread to be very interesting as I am in a similar position right now.

I am 37 and have worked for an multi-national engineering company, in the procurement department for 4 years now and 2 years with a previous O&G outfit. I am quite good at what I do. The economic downturn has hit my company, too. We have had a bunch of projects go on hold, cancelled, deferred etc.

Our company is an LSTK EPC contractor for the O&G and petro business. We achieved MC on a major Olefins plant in Map Ta Phut last month. No possibility for movement within the group now. All offices are having a hard time.

However, since I am not an engineer (I have an Underbachelor in Mech Eng), it is real hard to find work in (O&G and Petro)Procurement and/or Manufacturing Supervision during this downturn. Many workshops in Thailand are running out of work. I have very little to do at work in Europe now and I have a fear that they want to let me go. My company sent me on assignment to SriRacha last year and moved all my stuff. Alas, work ran out and I had to return to the HO.

I am seriously considering to just up and go when I have saved together some cash. I have a figure of about 18 to 20k euros in mind. Does that sound reasonable? I am hoping for the baht to hit the magic 50 baht to the euro mark. Very close now.

I am fully aware that getting hired locally would put me in severe competion with locals.

I speak a little Thai (which needs to improve to fluent business&technical Thai pronto), married to a wonderful Thai woman (who has her own small company) and I really need to get my ass back home to BKK. Getting a Non-imm O based on marriage should be possible.

I applied on a position with CUEL a while ago, but no go. Locals only HR said, except "forgot" to say so in the ad on jobsDB. OK, so trying to find something through jobsDB and similar is not going to work. I also applied direct with Chevron. Never got a response, except an acknowledgment email. The so-called expat jobsearch sites do not list my type of work.

I really want to stay in the O&G procurement business. I would consider a (starting) salary of 60k-70k acceptable. Half of what I make now. Big start up costs have been covered already. Apartment, personal stuff moved in, car, bank account.

I think networking would be the way to go, as well, in order to get a position in the first place. Worry about a high salary later.

However, networking from EU is not going to work. I need to hit the hangouts of O&G people.

I realize that running off to Thailand and accepting a low paid job could hamper any future career possiblities, pension plans etc.

What I do for love... :)

Soutpeel, sorenson, thaihome, any tips?

I applied on a position with CUEL a while ago, but no go. Locals only HR said, except "forgot" to say so in the ad on jobsDB. OK, so trying to find something through jobsDB and similar is not going to work. I also applied direct with Chevron. Never got a response, except an acknowledgment email. The so-called expat jobsearch sites do not list my type of work.

I really want to stay in the O&G procurement business. I would consider a (starting) salary of 60k-70k acceptable. Half of what I make now. Big start up costs have been covered already. Apartment, personal stuff moved in, car, bank account.

I think networking would be the way to go, as well, in order to get a position in the first place. Worry about a high salary later.

However, networking from EU is not going to work. I need to hit the hangouts of O&G people.

I realize that running off to Thailand and accepting a low paid job could hamper any future career possiblities, pension plans etc.

Allow me to comment, other guys in the business my have different opinions:

CUEL is generally a no go for farangs these days, however look up the CUEL/Swiber joint venture for future reference.

Chevron does not not take on expats in Thailand, only two ways to get in the door, Chevron staff somewhere else and transfer or alternative is direct contract hire through an Thai agency.

As must already know the O&G buisness works on the buddy buddy network, so you need to build your contact base..

From a practical point of view, you need to get your CV with the Thai body shops who supply expats to companies in Thailand, this is your best chance...send me a PM and will give your the names

Soutie

CUEL is generally a no go for farangs these days, however look up the CUEL/Swiber joint venture for future reference.

Chevron does not not take on expats in Thailand, only two ways to get in the door, Chevron staff somewhere else and transfer or alternative is direct contract hire through an Thai agency.

As must already know the O&G buisness works on the buddy buddy network, so you need to build your contact base..

From a practical point of view, you need to get your CV with the Thai body shops who supply expats to companies in Thailand, this is your best chance...send me a PM and will give your the names

Soutie

Agree with Soutie completely. But, one thing, I think you should consider is not limiting job search to Thailand. There is nothing sadder then an expat trying to stay in Thailand at any price. You say you would take one for 60-70k a month. That is very, very sad. What you should be doing looking to get on with one the MNC that does work all over the world, particularly in the ME and Africa now. Get a job with them and you can take a paid vacation in Thailand every 3-4 months and make nice money when you are not here.

TH

Staying in Thailand at any cost is not in question. If that is the message conveyed in my first post, then I should have worded it differently.

The topic in this thread was talking about whether western level of salary for expats in Thailand was feasible.

There was some discussion about what would be considered a good level. I would consider 120k to 150k a month a very good level. Others would not go through the trouble for under 200k. They would say 100k would be desparate. For me 100k would be ideal. I do not go on the piss and chase pussy every night. I got all I need at home. :D

I would consider 60-70k if it was offered, if it would be a full time permanent position. I would not think it desparate. Getting a foot in the door is the trick.

I have been looking into other parts of SEA. Singapore and Malaysia are viable alternatives for sure. I am with an MNC now, but there are no oppurtunities for me for moving to SEA within the group now.

I am in a position now to to take holidays every 3-4 months to Thailand. However, that will not be healthy for my marriage in the long run.

In any case, thanks for your comments thaihome. :)

I would consider 60-70k if it was offered, if it would be a full time permanent position. I would not think it desparate. Getting a foot in the door is the trick.

The problem going in too low to get a foot in door, even though a full time permanent position, it will take your years to get your money anywhere decent.

The problem going in too low to get a foot in door, even though a full time permanent position, it will take your years to get your money anywhere decent.

And how would you feel working alongside the guys that are getting the 200k++??

What I do for love... :D

Soutie

Agree with Soutie completely. But, one thing, I think you should consider is not limiting job search to Thailand. There is nothing sadder then an expat trying to stay in Thailand at any price. You say you would take one for 60-70k a month. That is very, very sad. What you should be doing looking to get on with one the MNC that does work all over the world, particularly in the ME and Africa now. Get a job with them and you can take a paid vacation in Thailand every 3-4 months and make nice money when you are not here.

TH

There are many expats in Chevron at the SCB plaza :)

That's something I have also considered. Its not an amount I am aiming for.

And how would you feel working alongside the guys that are getting the 200k++??

If they are doing the same as I, that would suck. I know it all depends on how you get in.

Really, that is very interesting. Care to elaborate by PM?

I live 10 minutes walk from SCB Plaza.

EvilDr....Rather let me elaborate, as pointed out in a previous post only two ways into the abovementioned company in SCB plaza...staff transferred from other operations in the world and generally only on 2-5 year secondment or Direct hire contract through Thai bodyshops the names of which I PM'ed to you..Chevon Thailand to not hire expat staff in Thailand.

I would strongly advise not to go mincing around SCB trying to pick up contacts as it generally will p*ss people off...

That's something I have also considered. Its not an amount I am aiming for.

Believe you said you were 37...therefore you are coming up on your highest earning years...therefore you should be aiming for the "amount"

Really, that is very interesting. Care to elaborate by PM?

I live 10 minutes walk from SCB Plaza.

EvilDr....Rather let me elaborate, as pointed out in a previous post only two ways into the abovementioned company in SCB plaza...staff transferred from other operations in the world and generally only on 2-5 year secondment or Direct hire contract through Thai bodyshops the names of which I PM'ed to you..Chevon Thailand to not hire expat staff in Thailand.

I would strongly advise not to go mincing around SCB trying to pick up contacts as it generally will p*ss people off...

SP is right.....are you also based there? :D

Not sure on the hiring process as I work for a service company for Chevron, what I can confirm is that there are many foreign bodies there, but as SP said...probably sent from other regions to do a 5yr stint before moving on.

Its a tricky business were in, where commonly its who you know and sadly not what you know.

Agree not to walk around there advertising yourself, keep sending the CV's out. Have you tried service companies also??

Its a tricky business were in, where commonly its who you know and sadly not what you know.

Ace...sometimes.... under duress.....typically try to avoid the place like the plague if I can help it.. :)

"Who you, not what you know" is generally the only criteria to get you a job in O&G...but knowing what you are doing allows you to keep said job for any length of time.. :D ....certainly offshore... the wheat from the chaff is separated very quickly indeed in my experience.

Ace...sometimes.... under duress.....typically try to avoid the place like the plague if I can help it.. :)

"Who you, not what you know" is generally the only criteria to get you a job in O&G...but knowing what you are doing allows you to keep said job for any length of time.. :D ....certainly offshore... the wheat from the chaff is separated very quickly indeed in my experience.

Know the right people and knowing what you're doing is the right combo in my book too. I will not go "mincing" around SCB plaza (gave me giggle that one). Far too sweaty and humiliating. Not to mention: the D word.

SP, I picked up your advice about Chevron. I believe you. I will follow up on the names you gave.

I will target the agencies and send out my CV. I will aim high.

If you are with a western company that sends you hear then yes, but if you find something hear the salary will be low by western standards.
The only way to get a western salary in Thailand is to start your own service company selling services to the Western world. Unless you have some skill that no other expat has, it's not likely you will find a western salary here....why would anyone pay you a western salary when you can get below a western salary hiring local or an expat who doesn't demand a western salary.
If you have marketable skills that are in demand, best best is to seek out a secondment or overseas posting form within the UK/Europe etc, unless you're connected in Asia and known, you stand little chance getting work here, from here, on your own.
Dude, The hope of even finding a job here is not realistic, so the dream of getting a western salary is just that.

Unless you are an English teacher of course,for which you might get 30-50k baht per month from what i understand.

I quoted the above as a selection of comments that wound me up, typical barstool banter from people with no idea. I will tell you a little bit about my situation.

I had been living here for 2.5 years basically on holiday, when I realised that I was bored, and that the money I had saved was not going to support my holiday lifestyle indefinitely, so I began to RESEARCH what I could do to stay in Thailand. This research process took around 4 months, meeting people in industry, talking with friends, trawling the web etc. etc.

Finally I decided that my best bet would be to try and break into the O&G business, having no experience in this field I new this would be a tough task but set my mind to it. I then spent 6 months and around 1m baht in KL and Singapore studying for various qualifications, and finally hit the job market.

I didn't expect to be working in Thailand initially, I thought I may be on a rotation system spending 6 months here which would suit me. After a few months of knockbacks due to my lack of experience it became quite depressing, and I wondered if I had just wasted 1m baht on my exams. Eventually after 6 months on the market I landed a job in Thailand for a Thai service company to the O&G business, thanks to a tip-off from a contact I made on one of the industry forums - the job was never advertised.

That was about 7 months ago and I am now earning approx double the average western salary with a car, insurance etc, but unfortunately not quite Soutpeel's magic 400k. I spend approx 1 week per month overseas either offshore, onshore, or in other industries such as mining, it is very varied and enjoyable work. I am due a salary review on Jan 1st, my boss (also farang) has intimated this will be a significant raise due to the fact I have procured contracts with 3 multi national oil and gas companies in the last few months, and I am hoping I will hit, or be near to, Souties magic 400k in the new year.

The purpose of this post is not to boast, but to debunk the naysayers such as those quoted above, and to give some hope to those whose same position I was in 2 years ago.

Spend some time to research the market you are interested in, re-qualify if necessary. Then you just need bucketfuls of drive and determination, as many contacts as you can find, online and face to face, and a certain stubborness bordering on arrogance.

There are well paying jobs out there, but they won't fall in your lap, mine took nearly 18 months, alot of study and heartache, and some investment which was recouped in a few short months, but it is achievable. FYI I am 37 now.

Good luck!

QED

Nice one and long may it continue for you, I have also advised friends to do what you did and invest in the courses and not give up hope, they are still seeking that magic door opening, but have not give up.

Maybe you could post the links to the industry forums you speak of, so people who are looking can check them out.

May I ask if you did the courses and what your role is now, are you in sales or a contract holder?

Ace

QED

Nice one and long may it continue for you, I have also advised friends to do what you did and invest in the courses and not give up hope, they are still seeking that magic door opening, but have not give up.

Maybe you could post the links to the industry forums you speak of, so people who are looking can check them out.

May I ask if you did the courses and what your role is now, are you in sales or a contract holder?

Ace

Ace,

my post was kept deliberately generic to try and maintain anonymity, the advice is valid for any role in any field I believe.

My position is senior managerial for a medium sized company, heading up R&D, on site deliverables, marketing and development. It started as a more technical role but has morphed into this mainly because of my managerial background I guess, and the fact that the company is small enough for me to have autonomy to run my side of the business as I see fit.

If any board members want some further info feel free to PM me

but unfortunately not quite Soutpeel's magic 400k. I spend approx 1 week per month overseas either offshore, onshore, or in other industries such as mining, it is very varied and enjoyable work. I am due a salary review on Jan 1st, my boss (also farang) has intimated this will be a significant raise due to the fact I have procured contracts with 3 multi national oil and gas companies in the last few months, and I am hoping I will hit, or be near to, Souties magic 400k in the new year.

THB 400k/m...is not a "magic" number its a value to illustate the the average starting salary for expat O&G guys in Thailand.

Typically guys in the game with the right experience/skill set etc etc will be between 400k and THB 1 mil month dependent on the position, again the "average" here being around 500k month ++ ie car/driver, fully comp medical insurance, schooling for kids, if applicable and subsidised/paid for accomdation.

but unfortunately not quite Soutpeel's magic 400k. I spend approx 1 week per month overseas either offshore, onshore, or in other industries such as mining, it is very varied and enjoyable work. I am due a salary review on Jan 1st, my boss (also farang) has intimated this will be a significant raise due to the fact I have procured contracts with 3 multi national oil and gas companies in the last few months, and I am hoping I will hit, or be near to, Souties magic 400k in the new year.

THB 400k/m...is not a "magic" number its a value to illustate the the average starting salary for expat O&G guys in Thailand.

Typically guys in the game with the right experience/skill set etc etc will be between 400k and THB 1 mil month dependent on the position, again the "average" here being around 500k month ++ ie car/driver, fully comp medical insurance, schooling for kids, if applicable and subsidised/paid for accomdation.

:) why can I not find a deal like that :D If anyone needs any bodies, Im ya man :D

Your a lucky man SP, is that per month or only appicable when you have done 28 offshore? i know Im being nosy :D