Internet Connection Gone

guzzi850m2

Hi everybody,

I been looking for answers for my problem on this forum but no luck and are now running on a very slow mobile internet conn. so I gave up searching

My Internet connection in my house here in Pattaya have been gone since Thursday, and I have TOT incl a modem from them (speedtouch 536).

I have tried the following:

Tested my laptop on the modem, no conn. Normally I use a desk top. Laptop is XP, desktop is Win 7 both original copies not pirate(s)

Tested with a telephone on the conn and called my no and the phone is ringing.

I noticed the green indicator light on the right on the modem is not lit (Internet) and it should be lit.

The cables from modem to pc(s) are different, one for the desktop and I use another for the laptop.

I am as you proberly already have guessed yourself no expert :) , but I can conclude that either my modem is faulty or maybe something is wrong with the "supply" from TOT.

I am looking forward to some advise from you guys.

Thanks

guzzi

This is an issue to be address by TOT tech. There is phone signal, but no internet signals. The tech will need to bring along his modem to test. If his works, that means your modem is faulty. If his does not, then he need to check your internet service at TOT's central station.

I have TOT in the Bang Yai, Bang Bua Thong area near Bangkok. My Internet was down all day and I've experienced this before on other occasions.

I don't know it this number works where you are but dial 1100# from the home phone and press 9 to get a tech who speaks English. They will ask for your home phone number.

Today when I called and gave them my number they told me the techs were working on the problem. My area has old phone lines and TOT is working to upgrade the lines to offer faster Internet speeds.

I have have fond that after I have these problems I need to setup my modem again with the username and password given when we opened the ADSL account.

Adding to the mystery is that you have to keep doing this all day because you don't know when TOT has resloved the problem in the area.

The tech can check your number and give you the correct login info. The time before they had changed the username without me knowing about it.

This is an issue to be address by TOT tech. There is phone signal, but no internet signals. The tech will need to bring along his modem to test. If his works, that means your modem is faulty. If his does not, then he need to check your internet service at TOT's central station.

Yes, this happens from time to time all across Thailand, it can last for one or two days, or for less than one hour, depending on the problems TOT are facing in that particular region.

I have solved this problem by subscribing to a second ISP provider, when the problem occurs, (providing the normal phone line is working as in your case) then I disconnect TOT, switch off the modem, and connect to the other ISP, everything works normally again, although a little slower (no ADSL) but this is not a major problem, the important thing is that one is reconnected to the outside world again, every hour or so I test again by connecting to TOT, switch on the modem etc ... and try, if the problem is solved fine, if not I stay connected to the other ISP, no problem, thus go for "Belt & Braces.

Yes, this happens from time to time all across Thailand, it can last for one or two days, or for less than one hour, depending on the problems TOT are facing in that particular region.

I have solved this problem by subscribing to a second ISP provider, when the problem occurs, (providing the normal phone line is working as in your case) then I disconnect TOT, switch off the modem, and connect to the other ISP, everything works normally again, although a little slower (no ADSL) but this is not a major problem, the important thing is that one is reconnected to the outside world again, every hour or so I test again by connecting to TOT, switch on the modem etc ... and try, if the problem is solved fine, if not I stay connected to the other ISP, no problem, thus go for "Belt & Braces.

If you spend money on 2 internet lines, it will make sense to get a dual WAN router to make use of both lines at all times. And even if one line is down, bandwidth is reduced but internet access is still working through the other line. If both lines are working, you have the total bandwidth of both lines to work with, though speed will follow the faster line.

http://www.scripting.com/stories/2008/05/0...lwanRouter.html

http://www.buycoms.com/spec.asp?ProductTyp...ProductID=12304

I currently use True and have around 4 meg service to the USA from my 12 meg service. For a back up I use my Sierra Wireless 885 Aircard. It is surprisingly fast in 2G with AIS 12Call NetSim. The nice thing is it works anywhere in Thailand and is only 100baht for 30 hours of time. In Roiet my connection is faster than the wireless in my hotel. If I lose my local connection which is rare and need the internet I can use my laptop or just plug my air card into a USB port on my desk top. Also the Wireless Card is 3G. With True 3G is pretty much free where available for now.

Edited by AlanL1275

Alan 1275,

This Sierra wireless 885 aircard you are talking about is that via your mobile phone? I assume so, my wireless is very slow, and the problem is that my mobile phone battery drains very fast when I use it as WL for my laptop.

I will go to TOT tomorrow as my land line/modem is still dead, but it might be a long wait to get them out to my house, proberly better to find a TOT service truck and offer a "gift" if they fix my line immediately, he-he.

it's funny...my telephone line is messed up, can't use it to call or receive calls as the static makes both prohibitive....yet my ToT ADSL connection is the best it's ever been...

I always thought that telephone line integrity is required for a good internet connection... :)

The static may indicate a faulty splitter. Try replacing it.

it's funny...my telephone line is messed up, can't use it to call or receive calls as the static makes both prohibitive....yet my ToT ADSL connection is the best it's ever been...

I always thought that telephone line integrity is required for a good internet connection... :)

no dice...have tried it connected direct without the splitter and it is unusable...have tried to get the stepdaughter to go down the local office and roust the mothers but ye can't do much with 16 y.o. country girls... :D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

no dice...have tried it connected direct without the splitter and it is unusable...have tried to get the stepdaughter to go down the local office and roust the mothers but ye can't do much with 16 y.o. country girls... :D

If you have a few phone sockets around the house running one phone line, which is also serving the internet, all phone set or other device that uses the phone line (eg. fax machine) connected to any socket have to be shielded through a microfilter to avoid the static buzz.

http://www.madasafish.com/support/internet...ter_guide.shtml

If you spend money on 2 internet lines, it will make sense120 Hrs to get a dual WAN router to make use of both lines at all times. And even if one line is down, bandwidth is reduced but internet access is still working through the other line. If both lines are working, you have the total bandwidth of both lines to work with, though speed will follow the faster line.

http://www.scripting.com/stories/2008/05/0...lwanRouter.html

http://www.buycoms.com/spec.asp?ProductTyp...ProductID=12304

Agreed, but one only has to buy 100 hours connection time from the second ISP and this is valid for one year, but since one only uses it when ADSL from TOT is faulted it is more that one needs for one year, thus the cost factor in low.

As to phone lines, yes, if the computer connected phone line goes down the swanny, then of course another problem arises, however, this can also be overcome by having additional phone lines, this will solve the problem by switching the appropriate lines within the phone sockets, I had to do this several times in the past until the original line was restored again,

It is vital to have such solutions in order to meet the connection problems that arise from time to time.

Edited by personchester

If you have a few phone sockets around the house running one phone line, which is also serving the internet, all phone set or other device that uses the phone line (eg. fax machine) connected to any socket have to be shielded through a microfilter to avoid the static buzz.

http://www.madasafish.com/support/internet...ter_guide.shtml

thanks for that, trogers; I will investigate...don't presently have any other devices connected to the landline other than the 6 y.o. Speedtouch 536 modem and the noise persists with it switched off...

in the meantime I called 1100 and described the problem and the helpful guy said that he would relay the message to ToT maintenance. The cabling outside of the house is the usual mishmash with power and telephone hopelessly tangled up....just don't understand how I can have a good internet connection with the unusable telephone line... :D

data and voice are different signals, I know...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I am from the Province of Khon Kaen and have been using TOT for some 6 years now and never really experienced a problem with them, that was up to 4 months ago when we hardly had any inter-net connection at all. (We only had slight problems with our home's telephone land line.) We had already upgraded our system to the maximum 4 Mbps. and constantly and on a daily basis we were making up to 4-5 telephone calls per day to them of our complaint. This problem has finally been resolved. TOT told us that there was too much demand for internet and not enough supply so they are having to use another supply to accomodate this problem. They've been working around the clock to help it's customers as there are now many competitors in the game to steal their customers.

It's like having a 5 cm's bore tube and shoving 20 cm's of a solid substance through it. It just won't accept it!

Edited by Pitbullman1