Don't Understand Some Of You Guys!

toddy

When 'them' in the country or wherever start harping on about cash for sick buffalo or Mother's operations and you start moaning about it, I presume you don't know your girlfriend's folks, have no interest in her background and basically because of fear of boredom or safety or culture shock do not want to visit her village. Why not get out there for a while? Meet the folks. The lady you met in a bar maybe is full of virtue and from a great family but at the moment YOU ARE JUST AN ATM BECAUSE YOU NEVER WENT TO MEET THE TWO MUST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN HER LIFE (MUM & DAD) AND TO SEE THE MOST IMPORTANT PLACE IN HER LIFE - HER VILLAGE. Do that and if you genuinely like the folks and her place, you'll be an important member of the family (married or not), don't do it and you're just the ATM in her life in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya or whereverAND SO VERY FAR EMOVED FROM HER 'REAL LIFE'. If you get the opportunity to visit, then visit - it's all good! Remember aswell - Mum & Dad would rather you work alongside them a day or two in the rice field than you give them 1000 baht - because that way you show them respect and that's better than cash for most of the older villagers I know!

Remember aswell - Mum & Dad would rather you work alongside them a day or two in the rice field than you give them 1000 baht - because that way you show them respect and that's better than cash for most of the older villagers I know!

I daresay that more than 50% would like the feel of a nice crisp 1000baht note than working next to one of their daughters boyfriends... :o

YOU ARE JUST AN ATM BECAUSE YOU NEVER WENT TO MEET THE TWO MUST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN HER LIFE

dont want to generalise here but from a lot of posters here it seems that once you present yourself in the village you run the risk of becoming an open all hours cash dispenser to which a lot of people have access to the pin number.

Remember aswell - Mum & Dad would rather you work alongside them a day or two in the rice field than you give them 1000 baht - because that way you show them respect and that's better than cash for most of the older villagers I know!

I daresay that more than 50% would like the feel of a nice crisp 1000baht note than working next to one of their daughters boyfriends... :o

OK: Scenario- you are in BKK with your long term girlfriend from Isaan. Get the Mother on the blower and explain that you don't mind helping a bit with money but at present you are a bit short. You can send 1000b or instead, you can use it on a bus fare to go visit for the first time and want her to show you how to work in the field for some extra cash (whether or not you need it). You'll get an invite in one second.

YOU ARE JUST AN ATM BECAUSE YOU NEVER WENT TO MEET THE TWO MUST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN HER LIFE

dont want to generalise here but from a lot of posters here it seems that once you present yourself in the village you run the risk of becoming an open all hours cash dispenser to which a lot of people have access to the pin number.

so true :o

When 'them' in the country or wherever start harping on about cash for sick buffalo or Mother's operations and you start moaning about it, I presume you don't know your girlfriend's folks, have no interest in her background and basically because of fear of boredom or safety or culture shock do not want to visit her village. Why not get out there for a while? Meet the folks. The lady you met in a bar maybe is full of virtue and from a great family but at the moment YOU ARE JUST AN ATM BECAUSE YOU NEVER WENT TO MEET THE TWO MUST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN HER LIFE (MUM & DAD) AND TO SEE THE MOST IMPORTANT PLACE IN HER LIFE - HER VILLAGE. Do that and if you genuinely like the folks and her place, you'll be an important member of the family (married or not), don't do it and you're just the ATM in her life in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya or whereverAND SO VERY FAR EMOVED FROM HER 'REAL LIFE'. If you get the opportunity to visit, then visit - it's all good! Remember aswell - Mum & Dad would rather you work alongside them a day or two in the rice field than you give them 1000 baht - because that way you show them respect and that's better than cash for most of the older villagers I know!

Whats the background to your life here Toddy? How long have you been married? How many times have you been up-country? It may help us understand your point of view.

I daresay that more than 50% would like the feel of a nice crisp 1000baht note than working next to one of their daughters boyfriends... :D

OK: Scenario- you are in BKK with your long term girlfriend from Isaan. Get the Mother on the blower and explain that you don't mind helping a bit with money but at present you are a bit short. You can send 1000b or instead, you can use it on a bus fare to go visit for the first time and want her to show you how to work in the field for some extra cash (whether or not you need it). You'll get an invite in one second.

I'd still stick to what I said before...at least 50% would go for the dosh!

It also depends on their situation.If I was one the bones of my arse and didn't have a pot to piss in, I'd go for the money too. :o

Yeah mate but it's not just 'a lot of people' as you put it - it's Chai, the brother or Phan, the Mother or Jai, the Father - people you know well and if one takes the micky then put them straight. See, it's not just 'another sick buffalo' either is it? It's the one with the white hairs on its back or it's the smaller one or it's the one with the dodgy leg - you should know because there your family's buffalo and you have to be involved at that level to be honest or you will have the p*** taken. I think the trick is not to get involved with an Isaan girl who loves the village and is so proud of her family's few rai if you think that kind of life is boring or futile.

How many times have you been up-country? It may help us understand your point of view.

Married 4 years, lived in Mum & Dads village 18 months in their house, lived in my house in village 2 years, been visiting their village four years prior to living there. I'm a farmer and I have animals and rice, I support my kids to a good standard and I work on my farm ... I'd love the labour office to try any queer stuff on my family's land. Actually no ... they know I work and are quite impressed on the sly that I can do it and enjoy it - especially the long cool soak at the end of the day!

How many times have you been up-country? It may help us understand your point of view.

Married 4 years, lived in Mum & Dads village 18 months in their house, lived in my house in village 2 years, been visiting their village four years prior to living there. I'm a farmer and I have animals and rice, I support my kids to a good standard and I work on my farm ... I'd love the labour office to try any queer stuff on my family's land. Actually no ... they know I work and are quite impressed on the sly that I can do it and enjoy it - especially the long cool soak at the end of the day!

In that case you should know better mate. To say that "up country" parents would prefer you to work on the land alongside them over a 1000 bhat is ridiculess.

In that case you should know better mate. To say that "up country" parents would prefer you to work on the land alongside them over a 1000 bhat is ridiculess.

Not as a permanent thing - I'm talking about first time when you visit them. My Father - in - Law regularly wins with the fighting cocks and it is not uncommon for us to go for dinner and beers in the town and he usually spends the winnings (1000b or so). I don't know, I just seem to see a lot of generosity.

When we grew rice my wife used to employ the neighbours for 120 baht a day. I had to admire the speed even old ladies could plant at, a lifetime of experience, my efforts looked paltry in comparison, not firmly enough in the mud, angle not quite right. 1000 baht would employ 8 of those neighbours, productivity twice mine=x16 output. The 1000 baht note wins.

Now we've turned our rice fields to pasture, beef cows, fish ponds; I love it, my wife and in-laws love it but our kids think farming is old fashioned, hard work, dark skin; offices and factories beckon them. My point toddy is that a lot of girls in Bangkok with sick buffaloes at home, (and here you're largely talking bargirls), have no intention of working on the farm, far too much like hard work, their 'real life' as you put it is the bar, restaurant, apartment, convenience and department stores. In our village of over 250 houses there's a few women with farang husbands, what do they do? One or two started their own business,a grocery shop, a beauty salon but the others do nothing, wait for the remits at the post office, farming is the last thing on their mind.

I'm hoping my kids will change their minds in a few years, we have a lovely wooden house, a spacious garden and fields for the cows. A few years of living in Bangkok in one roomed apartments working 10 hours a day to save any money may change their minds but I'm not banking on it.

By working in the fields or just mucking in to help will gain you a measure of respect from all the villagers....in the 2 longer term relationships I have had with Thai girls and both times I went to their villages...I met my ex wife in her village. I was never hassled for money by the folks....maybe because if you dont go and meet the folks you are just a faceless ATM to them....When they see you as a real person they are less likely to try and concoct stories to coerce you out of extra money....

My ex girlfriends father told her to hang on to me because I was careful with money...he saw that as a good thing...he worked in the fields but also as a local taxi driver, I helped him in the fields and also helped him repair his taxi (not by buying parts for it). And he was always there at 2 am to pick us up from the bus stop in Baan Si Da and drive us the 45 minute trip to the house and never once asked me for a fare. The only time he did ask anyone for money was when he asked the GF to send more money to help school, clothe and feed her 2 kids. Even after we broke up and he was in Pattaya at the same time as I was, he made sure to come and say hello to me.

The thing to remember is that it is rarely the family that is asking for the money but rather the girl herself, she is trying to see how far she can push or how gullible you are.

Either of these two can have my old body, anyone know their names?

They are both "pretty girls" working the expos.ummo.jpg:o I know :D

They don't build 'em like that up here in Buriram!

A pair of Katoeys IMO.....

Toddy not that many people upcountry work or own their own fields these days.

Your own circumstances may be sweet but cannot be applied en Masse.

My ex-g/f hit me up once for money. Her papa supposedly had an accident and needed money for the hospital bills. Told her I couldn't afford that much (100,000 baht). She never asked again.

On my next trip, I went to her village and met her family. Her papa was walking around with a cane, but from what and when I have no idea. Nobody mentioned money, everybody was real friendly. I was giving Joy a set amount of money every so often, and she was using it to pay the bills (bus fare, meals, taxis, admission fees, ect). Never asked for anything more from me.

Her family didn't have a buffalo, but did have a few rai of rice paddies. I went out to watch her mom, aunt and her best friend work the fields. They were laughing, as they had never seen a farang out there before.

Each night we would have a big communal meal, with various neighbours and village residents dropping in to see the "farang". Other than the seemingly endless supply of Thai whiskey, and the one guy who kept wanting me to eat live beetles, it was a great trip.