The Famous Yellow Ta Bian Ban - Or House Book

We wrote an article on thailawonline about the Yellow book. Not sure if I can post links here...here it is:

==================

The Thai house book which is also known as "Ta Bian Ban" is an official document which mentions the details of the individuals who resides in a house. It doesn't say who is the owner of the house, but shows the house "holder(s)" and "resident(s)".

Most of Thai people have a Ta bien ban as a proof of residence. It is an important book for Thais and it is needed by a person while transferring anything officially. For example, if anyone wants to register his ownership of a vehicle then this book will be very useful because it will be needed in the department of transport for the registration process and for transportation purposes as well. But in the case of foreigners if they do not posses this book then they can show the letter of their address proof provided by the local office of immigration. We call this document a "certificate of residence".

A Thai employer will also often ask the Ta bian ban of a future Thai employee. If you translate word by word Thai to English "Ta bian" means "registration" and "Ban" means "house". So, it's a "house registration book".

Thailand has 2 types of house registration books:

1) The blue Ta Bien Bahn (Thor.Ror.14) for Thai nationals*

tabianbanblue.jpg

Example of blue house book

* There is one exception, foreigners having permanent residency can be in a blue house book according to article 44 of the Central office registration rules (year 2535)

Click here to get an English translation of a typical page in a blue book.

2) The yellow Ta Bien Bahn (To.Ro.13) for foreigners.

tabian%20ban.jpg Example of Yellow Ta bien ban

The house book should not be mistakenly taken as a legal documentation pertaining to ownership. This document states the house "holder" and people "residing" in the property. It's done in accordance with the registration Act of 2534 (1991), and the modifications of this Law in 2551 (2008).

The application for this document is done individually at the local registration office, called Amphur (or Khet in Bangkok). Application of house books are mostly done by builders, developers or architects constructing your house. The price to get this book is not very high, but you have to go through certain procedures.

Even if there is a national regulation for obtaining the yellow house book, each district can have their own rules. You will have to show relevant proofs of identity, which may include pictures. Most Amphur will require a letter from your Embassy stating that you are residing in Thailand but some don't! So you should call the local administration office to ask them the documents required before making an application if you do it yourself.

For foreigners, this book can be used to get a Thai driving license or you want to purchase a car. You can use it while applying for an extension of visa. But it's not necessary and a certificate of immigrate can replace it.

Edited by Isaanlawyers

There is a piined thread here on Thaivisa - probably worth reposting there and letting this thread die.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Yellow-Tabie...hn-t156485.html

However your post, whilst very helpful, is not actually totally accurate.

As a Farang/Farang couple we have a blue house book and indeed the Chanott ti din (often called a Chanott, Chanote or Chanoot).

This is because we own a freehold Farang quota (49% of the saleable space in a condominium may be bought by Farangs) unit in a condominium. This gives us a % share of all the condominium's assets, including the land.

The blue book does not contain our names only the address, this may be because we are Farang. Our names however are on the all the critical Chanott ti din. The Chanott ti din is the critical document for a Farang who owns a condominium (along with the blue house book).

Edited by pkrv

pkrv, you are correct, you can get a blue housebook for your condo. However, as you state yourself, your names are not in there!

Hence you cannot use that blue book for example to register a car in your name.

The yellow book does contain your name and address, and as such can be used for most registration purposes (car, driver license, I even know of somebody who got waived he requirement to hold a work permit while getting a post paid AIS mobile phone account).

the information posted is incorrect.

the blue tambien baan is for permanent residents of Thailand. It is not restricted to only Thais. I have one as do many of my expatriate freinds who live here. I find it very useful.

There is a piined thread here on Thaivisa - probably worth reposting there and letting this thread die.

As a Farang/Farang couple we have a blue house book and indeed the Chanott ti din (often called a Chanott, Chanote or Chanoot).

This is because we own a freehold Farang quota (49% of the saleable space in a condominium may be bought by Farangs) unit in a condominium. This gives us a % share of all the condominium's assets, including the land.

The blue book does not contain our names only the address, this may be because we are Farang. Our names however are on the all the critical Chanott ti din. The Chanott ti din is the critical document for a Farang who owns a condominium (along with the blue house book).

Not quite correct if you are a resident of Thailand you have your own blue book with your own name in it.

Not quite correct if you are a resident of Thailand you have your own blue book with your own name in it.

We are not residents of Thailand we come over on just a tourist visa, perhaps here just 30 days a year. The blue book is really about the freehold ownership of land which you own as % share in a condominium.

So when I recently tried and succeeded in upgrading my Bangkok Bank passbook savings account (long story detailed here)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Opening-Bank...nd-t260738.html

for internet banking - Sure the blue book was of some use, but the bank wanted and photocopied the Chanott ti din, because this has our names on it - This photocopying is in itself a tricky task it's a very large piece of brown parchment paper slightly larger than American legal size.

As non residents we have a blue book.

It was interesting when questioned at the bank why we did not have a yellow book - I simply stated that Farangs could not own Land/Houses in Thailand, the yellow book is more for things like leasehold/company ownership that kind of thing.

Sorry I also said that the yellow book was not as strong/valuable as the blue book because the blue book and Chanott ti din show we own the freehold. This argument was accepted and as a tourist we now have internet banking at Bangkok Bank, or will when we fly back over at Christmas and pick up the PIN which is delivered by post!

Are you saying if you are resident or Thai your name is in the blue book for a condominium? And at some future date we may have to have our blue book updated for example for an OA O 1 year visa?

Edited by pkrv

pkrv, you are correct, you can get a blue housebook for your condo. However, as you state yourself, your names are not in there!

Hence you cannot use that blue book for example to register a car in your name.

The yellow book does contain your name and address, and as such can be used for most registration purposes (car, driver license, I even know of somebody who got waived he requirement to hold a work permit while getting a post paid AIS mobile phone account).

Hi Monty are you saying it is handy to get a yellow book as well :) ?

I'm a little confused with the posts from farangs who say they have a Blue Book. My confusion follows: Is Your "Name" Contained in the Blue Book or Only Your Residence Address? It sounds like only your residence is listed and not your name. If so, wihout your name being listed in the Blue Book it creates limatation on use as you have to show other documents to related your name to the Blue Book. No doubt it provides benefits; just asking for clarification if your "Name" is also listed in the Blue Book. Thanks.

Edited by Pib

I'm a little confused with the posts from farangs who say they have a Blue Book. My confusion follows: Is Your "Name" Contained in the Blue Book or Only Your Residence Address? It sounds like only your residence is listed and not your name. If so, wihout your name being listed in the Blue Book it creates limatation on use as you have to show other documents to related your name to the Blue Book. No doubt it provides benefits; just asking for clarification if your "Name" is also listed in the Blue Book. Thanks.

No problem I actually got it wrong the first time I looked at this - and there is no problem with this. We are looking at some very differnt issues:

House/Land ownership - I am no expert in this, there are other better posters - But I think if you are Farang or have a Thai partner then the yellow book is where you will end up. If you are Thai then it is a blue book (you can obviously own the freehold of the house/land its your country, Farangs can't)

Condominium - I can advise first hand - We are a Farang/Farang couple we own the freehold of our unit in the condominium - so blue book for us.

One thing I don't understand yet is if you are Thai does your name appear in the Blue book for a condominium? (as opposed to house/land?). For Farangs (definitly) the Chanott ti din is the core document, for a condominium.

Edited by pkrv

Very confusing here

Blue book: Thai National and Permanent Resident are allowed to be namely registered

As a owner you are entitled to have one but your name will not appear (PKRV can you confirm that our names are not in it? unless it has changed in the recent years)

Yellow book: All other Nationals owning a condo (as one is not allowed to own anything else). Go to the Ket, bring along your Chanote and two Thai witnesses to state that you stay there

The Blue book points at the Chief of the Household and it is irrelevant whether one owns or rents the placce

Very confusing here

Blue book: Thai National and Permanent Resident are allowed to be namely registered

As a owner you are entitled to have one but your name will not appear (PKRV can you confirm that our names are not in it? unless it has changed in the recent years)

Yellow book: All other Nationals owning a condo (as one is not allowed to own anything else). Go to the Ket, bring along your Chanote and two Thai witnesses to state that you stay there

The Blue book points at the Chief of the Household and it is irrelevant whether one owns or rents the placce

I only speak from a Farang owned condominium perspective thats it! It does not have our names in it.

We have our blue book - some odd things can happen in Thailand - BUT Farang/Thai partnership yellow book - Blue book for Farangs - condominiums only... formally Confirmed - names not in it Confirmed by Bangkok Bank Head office (when opening an account)

post-16669-1258565349_thumb.jpg

Edited by pkrv

Very confusing here

I have just realised are you renting/leasing?

The blue can only ever have Thai nationals inside, although you can own one as a foreigner, you cannot put your name inside. This is done with the yellow book

Sorry for this for condos only, and for Farangs only - let us be specific here - I can manover in Thailand with the core document the Chanott ti din, because this has our names on it - it's a very large piece of brown parchment paper slightly larger than American legal size, and is the true representation of our property in Thailand.

For Farang condo owners the Blue book is an asside it is the Chanott ti din,that counts. Can anyone confirm if Thais can put their name in the blue book for a condominium? Farangs can't.

Thanks for the clarifications.

If I'm reading above half dozen or so posts correctly, while a farang may have Blue Book due to a condo purchase, the farang's name "will not" appear in the Blue Book. Basically, the Blue Book is just confirming the address of the purchased residence and the farang will need to show other documents to related his name to the residence/Blue Book.

But if you are a farang and have a Yellow Book your name "will" appear in the book (which I can confirm as I have a Yellow Book).

Thanks again for the clarifying posts which confirmed a farang's name is "not" in the Blue Book which they get through a condo purchase.

This is correct PIB

To be more specific:

I own a condo( that is to answer pkrv who is actually saying the same)

1) I have a yellow book with my name in it (I CANNOT HAVE A BLUE BOOK IN MY NAME: this is actually why they came up with the yellow book)

2) My lifepartner is Thai: A blue book (on the same address) has been issued with my partner's name in it. The Blue book, again, is aimed at naming the household master and the dependants (THAI only)

This is correct PIB

To be more specific:

1) I have a yellow book with my name in it (I CANNOT HAVE A BLUE BOOK IN MY NAME: this is actually why they came up with the yellow book)

2) My lifepartner is Thai: A blue book (on the same address) has been issued with my partner's name in it. The Blue book, again, is aimed at naming the household master and the dependants (THAI only)

Thank you alyx - that was a very helpfull post :) .

Because we are a Farang/Farang relationship I did not know for certain what would happen with the blue book for a condo when a Thai national was a part of the purchase.

So to confirm:

If you are Farang or a Farang/Farang partnership and own a freehold condominium - Yes you will get a blue book but your name(s) is/are not in this - Your name(s) is/are on the Chanott ti din - and this can be used for bank accounts etc (we have tested this with Bangkok Banks head office)

If you are Thai or a Thai/Thai partnership and own a condominium your name(s) is/are in the blue book.

If you are a Farang/Thai partnership The Farang can have a yellow house book and the Thai a blue house book - both with the names on them. I assume in this case too the Chanott ti din is the core document because it will have both names on it.

I may consider requesting Juristic to see if it possible to also obtain us a yellow house book, but this is only for convienience. I think Beentheredonethat has gone down this route I will PM him and see if he can add anything.

Sorry for the confusion. We added one sentence to our article:

For the blue book:

* There is one exception, foreigners having permanent residency can be in a blue house book according to article 44 of the Central office registration rules (year 2535).

I'm trying to upload these rules in Thai (I haven't seen them in English) but I have Internet problems today.

You can google in Thai:

ระเบียบสำนักทะเบียนกลาง ว่าด้วยการจัดทำทะเบียนราษฎร

.ศ. ๒๕๓๕

correct your grammar and we might understand what you are talking about.

Only Thai nationals can go inside a 'blue' house or condo book

Yellow book is for foreigners

Foreigners with permanent residency have to go into the blue book as part of the issuance of their PR papers.

Foreigners without PR, go into the yellow book.

just to throw everyone off though, Arkady, one of the more respected memebers here when it comes to all things government recently stated (without explaining) that it is now possible for foreigners to go onto the blue book. Will be inteterested to see if he can expand on this issue at some point.

This is correct PIB

To be more specific:

Thank you alyx - that was a very helpfull post :) .

I may consider requesting Juristic to see if it possible to also obtain us a yellow house book, but this is only for convienience. I think Beentheredonethat has gone down this route I will PM him and see if he can add anything.

Hi pkrv, I agree to the comments by alyx whose experience seems very similar to to that of my own.

Regarding yellow tabien-baan, the Condo Juristic Person Office is unlikely to be able to assist. You will need to apply in person at your local District Office ("Khet", if you are in Bangkok). There is a pinned thread with details on how to apply.

Edited by mark5335

Sorry for the confusion. We added one sentence to our article:

For the blue book:

* There is one exception, foreigners having permanent residency can be in a blue house book according to article 44 of the Central office registration rules (year 2535).

I'm trying to upload these rules in Thai (I haven't seen them in English) but I have Internet problems today.

You can google in Thai:

ระเบียบสำนักทะเบียนกลาง ว่าด้วยการจัดทำทะเบียนราษฎร

.ศ. ๒๕๓๕

Thank you 'Isaanlawyers' for a very interesting thread - I too may have thrown in some confusion, but I think it is because we are an unusual case.

We are Farangs but are not resident, we are on a tourist visa but still have a blue book - our names are not in this book. I am guessing that the reason is that we are freeholders (you can be with a Farang quota condominium). However I suspect that some people scratched their heads wondering what type of book to give us :)

Given the nature of the company we bought our condo from I suspect they pulled out all the stops and argued for a blue book not a yellow book.

Edited by pkrv

When you buy a condo apartment, where do you get your Chanott ti din? Or your Blue Book, for that matter?

Good question - for us we bought off the plan so it was all dealt with.

However I do not have a clue as to the process if you buy in the secondary condominium/resale market. But there have been quite a few on TV who have :) .

Edited by pkrv

We are Farangs but are not resident, we are on a tourist visa but still have a blue book - our names are not in this book. I am guessing that the reason is that we are freeholders (you can be with a Farang quota condominium).
The reason is not specifically because you are freeholders or farang quota in a condo block. EVERY farang, irrespective of spouses nationality, visa type, leasehold of land, Usufruct on land, freehold of land under Thai partner, Limited Company ownership should receive the Blue Book when purchasing property, even a house, providing he has purchased the building (house) on the land himself.

Farang should then go on to register the building in his own farang name at the land office, he then legally owns the Blue Book as it is the building's registration document and should get passed on to future new owners. If Limited Company then Blue Book is 'normally' the companies property.

As said in Isaan Lawyers very helpful OP, farang can then get a yelow book with his name in, or if has PR go in the Blue Book.

If a brand new build from developer there's normally no names at all in the Blue Book, not even developers/builders, totally blank and it can quite happily stay that way until you sell on the building, or have Thai family/residents to put in it.

Burgernev

Apologies to OP as a bit off-topic from your useful Yellow Book thread.

We are Farangs but are not resident, we are on a tourist visa but still have a blue book - our names are not in this book. I am guessing that the reason is that we are freeholders (you can be with a Farang quota condominium).
The reason is not specifically because you are freeholders or farang quota in a condo block. EVERY farang, irrespective of spouses nationality, visa type, leasehold of land, Usufruct on land, freehold of land under Thai partner, Limited Company ownership should receive the Blue Book when purchasing property, even a house, providing he has purchased the building (house) on the land himself.

Farang should then go on to register the building in his own farang name at the land office, he then legally owns the Blue Book as it is the building's registration document and should get passed on to future new owners. If Limited Company then Blue Book is 'normally' the companies property.

As said in Isaan Lawyers very helpful OP, farang can then get a yelow book with his name in, or if has PR go in the Blue Book.

If a brand new build from developer there's normally no names at all in the Blue Book, not even developers/builders, totally blank and it can quite happily stay that way until you sell on the building, or have Thai family/residents to put in it.

Burgernev

Apologies to OP as a bit off-topic from your useful Yellow Book thread.

Burgernev - thank you for a very informative post, just one question, when you said "Farang should then go on to register the building in his own farang name at the land office" did you mean the Chanott ti din or the yellow book?

Burgernev - thank you for a very informative post, just one question, when you said "Farang should then go on to register the building in his own farang name at the land office" did you mean the Chanott ti din or the yellow book?
Hi pkrv, I should have been clearer with reference to registering the building at the land office, I was referring to houses (and shops, restaurants, bars etc) and not condos which is a different process. Farangs should always look to getting the house (separate from the land) registered in their own individual name where applicable, ie: where they purchased it with their own funds. It's a separate process to registering the freehold/leasehold of the land title (Chanote or other), you pay the property taxes and get a certificate of ownership in Thai. There isn't an official title deed for houses.

You're basically separating the building from the land in respect of ownership, which depending on your marriage circumstances to a Thai, can establish the original purchase cost of the house as your personal property in event divorce settlements.

You can obtain and be named in the Yellow Book whether you have registered the building in your name or not.

Cheers,

Burgernev

Edited by Burgernev

Burgernev - thanks again for the clarification - You know we as Farangs are expected to come to grips with this stuff :D . So I think you can come at this from the following angles :)

Your position could be your

Single Thai

Thai/Thai partnership

Single Farang

Farang/Farang partnership

Thai/Farang partnership

<Edit ohh god I forgot Farang Permanent Residents>

and additionally you can be purchasing

For a Thai or Thai/Thai partnership - House and Land

For a Farang or Farang/Thai partnership a House (physically) Land separately

As a Thai or a Thai/Thai parnership a Thai quota Condominium

As a Thai a Farang quota Condominium (I think)

As a Farang or Farang/Farang partnership a Thai quota condominium under company rules

As a Farang or Farang/Farang partnership a Farang quota condominium

<edit No idea what a Farang Permanent Resident can or cannot do>

Clear as mud :D . I mean a Thai who would not be interested in this stuff, is just going to wonder what planet we are from!

But for a Farang/Farang partnership with a Farang quota feehold condominium I have come to the conclusion that the Blue book without your names in it and the Chanott ti din (quite frankly with both your names on it :D ) is what you should have. The yellow book, with your names in it, is a nice to have.

Edited by pkrv