Downloaded My First Torrent...

bkkmick

That's great Jingthing. Worked a treat!

Now I just need to sort out a player. Tried Windows media which played the video but had a pop up error message. Then I tried the DivX player but there's no sound. I have to download something else apparently.

All a learning curve. Thanks for the help.

Most often RAR torrent files are fakes.

I use a popular piratey b*y kind of site where there is a lot of peer review of "documentaries" up for download. Very little fakes or bad files get by in this place. Just look for the piratey baaay kind of place.

Jdietz great stuff. As you said, it noticed that a codec was missing and went off to find a download for it. I installed the codec and I have sound now.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....................

Never, ever "download a codec". Never. Ever. 99% (or even 100% - let's see how it works for you) these are viruses / trojans. They get you to download "a codec" but it's not a codec, it's actually a trojan that will now live on your system, disable your AV program, and proceed to use your computer for some russian mafia activity.

Use VLC to show movies. It will play everything. What it doesn't play is a virus.

Edited by nikster

It's time to install some free anti virus (AV) program now.

Even if you already have an AV program - like I said this has most likely been disabled by the trojan. I don't want to sound paranoid but ... well if you download a codec, I am paranoid!

Anyway, uninstall your existing AV program. Install a new AV program of your choice, and let it run. The point is that the virus/trojan can disable your existing program, but can't do anything about you installing and running a new one. So the new one will find the malware and hopefully be able to remove it.

Edited by nikster

It's time to install some free anti virus (AV) program now.

Even if you already have an AV program - like I said this has most likely been disabled by the trojan. I don't want to sound paranoid but ... well if you download a codec, I am paranoid!

Anyway, uninstall your existing AV program. Install a new AV program of your choice, and let it run. The point is that the virus/trojan can disable your existing program, but can't do anything about you installing and running a new one. So the new one will find the malware and hopefully be able to remove it.

Are you on drugs? You have been to a doctor, at some stage previously, and are extremely parinoid so I have used your level of generalization and come to my own wildly baseless conclusion.

First point is that Microsoft and Apple are but two providers of codecs so using your logic nothing from theses companies should be trusted.

There are more legitimate and safe sources for codecs than there are viral but you have to use some common sense.

Second point is regarding the choice of "free" AV program. This is the kind of statement that has kept me busy removing viruses from client machines for years.

Jdietz great stuff. As you said, it noticed that a codec was missing and went off to find a download for it. I installed the codec and I have sound now.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....................

Never, ever "download a codec". Never. Ever. 99% (or even 100% - let's see how it works for you) these are viruses / trojans. They get you to download "a codec" but it's not a codec, it's actually a trojan that will now live on your system, disable your AV program, and proceed to use your computer for some russian mafia activity.

Use VLC to show movies. It will play everything. What it doesn't play is a virus.

You work for Microsoft? sounds like it with the FUD you're spreading. Without the right codecs VLC won't play some movies as well, though, like GOM, it comes packed with a lot of them built in.

If you would read before you start spreading fear amongst newbies, you'd notice that GOM player identified the missing codec, and consulted its own web database to find the right one to download. These are as safe as they get.

Of course that doesn't mean you don't need to keep your virus scanner and operating system updated, but this isn't really an infection vector.

If you are new to torrent some tips to help you

1. DON"T download .rar files

2 CHECK the files in the torrent before you download the .torrent

3.Don't download the first torrent you see . Check if there are any other related torrents with more Peers . Most sites let you sort the torrent list based on the number of leechers or seeders.

4. Most fake torrents have more Seeders than leechers ex: 3256 seeders : 80 leechers

5. Download and install Peer Guardian to block black listed ip . Link

6. Use your Common Sense and you will be fine .

Edited by shriah

Ive got to say Ive never had a problem with rar files on most private sites the files a mostly rar.

get winrar download for free and also use vlc.

once you have downloaded the file right click on it open the containing folder right click on one of the rar files click extract here once done right click open with vlc and away you go.

if your downloading from public sites like bt junkie,iso hunt just check the comments, people will let you know if its a good file or not.

Ive got to say Ive never had a problem with rar files on most private sites the files a mostly rar.

get winrar download for free and also use vlc.

once you have downloaded the file right click on it open the containing folder right click on one of the rar files click extract here once done right click open with vlc and away you go.

if your downloading from public sites like bt junkie,iso hunt just check the comments, people will let you know if its a good file or not.

agree 100% with all of the above i use a private tracker well worth the money. max DL with 4 or 5 seeds.

What a load of tosh..

VLC plays RealVideo and qt format vids does it ?? or 3GP ?? Depending on encode it can stuff up MOV files too if you dont have the right codecs.

Thats nothing to say of DRM controlled WMV, WMVHD, and WMAPro multichannel..

VLC can .mov, .rvm , .3gp I have tested all these formats in VLC. It certainly doesn't play all formats of RealVideo but no one use RealVideo anymore except to encode Japanese anime :) . If you need to play .rvm and VLC doesn't play nice with a .rm file get real Alternative codec ( KLM codec includes this ) . Vlc is the only player that plays most of the commonly used video formats (except GOM player ) . With KLM codec even Windows Media Player can play all the formats .

In public tracker sites .rar files are used to hide the content of the files so its very easy to deliver infected files, its always safe to avoid downloading rar files .

Splitting a file into 7 or 8 parts by using rar files was mainly used for downloading a large movie or software from a slow connection from a upload site like rapidshare or Megaupload . The limit for a file in Rapidshare is 100 MB . But its not needed in bittorrent so avoid rar in bittorent unless you know what you are downloading (Check the Seeds and Leedchers and always Check the comment to see the feedback ) .

Edited by shriah

If you are new to torrent some tips to help you

1. DON"T download .rar files

2 CHECK the files in the torrent before you download the .torrent

3.Don't download the first torrent you see . Check if there are any other related torrents with more Peers . Most sites let you sort the torrent list based on the number of leechers or seeders.

4. Most fake torrents have more Seeders than leechers ex: 3256 seeders : 80 leechers

5. Download and install Peer Guardian to block black listed ip . Link

6. Use your Common Sense and you will be fine .

I don't share the worry about .rar files, the few movies i got that way were the real deal.

Not sure why they bother with the format though..

It may depend a lot on what you download and from where. Piratebay and cinemageddon have yet to fail me.