Thai International Why Not Invest?

RubbaJohnny

New chair heads up and Thai investors wont touch let alone passengers

He hopes itl'l be in top 3 no not after Air Asia and Nok the real top 3 likes of Singapore etc :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8363476.stm

In a surprisingly candid analysis it reveals an insight into local business practice for the blind and alcoholically challenged who often ask why things are as they are in this the best of all free places.

We foreigners who have been in Thailand since the late 80s already know about such problems. Any government owned and managed listed company will have similar problems, only a matter of degree. Expect those in 3rd world countries to fair worse.

On the one hand it seems to be quite reasonable if you own the biggest chunk of a company you would like to have influence.

On the other hand state companies have a tendency to work so very well, although there are and were state companies that did better before as after privatisation..

That said, the "market" and the "lights" leading companies don't do so very well either, don't they.

Various airlines in the private sector are showing that the management is not fulfiliing the promises they did.

And what about banks, I seem to remember that the current economic crisis can be laid on their doorsteps.

So, I think that all the ailments of state businesses can be found in private businesses too.

Can we maybe conclude that most managers are not really suited for the job.

A good education is not a guarantee for being a good manager.

Favouritism is rife in most businesses, just like bribery, just like people raised in positions very much above their capabilities.

In short, in general, I am most certainly not raising my hat for nearly all business managers.

Edited by hansnl

We foreigners who have been in Thailand since the late 80s already know about such problems. Any government owned and managed listed company will have similar problems, only a matter of degree. Expect those in 3rd world countries to fair worse.

Indeed. Just a matter of terrible business practices.