Shopping For A Pda

dustybooky

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

Where is the best place to shop for a PDA in Chiang Mai? By that I mean where can I hope to find the widest variety and best prices. Hopefully the answers will point to a single location :)

My second question is for those who know something about PDAs. Is there a particular brand that you would recommend. BTW, this is for a beginner who will only be using it for basic spreadsheet and calculator stuff...high end all the beels and whistles are not required. I'm thinking something that runs Windows.

Thanks

DB

You won't be doing spreadsheets of any complexity on a PDA. I also think Windows Mobile is crap. I'd either get a small netbook (mini laptop) with Windows XP or 7, or get an iPod Touch if it needs to be super small.

Hi again,

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. Is Windows 6.1 also bad? That's what I've seen on various smart phones so far. I was thinkin PDA instead of smartphone because were have more mobiles than we know what to do with. Gee, MS; sure looks like 7 needs to be a winner for them. Also, I was thinking PDA because of mobility, she sometimes need to gather data while on the move, then has to re-write it down again elsewhere.

No, the spreadsheets would not be very complex just customers, sellers names and their dealings with my wife who runs a shop. She runs a personalized sort of service and, for the moment at least, has a booklet for each customer who pays on a monthly basis, too cumbersome, too much writing, paper etc..

About iPod touch, would the data be transferable, compatible with a PC Excel prog (or Open Office) from there?

Thanks

airport mall has a number of shops on the 3rd floor what may be worth a look

I have Windows 6.1 mobile phone. Crap as a mobile and only use it as a PDA.

At the time I was unable to buy a PDA that was not also a mobile but I do find it useful to have a SIM card in so as I can send receive emails and browse the web while on the go.

For PDA use windows has the same benefits as in the desktop world of many 3rd party applications. eBook readers, rInternet radio players, Internet browsers organiers, Thai / English dictionary etc, and it seamlessly integrates with the desktop for data backup.

Having said all that I much preffered my earlier palm models which were much more user friendly, until they lost the plot.

For an idea of software available for PDA's and windows mobile phones see http://www.handango.com/homepage/Homepage.jsp

You won't be doing spreadsheets of any complexity on a PDA. I also think Windows Mobile is crap. I'd either get a small netbook (mini laptop) with Windows XP or 7, or get an iPod Touch if it needs to be super small.

Hi again,

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. Is Windows 6.1 also bad? That's what I've seen on various smart phones so far. I was thinkin PDA instead of smartphone because were have more mobiles than we know what to do with. Gee, MS; sure looks like 7 needs to be a winner for them. Also, I was thinking PDA because of mobility, she sometimes need to gather data while on the move, then has to re-write it down again elsewhere.

No, the spreadsheets would not be very complex just customers, sellers names and their dealings with my wife who runs a shop. She runs a personalized sort of service and, for the moment at least, has a booklet for each customer who pays on a monthly basis, too cumbersome, too much writing, paper etc..

I see. Yes, windows 6.1 also sucks bowling balls through a garden hose. Reading all of the above: Get a netbook. They're really small (easily fit into a ladies hand bag), light but still run regular software, so it's easy to run Word and Excel.

Plus they're no more expensive than a Windows mobile PDA. (Very few actually are strict PDA's; they'd typically have a phone built in as well, which is good because you need that part for your internet connection when there's no WiFi)

Hi again,

I see. Yes, windows 6.1 also sucks bowling balls through a garden hose. Reading all of the above: Get a netbook. They're really small (easily fit into a ladies hand bag), light but still run regular software, so it's easy to run Word and Excel.

Plus they're no more expensive than a Windows mobile PDA. (Very few actually are strict PDA's; they'd typically have a phone built in as well, which is good because you need that part for your internet connection when there's no WiFi)

Hi

I think Winnie The Khwai's and thaimite's last comments have convinced me. PDA don't seem to be there just yet.

Netbook are small, functional. Thanks to all for the feedback, I can do the Airport Mall after my next Imm. visit.

DB

I bought an HP Ipaq Business Navigator at the Chi Chang shop, Airport Plaza last year and I am quite happy with the device as well as with the service of Chi Chang. It runs on Windows Mobile 6.1, has 8 GB memory, a built-in GPS, bluetooth and WiFi.

Generally, the OS and the software of a Pocket PC is more limited and more brittle than that of their big brothers. If you are technically minded person this should be no obstacle, however. Once you get everything configured, it's smooth sailing. Just don't forget to backup.

I am using the device mainly as a phone, news reader, MP3 player, alarm clock, and pocket calculator. Occasionally I use the GPS navigation function, and sometimes I use it to show videos and photos around. My 4-year-old daughter likes to play the games on it. I hardly use the built-in camera.

I also have a Thinkpad laptop. The real advantage of a Pocket PC is -as the name says- that it fits into your pocket and that you can take it anywhere, whereas you would think twice about taking a laptop with you. This has proven useful for me in many situations.

I think it was worth the 18k it costed back then. If you are less inclined to fiddle with software then an iPhone might be a better choice. It's less flexible and less powerful, but it works right out of the box.

Cheers, CMX

I bought an HP Ipaq Business Navigator at the Chi Chang shop, Airport Plaza last year and I am quite happy with the device as well as with the service of Chi Chang. It runs on Windows Mobile 6.1, has 8 GB memory, a built-in GPS, bluetooth and WiFi.

That's interesting. Are you able to run navigation software for Thailand on it?