Nong Khai To Vientiane On International Bus

Guys,

Doing a visa run up to Vientiane then elsewhere in Laos for a short break with my gf.

If taking the international bus from Nong Khai to Vientiane I've read that I need to get a Laos visa before travelling as the bus doesn't stop at the border long enough to facilitate doing the visa on arrival thing, but what is the situation for my Thai gf? Does she also need a Laos visa before taking this bus? From what I've read she can't just get the border pass because we're travelling further than Vientiane, so what are her options?

Many thanks for any help.

Unless it has changed, farang need to have the visa before getting on the bus as it does not want to wait for what can be an hour or so at the Lao immigration. Thai girls need to get some paperwork before going over with their ID card so assume she will have the same problem as this usually takes 30 minutes at one of the offices near the bridge on the Thai side, not sure if she can go over on her passport without doing anything beforehand.

Unless it has changed, farang need to have the visa before getting on the bus as it does not want to wait for what can be an hour or so at the Lao immigration. Thai girls need to get some paperwork before going over with their ID card so assume she will have the same problem as this usually takes 30 minutes at one of the offices near the bridge on the Thai side, not sure if she can go over on her passport without doing anything beforehand.

Many thx Greg, this is what I suspected. Anyway, I've just been to the Laos embassy and got the Laos visa for myself. I explained the situation to a member of staff there and he said she doesn't need a visa, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when we get to Nong Khai.

My wife (thai) and I caught the international bus from Khon Kaen september 2008.I had to show visa before I could buy ticket for myself. Wife only had to produce her passport. Went through separate queue's at immigration before getting back on the bus to vientienne. There were quite afew Lao and Thai on the bus as well as farang.

As long as she has a passport she will be fine.

If she doesn't have a passport she will need a pass which involves a photo and could only be done during office hours, so we had to wait in Nong Khai until the next day. The pass only allows for a 3 day (2 night) visit so it's no good if you plan to stay longer.