Karaoke bar girl confusion

Eastender

I (male) recently went to a karaoke bar with a female friend, both farang.  Unbeknown to us this was really a place for picking up girls, although it was in a way out soi in the suburbs of BKK, and connected to my quite plush appartment block.

A girl (very drunk) sat with us, and we chatted and bought her a beer or two.  She was all over us both but we ignored her advances.

When it was time to go we had a huge bill.  We questioned one amount (around 450 Bhat) and was told it was drinks for the girl.  Our Thai wasn't good enough to question this further, and nobody their spoke much English.

When we left the girl tried to come back with us, and was mainly hitting on my female friend.  Another time we might have been up for it, but we had to repeatedly say no then push her away.

So now I'm wondering if we had unknowingly paid a bar fine to take her out of the bar, and that was part of the large bill?  

And I'm also wondering, would buying the girl a drink perhaps be a signal that we wanted her for the night?

OK, I know the system with girly bars in touristy areas but this was a Thai karaoke bar so is the system different?

Any thoughts would be appreciated - I want to know what's happening if I go back to this bar again.

To put it in simple terms, without making any inferences that you are perhaps a little naive - what happened to you was nothing out of the ordinary.

You were in a place of entertainment - it does NOT need to be a flashing lights, touting pimps, shiny disco balls, slippery poles type of establishment in order for it to have girls who are there for the soul purpose of entertaining the punters.

She sits with you, and whether you buy her drinks or not, you are going to (in some way or other), pay for her time.  You can call the 450 baht whatever you like, however it reeks to me of 3-4 lady drinks or the equivalent there of.

The fact that she wanted to come home with either you or your friend simply suggests that the young lady was not confined to keeping you company ONLY while you were in the bar, if you get my drift.

And to echo Bulldog's rather subtle, but well-put, suggestion - if you're overly worried about being hit up for 450 baht (as farangs in a local pub), then best re-think your next outing, or make it plain and clear that you wish to be left alone to the company of your farang friend only.

Best of luck..

I defend the hapless:

"We questioned one amount (around 450 Bhat) and was told it was drinks for the girl..."

was the wording. Wouldn't this mean the bill consisted of many more amounts?

Anyway, take it easy, I do not know where this "suburbs of BKK" are or your "quite plush appartment block".

Guess would be Rama 9, Ramintra or Rajada. Many ladies joining you in the more local places live from the drinks you buy that are comparatively high enough so a barfine is not existant.

450 Baht for a few drinks..including yours and your girl's..not an expensive way to spend an evening...i would even go as far as saying..a CHEAP way to spend an evening...you have to remember..a drink( hard liquor) will cost you and up to about 80-120 baht..so a few of these and yeah bud..you just racked up around 400 bath pretty quickly.I wouldn't worry about too much...at least now(i assume) you are aware of what can happen and it will not happen again...hehe..unless you want it too right....?? we are all human...happy stay in the land of smile

Peace out :cool:

Her Tits are Too Big!!

It's cos she is bending over, thus making them seem larger. Sure the girl has an ounce of bounce, but they aint the saggy pair of pasties that you usualy see at a UK carboot sale perusing 4th hand stuff...

I still want one of these tho.

./P

then please, pray tell where you have came across (no pun intended) such aformentioned pasties? :o

#### it !! Ummmm come on brain think of something quick, Yes now i remember, I read it somewhere like FHM or Loaded where they had various shapes and sizes of mams and named them (of course with a great deal of love and affection)

Names like,

Full Milk bottles,Spaniels Ears,Fried eggs,Dinner plate nips etcetera.    ???

Phew...

Getting back to the point at hand

When you go out learn two goldn words

chai /mai chai   these are Yes / No in Thai

Would also learn

Tao rai .................How much

ra ka tao rai? ..........How Much is that

Lod ra ka noi dai mai krap ......To Much better price please

raka tam sut tao ri ..............What is the best price

But for 450 baht you really didn't do so bad.

1st rule of life in Thailand, if a girl is nice to you at a bar, there is something in it for her.

If shes a nice girl she will probably not come any where near you,

Now about your girlfriend/wife, she is most not sexually interested in her, but it is her skin the facinates Thai girls white skin.

they will look at them selves and say dirty and look at her and say beautiful.

Any one knows get the lady and impress her thee man does what he told and he has the money

450 a cheap thrill and remember it as an experience

and as murphy always does go back tonight and i bet it will cost three times as much

Its always the way, when you don't want it it there

When you do    ?

Original poster here;

It's a shame that some people don't properly read the post before replying.  450 Baht was just part of the bill.  I actually paid 1200 for 4 small beer singhs plus another two for the girl.

I'll quote myself below.

"When it was time to go we had a huge bill.  We questioned one amount (around 450 Bhat) and was told it was drinks for the girl."

No one has yet answered my question so if anyone has anything more to add I'd be grateful.  The price of drinks in this place was, I believe 130 Baht a small bottle (unfortunately I asked at the end of the evening).  Now I have sat and had drinks many a time in various girly bar joints and have never ever (knowingly) been charged any more than the price of the drinks for myself, and the girl, if I've bought her one.

So can anyone add any sensible replies?

No one has yet answered my question ....... shame that some people don't properly read the post before replying........

So can anyone add any sensible replies?

No-one has answered your question?  Actually, in your original post there were 3 distinct questions - not all limited to the specific one about whether you had been ripped off or not.

Let me remind you that you also asked:

would buying the girl a drink perhaps be a signal that we wanted her for the night?

Do you think perhaps that some of us might have taken this into context in our replies?  Having now come back and say you've "had many a drink" in many a girly bar - I kind of figure that you probably knew the answer to the above question in the beginning.

In future, when you post a question, perhaps stick to one specific point if you don't want the rest of us to give our "insensible" replies.

Let us know how it goes on your return visit at least.

:cool:

So your bill was 130 x 4 beers = 520.

450 for lady's drinks

Total 970. You paid 1200 leaves a balance of 230.

Or was it 6 beers, (450 looks to me like 3 lady's drinks)

then you come to 1230.00.

As I said yesterday, "I do not know where this "suburbs of BKK" are or your "quite plush appartment block"."

As said, Rama 9, Rajada, Ramintra have different rules and usually not many foreigners end up there. May be minimum consumption 3 drinks per person which should incl. use of the microphone. In Thai they have menus detailing the system....

The others are right, go back and check it (her) out.

On the serious side

During my rounds of Bangkok bars

(for research only)

I have found that many, charge more for the girls drinks than your on

This is so thet the girls gets a bigger split of the money, some to her some to the bar,

130 baht is not a high price to pay for a girls drink

The givaway is you'll find the highger the price for the girls drink the friendlier she will be to you, and gee its only baht any way

................................................................................

I do not drink, I do not smoke and I do no go with bar girls

My only problem is a lie a little

I (male) recently went to a karaoke bar with a female friend, both farang.  Unbeknown to us this was really a place for picking up girls, although it was in a way out soi in the suburbs of BKK, and connected to my quite plush appartment block.

A girl (very drunk) sat with us, and we chatted and bought her a beer or two.  She was all over us both but we ignored her advances.

When it was time to go we had a huge bill.  We questioned one amount (around 450 Bhat) and was told it was drinks for the girl.  Our Thai wasn't good enough to question this further, and nobody their spoke much English.

When we left the girl tried to come back with us, and was mainly hitting on my female friend.  Another time we might have been up for it, but we had to repeatedly say no then push her away.

So now I'm wondering if we had unknowingly paid a bar fine to take her out of the bar, and that was part of the large bill?  

And I'm also wondering, would buying the girl a drink perhaps be a signal that we wanted her for the night?

OK, I know the system with girly bars in touristy areas but this was a Thai karaoke bar so is the system different?

Any thoughts would be appreciated - I want to know what's happening if I go back to this bar again.

This is what I get after reading your post again.

You have purchased 4 small beer bottles and given 2 of them to the already Drunken Girl and enjoyed chatting with her. If she is conscious enough to Chat with you two, you'll should have asked her in English to speak on behalf of you and asked for any clarification of the Bill.  [wonder why you did not do that?]

Paying 1,200 for some time in a Karoke Bar and enjoying only 2 Bottles of Beer; I wonder what you two did and why you two went to such a place to Drink 1 Bottle of small Beer each.

Obviously, the Bar will not expect you to just sit and chat by drinking 1 Beer and eating some snacks. I think 7Eleven would have been a better place.  

If you want to know what will happen if you go to the same place again is difficult to predict.

I have gone to places like this in Ladprao, Ram Intra area, as I am not into the big time bar seen.  But all the time, we pay well over 1,500 bht [for 2 people] for the Food [Thai] and Beer we order. I think it is a very reasonable and cheap.

:cool:

Me again.  Just to answer some of your questions.  This place was located on a small soi, off of soi Mahathai, between Ramkamhaeng and Ladprao out towards Bangkapi.  It surprised me as this is a student residence area and well hidden away.

Quote myself;

would buying the girl a drink perhaps be a signal that we wanted her for the night?

And the reply;

Do you think perhaps that some of us might have taken this into context in our replies?  Having now come back and say you've "had many a drink" in many a girly bar - I kind of figure that you probably knew the answer to the above question in the beginning.

My reply;

I've spent 2 years in BKK, and have on many occasion gone with my farang girlfriend to girly bars to sit, drink and talk and buy the girls the odd drink and have never been charged any additional amount for this, (besides ours and her drinks of course), or been charged a bar fine, or had the girl try to follow us out of the bar.  That's why I'm wondering if it's perhaps a different system in Karaoke bars and hence the original post.

I'm still not sure if they have a 'bar fine ' system in Karaoke bars.  If anyone knows then please reply?  I can appreciate they may jack up the price of the girl's drinks so that may be the obvious explanation.

Quote.

Paying 1,200 for some time in a Karoke Bar and enjoying only 2 Bottles of Beer; I wonder what you two did and why you two went to such a place to Drink 1 Bottle of small Beer each.

Obviously, the Bar will not expect you to just sit and chat by drinking 1 Beer and eating some snacks. I think 7Eleven would have been a better place.  

Reply;

We drank a couple of bottles each (as we were already a bit pissed from bottles we'd bought in the 7-11) and went there to see what the place was like.  O.K. with you?

Somebody also asked why I didn't question the bill with the girl I'd been chatting to.  Well she spoke very little English, apart from 'buy me a drink' and 'what your room number', and was probably too pissed to read it.

Yes, if I go again, which I'll probably end up doing sone time when I'm pissed and my resistance is low, I'll obviously question the price of every drink.  That may also result in them charging less.

Thanks.

Estender me old mucker.

The only question I can see , and the one you re-iterate , is whether there is a bar fine system in Karaoke bars?

Having visited several hundred over my 18years experience living in and visiting Los , I would say " No".

However as this is Thailand , you can never say never.

I have seen girls leave , albeit subtely , with customers , Thai and Farang. I believe this to be a seperate transaction , not included in the drinks bill.

Years ago in a karaoke bar in Nakhon Sawan , as a 21 year old studmuffin , I bought a few beers for a nice young lady who sang in my ear and gave me the odd peck on my cheek.

When it came time to leave, I asked if I could pay the bar for her? I was told in no uncertain terms that " I no go with man!"

So  , fair enough I thought , I paid for the drinks , hers and mine.

Upon leaving the establishment , there she was waiting outside for me , freeman hardy willis!

But those were the days when I looked like Johnny Depp.

:o  :D  B)