Personal Web Site Hosting In Cm?

ChiangMaiFun

I seek a reliable hosting company for 5 small personal sites - fed up with London mucking things up and prefer a local company if I can find one!

Are they dynamic sites or static sites? Also, how much do you want to spend?

If the latter, you can't really go wrong with:

• Total Choice Hosting
  • Go Daddy
  • Big Blue Host
  • 3iX Hosting
  • Reseller Zoom
  • HostGator

to name but a few. They're not local, but then when it comes to hosting, what does local mean? I don't think any hosting company (or outfit) has a walk-in office for someone to complain to. And anyway, most servers for most companies are hosted in the USA no matter where the hosting company is located.

Good luck, but try not to go with the cheapest of the cheap if it's important that your sites need to be online more often than not.

Aitch

I realise that you are asking for information on local hosting services but if you expect people outside of Thailand to access your site then it does not really make sense to host on a Thai server sitting on the local infrastructure.

Hostgator gets a second vote from me; from less than US$5 per month you can get hosting, final price obviously depending on your requirements. I've been with them for probably a couple of years now, good service and communicatons.

Hostgator.com

Alternatively, take a look at Google via a search for "Google hosting" or "Google Page Creator". The Google solution is free and with a little thought can be pretty effective for smaller, less complex sites.

JxP

To be honest i was wondering why you really need to find local hosting.

I recommend servage.net, which I have used for 4-5 years now with no real issue. Any minor issues were cleared up quickly via their online customer help service. Not local of course, but passing it on in case you are interested in taking a look.

They're not local, but then when it comes to hosting, what does local mean? I don't think any hosting company (or outfit) has a walk-in office for someone to complain to.

We do.

Depending on where most of your users come from you'd make a decision on where to host the site. Regardless though, you could still walk into the office and complain. :) (Or praise, as it may be. The nature of hosting however is must be said is that you rarely hear from people during the 99.97 percent of the time the site is up. :D )

EDIT: Though, for a 'small, personal site' I would do as suggested above and just go to Totalchoicehosting.com or one of the others. Very easy, very cheap and hosted in the USA. It's when you want other stuff like web design, application development and so on that you would benefit from a local office to walk into and talk about things.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

They're not local, but then when it comes to hosting, what does local mean? I don't think any hosting company (or outfit) has a walk-in office for someone to complain to.

We do.

And who may i ask are 'we'?

One of my sites was migrated to a new company earlier this year and not only was there a lot of lost data, but it was a total cock-up which took months to resolve. The site i'm talking about is database driven and fairly dynamic. Are you a local hosting company with access to local servers or are you a reseller who sets up domains on servers in the USA?

I currently pay $200 a year for this particular shared hosting account, and it's up for renewal in a couple of months. Can you give me a link your site WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks in advance

Aitch

Thanks for all the info... I only wanted local as it would be useful to walk in with my laptop and discuss any upload issues with Dreamweaver or Filezilla... but it is not crucial I .

I tried to contact a comapny called 'Chiang Mai Hosting' but they do not answer email or phones so not exactly confidence boosting!

I think I'll go with a farangland based hosting company.

I'd love to find a local company who could tinker and improve my sites though... not looking for construction but input on a basic established site etc. I'm sure I've made a meal out of things that could be done much more simply...

Thanks for all the info... I only wanted local as it would be useful to walk in with my laptop and discuss any upload issues with Dreamweaver or Filezilla... but it is not crucial I .

I tried to contact a comapny called 'Chiang Mai Hosting' but they do not answer email or phones so not exactly confidence boosting!

I'd love to find a local company who could tinker and improve my sites though... not looking for construction but input on a basic established site etc. I'm sure I've made a meal out of things that could be done much more simply...

I'm no web developer ChiangMaiFun, but i have built a lot of sites for myself, many of which work very well. I know a thing or 2 about page layout, site structure, SEO (both on page and off), and all the rest of it.

Send me your URL if you like, and i'll give it a quick once over for you. Free, of course :D Might take a few days though :)

Aitch

I'm no web developer ChiangMaiFun, but i have built a lot of sites for myself, many of which work very well. I know a thing or 2 about page layout, site structure, SEO (both on page and off), and all the rest of it.

Send me your URL if you like, and i'll give it a quick once over for you. Free, of course :D Might take a few days though :)

Aitch

Ditto.

JxP