Constructive Criticism For Lavender Lanna

Sansai Sam

Sunday morning I had lunch with a group of friends and afterwards I suggested we visit Lavender Lanna for a foot massage. We arrived just before three in the afternoon and were told that the masseurs would be right down as they were lounging poolside at a party. When they arrived they stood behind a glass wall and we were asked to choose. After choosing we went into the "Foot Massage Room". The room was very cold so we asked that the temperature be lowered. There were four massage chairs in the room and two were broken and did not recline. Since there were three of us I accepted a broken chair. Even though 1/3 of the light bulbs on the ceiling were burned out the room was too bright so we turned half the lights off. The masseurs did not wash our feet before or after the massage. They used what felt like vaseline mixed with eucalyptus. About ten minutes after we started a fourth friend turned up to join us. He chose his masseur and took the other broken chair. Although he started ten minutes after us he somehow was finished ten minutes before us. Not a good start for this new venue. At 250 baht per hour for untrained and uncertified massage they definately need improvement. All the while we tried to relax there was a katoey yelling in the salon outside. These are simple fixes and I hope they take heed. Three of us are in hospitality and we were quite put off by the experience. I wish them no ill will but they need to get it together.

If you get a private room in most straight massage parlors here, there is a very good chance that the woman will come on to you, but that will just not happen in a room for more than one person. I was wondering if the situation is the same in a gay parlor or if a straight guy might end up getting unwanted advances even in a dorm type room.

Most men give better massages than women because they are stronger, but straight guys are not sure what to expect in a massage parlor that usually caters to gay men.

How do they work in this regard?

Edited by Ulysses G.

If you get a private room in most straight massage parlors here, there is a very good chance that the woman will come on to you, but that will just not happen in a room for more than one person. I was wondering if the situation is the same in a gay parlor or if a straight guy might end up getting unwanted advances even in a dorm type room.

Most men give better massages than women because they are stronger, but straight guys are not sure what to expect in a massage parlor that usually caters to gay men.

How do they work in this regard?

A foot massage in a public room would not be sexual. Otherwise, if you aren't gay I wouldn't recommend a specifically gay massage venue to non-gays. They are almost all about squeezing out the big and I do mean big tips, wink wink nod nod, and if you made it clear you didn't want that, they would generally be quite unhappy.

Well UG is right to a certain extent. Gay men have much fewer constraints for getting busy than straight men, because we all know what men want, and gay men are men so there is not so much blockage. On the other hand, this being Thailand, the restraints are quite similar. They can be summed up in three letters -- ATM.

BTW, that new hotel, it sounds like they really do need to get it together. First impressions are usually last impressions when there are many other choices.

Edited by Jingthing

My girlfriend at the time loved to go to a dance club almost across the street from Hamburger Mary's that was very popular and a gay Cowboy bar on Polk Street. Those are the only gay clubs I can remember spending much time in, but the food near the Castro and on Polk street was really good and the Castro Theatre was fun.

The only bar I can remember near Hamburger Mary's was the Eagle. Tha bar on Polk was probably the Cinch. I was the host at the PS Restaurant in the late 70's and the Castro Theater is still alot of fun. Somebody send out a search party. We've wandered so far we might be lost forever.

The Cinch is correct, but the Eagle does not ring a bell. It seems to me that they had a S&M theme and the guys mostly wore leather and they played a lot of good New Wave tunes.

Maybe it was not as close to Hamburger Marys as in my memories?

Edited by Ulysses G.

The Cinch is correct, but the Eagle does not ring a bell. It seems to me that they had a S&M theme and the guys mostly wore leather and they played a lot of good New Wave tunes.

Maybe it was not as close to Hamburger Marys as in my memories?

The Stud? That was the old location.

Oh The Stud....that's on 9th...not so near Hamburger Marys. Still going strong. And why would you move this to the gay forum? It's about a bloody foot massage.

Mary's closed in 2001. We are talking about the OLD location of the Stud before they moved. The old location was on Folsom Street.