Who Do You Tip?

Spaniel

Security guards

Newspaper delivery guy

Post delivery guy

Trash pick up guys

I don't tip any of those guys because I don't have them. Where I live the postal service and trash pick up people are well paid civil servents.

However, I do tip for good service in restaurants and anywhere else I get service.

I think the OP refers to an extra gratuity at New Year. Is it customary here to tip at New Year i.e. do locals do it? Or do they do it at Songkran?

Yes, that's what I'm referring to, once a year over the holidays either Januaary first or Songkran, not a daily or weekly thing.

it's not tipping i believe in so much as it is, over tipping.

10 baht on a breakfast

20-50 baht on a good dinner

10 baht to the kid pumping my gas

100 baht on a 1000 bar bill

Only tipping after a good meal or good service in a bar 20-40 B, if that is your new target for 2010 you can delight yourself with a bottle of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild 1972 during your Christmas diner 2010 instead of 2 cans of LEO beer this year.But if you prefer to sponsor the sticky rice for 2010 its also acceptable.

I doubt many of the Thais do, it's not really part of their culture as these people already have jobs and are presumably making money (not my opinion, just a reason I hear when I ask Thai friends). I tip the doormen to my condo, and on a daily basis I tip for various things, because even if it isn't local culture, I like to let these people know that their work is appreciated.

it's not tipping i believe in so much as it is, over tipping.

10 baht on a breakfast

20-50 baht on a good dinner

10 baht to the kid pumping my gas

100 baht on a 1000 bar bill

It said “in Rome do what Roman do” I tip like Thai which is rarly :)

Thais do it all the time, especially in Bangkok and urban areas. Prime people being tipped: Traffic police!

Anyway, probably 'tip' is the wrong word for a 'New Year Gift'.

Personally, we tip the maid. (We also tip her at Songkran and Loy Krathong). We live in a gated development, and we tip the gardeners and security guards.

In addition, this year I plan to go to the fire department and tip them as well. Not sure if Thais tip those guys or not, but they should. :D Also I'm hoping to get some cell phone numbers in return from those guys, that's never a bad thing. :D

NB: When it comes to tipping in bars and restaurants and so on I'm notoriously stingy; but the people above work hard and do good work and deserve a little something once in a while. Little things are also appreciated; we often give some warm soy milk these days to the security guards who look like they're freezing currently. :)

As with all acts of selfless generocity, be it tipping, gifts or Thanksgiving: If you have to think about it then just don't bother. Let your hart speak. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I tip the security guards now and again. Sometimes I pick em up a little bbq chicken and stuff on my way home from a late night out.

The trash guys I don't tip very often unless I have a ton of tree clippings that are over and above the normal amount. Was thinking of putting a full un-capped bottle of JW Red in the bin someday with a nice lil note "Happy New Year".

I tip the security guards now and again. Sometimes I pick em up a little bbq chicken and stuff on my way home from a late night out.

The trash guys I don't tip very often unless I have a ton of tree clippings that are over and above the normal amount. Was thinking of putting a full un-capped bottle of JW Red in the bin someday with a nice lil note "Happy New Year".

I'm almost sure you're joking, but for the record: don't do that; Food and liquor and money and gifts in general are semi-revered things and best treated with some respect. Putting them in the trash turns a very nice gesture into an iffy one. By all means give them something though.

I'm almost sure you're joking, but for the record: don't do that; Food and liquor and money and gifts in general are semi-revered things and best treated with some respect. Putting them in the trash turns a very nice gesture into an iffy one. By all means give them something though.

Was kidding about the whiskey mate. But I did give them an extra 150 baht to haul away some trees.

I commonly eat in a Thai cafe where they serve simple meals that cost about 25 to 40 baht. The meal I usually choose (Kow pat gai) comes with a bowl of consume soup. It costs 30 baht, but I always pay 40 baht because it's worth it. However, the funny thing is that the owner of the cafe gives me an extra large portion in compensation. It's quite funny really when I go there with friends and I get a big plate and they get a normal size portion.

Tipping This is not a regular thing in the UK

Americans do it as it appears to be the norm in the States

One thing that pisses me of is when the bar gives you 5x 20 Baht notes instead of a 100 in the expectation that you will tip when this happens i never tip

• Like 1

One thing that pisses me of is when the bar gives you 5x 20 Baht notes instead of a 100 in the expectation that you will tip when this happens i never tip

Ah, but that is very handy as when you get the taxi home you have plenty of 20s to pay the taxi driver who for some reason never ever has any change whatsoever. :)

• Like 1

Ah, but that is very handy as when you get the taxi home you have plenty of 20s to pay the taxi driver who for some reason never ever has any change whatsoever. :)

There was me thinking the twentys were asking for a tip I forgot that they were helping me when it came to paying the cab

Yes i know another one given back 10 coint of 10 B, 6 of them you can't even see as they are "by mistake" dropped in a small cover.

If you ask them why they hiding 6 coint's off 10 B the answer is "SOLLY". :)

Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

That about sums up my position.

Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

That about sums up my position.

Well if you aren't gonna tip the birds, who then? They need taxi fare ya know.

I give my barber "Christmas bonus" every year.

I tipped the police 3000 baht once because they found one of my motorbikes that been stolen.

In restaurants my wife tips more than me.

So you tipped them for doing a job they are paid to do??? Do you tip the checkout girl at tescos for running your items through the till?

Thai people are not renown for tipping and a tip in my opinion is to reward someone for going above and beyond what their job entails, as the thais cant seem to even get the basics of service right I dont tip much.

I tipped the police 3000 baht once because they found one of my motorbikes that been stolen.

So you tipped them for doing a job they are paid to do??? Do you tip the checkout girl at tescos for running your items through the till?

Thai people are not renown for tipping and a tip in my opinion is to reward someone for going above and beyond what their job entails, as the thais cant seem to even get the basics of service right I dont tip much.

There are also jobs where tips are part of the expected remuneration.

In our small business I pay our waitress 100 Baht a day and tips are shared between her and the chef. Last Friday they got over 150 Baht each in tips.

Nobody has to leave a tip but 90+% of customers do. We also present 5 x 20 with the 'bin' (if there is not 20 Baht in the change) to give the customer the ability/option to leave a tip if they so desire. 20 Baht is the standard for me to tip locally and I would not expect more from a customer. We get 2 or 3 customers a week who will tip 100 Baht.

nobody tipped me in my country for doing a hard job the few months i ever worked..

I dont know why i should tip a thai who's just sitting around most of his days

I will leave a tip to a taxi driver who looks like a sincere family from his looks or a massage girl who did a good job.. Anyone who doesnt give 100% effort i keep my 1 satang and throw it on the sidewalk right after

nobody tipped me in my country for doing a hard job the few months i ever worked..

I dont know why i should tip a thai who's just sitting around most of his days

I will leave a tip to a taxi driver who looks like a sincere family from his looks or a massage girl who did a good job.. Anyone who doesnt give 100% effort i keep my 1 satang and throw it on the sidewalk right after

Now now, you have gone and done it now. Bad luck to do that.

There are also jobs where tips are part of the expected remuneration.

In our small business I pay our waitress 100 Baht a day and tips are shared between her and the chef. Last Friday they got over 150 Baht each in tips.

Nobody has to leave a tip but 90+% of customers do. We also present 5 x 20 with the 'bin' (if there is not 20 Baht in the change) to give the customer the ability/option to leave a tip if they so desire. 20 Baht is the standard for me to tip locally and I would not expect more from a customer. We get 2 or 3 customers a week who will tip 100 Baht.

I agree that people in the service industry expect tips, however, tips should not be taken into consideration when accepting a job. Tips are a bonus on top of salary and should not be taken into account when considering a position.