Display Problem

holidaybob

Hi

I have a problem with my video display when booting up my computer in the morning. The computer is booting up as I get the welcome tone but no display. I have to press the reboot button several times for the display to come up. Sometime when rebooting I get the motherboard logo and the XP logo but then no welcome screen.

Also when it come to shutting down it lake about 5 minutes form when I press the turn off button till the computer switches off.

Any ideas what the problem is.

Cheers Bob

Seems you have some software problems, thus immediately suggesting virus, worms, etc. Or could just be a cluttered Windows system, which tends to develop over time due to accumulation of miscellaneous junk. Go to Microsoft site and get the Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), whichis really quite good for detection and elimination of many forms of malware. Good to have in any event.

In Windows click start button, then click all programs accessories, then click on system tools and final click disk defragmentor. Click the analyze button and see how many percent your hard disk is fragmented?

If this is more than 10% fragmented, click on defragment and defrag your hard drive

The hard drive is like a highway

If you never repair the highway you end up with a million potholes

The car (pc) starts down the highway at top speed and bam, falls in a pothole. Then the car (pc) has to climb out of pothole and start down highway again

Starting this over and over will drastically reduce the performance of your PC

Defragmenting will fix all the potholes in the highway

Norton System Utilities is the best program for this but if you don't have, use Windows defragmenter

Degragging is something you should get in the habit of adding to routine pc maintenance