British Expats And Tourists Encouraged To Register With New Embassy Tracking System

webfact

most probably you don't have to register with your true name, passport number etc - it's more o tool of communication between consulate and citizens. The last year, during airports occupations, some countries were able to lift people up from thailand, because they had mobile numbers or @ addresses to tourists stuck in here.

something similar might be coming up again

When ever you may be deluded into thinking that the british government would consider doing something with good or positive intentions toward its citizens - then breath deeply and say i am deluded i am deluded :)

Edited by rabcbroon

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Common sense says I should sign up, what harm could it do, after all the UK government cares for its people right? I don’t know what to believe any more, why are they doing this, for my benefit?…. I don’t think so! I just don’t really trust our Gov any more, just look at there track record, it speaks volumes. I used to laugh at people, who would find an alternate motive for every initiative the UK Gov took, well, I still laugh…. Just not so hard. Jury out on this one!

It all starts out innocently enough :

"We are collecting this data for consular purposes, i.e. finding people who might be caught up in an incident overseas, or getting warnings or other important information to them."

I can understand that and yes it seems like a good idea in the event of a crisis in a specific location that nationals can be contacted and information provided.

However....

"The name, address and contact details of those registered for more than 90 days will be passed on to carefully selected regional contacts in some countries where we have established networks of such people to help British nationals."

Carefully selected????

In addition, during crises we may need to share some information with the UK police"

I do not understand why this should be so? What assistance can the police provide to someone out of the country?

Then comes this little nugget :

"The Data Protection Act recognises that there may be circumstances when compliance with one or more of the Act's data protection principles may prejudice other interests, e.g. national security; crime and taxation; and disclosures required by law or made in connection with legal proceedings. Under such circumstances, the FCO may be obliged or consider it necessary to share personal data with law enforcement/police, other government departments, agency or court concerned."

For reference the eight principles of the Data Protection Act are as follows :

• Fairly and lawfully processed
  • Processed for limited purposes
  • Adequate, relevant and not excessive
  • Accurate and up to date
  • Not kept for longer than is necessary
  • Processed in line with your rights
  • Secure
  • Not transferred to other countries without adequate protection

So which ones are going to be breached, as they state that "any such release would comply with the remaining data protection principles."

Think I'll pass on registration thanks all the same.

When ever you may be deluded into thinking that the british government would consider doing something with good or positive intentions toward its citizens - then breath deeply and say i am deluded i am deluded :)

not any government represents it's citisens, but they are the workforce for the economy, so they are better alive and healthy, than lost somewhere in the thai jungle, because thai airports are closed and public transport doesn't work.

I have just registered with the folse name and passport number, so anybody can do the same - still benefitting from the updates from the consulate. In the times of crisis thai mass media might be not interested to brodcast usuful to us info in english

They need to work on their marketing of this and research their target audience a bit more.

If it were me (and based two recent very successful threads on TV - condoms and beer Chang), I would throw a bbq with free curry, condoms and cans of Chang beer for everyone who registers. For that, I might register twice and I ain't even British.

More like another Big Brother move by the British Government. They can stick their LOCATE service where the sun doesn't shine.

I use it, there again I have nothing to hide...

It is not new, it has been a round for a year or so.

Thanks for the insinuation, but neither do I. As far as I am concerned the service is not of much value, and i have the appropriate things in place if and so when required.

I don't need the nanny state of the UK to follow me around.

LOL the data will be used in line with the Data Protection Act . That really makes me laugh. British government agencies are renowned for breaching the act by their negligence.

Oh boy, I can't wait tell the US Gubermint ??????REQUESTS?????? this information from it's citizens.

Kinda reminds me of a VOLUNTARY questionaire I got from the FAA once and figured since it was voluntary don't bother. BIG MISTAKE and got a phone call AND a followup letter stating that I would be fined 10K and possible jail time if I did not submit this Voluntary form.

I personnally feel informing family members of your whereabouts is much less intrusive into your life than telling the Government any more than absolutley needed. Then again this is about Briton and not the good old USA.

I assume that most British citizens move to Thailand because they do not want to get tracked by their government.

Not just the government! I can think of (a) divorce lawyers/ex-wives looking for an up in the alimony, ( :) the tax man if you funded your retirement by "forgetting" to pay the last year's VAT at you business on the way out of the UK, © credit card companies and other creditors etc. The comment about data "protection" is very valid. If it exists it will be shared (just like car registrations from the DVLA can be had for the right price).

In my experience the least any officials know about you the better. Even if you have nothing to hide there is not one redeeming feature about the UK government that would allow me to trust them with anything. If i thought for one moment that this really was to 'assist' next of kin etc I would go and have a large drink until the thought disappeared.

LOCATE has been around in this form(online) for a while and requires renewing every year. I personally use it. I would suggest that those who decry the system might well have something to hide from the UK authorities. Presumably these same folk never need to use the UK Embassy letter for a driving licence or income statement?

Nice to see the UK government getting a bashing as opposed to their Thai counterparts :)

LOCATE has been around in this form(online) for a while and requires renewing every year. I personally use it. I would suggest that those who decry the system might well have something to hide from the UK authorities. Presumably these same folk never need to use the UK Embassy letter for a driving licence or income statement?

Nice to see the UK government getting a bashing as opposed to their Thai counterparts :D

Well done to you. :)

Usual bunch of whinging expats on here bleating about big brother etc etc. You see these same people whining tearfully for the cameras in the event of a natural or man made disaster "why hasn't the British embassy send a chauffer driven limo to carry me, wrapped in cotton wool, to safety? Nobody loves me, everybody hates me...bleat...bleat".

If you want to register do so, if you don't don't but when things go tits up don't pose crying for the press because when it happens YOU are on YOUR own, standing on your own two feet, something most Brits have forgotten how to do.

As for people worrying that agents of the government, banks, credit card companies etc will use it track you down you are deluding yourself, you aren't that important. Petty criminals are just that.

Well, count me among the sceptics. Coming hard on the heels of the announcement that revenue authorities were going to start checking the authenticity of certain ex-pat's status then it has the 'smells fishy until proved otherwise' label on it.

I have no reason to fear this kind of information gathering, or even the implied fishing expedition, but I don't trust it either. The growth in number, scope, intrusivity of UK Govt databases is truly staggering. Perhaps other nations do this in a more clandestine fashion - who can say - but I won't be registering at an embassy and have never felt the need to do so in the past. Having been out of the UK since 1992, I find it somewhat galling that I need a piece of paper (aka a passport) from London to let me cross from Thailand to Malaysia and back. Remember, in the UK a passport is a travel document, not strictly a statement of nationality, and as such it guarantees nothing about my intentions on crossing any given border. Sure, it gives me access to consular and embassy services but that implies intent to return and suggests that the whole concept of domicile of choice is in any case meaningless.

I have a small problem in as much as that I have only my son, his long term girlfriend and several friends in the country that I actually care about and none of them are mentioned in my will.

When I die my wish is to be cremated at the wat near where my Thai wife, our son and I live and my ashes scattered in Thailand.

I deal with the UK embassy only when I have to.

There are several government agencies that already have my address and mobile number.

When I was in the military I HAD to do as I was told and that sort of included volunteering but now I am a retired senior citizen living in the country of MY choice and paying income tax to the UK government without any choice and NOT getting any increases at all.

Because it is voluntary choice then my option is to ignore it.

If the government wants to find me then it will without my help.

Screw 'em like they screw me.

:)

yes the government cares and worrys about us all :)

UK.gov hoovers up data on five-year-olds

What I did on my holidays, and all the other days

By John Ozimek

The government obsession with collecting data has now extended to five-year-olds, as local Community Health Services get ready to arm-twist parents into revealing the most intimate details of their own and their child’s personal, behavioural and eating habits.

The questionnaire – or "School Entry Wellbeing Review" – is a four-page tick-box opus, at present being piloted in Lincolnshire, requiring parents to supply over 100 different data points about their own and their offspring’s health. Previously, parents received a "Health Record" on the birth of a child, which contained around eight questions which needed to be answered when that child started school.

The Review asks parents to indicate whether their child "often lies or cheats": whether they steal or bully; and how often they eat red meat, takeaway meals or fizzy drinks.

However, the interrogation is not limited to intimate details of a child’s health. Parents responding to the survey are asked to provide details about their health and their partner’s health, whether they or their partner are in paid employment, and even to own up to whether or not their child is upset when they (the parent) returns to a room.

Completing the review is, according to a spokeswoman for Lincolnshire Community Health Services (CHS) "entirely the choice of the parent". However, the letter accompanying the review states: "Please complete the enclosed questionaire …and return it to school in the envelope provided within the next 7 days."

There is no indication on the letter of a parent’s right to opt out, and parents we have spoken with have expressed fears that failure to fill out this questionnaire might mean their child’s access to health services would be diminshed.

One went so far as to say that she found the entire exercise terrifying: given the way in which social services were nowadays so quick to intervene in children’s lives, she felt that merely objecting to this questionnaire might lead to her and her child being placed on some sort of risk register.

Ginny Blackoe, Head of Family and Healthy Lifestyle Services, confirmed that children would not be excluded from the School Nursing service on the basis of non-completion of the health needs assessment. She went on: "On reflection I agree that this should have been clearer in the letter accompanying the questionnaire and I will ensure that this is actioned by the Lead for School Nursing."

She also explained that as part of Lincolnshire’s softly-softly consensual approach to data gathering, this initial communication will be followed up with a reminder and then a third letter and a potential home visit from the School Nursing team.

El Reg put a number of specific questions both to Lincolnshire Community Health Services and to the Department of Health. We asked whether this process was lawful. We also asked whether not mentioning a parental right to opt out was a very convenient omission – and whether the process as a whole might be considered intimidatory.

Lincolnshire CHS were adamant that the process did not breach any laws on Data Protection. A spokeswoman said: "The questionnaire does not contravene the Data Protection Act." They further added that the data would only be provided in anonymised form to third parties.

However, they were not prepared to engage in discussion of how this review fitted with DPA requirements that data be "obtained fairly" and that collection be "adequate for purpose" and "not excessive". Nor have they responded on the specific issue around their right to collect data on third parties - partners of parents filling in the form.

I would view this offer to register with a certain degree of caution. It may look innocent enough but in my opinion it is just another extension of the British governments obsession with collating as much data on its citizens as possible. You can bet the data on you will be passed to or made available to anybody in authority including the police, Inland Revenue etc and any other agency or quango of theirs.

Britain is one of the top countries for CCTV surveillance and state snooping. (check out the Privacy International map on their web site - sorry, Thailand doesnt escape criticism either ) Considering the amount of crime committed in Britain, under reporting of crime, undetected crime, etc etc., you begin to wonder what's the use of CCTV anyway. But this is their mindset.

Those who have been away from the UK for a long time would find the place completely different if they went back there to live. The way the government wants to meddle into just about every facet of your life is breathtaking. The next census form will contain some VERY personal questions. People are now being paid to spy on their neighbours and report 'illegal' activities.

Old enough to remember the Communist East German 'Stasi'?

Its getting just like that!!

www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd[347]=x-347-559597

some long time ago i registered and soon after I received a 'round-robin' email from the FO (or whichever govt. dept. it was then) showing the literally thousands and thousands and thousands of British email addresses. I replied pointing out the stupidity of giving would-be-spammers a field-day bonus ........ and got no apology of course.

Trusting these buffoons in government with personal data is not good. I recall an instance a few years back when Tony Blair was doing his farewell tour prior to leaving his post to Brown. He was visiting a school and stopped to chat with some kids who were working on a computer. He asked: 'what are you doing here' ? - they replied, 'we are updating our school website' 'oh, i see' said Blair ' What is a website'

I kid you not :)

I haven't seen one reply suggesting this is the first step towards compulsory implantation of tracking microchips. ThaiVisa is becoming tame nowadays.

Having seen the British government's record in relation to data protection over the past year I shall be giving this a wide berth.

The UK is consistently the leading source of European arrivals to Thailand, with about 860,000 coming to the Kingdom in 2007, the last year for which figures are available on the Tourism Authority of Thailand website.

funny thing with this TAT numbers as they count in everybody who is doing Visaruns also, -so it seems the Brits are traveling a lot :):D :D

First step to create an inventory.

Second step to control the numbers.

Third step to regulate mandatory after voluntary.

Fourth step to tax.

As if there were not enough already existing controls from Mother Country.

Modern World in action when every one's moves are on micro chips.

I haven't seen one reply suggesting this is the first step towards compulsory implantation of tracking microchips. ThaiVisa is becoming tame nowadays.

Having seen the British government's record in relation to data protection over the past year I shall be giving this a wide berth.

glad to be of assistance :)

Hollywood director and documentary film maker Aaron Russo has gone in-depth on the astounding admissions of Nick Rockefeller, who personally told him that the elite's ultimate goal was to create a microchipped population and that the war on terror was a hoax, Rockefeller having predicted an "event" that would trigger the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan eleven months before 9/11.

Rockefeller also told Russo that his family's foundation had created and bankrolled the women's liberation movement in order to destroy the family and that population reduction was a fundamental aim of the global elite.

Russo is perhaps best known for producing Trading Places starring Eddie Murphy but was more recently in the spotlight for his exposé of the criminal run for profit federal reserve system, the documentary America From Freedom to Fascism.

Does not seem like a bad idea to me. If I were run over by a taxi in Bangkok, it might be nice to be able to have the embassy contact my next of kin rapidly. Works the other way too. I'm not paranoid, the government has everything they need on me anyway. I'm not British but if I was traveling and had an easy way to do the registration as is suggested here, why not? For those of you hiding out in Thailand, from ex-wives or the taxman I suggest you skip the registration process. Why all the drama over something that really is not a bad idea.

Edited by Trouble

More like another Big Brother move by the British Government. They can stick their LOCATE service where the sun doesn't shine.

I use it, there again I have nothing to hide...

It is not new, it has been a round for a year or so.

Yes, I've been registered for a good couple of years... if you've got nothing to hide, so what?