Thai Banks New Rule

Dec 4 I used US debit card to get 24.000baht at SCB. My fee from my bank was 2% of 24,000 (converted to dollars), so essentially is the same amount as 150baht for ATM plus the $5 fee my bank charges. Sum of 24.000 plus fee, gave me 32.5baht/$. Can't win

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

khunjake where is your ATM card based ?

US based with VISA logo.

From my experience, each SCB branch has its own rule on the limit allowed for over-the-counter cash withdrawals. The SCB closest to me is 50k THB max per day while the farang friendly branch about 15 minutes out of my way is friendly enough to allow 250k THB max per day.

Again.. No problem for me with this transaction so the OP must be using a non-Visa/MC bearing debit card then is my guess which could present a problem.

US based with VISA logo.

From my experience, each SCB branch has its own rule on the limit allowed for over-the-counter cash withdrawals. The SCB closest to me is 50k THB max per day while the farang friendly branch about 15 minutes out of my way is friendly enough to allow 250k THB max per day.

Again.. No problem for me with this transaction so the OP must be using a non-Visa/MC bearing debit card then is my guess which could present a problem.

The account is with Barclays Uk and the Debit Card has the Visa logo.

My branch of SCB told me that the new rule was introduced from 30 November and applies to all branches and all foreign debit cards.

If you have made an over the counter withdrawal of over 20,000THB at an SCB branch, since 30 November, using a foreign debit card, please let me know which branch.

Dec 4 I used US debit card to get 24.000baht at SCB. My fee from my bank was 2% of 24,000 (converted to dollars), so essentially is the same amount as 150baht for ATM plus the $5 fee my bank charges. Sum of 24.000 plus fee, gave me 32.5baht/$. Can't win

Can you tell me which branch of SCB you used.

I need to revisit my branch and tell them that there are other branches who are permitting larger over the counter transfers.

Thanks

Chickenlegs I had the same problem as you when I was purchasing my new car in August. The money was all in my UK based Nationwide account and I found that the only bank that you can tranfser any large amount with via your debit card is bank of Auydhya (yellow signs).

This is the only bank in Thailand that allows me to withdraw up to 50000 bht from and exchange booth, or 100000 bht from a branch using my UK debit card and passport. There doesn't seem to be a daily limit as when I purchased my car I withdrew 600000 bht in one day from several branches using this method and nothing was ever said to me and no stops put on the account.

The other bank all range from 5000 to 25000 using this method of withdrawal.

Thanks.

You are confirming what I have found myself when visiting various banks.

We did open an account with Ayadhuya, but they would only let us have ONE atm card, even though it is a joint account with my wife.

About 5 years ago, I withdrew 500,000 THB in cash from my Uk account in an over the counter transaction at the SCB, as a final payment for a new car. To be fair, I had a lot of money going through the account at the time due to buying a house, furniture, etc. but nobody in the bank raised any objections.

I did sweat a bit as I carried out the cash in a brown paper bag.

But, a daily limit of 20,000THB when you are in your own branch, producing a passport, bank book and a debit card - seems daft to me.

This thread has had me worried since the SCB "swipe" is what I have been using since Kaisikorn told me their "swipe" limit was 20,000 for my US based ATM card, at that time, SCB had no such restriction

I'd be interested to know what happens next time you use your card inside the SCB.

Kasikorn bank also told me that their daily limit is 20,000 for over the counter transactions with foreign debit cards.

We did open an account with Ayadhuya, but they would only let us have ONE atm card, even though it is a joint account with my wife.

That is also the policy at Bangkok Bank - only one ATM card per account. But you can have multi debit cards in your own names.

Up here in Udon-Thani I transferred 300,000 Baht today with no problems.

I used my Nationwide debit card with the Visa Logo to put the money into our SCB Acc. It took about 15 minuets because she could not the photocopier working to copy my passport.

Regards

Steve

Up here in Udon-Thani I transferred 300,000 Baht today with no problems.

I used my Nationwide debit card with the Visa Logo to put the money into our SCB Acc. It took about 15 minuets because she could not the photocopier working to copy my passport.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for this info.

I have now heard from several posters who have been able to use their foreign debit cards for single transactions over 20,000 THB at the SCB.

I will visit my branch later this week and speak to the manager.

Thanks to everyone who has responded with information/advice.

Based on other threads on this forum, sounds like the pitter patter of debit card feet to the counter, to avoid the 150 baht ATM fee, has resonated with the Thai banks charging this fee. Not all, or at least not all branches, apparently. But many.

Using your Debit/ATM card at the counter is transaction coded so that the bank only gets the measly $.40 or so from the network -- same as for the ATM out front -- but with no additional 150 baht gravy. Obviously, if you once were getting 140k over the counter, but now have to milk the ATM 7 times for the same, the bank smiles upon their extra 1,050 baht.

If you were just doing your Debit POS counter transaction, then walking out the door with the loot, that would be one thing. However, to then subsequently put all the loot into your SCB, or whatever, account, should have some smattering of light bulb go on in the clerk's head. Well, maybe not the clerk...... But a chat with the manager should point out that the two-step process you're doing is to his advantage -- mathematically and customer service wise.

Anyway, a chat with the manager -- or finding an accommodating manager -- might kick open the door. But, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Update on SCB counter transactions

Today I went to my home branch of SCB on 2nd Road in Pattaya and they offered to swipe my US E*trade VISA branded ATM card for 250,000 THB

So that appears to be their upward limit, unfortunately, I am still restricted to E*trade Bank's daily ATM limit of $1000 USD or 33,000 THB (at the current exchange rate)

• 1 month later...
Update on SCB counter transactions

Today I went to my home branch of SCB on 2nd Road in Pattaya and they offered to swipe my US E*trade VISA branded ATM card for 250,000 THB

Further Update on SCB counter transactions

Today I went to my home branch of SCB on 2nd Road in Pattaya (opposite "Tops" supermarket - same branch as 'Langsuan Man') and took 50,000 Baht out of my UK Nationwide Flex account - Visa Debit card. As I requested, the teller put 30,000 into my SCB account and I took the other 20,000 in cash. Passport and card form copied - no problems encountered.

I asked at my k-Bank branch if I wrote a cheque from my Barclays account could it be transferred?

Yes was the answer but it takes about a month to process

If you give yourself enough time each month this is a way around it...as long as you have a cheque book...

I asked at my k-Bank branch if I wrote a cheque from my Barclays account could it be transferred?

Yes was the answer but it takes about a month to process

If you give yourself enough time each month this is a way around it...as long as you have a cheque book...

... and when cheques are phased out in the next 18 months.. ????

What an archaic and costly method. You write a a cheque in Sterling on a UK account you will pick up the highest possible charges for 'collection' of the cheque - and the eventual proceeds from the UK may be credited in 6 - 8 weeks.

we withdraw regularly on our Debit card ,,and more than 20,000- baht at SCB and bangkok bank...we have been customers of BBL for 10 years,,,their daily limit is 300,000-baht as long as your card allows it,, your UK bank also sets alimit.. but if it has not then you can withdraw as much as you like..

yes K bank limits to 20,000- per day at branches with no Exchage booth,,

me thinks it may also be aploy to get you to use the ATM and the bank gets 150- baht per time whereas doing it over the counter they dont get the fee of 150-baht..

Bangkok bank is far better,, SCB use outdated technology and procedurews..

as a banker i can tell you that it does not matter in which country your card was issued.. what matters is a) has the issuing bank placed a daily limit on your card, :) it must carry the Visa/mastercard logo c) the card must be enabled for overseas use.

Thai banks and their branches apply "rules" at the whim of the manager of the branch..

Even small shopping centre branches can payout up to 250,000- or 300,000- baht per day. assuming they have the cash on hand. This is for certain at BBL, SCB and UOB. We have used all 3 in th epast month..

no such rule about 20,000- per day,, your being had, again they may want you to use the ATM and they earn 150- baht per time.. and yuo can withdraw up to yout issuing banks limit..

try again and be persistent,,you are the cutomer, dont just asscet what they say,,, oh..so be polite,, but forceful.