Hail A Taxi In Bangkok Can Be Annoying

webfact

Citywatch

By Achara Deboonme

The Nation

Published on December 2, 2009

In the past 10 months, 419,755 vehicles have been sold countrywide. Notably, the figure represents a 17.7-per-cent drop year on year, but considering that land is limited for new road construction, it is astonishing how our roads can accommodate all those new cars.

Still, demand is picking up, as consumers see economic improvement.

That's not surprising. Everybody wants to have his own car. Despite the running costs, a personal car can get rid of many problems associated with life without wheels.

For those in the capital without a car, the most common means of transportation are taxis and public buses. For those in other cities, it's tuk-tuks and pickups modified as public buses with two bench seats.

Of course, for those who can afford the fares, they would opt to take air-conditioned taxis over buses, to beat the notorious smoke and noise.

But annoyances crop up from the moment you try to hail a cab.

First, you have to find the right spot to catch the attention of passing taxis, as unlike European cities, most taxis do not wait at taxi stands. Then, unlike taxis in Europe, you can't just open the door, get in and give directions. Taxis here prefer to drive in short circles. The more they can reset the meter, the more money they will make. It's a nuisance for those who have to travel far from the inner city.

It's surprising that many taxi drivers are so choosy despite the fierce competition from the rising number of vehicles.

Problems do not end when the drivers agree to take you. Once you get in the car, you are entering into the driver's personal world. In Tokyo, taxi drivers are dressed in white suits and gloves and a nice cap. With their uniforms, they could be the chauffeurs of any minister. In Bangkok? Despite a uniform code, many wear worn-out jeans and T-shirts. It looks as if they're heading to the beach with their families, not to work.

Instead of tuning in to radio stations that play soft music, some cabbies play their favourite CDs. It could be worse if they like loud music. I guess all pray that Bangkok creates a radio station particularly for commuters, and all the public buses and taxis are forced to tune in to this channel.

Some drivers cough without covering their mouths. Some shift their bodies in discomfort, when learning that traffic on the agreed route is worse than expected or when passengers talk to friends or on mobile phones for a long time.

Taxi drivers anywhere usually offer to lift heavy bags, particularly for women passengers. But not here. Still, they hope for tips. Without tips, they just take the liberty to add them onto the fare, when not having enough change.

Now that taxis are also popular with tourists and expatriates, it is embarrassing that these nuisances go uninterrupted. The longer this remains, the more notorious Bangkok will be.

I can't help thinking that if taxi services were up to standard, fewer people would buy new cars - and then pollution problem here may be contained.

Achara_d(at)nationgroup.com

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/2

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"First, you have to find the right spot to catch the attention of passing taxis, as unlike European cities, most taxis do not wait at taxi stands."

Thank goodness it's not like Europe in that sense! I always hated running all over the place trying to find a taxi stand. I appreciate the fact that in Bangkok, I can flag down a taxi from wherever I happen to be standing.

The taxis's are really cheap but you get what you pay for. To be honest I'd like it if there was an option to pay a bit more to have the crackly radio less than 100dbs, the aircon switched on, a driver that didn't look (or smell) half pissed muttering about the traffic being bad every 5 seconds, seatbelts etc.

I've used them for 18 months now and I'd like to keep using them but I recently went to look at new cars because by the time I get to my destination I'm normally pretty pissed off, sweating, headache etc.

Asking them to turn up the a/c, turn down the stereo etc normally gets results for 2-3 minutes before it's returned to the original setting...

Not as bad as Samui/Phuket though, at least they use the meter...

Oh yeah, taking a "long-cut" so that he can refill with LPG while the meter is still running is another favourite.

Just a cross-section of normal chaps trying to make a living for their family, when other means are limited. Some are prats, most are not.

Great service, always there and cheap. Use it constantly. Would have to mess around on public services in London or be permabroke.

Find something else to complain about. Taxis in Bkk. ain't one of them. Definately one of the cities many positives.

Just a cross-section of normal chaps trying to make a living for their family, when other means are limited. Some are prats, most are not.

Great service, always there and cheap. Use it constantly. Would have to mess around on public services in London or be permabroke.

Find something else to complain about. Taxis in Bkk. ain't one of them. Definately one of the cities many positives.

I'd agree that they are good value for money purely because they are so cheap. I'd also agree that the level of service is in line with the low cost. But let's not pretend the service is good just because they're cheap. The fact that they are worse in Samui (or anywhere else) is irrelevant.

It's not moaning, it's just giving an honest account after using them a lot over the last 18 months...

Strange, 15 years I've been in Thailand and I haven't experienced such *serious* problems. Maybe it's because politeness with just a little Thai sentence like "Kha . . . dai mai?" goes a long way to show the driver you value him/her as a fellow human being?

I have no real complaints about taxi service in Bangkok. I've had a few annoying rides, but for the most part all was well.

What drives me nuts are the tuk tuk drivers. How stupid can they get? Two days ago I was down in Chinatown doing a photography walk and finally got tired and decided to take a taxi back to Hualamphong. I know I was walking with a camera...looked like a typical tourist...but I know better. What did the tuk tuk driver want for what should have been a 40 baht fair max? 150 baht! I'd rather walk till I dropped dead of exhaustion. I looked at him, pointed and said, "Bah!", and waved for him to move away. Why would they want no fare, rather than a fair fare?

The taxis's are really cheap but you get what you pay for. To be honest I'd like it if there was an option to pay a bit more to have the crackly radio less than 100dbs, the aircon switched on, a driver that didn't look (or smell) half pissed muttering about the traffic being bad every 5 seconds, seatbelts etc.

I've used them for 18 months now and I'd like to keep using them but I recently went to look at new cars because by the time I get to my destination I'm normally pretty pissed off, sweating, headache etc.

Asking them to turn up the a/c, turn down the stereo etc normally gets results for 2-3 minutes before it's returned to the original setting...

Not as bad as Samui/Phuket though, at least they use the meter...

Oh yeah, taking a "long-cut" so that he can refill with LPG while the meter is still running is another favourite.

Wow, my taxis are always freezing. If anything, I find myself asking them to turn the a/c DOWN. Maybe you and I need to trade taxis. :)

I have no real complaints about taxi service in Bangkok. I've had a few annoying rides, but for the most part all was well.

What drives me nuts are the tuk tuk drivers. How stupid can they get? Two days ago I was down in Chinatown doing a photography walk and finally got tired and decided to take a taxi back to Hualamphong. I know I was walking with a camera...looked like a typical tourist...but I know better. What did the tuk tuk driver want for what should have been a 40 baht fair max? 150 baht! I'd rather walk till I dropped dead of exhaustion. I looked at him, pointed and said, "Bah!", and waved for him to move away. Why would they want no fare, rather than a fair fare?

Agreed! The best thing that ever happened was when all taxis had to be metered and I could stop needing to haggle a price from a tuk-tuk, or even worse, from a taxi.

Strange, 15 years I've been in Thailand and I haven't experienced such *serious* problems. Maybe it's because politeness with just a little Thai sentence like "Kha . . . dai mai?" goes a long way to show the driver you value him/her as a fellow human being?

:D:D:D

Why didn't I think of that? :D

Seriously, if you like drivers hocking up phlegm for 10 minutes and then stopping at the side of the road to spit it out, drivers stinking of booze, refusing rides if they don't fancy the route, poorly maintained cars, no seatbelts, no change at the end of the journey etc then you'll love 'em.

Not *serious* problems (unless you crash of course). I'm not fussy with these type of things by any stretch of the imagination, but to say it's a great service makes me wonder what you are comparing it to. My (Thai) girlfriend dislikes them more than I do, believe it or not she says kha and has been here even longer than you have. She'll happily get the bus but refuses to get in a cab alone after dark after a few incidents - that were in fact extremely *serious* - with female friends of hers. But no doubt everyone who experiences problems was forgetting to say "kha" "dai mai" etc and therefore deserves whatever comes their way :)

Wow, what a whine fest over minor trivialities by the author. I suppose she would want the prices to be ten times higher so she doesn't have to wait for a taxi with the riff raff. Personally I think they're just about the best in the world in Bangkok, though that does NOT apply in Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, or any of the other resorts where they can be among the worst in the world.

:D:D:D

Why didn't I think of that? :D

Seriously, if you like drivers hocking up phlegm for 10 minutes and then stopping at the side of the road to spit it out, drivers stinking of booze, refusing rides if they don't fancy the route, poorly maintained cars, no seatbelts, no change at the end of the journey etc then you'll love 'em.

Not *serious* problems (unless you crash of course). I'm not fussy with these type of things by any stretch of the imagination, but to say it's a great service makes me wonder what you are comparing it to. My (Thai) girlfriend dislikes them more than I do, believe it or not she says kha and has been here even longer than you have. She'll happily get the bus but refuses to get in a cab alone after dark after a few incidents - that were in fact extremely *serious* - with female friends of hers. But no doubt everyone who experiences problems was forgetting to say "kha" "dai mai" etc and therefore deserves whatever comes their way :)

Dont know Jonny,

I do agree that taxis in Bangkok are not great, but I wouldn't say they are as bad as you are making them out to be. Been in Thailand for 12 years, 1st half i used taxis and from time to time I would get a guy that did not want to take me where I wanted to go, never had a problem with loud music, but maybe I need my hearing checked actually been told this a few times lately. Aircon usually is too low I ask them to turn it up and no problem, guess you are getting all the bad drivers. The only reason I bought a car is because I opened a factory up north. When Im in BKK I still use a taxis and leave my car at home, much better than trying to find a parking spot paying parking fees, being stopped by the police, gas stations trying to over charge etc. I guess no matter what you do there is good and bad. Guess you should do as you GF wants and take the bus. I do understand about a female being in a taxis by themselves after dark I would never advise any female to do this in Thailand or anywhere else.

Wow, what a whine fest over minor trivialities by the author. I suppose she would want the prices to be ten times higher so she doesn't have to wait for a taxi with the riff raff. Personally I think they're just about the best in the world in Bangkok, though that does NOT apply in Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, or any of the other resorts where they can be among the worst in the world.

Wouldnt really call drunk, rude and dangerous taxi drivers a minor triviality. I think the op was trying to point out the pitfalls of taxis here. Whilst they are cheap they do tend to be hit and miss. I have had good ones, but the majority of them are from the boonies who arent used to dealing with people or abiding by the laws for driving in Thailand.

<snip> I have had good ones, but the majority of them are from the boonies who arent used to dealing with people or abiding by the laws for driving in Thailand.

My observation is that ALL Thai drivers consider the driving "laws" to just be suggestions. "No need to stop at a stop sign if no one is coming from the side direction." is an example.

Wouldnt really call drunk, rude and dangerous taxi drivers a minor triviality. I think the op was trying to point out the pitfalls of taxis here. Whilst they are cheap they do tend to be hit and miss. I have had good ones, but the majority of them are from the boonies who arent used to dealing with people or abiding by the laws for driving in Thailand.

I've taken hundreds and hundreds of taxis in Bangkok at all hours of day and night and only had few who drove what I thought was dangerous, zero drunk, and almost all extremely polite. I never get in one hanging around touting, and always ask if they will go to my destination in Thai. Ensures I have a pleasant, fast, and extremely cheap experience every time. If you can speak some Thai they are usually VERY polite to you, half of them are using khab phom after every sentence.

Usually the farang I find that have constant problems year after year with Bangkok taxis, and I know several, have taken absolutely zero effort to learn any Thai, jump in the back seat of the first taxi they see without permission and order him to go somewhere, go with touts and guys hanging out on the street, are drunk or abusive, etc.

I have no real complaints with taxis in BKK and usually if Ifind a exceptioanlly good cabbie I ask them for their card and phone them when i need to do a pre-determined trip and will use them most of the time i am in BKK. They are happy to get the business and you know you can rely on them.

With all respect, Khun Achara needs to take her head out of her a$$! Talk about generalising and making one's own problems a pandemic. There's only one time a year where you can have serious trouble getting a Bangkok cab, and that's the first few hours of the new year near the usual party hangouts. Oh, and in the pouring rain of course, but try to get a cab in any city when demand exceeds supply. In 13 years of living in Bangkok I've had one critically rude driver (I got ai-hia'd for demanding a 50 satang change on the fare, in my defense it was clear that the meter was rigged and we took more than a slight detour on what should have been a straight ride from Chong Nonsi to Asoke), two fixed meters (90 Baht fare for 500 meters) and a handful of refused rides. Then of course I rarely need to do into the middle of nowhere 30 km outside of the city at 3am. Still never had a problem to catch a cab from Nang linchee into Bang Na.

Things are different for the mafia taxis near the red light areas and around hotels, but you know that. Considering that taxi services are easily 10 to 50 times more expensive where we come from, and hardly an equal amount more friendly or comfortable, the only thing I would change is to weed out some of the cabs that are in worse shape than the Sukhumvit pavement. Then again, most of these hang out at the airport anyway.

Tuk tuk; the combination of the disadvantages of both motorcycle and car, with none of the advantages of either.

And what irritates me about the tuk tuk drivers are that they say an outrageous price and then expect me to haggle about the price. In my view the driver just tried to scam me therefore I walk away.

Why is it that motorcycle taxi guys say a decent price 95% of the times I ask them while the tuktuk drivers says insanely high price 95% of time?

Very strange article, surprised this was copy / pasted over here when it should have been left to fester on The Nation web site. To pick up on a few points:

First, you have to find the right spot to catch the attention of passing taxis, as unlike European cities, most taxis do not wait at taxi stands.

One of the major advantages of Bangkok taxis is listed as a complaint?!

many wear worn-out jeans and T-shirts. It looks as if they're heading to the beach with their families, not to work.

This really is stretching it, complaining about how drivers are dressed! Who, in their right mind, would care in the slightest what their taxi driver is wearing?

Instead of tuning in to radio stations that play soft music, some cabbies play their favourite CDs. It could be worse if they like loud music. I guess all pray that Bangkok creates a radio station particularly for commuters, and all the public buses and taxis are forced to tune in to this channel.

Much more preferable to get a bit of variety in your in-car entertainment. I've never had a taxi driver play his music which could ever be considered too loud. The worst you could get would be a driver who's musical taste didn't match your own - but I'll take that chance ahead of some fixed, generic radio station that they're all forced to tune into. But, the main point is that the vast majority of taxi drivers don't play any music at all.

Taxi drivers anywhere usually offer to lift heavy bags, particularly for women passengers. But not here.

OK, it doesn't happen every time but I've had quite a number of taxi drivers who have helped load and unload heavy bags. This quote makes out that it never happens, which is untrue.

Edited by dantilley

Hmm, hailing a cab is, in my experience, the easy part. Getting them to go where you want them to can be somewhat harder, whether due to the stubborness alluded to in the article, or just their general lack of knowledge of the city they supposedly serve. Some of them want to take you where they want to take you and don't really care where you want to go - the number of times I've sat in a cab listening to a cabbie ask if I want boom-boom, yaba or a trip to the seafood restaurat on Petchaburi Road as I've tried to direct them the mile or so to my office is shocking. As another example, on various occasions when I've been to the Chinatown/Grand Palace/Khao San area, I've asked for a cab to MBK (to connect to the Skytrain) and been told 'very traffic' or 'no can' until eventually someone's taken sympathy on me. Yet when I went to the Khao San to meet a female friend who was passing through town we couldn't walk down the street without 20 offers of a trip to MBK - 'very good shopping for lady'.

That said, the cab are an absolute steal price-wise and the drivers (apart from a couple of rip-off merchants who assumed I'd fallen off the last banana boat and didn't think I'd notice being taken half way around town for what should be a five-minute trip) are a hoot - real characters, even if we don't share more than a few words of language. The Isaan music and taxi-radio is a fun listen, even if you've got no idea what it's all about.

All in all, in the long, long litany of things that are wrong with Bangkok, taxi drivers are well down the list - and they do give the city some added character.