What's The Big Joke?

JayF

I've been in Thailand for a couple of months now and I'd like to think I'm getting to grips with some of the everyday quirks of Thailand. But there's one thing that I just can't figure out and I'm hoping somebody here could shed some light on it.

I have quite a noticeable gap between my front teeth. It's never really bothered me, I'm not self-conscious about it or anything, but I can't help noticing girls openly giggling at me when I smile at them. I've asked a few of them why they find it amusing, but they just do their normal question-dodging smile and nod, no indication of whether it's good or bad, nothing.

This doesn't particularly bother me, but it would be nice to know what it's all about. I've asked a few expats in passing conversation and they don't seem to know either, likewise I couldn't find anything about it on the internet.

Can anyone put me out of my misery and let me know what the big joke is? Anyone else get the same? Otherwise, feel free to just point and giggle if you don't know either : )

I just asked my wife about this.

She can't think of any reason why people would be giggling, unless they're shy or embarassed about something.

Or, maybe you look like someone else - one of the Thai slapstick comedians, for example (not saying you do).

Are you sure they were giggling about the gap? You hadn't forgotten to zip up your flies had you?

the

Do you expect to get a serious answer??

Not really, meant it to be fairly light-hearted with hopefully an explanation thrown in somewhere.

Evidently, some women think you look funny. Cosmetic dentistry can probably fix the problem.

You know maybe it is big ears, dodgy hair, broken nose and wandering eye that does it.

I don't think so though. I'm young, (fairly) presentable and, by Pattaya standards, an Adonis. No I'm pretty sure it's specific to the gap. I'm guessing it's one of their superstitions or something. Just curious more than anything. As for cosmetic dentistry, like I said, it doesn't really bother me, just want to be in on the joke.

Ugly.jpgJust look at me, I'm practically perfect.

She can't think of any reason why people would be giggling, unless they're shy or embarassed about something.

Or, maybe you look like someone else - one of the Thai slapstick comedians, for example (not saying you do).

Are you sure they were giggling about the gap? You hadn't forgotten to zip up your flies had you?

Weird. I can't see why they would be shy or embarrassed. I get it a lot, I can walk into a bar and get the normal "sexy man" treatment. As soon as they see the gap they giggle. It's not like they make a big deal out of it or anything and it's not all girls, just a quick laugh at my expense and then they're fine. I'm certain it's about the gap, I tend to just join in the laugh and a joke about it, but they won't explain. I got similar treatment when I had an eye infection, but then they just stuck their tongues out at me, was guessing it was some similar superstition thing, but maybe not.

There's nothing else that could be seen as amusing about me, I don't claim to be a David Beckham, but I'm no Wayne Rooney either. Just a normal 24 year old bloke.

Edited by JayF

David Beckham... Wayne Rooney !?!

Nice chavs references :)

Haha, cheers. Just some names that came to mind to make a point. I don't even follow football, but do know how to spell it, hopefully that's enough to take me out of that bracket.

Weird. I can't see why they would be shy or embarrassed. I get it a lot, I can walk into a bar and get the normal "sexy man" treatment. As soon as they see the gap they giggle. It's not like they make a big deal out of it or anything and it's not all girls, just a quick laugh at my expense and then they're fine. I'm certain it's about the gap, I tend to just join in the laugh and a joke about it, but they won't explain. I got similar treatment when I had an eye infection, but then they just stuck their tongues out at me, was guessing it was some similar superstition thing, but maybe not.

There's nothing else that could be seen as amusing about me, I don't claim to be a David Beckham, but I'm no Wayne Rooney either. Just a normal 24 year old bloke.

They must be reacting to something other than just your teeth (unless your teeth are a very extreme case). I say that because it's not unusual at all to see Thais who have wildly crooked teeth. After all, it's only going to be fairly financially well-off parents (by Thai standards) who are going to be taking their kid to an orthodontist and paying for braces. Yet even those that have teeth in the most anatomically implausible locations don't seem to be openly laughed at for it.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Hi JayF, Just read you post, and just asked the wife….. Remember this is the LOS! She says, they are probably laughing out of embarrassment, as a gap in the teeth, top or bottom set, means a short life, So, don’t marry! You don’t say how old you are? From talking to her this seems to be an old Thai thing, and being Thailand no one will ever tell you, I have my own views having talked to her about this, but draw your own conclusions.

Hi JayF, Just read you post, and just asked the wife….. Remember this is the LOS! She says, they are probably laughing out of embarrassment, as a gap in the teeth, top or bottom set, means a short life, So, don't marry! You don't say how old you are? From talking to her this seems to be an old Thai thing, and being Thailand no one will ever tell you, I have my own views having talked to her about this, but draw your own conclusions.

Tonto, OP says,

I take it we're talking about the way bar girls are reacting? If so, wouldn't worry as they're not representative of society as a whole here and your average thingamajig is probably knocking around with a handful of brain cells at most, so with that in mind it should be easy to see why stuff like that would amuse them. :)

Hi JayF, Just read you post, and just asked the wife….. Remember this is the LOS! She says, they are probably laughing out of embarrassment, as a gap in the teeth, top or bottom set, means a short life, So, don't marry! You don't say how old you are? From talking to her this seems to be an old Thai thing, and being Thailand no one will ever tell you, I have my own views having talked to her about this, but draw your own conclusions.

Now there's the answer I was looking for. I was sure it was some kind of superstition/traditional belief, and not my humorous appearance/flying low/trapped sunday roast, which I don't have, thanks Original et al :D. I'll probably get round to getting it sorted at some point. Maybe with a new set of shiny white knashers I'll live a long and happy life.

I take it we're talking about the way bar girls are reacting? If so, wouldn't worry as they're not representative of society as a whole here and your average thingamajig is probably knocking around with a handful of brain cells at most, so with that in mind it should be easy to see why stuff like that would amuse them. :)

Yeah we are talking about bar girls, and I honestly don't worry about it. It was more curiosity and trying to get my head round the culture as much as possible while I'm here. I take it all in the context of Thais not having the same inbuilt inhibitions when it comes to offending people as westerners (and also, as you say, by nature they're not the most well-educated people, though I have met a couple of smart (ish) ones). I've never had people in shops, pharmacies, the airport, etc. laughing.

That's pretty much answered my question, anyone else have a take on it?

Hi JayF, Just read you post, and just asked the wife….. Remember this is the LOS! She says, they are probably laughing out of embarrassment, as a gap in the teeth, top or bottom set, means a short life, So, don't marry!

Since you are still getting your head around the culture, I might point out / remind you that people laugh for different reasons here.

Often it's out of embarrassment. So they are not actually laughing AT you the way Western people might.

Since you are still getting your head around the culture, I might point out / remind you that people laugh for different reasons here.

Often it's out of embarrassment. So they are not actually laughing AT you the way Western people might.

Yeah I understand that, which is why I don't take offense as I might if somebody in the West were to laugh at me in the same way. I just let them get it out of their system, or join in the laugh. I really don't take anything too seriously over here. I'm here to have a good time (only 3 weeks left, dreading going back to reality. Give me 6 months and I'll be back teaching English I reckon) and I'm not going to let something so minor offend me. Like I said, I understand it's a different culture and was more curious about it than anything else.

as an aside, gap teeth have different significance in different cultures. Chaucer's Wife of Bath had gap teeth, signifying a lascivious nature.

Not only cultures, but groups of people within social networks, e.g.: Take a bar girl (with said gap in teeth) out for night maneuvers, it’s generally accepted you’re going to wake up with a corduroy appendage.

I hope you are not whistling in the wind that old London Tube favourite

"Mind The Gap"

Seriously a trip to a dentist here is less than a night in NY or LA where dentists charge an arm and child.

It reminds of the night when due to heavy Cotswold snow a famous newlyweds Chuck and Camilla needed a room .The Broadway Hotel's regal suite was already occupied by the similarly stranded Phil and Betty who of course took precedence.Explainng this and offering the famous son free lodging in the second best accommodation in the county,the host sent chambermaids to ready the Bridal Suite while offering refreshment .

Finally the overawed manager said to Charles 'So you'll take the bridal sir?'

To which he replied "Not necessary I'l hold her by the ears til I get used to it!" :)