A Positive Thai Story

jomama

Honest taxi driver returns lost wallet to tourist

220,000 baht in the wallet

Boonlua Chatree

A taxi driver from Bangkok returned a wallet containing more than 200,000 baht that he discovered in his taxi after delivering a tourist from Bangkok International Airport to Pattaya.

Kamchai Wannakit, 37, a cab driver for SP Siam Inter Co Ltd, alerted Pattaya police duty officer Lieutenant Colonel Preecha Samrit to the fact he had discovered his passenger’s wallet when he stopped to clean his vehicle at the Bang Na toll way, on his way back to Bangkok.

Kamchai Wannakit (left) proved to be an honest man when he returned a wallet with 3,000 pounds to the passenger who lost it, Ian Richardson (centre).

Kamchai said that the wallet, containing 3,000 pounds (approx 220,000 baht) had been left on the back seat along with two cell phones. He stated that he had driven the passenger from the airport to Pattaya for the price of 1,500 baht. It was beyond his capability to track down the foreign customer to return his property, therefore he kindly asked the police to do so.

Around the same time, British visitor Ian Richardson, 37, came into the police station. Advised of the discovery of his property, Richardson said that he had often heard about the honesty of Thai people, and now he knows it to be true. He wholeheartedly thanked Kamchai for returning his money back to him.

Richardson said he had just gone to the police station to file a report and ask the police to track down the taxi driver. He didn’t know the driver’s name or license plate number. He didn’t expect that he would receive his lost money and property. Now, he said, he will tell other tourists when he goes back to England about safety for tourists visiting Thailand.

Richardson offered 5,000 baht to Kamchai as a reward, but the taxi driver at first refused and told him that he is always sincere in his service to customers.

Kamchai told reporters that he is from Khamkuankaew district in Yasothorn province, and that he had moved to Bangkok to work as a taxi driver. His wife Patchara, 35, is a hairdresser, and they have a six-year-old daughter. Times are tight because of the increased gasoline prices, he says, but he must bear this.

This is not the first time that one of his customers has left their property in his taxi. He has always tried to return any lost property to customers. This time he was afraid that he wouldn’t be able to because he was already 100 kilometres away from Pattaya, and was happy and relieved that he was able to reach Richardson.

n2-611.jpg Good taximan on left.

Honest taxi driver returns lost wallet to tourist

220,000 baht in the wallet

Boonlua Chatree

A taxi driver from Bangkok returned a wallet containing more than 200,000 baht that he discovered in his taxi after delivering a tourist from Bangkok International Airport to Pattaya.

Kamchai Wannakit, 37, a cab driver for SP Siam Inter Co Ltd, alerted Pattaya police duty officer Lieutenant Colonel Preecha Samrit to the fact he had discovered his passenger’s wallet when he stopped to clean his vehicle at the Bang Na toll way, on his way back to Bangkok.

Kamchai Wannakit (left) proved to be an honest man when he returned a wallet with 3,000 pounds to the passenger who lost it, Ian Richardson (centre).

Kamchai said that the wallet, containing 3,000 pounds (approx 220,000 baht) had been left on the back seat along with two cell phones. He stated that he had driven the passenger from the airport to Pattaya for the price of 1,500 baht. It was beyond his capability to track down the foreign customer to return his property, therefore he kindly asked the police to do so.

Around the same time, British visitor Ian Richardson, 37, came into the police station. Advised of the discovery of his property, Richardson said that he had often heard about the honesty of Thai people, and now he knows it to be true. He wholeheartedly thanked Kamchai for returning his money back to him.

Richardson said he had just gone to the police station to file a report and ask the police to track down the taxi driver. He didn’t know the driver’s name or license plate number. He didn’t expect that he would receive his lost money and property. Now, he said, he will tell other tourists when he goes back to England about safety for tourists visiting Thailand.

Richardson offered 5,000 baht to Kamchai as a reward, but the taxi driver at first refused and told him that he is always sincere in his service to customers.

Kamchai told reporters that he is from Khamkuankaew district in Yasothorn province, and that he had moved to Bangkok to work as a taxi driver. His wife Patchara, 35, is a hairdresser, and they have a six-year-old daughter. Times are tight because of the increased gasoline prices, he says, but he must bear this.

This is not the first time that one of his customers has left their property in his taxi. He has always tried to return any lost property to customers. This time he was afraid that he wouldn’t be able to because he was already 100 kilometres away from Pattaya, and was happy and relieved that he was able to reach Richardson.

n2-611.jpg Good taximan on left.

There are a LOT of really good taxi drivers out there but unfortunately its a matter of luck finding them.

On a scale of 100 I would recon good/easy to talk to/no rip offs ...90%

Slightly dodgy but still OK.....5%.... :o

Definately a bit boy racer/smelly/stupid....whats he on about ...4%

and of course complete headbanging nutters.....never mind whats he on ABOUT ...but whats he ON? .... :D

A great story!! :o This certainly helps to bring a positive mood to many for the Songkran holiday during which there have been many unfortunate incidents. The British guy was very fortunate to have found an honest cab driver and police officer. So many cab drivers and cops would have been rounding up their buddies for a night of drinking and gambling with the guy's money. It is great to hear of such honesty and on top of that this cab driver is somebody who is not in the best financial situation. I hope this story makes its way all over Thailand since in the long run, honesty pays off. :D

It's a pity when it comes to telephones and small amounts of cash they don't do anything. I have lost my telephone in a taxi and the driver didn't answer it 5 minutes later. I have known only one person to have his returned out of over 10 cases.

what a great story! I wouldn't beleive it, unless my friend lost his wallet in taxi, and, after calling to taxi service he used to order, he got his money back, 100%.

6 years ago I jumped from taxi (from Pantip Plaza via Silom to Pattaya) to buy some refreshments, with two huge UPS left. The honourable driver was waiting for me, while I sat in Irish Pub with friend for 20minutes. I asked him, why he didn't left - he said he afraid that was a bombs. So he parked nearby and waited. amazingly, there are some really nice drivers, for the rest of them - thanks for entertainment.

Amazing, I thought I was lucky!

I left my wallet (5,000B) and passport in 7 eleven on KSR.

I'd been wondering around for a while (c.1hr) before realising i'd lost them, worked my way back round till I got to where i'd started (the pre mentioned 7-11), asked if it had been found, was asked where I was going next said 'Chang Mai' and received my missing items.

A hefty reward was spontaniously given, big smiles all round.

B