Farang Fugitive Arrested By Thai Immigration Police For Tax Evation

Rimmer

Pattaya, December 5 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] :

On Friday Afternoon, Immigration Police Officers led by Police Lieutenant Colonel Prapansak arrested a Hungarian National wanted back in his native country to face charges of tax evasion.

Mr. Peter Andras Sarkadi aged 55 was arrested at his house located at the SP Village Estate in Soi Siam Country Club. It was revealed that the suspect had opened a car showroom and failed to pay tax on his stock of vehicles amounting to the equivalent of 40 Million Baht.

Mr Sarkadi confirmed he was the man mentioned in the warrant and will be handed over to Hungarian Officials in Bangkok prior to his extradition back to his native country.

http://www.pattayaone.net/news

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]5 Dec 2009

post-22250-1260013103_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1260013116_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1260013133_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't know Hungary had extradition treaties with Thailand... I wonder how many countries actually have? Any numbers and names?

But the article does not mention if he had in fact avoided tax or had committed a crime in Thailand - interesting that Police acted on the warrant - probably thought if he owed 40M Baht then he could pay them a stipend to be left alone - who knows? Just because he is alleged to owe 40M Baht in Hungary does not necessarily mean he has any money personally.

Good luck - taxation is theft anyway! :)

One day my accountant in Australia received a letter from the Australian taxation office to said I add made money from a off shore account & I was illegal, need to declare it before 14 days or sanctions will be made.

After weeks of search, I find it was a bank account to my name in France , the bank close it and I received the sum of 32 euro

And of course...the boys in brown will see to it that his stock of cars are well looked after and safe whilst he sorts out his tax affairs :)

I read it that his car showroom was in Hungary so the Hungarian BiB are looking after his assets and probably giving them a run around the forests.

Anyway, as I understand tax evasion is not a crime, tax fraud is. We all evade tax by claiming various get outs. :D

Didn't know Hungary had extradition treaties with Thailand... I wonder how many countries actually have? Any numbers and names?

But the article does not mention if he had in fact avoided tax or had committed a crime in Thailand - interesting that Police acted on the warrant - probably thought if he owed 40M Baht then he could pay them a stipend to be left alone - who knows? Just because he is alleged to owe 40M Baht in Hungary does not necessarily mean he has any money personally.

Good luck - taxation is theft anyway! :D

:D oh yea, well said,, it would be interesting to find out which countries have extradition orders, has the uk ?? also taxation is THEFT, i still dont understand why we are all taxed so much, i aint sure about other countries?? but in england minimum on wages is 21% thats on the minimum wage of £5.65 an hour,, OMG thats criminal,, no wonder we are all struggling to get the flight money to los,,,lol :) ,,, plus stuff we buy has ,, Value add tax,, what the ffff is that all about,, we should all become gypsies and pay nothing ,,LOL what taxes do workers pay in thailand % wise??

One day my accountant in Australia received a letter from the Australian taxation office to said I add made money from a off shore account & I was illegal, need to declare it before 14 days or sanctions will be made.

After weeks of search, I find it was a bank account to my name in France , the bank close it and I received the sum of 32 euro

The interesting thing about the government pursuing you for so called tax evasion is that this is the money used to pay their nonproductive wages, gives you a warm glow inside to know that so much of every dollar is taken to largely pay bureaucrats whose sole purpose is to make your life more difficult with more regulation. And they wonder back home why we come to places like Thailand.

something very smelly with this news,

first of all, im hungarian too, and i know my country well, we never send officers, or try to get somebody abroad... we not even arrest peoples in our country who have tax fraud or evasion!

they may just try to hide the truth with some stupid story i guess...

i also checked hungarian news sites, nothing about this, we are a small county, if one of us arrested abroad, (especially if hungarian officers go to bkk) that should be a big new in my small country... but nothing about it... hmm

A bit bizarre isn't it? They say he has failed to pay a tax bill here, so they'll deport him to Hungary to pay a different one.

It seems clear that this isn't an extradition, but a deportation, and as a consequence, he gets to face charges in Hungary! Of course, if he has committed offences which can lead to his deportation then that is a bit silly but there must be more to it than that, otherwise every government in the world could repatriate anybody, anytime merely as part of a fishing expedition.

But anybody else smell fish?

A bit bizarre isn't it? They say he has failed to pay a tax bill here, so they'll deport him to Hungary to pay a different one.

It seems clear that this isn't an extradition, but a deportation, and as a consequence, he gets to face charges in Hungary! Of course, if he has committed offences which can lead to his deportation then that is a bit silly but there must be more to it than that, otherwise every government in the world could repatriate anybody, anytime merely as part of a fishing expedition.

But anybody else smell fish?

What's so bizarre?

There is a warrant out and it is an extradition.

If I read it correctly, there is no crime in Thailand.

The alleged crime was committed in Hungary.

I cannot see the confusion.

Regards

Will

Good luck - taxation is theft anyway! :D

:D oh yea, well said,, it would be interesting to find out which countries have extradition orders, has the uk ?? also taxation is THEFT, i still dont understand why we are all taxed so much, i aint sure about other countries?? but in england minimum on wages is 21% thats on the minimum wage of £5.65 an hour,, OMG thats criminal,, no wonder we are all struggling to get the flight money to los,,,lol :) ,,, plus stuff we buy has ,, Value add tax,, what the ffff is that all about,, we should all become gypsies and pay nothing ,,LOL what taxes do workers pay in thailand % wise??

So many questions. It's just another instance of the Thai English language press's poor news reporting. had the reporter done his job, we wouldn't be trying to guess what really happened. This happens all the time even in the Bangkok Post and The Nation.

It's just plain laziness and the habit of Thai reporters of never asking questions. I'm a journalist and I've been to many press conferences. The only reporters who ask questions are members of the foreign press. The Thai reporters are just spoon fed the info and it shows in articles like this one.

And of course...the boys in brown will see to it that his stock of cars are well looked after and safe whilst he sorts out his tax affairs :)

Well he's got enough dosh to make sure he doesn't go Hungry

Best laugh I have had today ROFPMSL

It won't be the gulag but rather goulash for this one !

I would have loved to see the face of the Thai officials who received such request. They must have been puzzled. All the yellow shirted people in their Benzes who never pay more than 20,000 baht a year must have been outraged over the request. Moreover the police chief could have arrested 10,000 more Farangs in Pattaya's upstanding community for the same offense which is in Thailand considered a virtue.

Well all very interestingly.

There is allegedly another Pattaya 2 wheel vehicle salesman wanted by interpol in connection with a substance offense in the UK, allegedly.

Apparently now allegedly residing in Hungary at his mothers address.

He is expected to be in the high court in Thailand around Christmas time on several charges of fraud.

:)

According to The Nation, as reported on Wiki Answers (i.e. none of this is verified), "At present, Thailand has extradition treaties with 14 countries - the US, UK, Canada, China, Belgium, Philippines, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, South Korea, Bangladesh, Fiji, and Australia."

Obviously, Cambodia has dropped off of this list.

According to The Nation, as reported on Wiki Answers (i.e. none of this is verified), "At present, Thailand has extradition treaties with 14 countries - the US, UK, Canada, China, Belgium, Philippines, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, South Korea, Bangladesh, Fiji, and Australia."

Obviously, Cambodia has dropped off of this list.

So, a good BKK (International) Lawyer's office should be able to prevent him to be extradited to Hungary; after all, he didn't commit a crime in Thailand...

Just a mere 800K Euro :)

It's all Thaksin's fault :D

LaoPo

Famous Quote: "Only the little people pay taxes" - Leona Helmsley............ :)

"Helmsley served 18 months in federal prison............." Her later years were apparently spent in isolation, especially after Harry died in 1997, leaving Leona his entire fortune (including the Helmsley hotels, the Helmsley Palace and the Empire State Building), estimated to be worth well in excess of $5 billion."

Poor Leona who died August 20, 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leona_Helmsle...sion_conviction

LaoPo

I read it that his car showroom was in Hungary so the Hungarian BiB are looking after his assets and probably giving them a run around the forests.

Anyway, as I understand tax evasion is not a crime, tax fraud is. We all evade tax by claiming various get outs. :D

Tax avoidance is not a crime, it's simply using provisions in the law to avoid paying unnecessary tax; tax evasion is a crime.