Teaching English - Neeed Someone To Hold My Hand...

Tenchu

Hello,

I'm sure these questions have been answered before, but I need to make double sure I get the right answers and I really need someone to hold my hand a bit coz []. So if you don't want to help me, don't post here; if you've the time to repeat yourself, I'll be greatful and thank you later in the thread.

I have a lot of experience in Thailand. I live in Thung Song; I'm married to a Thai wife; I got year long O visa for marriage; I've been here just over 2 years; I'm training and fighting Muay Thai and learning from an old Champion, Ole Kiet Oneway. So I do have some idea about things.

Story is, I'm enquiring about teaching English on my sisters behalf. She's coming over in a few months and thinking about learning diving stuff in Koh Tao and maybe teaching English. She's never been to Thailand before. She is extremely well educated; she's 30 years old and graduated from an Australian high school with outstanding results and spent the next several years doing masters in university; so I'm sure she's qualified to land a decent English job.

When I first came to Thailand, [] So I know what it's like being new here, and I want to save my sister from enduring the same thing, so I need help from other teachers to tell us what to do.

I'm not really even sure what questions to ask. You understand our situation, so please tell us the right steps to follow.

I was looking at this site:

www[dot]chichester.ac.th/index.php

Are these [], or is this a decent place?

I understand she'll need a certificate of sorts. So where did you guys get them and what are the better ones to get in order to land a decent job.

Also, once you've got the certificate, how will she find a job teaching at a decent school? She's be able to teach at a university, because she's extremely smart and well educated. But a high school or even primary school would be okay if it's good pay for her. She does like kids.

Finnally, work permit? Help needed.

Thanks heaps. I will check this thread everyday; so your time going to answer my questions will not be wasted.

Info on teaching in Thailand can also be found on www.ajarn.com. They have job listings and loads of info and a forum.

Next April the new school season starts, before that it might be difficult to find a job.

For teaching in Thailand you need a Bachelor degree and also a TEFL (many available sites, I did mine online). But many schools might take your sister without a TEFL. If she chooses to stay (and she doesn't have a teacher's license from her home country) she'd have to study on to become a teacher here.

The school should provide a work permit, health card, help with the year visa etc...

Wish your sister good luck!

Welcome, Tenchu.

Sometimes a bachelor's degree is not required (she has a master's anyway). The MOE and Labour do not require a TEFL cert but they're very helpful.

Check our pinned thread for questions about qualifications.

I know nothing about chichester. I recommend our forum sponsors.

Her school must help her secure a work permit or she leaves.

Starting without experience in BKK she might earn 35,000.

I hope this helps.

Hi Tenchu

The Tefl sure helps, especially aquainting someone new to Thailand with some of the customs, culture and difficulties Thais have with the language, worked for me anyway. The price quoted by Chichester for the course sounds about right and I have read some positive reports of the outfit in Chiang Mai. I did my course with another company in Khon Kaen and I was more than happy as the tutor was very proactive and had a good understanding of the teaching scene in Thailand.

Good Luck to you both

Aitch

I did my TEFL course on line with ITTT.

They also have a 'hands on' school in Phuket.

If your sister will live near you then you would want to find a school as close as possible.

The schools I interview required working a lot of hours and reporting to school early to greet the parents delivering students and staying late to do the same thing.

This would be for younger students and that would be where the jobs are for teachers with no experience.

I met a lot of teachers who got their first teaching job though friend recommendations so put the word out to your friends.

Where do you live and does your sister plan on being in the same city/area as you? If so, she should take her TEFL course nearby.

A TEFL isn't required, but unless she has some experience teaching it can be quite difficult.

Most of the schools can assist in finding jobs.

Best of luck.

The only expense I had was the $1500USD TEFL program. This was the average price. After that around mid to late feb to May there will be lots of job postings. Try Ajarn.com

The Thai school year has it's summer break from March to May.

IF she has a degree and dresses polite she shouldn't have much trouble at all.

Good luck to your sister and good luck in your training.

May I suggest that the most important decisions she should make is what level of school she would like to teach and where?

I teach at Rajabhat University, have taught at several, and never been asked for a teaching license, Tefl or anything else. They want to see copies of my BA and MA. That's it. NOTE: This is NOT in Bangkok.

Primary schools reportedly have higher standards. Odd isn't it?

Secondly, I teach in North Thailand and have interviewed for jobs in Isan. My experience is that in places like Kon Kaen, they are desperate for teachers and pay very well. I have an Aussie friend with no degree, no TEFL and he was snapped up in a jiffy to teach Anuban in Kon Kaen. But then, you need to go to Kon Kaen to understand why most falang don't want to live there.

If you really don't know anything about the Thai school system, you can teach elementary children, middle school, high school or college. Most of my friends, in Thailand (and the west) agree that high school is the hardest.

If she is willing to live outside of Bangkok or the major tourist areas, she should find getting a job very easy indeed. I do recommend the TEFL if she wants to teach children. A good TEFL course will give her all the materials and experience she needs to survive her first days. I'm not sure how well an online course actually prepares you, I took my TEFL in Chiang Mai and did actual teaching of several different schools. It was very good. Sadly, at University the TEFL is a complete waste of time. Really.

In any case, Good luck

If your sister does decide to get a TESOL certificate she might as well get one that lets her work back home. Even better, get one that genuinely equips her to teach and doesn't raise eyebrows amongst knowledgeable educators.

[/size]

Having taught EFL in Australia since the early 1990s, I can tell you that most of the certificates offered in Thailand aren't worth a tinker's when it comes to resettling and getting a job back home.

[/size]

Nearly all ESL/EFL colleges in Australia are accredited by a regulating authority called NEAS. http://www.neas.org.au/aboutneas/index.php Teachers employed at NEAS Accredited schools must have a university degree and a recognized TESOL qualification. There is a formula for what this entails, but it basically boils down to three options:

1. Internationally known qualifications like the CELTA/DELTA

2. Post Grad Qualifications in TESOL from universities

3. AQF Qualifications like the Certificate IV in TESOL http://www.aqf.edu.au

If you sister just needs a piece of paper with the word "TESOL" written in on, there are any number of shopfront or online providers that can churn one out for her. But if she really wants to improve her teaching skills then go for one of the options mentioned above.

I honestly don't know if they'll improve her chances of getting decent employment in Thailand, opinions vary. But a decent TESOL Certificate will more than pay for itself when it comes time to set up back home – Australia has a booming ELICOS industry and with experience and the right qualifications it's fairly easy to find work in any of the capital cities.

http://www.hothousemedia.com/ltm/ltmbackissues/apr09web/apr09marketreport.htm

http://www.aei.gov.au/AEI/PublicationsAndResearch/ResearchPapers/2009_1_SIA_2010_pdf.pdf

Edited by languageexpress

There is a simple solution to your quest.

Just have your sister apply to teach English at one of the Language

Schools like ECC or English First. Maybe other posters here can give you

a more complete list of them.

It is very easy to get hired at these schools.

The pay is a bit low but it is a sure fire way to get started teaching.

From there she can learn about the many options to teaching in

Thailand; Govt schools, Private schools, International schools,

University, etc.

Edited by paulfr

• 4 weeks later...
I have edited some of the unnecessarily violent imagery from the OP for the comfort of myself and other forum members. I trust that the OP will be reading this and other threads on the teaching subforum and will adjust his posting style somewhat in the future.
Well, sorry to the moderators; I'm not used to soft forums. But if I do not frequently mention "surprise sex" and "my behind" then there is no way for other users to grasp exactley how bad things are for scam victims... or perhaps some of them will know... in a REAL violent image of flash backs and repressed memories from their first month in Thailand where they spent 50 times more than they should have... an important notice to potential tourists, also.

As for everyone else, thanks for advice. I think it's sorted now.

Well, sorry to the moderators; I'm not used to soft forums. But if I do not frequently mention "surprise sex" and "my behind" then there is no way for other users to grasp exactley how bad things are for scam victims... or perhaps some of them will know... in a REAL violent image of flash backs and repressed memories from their first month in Thailand where they spent 50 times more than they should have... an important notice to potential tourists, also.

Oh dear. Tourists and newbies spending more than they should in a new country.

How unusual.