Quality - Unbiased - Newspapers Reporting Thailand And It's Politics

LaoPo

Quality - Unbiased - Newspapers Reporting Thailand and it's Politics

NOTE: I kindly request you to keep this topic civilized without bashing!; negative input is not welcome.

We all know the 2 major English newspapers in Thailand: The Nation & the Bangkok Post; (both with a rather small circulation of between 60-80,000/daily)

But, I would like to know from YOU which Newspapers and on line news sources (you consider) are reporting QUALITY, FAIR and UNBIASED news about Thailand and it's politics?

I'm talking newspapers/sources from Asia, Oceania (Australia & NZ), Europe, US and maybe other parts of the world; South Africa perhaps, South America, Central America ?

Newspaper/source names and eventual links please.

Thanks and your input is most welcome!

LaoPo

I don't know of any news sources in Thailand that are completely unbiased. I do know of some dissenting news sources that oppose the government line, but objectively that's a bias as well.

Still if you can balance the two usual suspects with those news sources then you can distill a reasonable picture. Add to that the international sources such as BBC, the Economist, FEER, various NGOs and you can stay reasonably informed on what really goes on and why.

All the overseas sources are jokes. Clueless writers who can't speak a word of Thai, are not located in the country, and have absolutely no idea what is going on. 2bangkok.com is quite good though, as they translate pages directly from the Thai sources. And they showcased the problem with the English language overseas reporting recently, they haven't the foggiest idea what is actually going on, because they have no one in the country, no one who can speak the language, and rely on often mistranslated news articles from the local English press from which they put their own spin on things to make a more interesting story. A story from the Nation about canceling a speech quickly becomes a story in Time about the entire days celebrations being canceled due to widespread discontent and fear, when such a thing never happened and was not even remotely plausible.

All the overseas sources are jokes. Clueless writers who can't speak a word of Thai, are not located in the country, and have absolutely no idea what is going on.

There is not a single domestic Thai news source that is trustworthy. They are all heavily censored by Thai law and or working for one government party or another. Asia-sentinel is probably the closest people will get to the truth aside from independent writers.

Independent writers have bias too. Don't get me wrong I love following Giles et al, but unbiased he is not. (Nor does he claim to be, of course)

Which quality newspapers from Europe and US are considered independent and unbiased, reporting about Asia...Thailand ?

LaoPo

UK 'Independant paper', summed samaks death up perfectly telling us he was bad but a week or so later a lovely birthday message for HM and always holiday deals to northern thailand and not phuket or the normal hel_l holes! Also the truth re PAD being terrorist thugs but also same towards toxin!

Not necessarily in order: Asia Sentinel, the Economist, the Irrawady, Asia Times, BBC, the Guardian. And Notthenation.com "for entertainment purposes only" of course.

BBC was not clueless when showing a thai buddhist monk fighting in the streets of bangkok in a yellow shirt

Or i think it was the Times london had photos of the police sending boat people back out to see!