Would You Do It And Retire Early?

Gary74

. ..................... But in Pattaya I think I would have a problem living for 50,000 baht a month. I tried it twice and I could not make it work...

If that is any help.

Also i find i am getting lonely for work some time.... Just me though.

Very honest of you to say that. Too many people say it is possible and it isn't really. Depends on the individual for sure but 50k is better suited to a week than a month in Pattaya.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it now before someone in the States ties you down with commitments there. You have plenty of time to return to the States if you don't like the change. Just make your number one job to protect and grow that nest egg.

50k a month ???? entertaining ladies and rent , drinks , ect ect i dont think so!!!!

I m agree with that. It very funny this world. Thai ladies want to come to the USA but American guy want to retire and live in Thailand.

If you want retire just for have funny and the ladies,drinks, go to bar every night 100,000 bath not enough for month.

Everywhere in the world the same thing.The happiness or not happiness from your mind. but I think you have to think about your country first because you have family ,friend ,Job, The happy life not it mean just entertain Thai ladies .No money no honey in Thailand.

if you want to retire you have to get the job and find good Thai ladies to married.

if you married with Thai ladies live in Bangkok it difficult to find the job.

if she live in Isaan or North of Thailand maybe you can do the farmer.

they didn t have the saraly but they can have life ,because they can plant vegetable ,rice ,farm fish,farm kitchen, I think you will enjoy life. they can take care family, They don t need money to much.They don t worry about the bill,

USA it big country and this country have opportunity for everybody.safety,hight technology, alot of place beautifull same in thailand but I don t know why american guy want to move to Thailand but Thailadies want to move to USA. so funny world.

I have been considering the move for 12 months now, but my mother's heart attack in October last year has somewhat stalled things a bit.

Although there is other family to help look after her, its difficult for me to walk away.

Might never be able to do it now.

Maybe 3 month on 3 month off.

• 2 months later...

Not everyone lives in Bangkok or Pattaya

I live in ChiangMai and 50,000bht a month is plenty to live on out here, I know plenty of guys living very nicely on 1,000bht a day (inc)

3 bedroom house out-of-town, 7000bht/month

2 bedroom house out of town, 5000bht/month

Condo in town, 6,000bht/month

add internet, telephone, electricity, water at about 1500bht (without air-con)

Western meals about 100bht, Thai meals 35bht

Add to that beer and girls, plenty of change from 50,000bht

So have you done it? or are you going to?

Edited by sarahsbloke

I live in ChiangMai and 50,000bht a month is plenty to live on out here, I know plenty of guys living very nicely on 1,000bht a day (inc)

I've visited Chiang Mai and lived in Buriram as well as Pattaya and I agree that housing is much cheaper. We had a 3 bed 2 bath house for 5k a month for instance. Water was cheaper or free as well, though that is hardly a great expense.

Internet, electric, UBC, they are all the same. A beer in the most expensive bar will be far cheaper than a beer in the most expensive bar in Pattaya but at the bottom end, the prices are nearly identical. Prices for fish are much higher than Pattaya and the quality and range is lower. 7/11 charges the same for everything as far as I can see. Food costs are the same, give or take a couple of baht. Prices at the market are no different to be honest.

What is certain in many provincial towns is that you will need your own transport as public transport is limited. I don't mean motor bikes here as you cannot do a big shop or put all the family on the back of a motorbike. In Pattaya you can easily hire a taxi to take you to Tesco or Carrefour, wait and then take you home with all your stuff. Not always even possible up country.

So I put the actual savings down to very little actually, unless you were spending 30k a month on a house in Pattaya. The big change is that you are not using bars on every corner as the social hub. Take a few drinks at home with friends and you've not spent much. Hit a Pattaya bar and Bt500 can go in an hour or two. Not quite the same and that is where the savings are made I think. As for females, those you do not pay for directly are the same cost all over but those you do pay for can cost more in the boonies than in Pattaya.

In my opinion, it is the change of life outside places like Pattaya which saves you money rather than the place actually being significantly cheaper, housing aside.

I am seriously considering it. I have done well but feel that I am too young to jump overseas. Right now, I am 35. I will be working overseas in a warzone as a contactor in the coming months. I am thinking that after a year, I will try the work 6 months on and 6 months off. We will see. I will definitely be revisiting. I just want to hear of others who have made the move and what they think so far. It is too bad that money is always everyone's greatest concern. It is hard to leave a country where u can make so much money and go to a country/kingdom where you can earn so little.

I've visited Chiang Mai and lived in Buriram as well as Pattaya and I agree that housing is much cheaper. We had a 3 bed 2 bath house for 5k a month for instance. Water was cheaper or free as well, though that is hardly a great expense.

Internet, electric, UBC, they are all the same. A beer in the most expensive bar will be far cheaper than a beer in the most expensive bar in Pattaya but at the bottom end, the prices are nearly identical. Prices for fish are much higher than Pattaya and the quality and range is lower. 7/11 charges the same for everything as far as I can see. Food costs are the same, give or take a couple of baht. Prices at the market are no different to be honest.

What is certain in many provincial towns is that you will need your own transport as public transport is limited. I don't mean motor bikes here as you cannot do a big shop or put all the family on the back of a motorbike. In Pattaya you can easily hire a taxi to take you to Tesco or Carrefour, wait and then take you home with all your stuff. Not always even possible up country.

So I put the actual savings down to very little actually, unless you were spending 30k a month on a house in Pattaya. The big change is that you are not using bars on every corner as the social hub. Take a few drinks at home with friends and you've not spent much. Hit a Pattaya bar and Bt500 can go in an hour or two. Not quite the same and that is where the savings are made I think. As for females, those you do not pay for directly are the same cost all over but those you do pay for can cost more in the boonies than in Pattaya.

In my opinion, it is the change of life outside places like Pattaya which saves you money rather than the place actually being significantly cheaper, housing aside.